Tourons

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Tourons

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Tragic for sure

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/2024/02/21 ... perts-say/

And everyone but those responsible are throughly blamed. For that matter in the almost dozen articles about this event, the blame is spread even to agencies that don’t exist, but not once is a parent deemed responsible for allowing their 7 year old child to have digging equipment to dig an automobile sized hole on public property and die in a cave in.

Most people may not know that you can suffocate in a 2 foot sand hole due to sand movement during your exhale that prevents you from getting your next breath, but that’s not what happened here. These idiots let their kids do something they would never have allowed at home.
As bad as mom and dad sending their toddler over to pet the cuddly buffalo.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Tourons

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:41 pm
Tragic for sure

Same article, no paywall:
https://www.yahoo.com/news/girl-died-sa ... 00225.html

I agree.
Can't have govt nannies on every beach everywhere.

I was curious about the parents:
Were both there?
Where are they from? Landlocked state?
Were one or both distracted by something?

Even though the kids are IDed, the parents are not IDed or quoted. Odd.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 8:04 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tragic for sure

I agree.

I was curious about the parents:
Were both there?
Where are they from? Landlocked state?
Were one or both distracted by something?

Even though the kids are IDed, the parents are not IDed or quoted. Odd.
Kids, construction workers and miners have been dying in cave-ins everywhere forever.

We locked a young couple up a couple of weeks ago because their kid jumped off of a hotel balcony. Careless gun toting parents and drunk parents are prosecuted for killing their kids all the time.

The link at LNF went to 8 or 10 news stories and not one even suggested parental responsibility. Photos show a hole that would have required far more than a couple of child sand shovels.

1- beach dangers are clearly pointed out at every counties tourism website, posted at real estate companies, hotel lobbies, etc

2 - who restores the damages to the beach caused by these tourism?

3 - the parents should be arrested.

Try this

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

You linked the same article on the same site :headscratch:

I agree with your post except we don't know for sure yet that the parents were there. Babysitter? Kids escaped from the hotel? Could be that the parents have lawyered up, hence no comms from or about them -0-?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Now they're saying some (adult) guy originally dug the hole and the kids climbed in to play and maybe dig a little more

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This report also speculates that the hole was dug by one or more adults. I guess both parents were there. No word on whether they also blame the lack of lifeguards. Not entirely landlocked, as I had speculated, but Lake Erie and Lake Michigan are both about 2 hours away from the tourist family's home in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5kRNC_pgko'

:cry:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:10 am
This report also speculates that the hole was dug by one or more adults. I guess both parents were there. No word on whether they also blame the lack of lifeguards. Not entirely landlocked, as I had speculated, but Lake Erie and Lake Michigan are both about 2 hours away from the tourist family's home in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5kRNC_pgko'

:cry:
Why would the town be required to have lifeguards?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:45 am
Ask the people that gripe about it. All I posted was that in this IE report the parents are not among them. As for me:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tragic for sure

I agree.

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:04 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:45 am
Ask the people that gripe about it. All I posted was that in this IE report the parents are not among them. As for me:
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tragic for sure

I agree.

“Girl who died in sand hole at Florida beach is identified; lifeguards could have prevented tragedy, experts say”

“911 calls from the scene of a girl trapped in the sand detail a frantic rescue effort”

Mom and dad present but evidently more concerned with their cheap no lifeguard beach than they were their parental responsibilities.
You can’t turn around without seeing Beach Safety Info

“The father started yelling for help,” one of the callers said. “The child is caught in a hole in the sand they were digging. The mom is yelling the daughter is in there.”

And finally something that makes sense

“7-year-old girl dies playing in sand on Florida beach: How to keep children safe”

Emphasis “How to keep children safe”

“According to NPR reports, previous medical studies shows that about three to five children die in the United States each year when a sand hole they are digging at the beach, a park or at home collapses on top of them. Other children are seriously injured and require CPR.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I'll take your word for it, the sun-sentinel has that paywall.

IF it's true that adult/s dug the hole, give them partial blame for creating an irresistible child trap. It also means that the parent lapse may have been seconds rather than minutes or hours. Since I was a good swimmer my mom would pull out a book and leave me to crash about in the waves with my raft for hours. There were lifeguards, but I don't think that they were sand hole aware 55 years ago. I know that I never got cautioned.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:25 am
I'll take your word for it, the sun-sentinel has that paywall.

IF it's true that adult/s dug the hole, give them partial blame for creating an irresistible child trap. It also means that the parent lapse may have been seconds rather than minutes or hours. Since I was a good swimmer my mom would pull out a book and leave me to crash about in the waves with my raft for hours. There were lifeguards, but I don't think that they were sand hole aware 55 years ago. I know that I never got cautioned.

NPR nails it. Deaths every year at “digging at the beach, a park or at home”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:31 am
NPR nails it. Deaths every year at “digging at the beach, a park or at home
Sounds like the parents take responsibility while pleading ignorance of the danger:
Family of Sloan Mattingly, 7-year-old girl who died after getting buried in sand, speaks out

... Now, her parents are speaking out for the first time to honor their daughter and raise awareness about beach safety ahead of spring break.

