2024 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: 2024 Elections

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:53 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:35 am
Before there was Faux, back when Cronkite was the "most trusted man in America", there were supermarket tabloids, including "National Enquirer", "Star" and some others I don't remember. They all had outrageous stories of alien probes, celebrity "scandals", "secrets" discovered, yada. A lot of people bought the papers, even more snuck a read while waiting in line, but I don't think all that many really believed most of it. Maybe they did - and they became believers in Faux and kept breeding. And their kids' eyes kept getting closer together and they all started to look alike.
Bingo
I watched it happen to my sisters.
I'm really sorry.
No offence, but they would have been better off getting some physicall disease that might be curable.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:27 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:53 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:35 am
Before there was Faux, back when Cronkite was the "most trusted man in America", there were supermarket tabloids, including "National Enquirer", "Star" and some others I don't remember. They all had outrageous stories of alien probes, celebrity "scandals", "secrets" discovered, yada. A lot of people bought the papers, even more snuck a read while waiting in line, but I don't think all that many really believed most of it. Maybe they did - and they became believers in Faux and kept breeding. And their kids' eyes kept getting closer together and they all started to look alike.
Bingo
I watched it happen to my sisters.
I'm really sorry.
No offence, but they would have been better off getting some physicall disease that might be curable.
The husband of one is completely rabid in his hate for anything perceived as liberal. They all follow him, kids included.
I've quit associating with them.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:14 pm

The husband of one is completely rabid in his hate for anything perceived as liberal. They all follow him, kids included.
I think that's a big part of the larger problem, the part about "anything perceived as liberal." Those people are the ones who will vote against their own interests just because some Dem voted for it. They'll pass up some really good foods because they think only leftist California people eat avocado toast or fish tacos. Similar, but more serious, than somebody refusing to wear a perfectly neutral red shirt because the Bammer people wear that. Or the numerology people who assign a deep meaning to all numbers, without regard that sometimes "666" is just the number following 665.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:42 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 12:14 pm

I think that's a big part of the larger problem, the part about "anything perceived as liberal." Those people are the ones who will vote against their own interests just because some Dem voted for it. They'll pass up some really good foods because they think only leftist California people eat avocado toast or fish tacos. Similar, but more serious, than somebody refusing to wear a perfectly neutral red shirt because the Bammer people wear that. Or the numerology people who assign a deep meaning to all numbers, without regard that sometimes "666" is just the number following 665.
I agree with everything, except wearing red. Can you imagine my shame if mistaken for a bammer?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:08 pm

I agree with everything, except wearing red. Can you imagine my shame if mistaken for a bammer?
Just funning - but that's the point exactly. Put on a logo-free red shirt and only in your own mind does it relate to Bammer. Others might think you were a fan of Nebraska, Stanford, Oklahoma, NC State. Or Tiger Woods. Or nothing. But to you it means only Bammer so you refuse to wear it even though it's a very nice shirt that your wife likes and you look good in. When your sisters and others see the world only through a right/left political lens, without any gradient of gray, they end up with a lot of self-limiting distortion.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:18 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 1:08 pm

Just funning - but that's the point exactly. Put on a logo-free red shirt and only in your own mind does it relate to Bammer. Others might think you were a fan of Nebraska, Stanford, Oklahoma, NC State. Or Tiger Woods. Or nothing. But to you it means only Bammer so you refuse to wear it even though it's a very nice shirt that your wife likes and you look good in. When your sisters and others see the world only through a right/left political lens, without any gradient of gray, they end up with a lot of self-limiting distortion.
Or MAGA.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

I could see him being that stupid.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:14 am

https://twitter.com/realTuckFrumper/sta ... 2519095751
Who else is stupid enough to run with P01135809?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:45 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:14 am

https://twitter.com/realTuckFrumper/sta ... 2519095751
Who else is stupid enough to run with P01135809?
I hope you're right. This would be too funny.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:15 pm
And Alabama is thumbing its nose at the Supreme Court ruling on its illegally gerrymandered districts.
Fishslapped, again:

Federal court strikes down Alabama congressional map for diluting Black votes – again

Send in federal troops . . . and Jimmy Carter.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:23 am
O Really wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:15 pm
And Alabama is thumbing its nose at the Supreme Court ruling on its illegally gerrymandered districts.
Fishslapped, again:

