Wargames

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: Wargames

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:21 pm
No way is a gay Black high school jock believable, nor would be a disabled delinquent. All the characters in the original were, within the bounds of being a movie, very believable and represented people that probably all of us knew (or were) in high school. That's what made it so good.
LOL

Another John Hughes movie that was filmed in my "backyard".

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088847/lo ... _locations

I knew them all in one form or another.
Andrew Clark: We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.
Yep.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Yeah "Fast Times at Ridgemont High" was based on real people at Clairmont High in San Diego. Might have been an 80's film, but you can still see most of those characters hanging out at the beach regularly. Of course, the Mall doesn't play much of a role anymore as it did back then.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Big box stores don't afford teens the same freedom that malls used to. :(
O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 2:21 pm
No way is a gay Black high school jock believable, nor would be a disabled delinquent. All the characters in the original were, within the bounds of being a movie, very believable and represented people that probably all of us knew (or were) in high school. That's what made it so good.
Looks like I challenged your stereotypes. Someone needs to rewatch The Breakfast Club :P

I'll bet that Michael Sam was gay in high school, but maybe he only realized it after completing his college football career :wave:

9 Famous Disabled Criminals Who Committed Crime Despite Their Ailments
Oscar Pistorius tops the list. I had a high school friend who was pretty delinquent, permanent crutches for some reason.

I agree that the movie's believability was targetted at people like us, but our hetero, White, middle and upper class BRD demographic is rather narrow. I loved it and still do. I'd have to watch the entire interview, but I don't think that still acting Molly Ringwald and still acting theater professor Sheedy were criticizing the 1983 original. Rather, they are saying what any theoretical remake should look like. I respect their expert opinions on the topic.

Fwiw, I think The Breakfast Club has been deconstructed more than any film since Citizen Kane. I know that I've gotten in many and varied discussions about it. Maybe not "more", but still a lot.

AOC and diverse friends, including a Boston Terrier, getting their Breakfast Club dancing freak on:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qj2Xald7NYQ

1980s mashup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XtE-xnPKj28
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I didn't intend to imply that having a disabled delinquent or a gay high school jock was impossible, just unlikely enough to affect the believability of the characters. We're not talking about ninja turtles or "Grease" here. We're talking about characters that the viewer can see and say "hey, I knew that guy when I was in high school"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:41 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:30 am
A challenge! Andrew Clark would not have given up.
We were both younger back then.
:lol: Good point.

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:14 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:46 am
When she was in The Breakfast Club she had a small resemblance to my former wife.
"Basket case" Allison Reynolds, who was not even sentenced to Saturday detention, or post-makeover Allison?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGQI29nli1k

I think it's laudable that she and Molly Ringwald agreed in the 30th anniversary interview this year that any remake should be more racially and elsewise (sexual orientation, other?) diverse. I see that City College of New York theater professor Sheedy has a trans son.
Basket case version.....actually, when I worked at Asheville Industries in Arden, I had a small photo of my wife on my desk at work. It was just her in some sort of wooly black coat; her hair was about the same length as Ally's in the movie, one hand up by the side of her face sort of brushing part of her hair back, trees in the background. One day a woman who worked near my place stopped by my desk and asked me who the photo was. I told her it's my wife and she said it reminds her of "that crazy girl in The Breakfast Club" and I had to agree with her. This was about 86 or so. I've still got that photo sitting on my bedroom table.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 7:08 am
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 12:14 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 8:46 am
When she was in The Breakfast Club she had a small resemblance to my former wife.
"Basket case" Allison Reynolds, who was not even sentenced to Saturday detention, or post-makeover Allison?

Basket case version.....actually, when I worked at Asheville Industries in Arden, I had a small photo of my wife on my desk at work. It was just her in some sort of wooly black coat; her hair was about the same length as Ally's in the movie, one hand up by the side of her face sort of brushing part of her hair back, trees in the background. One day a woman who worked near my place stopped by my desk and asked me who the photo was. I told her it's my wife and she said it reminds her of "that crazy girl in The Breakfast Club" and I had to agree with her. This was about 86 or so. I've still got that photo sitting on my bedroom table.
Posted with permission, ex-Mrs neoplacebo:

I see the resemblance. Allison Reynolds:

1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Yep

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Wait, what?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 10:12 am
Wait, what?
Yep, neoplacebo was married to an Ally Sheedy lookalike and we weren't :( :P
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:10 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wait, what?
We're not worthy.

:clap: :-||

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:51 am
Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:10 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wait, what?
We're not worthy.

:clap: :-||
:lol: I probably wasn't either.....but thanks, guys.