"We're the people that other parents or family members kind of roll their eyes at because we're a little overprotective most of the time and think of everything," Therese Mattingly told ABC News correspondent Erielle Reshef in an exclusive interview from the family's home in Fort Wayne, Indiana. "When we go to the beach, we think of water safety. And this never, ever once crossed my mind."
Sounds like a lack of awareness rather than a lack of parental monitoring.
... Therese Mattingly said the collapse happened "really fast."

"That part just hurts really bad because it didn't matter that we were literally right there," she said. "It was just a hole, and then there's nothing."

... The family hopes that by speaking out about what happened to Sloan, they can help prevent another family from going through the same tragedy.

"I don't know what steps to take in order for that to happen -- for, you know, signage or lifeguards or patrol," Therese Mattingly said. "But hopefully we can make some sort of change from this."
I can accept that phrasing. They're not blaming beach management, they're just seeking things that may help avoid repeats. The City seems okay with that:
Chris Vincent, mayor of Lauderdale by the Sea, thanked the family for working with them to inform others about what can happen with sand holes.

“First and foremost, our heavy hearts remain with Sloan’s family,” Vincent said in his statement. “As a father myself, I can’t fathom what they are going through. I want to thank them for staying in contact with us as we develop a national public safety campaign in Sloan’s memory. We will share it with as many coastal communities as possible to help prevent another unimaginable tragedy. We’re also discussing how we monitor our beach, a local Ordinance to ban digging on our beach, and the best way to honor Sloan.”

According to Karen Daniels, a physicist at North Carolina State University who studies how sand moves, for safety she advises beachgoers not to go deeper than the knee of the smallest person when digging a sand hole....
That's good to know, a universal standard that I would feel comfortable citing for others who are digging.
Daniels recommends that if you're burying a friend in the sand, it's better not to dig but to cover the friend with sand at the ground level so the foundation is sturdier....
Also good to know, though a little burying might be cool if the aim is to prank the unsuspecting :twisted:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 8:51 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 9:31 am
NPR nails it. Deaths every year at “digging at the beach, a park or at home
Sounds like the parents take responsibility while pleading ignorance of the danger:
Family of Sloan Mattingly, 7-year-old girl who died after getting buried in sand, speaks out

... Now, her parents are speaking out for the first time to honor their daughter and raise awareness about beach safety ahead of spring break.

"We're the people that other parents or family members kind of roll their eyes at because we're a little overprotective most of the time and think of everything," Therese Mattingly told ABC News correspondent Erielle Reshef in an exclusive interview from the family's home in Fort Wayne, Indiana. "When we go to the beach, we think of water safety. And this never, ever once crossed my mind."
Sounds like a lack of awareness rather than a lack of parental monitoring.
... Therese Mattingly said the collapse happened "really fast."

"That part just hurts really bad because it didn't matter that we were literally right there," she said. "It was just a hole, and then there's nothing."

... The family hopes that by speaking out about what happened to Sloan, they can help prevent another family from going through the same tragedy.

"I don't know what steps to take in order for that to happen -- for, you know, signage or lifeguards or patrol," Therese Mattingly said. "But hopefully we can make some sort of change from this."
I can accept that phrasing. They're not blaming beach management, they're just seeking things that may help avoid repeats. The City seems okay with that:
Chris Vincent, mayor of Lauderdale by the Sea, thanked the family for working with them to inform others about what can happen with sand holes.

“First and foremost, our heavy hearts remain with Sloan’s family,” Vincent said in his statement. “As a father myself, I can’t fathom what they are going through. I want to thank them for staying in contact with us as we develop a national public safety campaign in Sloan’s memory. We will share it with as many coastal communities as possible to help prevent another unimaginable tragedy. We’re also discussing how we monitor our beach, a local Ordinance to ban digging on our beach, and the best way to honor Sloan.”

According to Karen Daniels, a physicist at North Carolina State University who studies how sand moves, for safety she advises beachgoers not to go deeper than the knee of the smallest person when digging a sand hole....
That's good to know, a universal standard that I would feel comfortable citing for others who are digging.
Daniels recommends that if you're burying a friend in the sand, it's better not to dig but to cover the friend with sand at the ground level so the foundation is sturdier....
Also good to know, though a little burying might be cool if the aim is to prank the unsuspecting :twisted:
Education is all important - no matter what the republicans say

loose sand moves to fill any gaps you create with your exhale leaving no room to inhale

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:59 am
Education is all important - no matter what the republicans say

loose sand moves to fill any gaps you create with your exhale leaving no room to inhale
Signage visually comparing sand to a python might be effective.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

WTF?

Why have laws?
"It is unlawful in NC to capture and keep black bears," a press release said Friday, April 19. "However, the bear cubs were immediately released, and officers have determined there will be no charges filed."
Bullshit.

No charges after video shows people handling bear cubs, wildlife officers say
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:27 pm
WTF?

Why have laws?
"It is unlawful in NC to capture and keep black bears," a press release said Friday, April 19. "However, the bear cubs were immediately released, and officers have determined there will be no charges filed."
Bullshit.

No charges after video shows people handling bear cubs, wildlife officers say
I'm thinking residents rather than tourons, but -0-? Sorry, America :(
"the bears had a pretty traumatic experience", yet no charges/fines were imposed. I am stunned. There are no repercussions for stupid behavior these days.
Agreed.
1312. ETTD.