Federal court strikes down Alabama congressional map for diluting Black votes – again

Send in federal troops . . . and Jimmy Carter.
2 of the unanimous 3 judges are Dolt .45 appointees. The racist, democracy-hating GQP Leg, Gov and AG must be idiots.
:---P :---P

Alabama Is Quickly Discovering the Dangers of Defying the Supreme Court

Comments:
Just over 10 years ago the Supreme Court gutted the Voting Rights Act of 1965. The Chief Justice in his opinion told us that race was no longer an issue. Subsequently, North Carolina passed a "voting integrity law" that disenfranchised minority voters with surgical precision. Now Alabama is in total defiance of the courts.

Starting with Citizens United, this court has made some the worst decisions in the history of the court based on very specious logic and evidence. Shelby v Holder may be the most damaging to the republic and if Roberts and Thomas had an ounce of integrity, they would resign.
I asked my law professor during a class what if I took a certain position on such-and-such issue, my hypothetical position was rather ludicrous. Without a pause, the professor said that the judge would ask if I went to law school in Alabama.
It's happening in Florida as well; the Republican legislature drew up a gerrymandered map giving their party a huge advantage but it wasn't enough for Governor DeFascist, who proceeded to redraw the lines splitting up mostly black areas into heavily Republican districts so they would always be a minority. A federal judge ruled this blatant attempt to dilute the black vote as unconstitutional
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I almost spewed tea on this one:

Headline: "Trump dismisses Democrats’ arguments he could be removed from ballot under 14th Amendment"

Trump's comment: "“Almost all legal scholars have voiced opinions that the 14th Amendment has no legal basis or standing relative to the upcoming 2024 Presidential Election,” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post."

:lol: Like Trump would know or understand what a "legal scholar" said.
:lol: A relatively tiny number of "legal scholars" have weighed in on the issue, and among those who have, most say a 14th Amendment solution is at the very least an arguable possibility.
:lol: The only people who have written that the 14th has "no legal basis" are Trump's propagandists
:lol: Sure most who have written are in Trump's opposition, but they've set forth comprehensive and credible reasoning supporting the idea that Trump may be ineligible, and the effort to make that case in the states is increasing.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:22 pm

Headline: "Trump dismisses Democrats’ arguments he could be removed from ballot under 14th Amendment"

Trump's comment: "“Almost all legal scholars have voiced opinions that the 14th Amendment has no legal basis or standing relative to the upcoming 2024 Presidential Election,” Trump wrote in a Truth Social post."

:lol: Like Trump would know or understand what a "legal scholar" said.
:lol: A relatively tiny number of "legal scholars" have weighed in on the issue, and among those who have, most say a 14th Amendment solution is at the very least an arguable possibility.
:lol: The only people who have written that the 14th has "no legal basis" are Trump's propagandists
:lol: Sure most who have written are in Trump's opposition, but they've set forth comprehensive and credible reasoning supporting the idea that Trump may be ineligible, and the effort to make that case in the states is increasing.
:lol:

Guess trump's not listening to the right lawyers again.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:17 am

https://twitter.com/svdate/status/1699037063574696083
Fta, legal scholars who aren't in Trump's opposition:
... And while the liberal-leaning group Free Speech for People has been demanding that elections officials in all 50 states and the District of Columbia honor that prohibition by keeping Trump off primary and general election ballots, those efforts were recently boosted by unlikely allies. Two law professors, both members of the conservative Federalist Society, released a lengthy law review article concluding that Trump is absolutely disqualified from running for office because of his Jan. 6 actions....
:---P :---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Who do young Republicans want to win in 2024? Spoiler alert: It's not necessarily Donald Trump.

... Conservatives in their teens, 20s and 30s told USA TODAY they thought DeSantis was one of two winners of the first GOP debate last month, along with former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley. The Florida governor narrowly beat Trump, 36.6% to 35.4%, in an informal straw poll of about 300 attendees at the National Young Republicans Convention in Dallas in August....

Trump continues to lead in Republican primary polls, by almost 40 percentage points over DeSantis in some recent surveys.

But pockets of young voters are showing their support for the Florida governor. For example, a poll of about 90 high school activists at a leadership program in March in Naples, Florida, showed DeSantis beating Trump 54% to 45%, Atkins explained.
:roll: Great, a new generation of idiots and fascists.
The founder and former chairman of the High School Republican National Federation, Atkins, 18, said he thinks Trump on the ballot next November will hurt the party’s overall chances.

“If he is the nominee, we'll probably lose the House of Representatives. We won't win as many seats in the Senate as we hope. And we're not even going to end up winning the White House,” he said. “So really, if we want to win in 2024 and if we want to make a change, we need to nominate somebody who appeals to the broader American public.”

His concerns are shared by Rafael Struve, communications director for the Texas Young Republicans. He said the former president’s legal battles may not bode well for Republicans in a general election. Trump has been indicted on four sets of criminal charges this year, including allegations he tried to steal the 2020 presidential election.

“We really do need independents and moderates to sway in our direction,” Struve, 31, said....
All true, and more RepuQs may come to agree as the legal cases progress.

Whack9's neighbors:
... Upstate in Greenville, South Carolina, DeSantis fared well with a crowd of young conservatives who gathered to watch the first Republican debate last month. About 60% said the governor was their first choice for president, and 40% said he was their second choice in a straw poll at the end of the night.

Still, several voters at the watch party said they would vote for whichever Republican is on the ballot next fall....
:puke-left: :puke-left: :puke-left:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2023 6:15 pm

:puke-left: :puke-left: :puke-left:
We are never going to understand.

Frankly, if asked I'd bet the majority of cons couldn't give a coherent explanation either.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 1:17 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:22 pm

https://twitter.com/svdate/status/1699037063574696083
Official removed from office under 14th Amendment speaks out as Trump case looms

... Former Otero County, New Mexico, Commissioner Couy Griffin was disqualified almost exactly a year ago after Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics (CREW) sued to eject him from his role under Section 3 of the 14th Amendment....
:crybaby: Insurrections have consequences. Note the utter inability to take personal responsibility for his predicament. Trumpettes are idiots and cowards.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Race to Be Trump’s Running Mate Begins as Noem Endorses Him

She's an idiot and an asshole, but she might be a formidable VP candidate roping in some indy women. She could also be our first female POTUS given P01135809's age and health :ateeth: . Wouldn't that be ironic?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:41 pm

She's an idiot and an asshole, but she might be a formidable VP candidate roping in some indy women. She could also be our first female POTUS given P01135809's age and health :ateeth: . Wouldn't that be ironic?
And like trump, almost every word out of her mouth is a lie that her followers accept

My poor family had to take out a loan when Dad died because of the death tax
No tax as Mom was still alive
The loan was for turning the ranch into a dude ranch / vacation resort.

She's a liar

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:24 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 9:41 pm

And like trump, almost every word out of her mouth is a lie that her followers accept

My poor family had to take out a loan when Dad died because of the death tax
No tax as Mom was still alive
The loan was for turning the ranch into a dude ranch / vacation resort.

She's a liar
:thumbup: MAGAts are too slow to notice.

Gavin Newsom Names The Donald Trump Trait That’s More Threatening Than DeSantis
The California governor warned it was “more of a threat” to democracy.

California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) described 2024 Republican presidential candidate Ron DeSantis as “functionally authoritarian” in a new interview with NBC’s Chuck Todd that broadcast on Sunday.
Dysfunctionally authoritarian the way his campaign is going.
But when Newsom was pressed on who he believes is the biggest threat to American democracy right now, the governor said it was Trump because of his desire for revenge.

“I worry about the fetishness for autocracy that we’re seeing not just from Trump, but around the world, and notably across this country,” Newsom told Todd.

“I’ve made the point about DeSantis that I think he’s functionally authoritarian. I’m worried more, in many respects, about Trumpism, which transcends well beyond his term and time in tenure,” he added.

Todd asked Newsom which of the 2024 Republican rivals posed a “greater threat to democracy.”

Newsom said he was “concerned about democracy fundamentally.”

Todd asked again.

“I think the vengeance in Donald Trump’s heart right now is more of a threat,” he responded.
Can't argue with any of that, Gavin.
Trump in March told supporters that if he won back the White House, he would come for their detractors.

“I am your retribution,” he said....
:roll: :puke-left:
1312. ETTD.