The Supremes

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: The Supremes

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:10 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:07 am
Obama picked Garland for SC because he thought the republicans would accept him. That should be reason enough to stay away.

With all the good choices for AG, Biden picks a maga-man for AG
and then - sticks with him.

Imagine where we’d be right now had Biden entrusted the outgoing most unlikely Senator from Alabama with the duties of enforcing our laws.
:thumbup: It would have been nice to see a more aggressive DoJ.

Republicans will no longer get to handpick their judges when they sue Biden
The federal judiciary’s new rules target “judge shopping.” That’s terrible news for Matthew Kacsmaryk and other partisan judges.

Good, let's hope the move has the intended effect. Amarillo federal Judge Matthew Kacsmaryk is a dangerous RW asshole who lacks the integrity to recuse himself from obvious judge shopped cases.

It's a start I guess....
anyone who believes that federal and state policies should not rise and fall based on one outlier judge’s partisan views.
Why is someone with partisan views a judge in the first place? :angry-cussing:
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 9:54 am
It's a start I guess....
anyone who believes that federal and state policies should not rise and fall based on one outlier judge’s partisan views.
Why is someone with partisan views a judge in the first place? :angry-cussing:
The options are:
Appointment by partisan pols;
Election on partisan tickets like NC (except the SC now);
Non-partisan elections where partisan endorsements are made and everyone knows which way the judges lean (like the NC SC now).

Maybe non-partisan judicial commissions with strict ethical codes would work -0-?

O Really, in school or professionally have you had any discussions about judicial selection options and the pluses and minuses of different systems?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 10:09 am

O Really, in school or professionally have you had any discussions about judicial selection options and the pluses and minuses of different systems?
Not much, but as might be expected I have an opinion. I think election is a bad system, but probably the best choice. If all judges were appointed, the corruption would be overwhelming. Some can be appointed, with reasonable levels of review/confirmation, but for most election is pretty much the only choice. But judge election should be non-partisan, even if people know that Judge Crank is lifelong Democrat. A judge is supposed to follow the law whether s/he agrees with it or not, and although interpretations may vary, decisions shouldn't be partisan. And a judge may be a member of a party, but s/he shouldn't be beholden to a party or its machinery. Yeah, I know, there will always be partisan hacks in office, and there will always be corruption in the system. But it shouldn't be stamped on the face of it like partisan elections are.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2024 11:16 am
Not much, but as might be expected I have an opinion. I think election is a bad system, but probably the best choice. If all judges were appointed, the corruption would be overwhelming. Some can be appointed, with reasonable levels of review/confirmation, but for most election is pretty much the only choice. But judge election should be non-partisan, even if people know that Judge Crank is lifelong Democrat. A judge is supposed to follow the law whether s/he agrees with it or not, and although interpretations may vary, decisions shouldn't be partisan. And a judge may be a member of a party, but s/he shouldn't be beholden to a party or its machinery. Yeah, I know, there will always be partisan hacks in office, and there will always be corruption in the system. But it shouldn't be stamped on the face of it like partisan elections are.
Makes sense, though I think we still desperately need real campaign finance reform if we're going to place trust in voters.

US Senate Republicans push back against anti 'judge shopping' policy

Mitch McConnell seen here describing a recent proctologist exam.

Of course they do. RepuQs detest America, justice, faith in our judiciary and fairness.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

And the RBG Award goes to … Elon Musk and Rupert Murdoch?

Since 2020, a foundation has honored prominent women with the Ruth Bader Ginsburg Leadership Award, named after the late Supreme Court justice who championed women’s rights and liberal causes. But this year’s lineup stands out: Four of the recipients are men. Two of them have done prison time for financial crimes. One founded Fox News. Another is Elon Musk.

Musk, :puke-left:
Martha Stewart, Ok, but it's not like she needs recognition.
Michael Milken, :puke-left:
Rupert Murdoch :puke-left:
and Sylvester Stallone Silly.
are the “five iconic individuals” who will receive the Ginsburg Leadership Award next month at the Library of Congress in an exclusive ceremony and gala, according to a news release from the award’s organizer, the Dwight D. Opperman Foundation....
All are filthy rich. This smells like a fundraising ploy by the foundation :roll: :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:36 am
Be a shame if something was wrong with him.

Justice Thomas misses Supreme Court session Monday with no explanation
My heart aches at the thought.

Another one who can't get too old fast enough:
Opinion
Samuel Alito’s Resentment Goes Full Tilt on a Black Day for the Court

Maybe maybe a 2nd term Biden will get a chance to clean house and move SCOTUS back from the GQP HQ.

Clarence Thomas 75
Samuel Alito 74
John Roberts 69

It would also be safest to install younger justices in these 2 seats:
Sonia Sotomayor 69
Elena Kagan 63
1312. ETTD.