Nature

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Nature

Unread post by Vrede too »

Authorities release names, provide more details after family's outdoor trip takes tragic turn

... The N.C. Wildlife Resources Commission (NCWRC) says on July 2, just after 1:30 p.m., an incident happened on the North Toe River, killing one person and injuring two others.

Officials say while navigating a section of the river approximately one mile down river from the Penland post office, a large tree fell striking a canoe and a kayak.

The canoe was being operated by Thomas Virant, 49, of Asheville, and Yumiko Virant, 49. The kayak was being operated by their 12-year-old son. Officials say no one witnessed the tree fall, and Thomas had to pull his family to the riverbank and call 9-1-1.

Once rescue arrived, Yumiko was pronounced dead on the scene and her husband was airlifted with severe injuries to Mission Hospital. Their son was also taken to Mission Hospital via ground transport suffering from severe injuries.

According to N.C. Wildlife, the tragedy was one the family probably couldn’t have avoided.

“They did have life jackets, so they were ready for any type of water issue that they may have had,” said Sr. Officer Willian Boone with N.C. Wildlife. “This was an incident that would be hard to prevent.” ...
:shock: Crap. :cry:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A Buoy in the Pacific Detected the Most Extreme Rogue Wave Ever Measured

... In November of 2020, scientists received an alert from a single buoy floating off the coast of British Columbia. According to the measurements, the buoy had suddenly lifted more than 17 meters (58 feet) above its previous position before crashing back down again. It took more than a year for scientists to figure out what had happened, and we know now that the buoy was picked up by a fleeting but impressive rogue wave.

Otherwise known as “extreme storm waves,” a rogue wave is defined as any wave which is at least twice the size of its next-door neighbors. They can be unpredictable and can even come from unexpected directions, moving at odds to prevailing winds and nearby waves. The few folks who have been unfortunate enough to see a rogue wave up close have described them as a wall of water with nearly sheer walls....
:shock:

They were all huge waves in the Southern Ocean and sometimes the North Sea, but I never experienced a true rogue wave.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:32 am

They were all huge waves in the Southern Ocean and sometimes the North Sea, but I never experienced a true rogue wave.
That's what took out the Poseidon. :lol:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:42 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:32 am

That's what took out the Poseidon. :lol:

https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-28-2015/Aj81mb.gif
:D That was a tsunami. Cool fx, but never mind that tsunamis don't create rogue waves at sea :roll:

Acres, a waiter, is the only crewmember who joins the group heading to the hull, and he's the first of them to die :o :problem: They sure killed off a bunch of A&B-list stars. How often does that happen?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:01 am

:D That was a tsunami. Cool fx, but never mind that tsunamis don't create rogue waves at sea :roll: :thumbup: :thumbup: Opps.

Acres, a waiter, is the only crewmember who joins the group heading to the hull, and he's the first of them to die :o :problem: They sure killed off a bunch of A&B-list stars. How often does that happen?
He should have been wearing a red shirt.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 10:06 am
Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:01 am
:D That was a tsunami. Cool fx, but never mind that tsunamis don't create rogue waves at sea :roll: :thumbup: :thumbup: Opps.

He should have been wearing a red shirt.

:D Twofer!

Nope, yellow jacket, Roddy McDowall as Acres:

Red(ish) shirt Carol Lynley as singer Nonnie Parry survived.
Pink shirt Stella Stevens as former prostitute Linda Rogo did not.
I think being a blonde negates the red shirt effect while a wicked past enhances it.
I can't explain the yellow jacket death other than all of the crew had to go, I guess. Either that or because he only had one name. Crap, I would have been double doomed.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:03 am

Nope, yellow jacket, Roddy McDowall as Acres:

Red(ish) shirt Carol Lynley as singer Nonnie Parry survived.
Pink shirt Stella Stevens as former prostitute Linda Rogo did not.
I think being a blonde negates the red shirt effect while a wicked past enhances it.
I can't explain the yellow jacket death other than all of the crew had to go, I guess. Either that or because he only had one name. Crap, I would have been double doomed.
LOL, I always remembered more of them dying, maybe wishful thinking.

Of the ten main characters, six survive and four die. Acres drowns when an explosion rocks the ship and he falls off a ladder into the rising water inside an access tunnel. Belle suffers a heart attack after swimming though a submerged corridor and releasing the reverend, who has been trapped underwater when a heavy panel falls on him. When another explosion rocks the ship as they're climbing up the catwalk to the propeller room, Linda falls off into the raging fire below. Likewise, Reverend Scott falls into a vat of burning oil-covered water.
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0069113/faq/

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:25 am
Likewise, Reverend Scott falls into a vat of burning oil-covered water.[/i]
I don't remember the film details, but that had to be intentionally symbolic. Sent the dude straight to Hell without passing "Go"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:33 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 11:25 am

Likewise, Reverend Scott falls into a vat of burning oil-covered water.

I don't remember the film details, but that had to be intentionally symbolic. Sent the dude straight to Hell without passing "Go"
Ding ding ding.

Wiki:
... Reverend Frank Scott, a minister who believes "God helps those who help themselves", is traveling to a new parish in Africa as punishment for unorthodox views....
IMDb:
... Reverend Frank Scott (Gene Hackman), a priest questioning his faith, delivers an unnerving sermon at Sunday service....

More explosions rupture a large pipe which releases clouds of scalding-hot steam that block the group's path to their escape. Scott, outraged about the three deaths and this final obstacle, screams at God that he has betrayed the survivors. He leaps and grabs onto the burning-hot valve wheel to shut off the escaping steam. Hanging from it, Scott slowly turns off the steam, all the while cursing God. The helpless Scott tells Rogo to lead the group on, then lets go of the wheel and is lost to the flaming, oily water below....
Kind of a Christ-like sacrifice as it turns out.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
This article doesn't mention as far south as SD, but you may not want to miss it if it's local:

'Bright as it was in 2020' Glowing bioluminescence waves return to Southern California beaches
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:01 pm
O Really wrote:
This article doesn't mention as far south as SD, but you may not want to miss it if it's local:

'Bright as it was in 2020' Glowing bioluminescence waves return to Southern California beaches
The 2020 season was spectacular and we saw it for several nights at Carlsbad beach. Looked just like the pic, but much better in motion. Last year, there was some closer to San Diego, but it didn't get to the north beach area. So far, the closest is Laguna, but we're keeping track of reports.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:16 pm
The 2020 season was spectacular and we saw it for several nights at Carlsbad beach. Looked just like the pic, but much better in motion. Last year, there was some closer to San Diego, but it didn't get to the north beach area. So far, the closest is Laguna, but we're keeping track of reports.
So?

‘A giant litter box’: Our favorite 1-star reviews for national parks

Not griping about actual litter. Rather:
Death Valley

Not a fan of finding nothing in the middle of nowhere. It’s like visiting a giant litter box.
:lol: I think there's beauty in "nothing" and it's definitely "in the middle of nowhere." I liked my visits, but haven't been anxious to return until the lakes formed. I appreciate this commenter's humorous opinion.

I can criticize Parks, but usually for damage to nature - overcrowding, too many cars allowed, over development, etc - or for loss of freedoms, often due to damage to nature - so many rules, rare asshole ranger, etc. However, most of these 1-star reviews are from clueless city folk. Examples:
Yosemite:

... We didn’t even see any bears on our visit - how lame is that.
:violin:
Yellowstone:

Everywhere you go, there’s this lingering smell of rotten eggs. You’d think for the $35 entrance fee the park people could install some airwicks Air Wicks or something.
:laughing-rolling: Vulcanism, duh.
Grand Canyon

It’s to[o] big. … Also my wife decided to divorce me while we were there.

- Landon W., Innisfail, Alberta, Canada, April 4, 2019, on Yelp
Opps. Maybe if it was smaller?
Grand Teton

Could be better. Mountains were blocking the sunset.
Baaaad mountains.
Big Bend

The lizards were not friendly.

- Natalia Peck, four years ago on Google Reviews

Too many rocks.

- Angel Bueno, four years ago on Google Reviews
:wtf: Diablo Malo
Hawaii Volcanoes

Went on the hike through the old volcano. It was like walking through an empty Walmart parking lot.

- Andy B., Duncanville, Tex., March 2020, on Yelp
I know right where the Texan means. It was a lava lake just a few years ago, way cool.

There are other good ones, but a lot are just whiny. Go home and quitcher bitchin'.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 11:25 pm

There are other good ones, but a lot are just whiny. Go home and quitcher bitchin'.
LOL
Years ago I was visiting Whitewater Falls in Transylvania County, truly spectacular. Tourons were bitching that the trails weren't paved.

O Really
Admiral

Funny about "Ken's" comment on Grand Canyon that it's "a big hole." On our first visit to Grand Canyon, Lady O and I decided to take the helicopter ride over the canyon. It used to go down into the canyon, but they stopped them from that. The ride was a bit underwhelming, and we've described it as "Up, pine trees, pine trees, pine trees, BIG HOLE, pine trees, pine trees, pine trees, down."

O Really
Admiral

Next week we're going out to Anza Borrego desert for the wildflower "super bloom." Even not going on a weekend, it'll probably be a big crowd at a place 50 miles out into the desert. But by all reports, it's exceptionally beautiful this year.

https://www.sfgate.com/la/article/calif ... 269911.php

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:29 pm
Next week we're going out to Anza Borrego desert for the wildflower "super bloom." Even not going on a weekend, it'll probably be a big crowd at a place 50 miles out into the desert. But by all reports, it's exceptionally beautiful this year.

https://www.sfgate.com/la/article/calif ... 269911.php
Watch out for rattlesnakes. I hear they like to "hide" among purple flowers.
1312. ETTD.