Wingnut emails, sorry poor formatting.... it's from wingnuts

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Wingnut emails, sorry poor formatting.... it's from wing

Unread post by mike »

JTA wrote:
mike wrote:
Vrede wrote:I'd add shaping the "interpretations" to fit the current politics, culture, power structure, prejudices, hates and fears with malicious intent. Not that there isn't good intent, too, but it generally doesn't lead to as many absurdities (and destructiveness), whether or not one finds religion itself to be absurd.
Agreed, too, Vrede.

As I read, once again, through Ecclesiastes I am reminded that nothing is new (in the realm of man's struggle to live and find happiness); all has been done before; we're just chasing the wind.

The conclusion of Ecclesiastes?

Eat, drink and be merry! Image Image
When I read through the bible a few years ago, I found Ecclesiastes the most interesting. It felt like it didn't really fit with the rest of the bible. Very Existentialist.
As it should be. Really. :thumbup:
I'm not going to pound it into your head and, as I mentioned, don't pound it into my head the desire to not believe, ok?
Really, most of the believers I know are not much different, politically and ethically speaking, than those here forever attacking the those of us who do believe (specifically speaking of Christ).

When do we get the Muslim or Jewish hate posts? Image

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

mike wrote:
I don't know...maybe when they get to be a 75% majority and make the resulting minority "join them" in their prayer before city council meetings and want their icons on government property and insist that the USA is a "Muslim country" or a "Jewish state."

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

O Really wrote:
mike wrote:
I don't know...maybe when they get to be a 75% majority and make the resulting minority "join them" in their prayer before city council meetings and want their icons on government property and insist that the USA is a "Muslim country" or a "Jewish state."
Again, as you paint a broad brush, once again, you do not speak of the majority of Christians I know.

Certainly, there are those of us out there who understand the separation of Church and State; even though the exact words are not in the Constitution, I realize the intent is there.

If y'all want to continue marginalizing us, without specificity, have at it, I guess. Image

O Really
Admiral

mike wrote:
O Really wrote:
mike wrote:
Again, as you paint a broad brush, once again, you do not speak of the majority of Christians I know.

Certainly, there are those of us out there who understand the separation of Church and State; even though the exact words are not in the Constitution, I realize the intent is there.

If y'all want to continue marginalizing us, without specificity, have at it, I guess. Image
No disrespect to you personally, Mike, nor to those who do understand the separation of Church and State. But face it, it's not just the fringes who don't have a clue of that concept. I can find, with minimal effort, numerous examples of municipalities and counties that choose to spend lots of money on legal defense of their "right" to enforce governmental prayer. Those supporting that include a lot of mainline Christians, though not necessarily Catholics. I can find, with minimal effort, lots of examples of people insisting that "prayer is illegal in schools" which obviously it isn't. Your own group of Catholics had their shorts in a wad about their insurance companies health plan covering contraceptives for non-Catholics. But I'm not on a soapbox about them. I'm just answering your question. The minorities rebel against repression from the majority.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

I can respect that, Counselor. However, I think it important to mention that the broad brush painted here, all too often, regarding Christians, does not apply to all and many of us are working to change such.

Again:

O Really
Admiral

mike wrote:I can respect that, Counselor. However, I think it important to mention that the broad brush painted here, all too often, regarding Christians, does not apply to all and many of us are working to change such.
It does not apply to all. No doubt. Probably not even a majority.
It does, unfortunately, apply to the most vocal ones. Those such as yourself need to speak up, much as the non-jihadist Muslims need to be more vocal in their disavowing of the more extreme in their religion.

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

O Really wrote:
mike wrote:I can respect that, Counselor. However, I think it important to mention that the broad brush painted here, all too often, regarding Christians, does not apply to all and many of us are working to change such.
It does, unfortunately, apply to the most vocal ones. Those such as yourself need to speak up, much as the non-jihadist Muslims need to be more vocal in their disavowing of the more extreme in their religion.
Agreed, Counselor. I'll keep trying on my end.

Thank you for your measured replies.

Much respect, sir. Image

Dryer Vent
Pilot Officer

Unread post by Dryer Vent »

O Really wrote:
When we Christians try to speak up about the fringe elements that are trying to turn this country into a theocracy, we are met with vile response.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

mike wrote: When do we get the Muslim or Jewish hate posts?
The Quran was a terrible book. :thumbdown:
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

Well, the very brief critique of the absurdity (and I should have added bloodthirstiness)
of the OT should cover the Jewish "hate" posts. I can't do the same with Muslims, because
I've never read the Quran and likely never will. But I suspect that there is a fair amount
of absurdity and bloodthirstiness in it too. So everything now balances out.

An article about the Boy Scouts mentioned that while gays may soon be allowed in, there
will be no change in the no atheists policy. We've still got it. :thumbup: