The homophobic thread :>

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The homophobic thread :>

Unread post by Vrede too »

Texas School Will Allow Trans Student In Musical After Major Backlash
Parents say they're still worried about the right-leaning school board and the influence of conservative politics and religion in local public schools.

... The unanimous decision from the Sherman Independent School District’s board of trustees, a reversal of a controversial decision that Sherman High School made earlier this month, is a rare win for LGBTQ+ youth in the town. But many residents say they are still concerned about the influence that conservative politics and religion have on public schools.

... Dozens of people, including parents, local college students and current and former Sherman High students, packed into the district office Monday to voice their disappointment. For over two hours, they shared their experiences of being queer and trans in Sherman, described the home they’d found in theater programs, and emphasized the need for better protections for LGBTQ+ students.
Didn't someone say something about theater being "the last refuge of nonconformists"?
... “We want to apologize to our students, parents and our community regarding the circumstances that they have had to go through to this date,” the board wrote in a statement. “We understand that our decision does not erase the impact this has had on our community, but we hope that we will reinforce to everyone, particularly our students, that we do embrace all of our Board goals, to include addressing the diverse needs of our students and empowering them for success in a diverse and complex world.”
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
The decision came as a surprise to many in an overwhelmingly red town, and in a state that has passed seven bills targeting LGBTQ+ youth and where the attorney general has investigated families of transgender youth.

Many people in Sherman say the commotion over transgender actors and casting in the school musical is a symptom of larger, longstanding battles about conservative Christian priorities and their rise in public education.

“This is not just about Max losing his role. This is not just about ‘Oklahoma,’” Espinoza told HuffPost. “This is about the intolerance of an older generation and the fact that they wish to not just deny, but actively prohibit kids from having safe spaces where they can be themselves, where they can have fun and where they can feel joy.” ...
:problem:

I Grew Up Gay In A Small Town. I Had 1 Safe Place — And Now It’s Under Attack.
“Maybe being gay — something I’d always, on some level, known about myself — wasn’t as wrong, bad and shameful as I’d taught at home.”
Spoiler:

The library.
Some Trans Kids Are Being Forced To Flee America For Their Safety
Many people in conservative states are having to make a difficult choice after facing harassment and anti-trans laws.

New Zealand, Uruguay, Costa Rica, etc :angry-banghead: :cry:

Help, I'm trapped in an ugly algorithm.

O Tennessee!
This State Tried To Pass Anti-Trans Laws For Years. Then A Right-Wing Media Star Got Involved.
The Daily Wire's Matt Walsh has set his sights on banning gender-affirming care for trans youth — and an attack on Vanderbilt's transgender health clinic shows he's succeeding.

LYING, child-abusing, Catholic, Nashville resident, hateful swine Matt Walsh:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Wals ... mmentator)
... “It may sound extreme to you when I say that we’re living in a totalitarian state,” Democratic state Sen. Heidi Campbell told HuffPost. “Before I became a state senator I don’t think those words would have come out of my mouth. But it’s really just the truth. There are no checks and balances in this government anymore. We’re seeing that with (AG) Skrmetti, who is hired by us to protect the people who live in this state, and is actively attacking our own citizens.”

... By the end of the session in April, Tennessee had also become the first state to pass a ban on drag performances, in addition to enacting laws that defined sex as a person’s “immutable biological sex,” and allowed teachers to misgender students.

Since 2015, Tennessee has enacted 19 anti-LGBTQ+ laws, more than any other state in the country.

... A self-described “theocratic fascist,” Walsh has also argued that trans people are “groomers” and part of a cult, and made posts mocking immigrants and Black people....

At the end of 2022, the Tennessee Republican Caucus sent out a survey, asking constituents for their opinions about a number of issues including abortion and parental rights in schools. In a section called “protecting children,” the survey asks conservatives if they favor policies preventing “minors from cutting off healthy body parts in order to change their gender identity.” There weren’t any questions about guns or firearm reform in the survey, even though the Tennessee Department of Health found that the leading cause of death for children in the state was homicide, 86% of which were due to gun violence....
I'm sorry, NC and America.
Transgender Boy's Family Sues North Carolina Officials Over Ban On Gender-Affirming Care For Minors
The ban went into effect after Republican legislators overrode a veto from Democratic Governor Roy Cooper in August.

The family of a transgender boy in North Carolina is suing state health officials to block implementation of gender-affirming care restrictions that they say will force their son to undergo a traumatic wrong-gender puberty.

A federal lawsuit filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court alleges the new state law violates the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment by denying treatment access to transgender youths and undercuts parents’ rights to make medical decisions for their children....

Gender-affirming care is considered safe and medically necessary by the American Academy of Pediatrics, the American Medical Association and the Endocrine Society. While trans minors very rarely receive surgical interventions, they are commonly prescribed drugs to delay puberty and sometimes begin taking hormones before reaching adulthood.

Supporting young patients through gender-affirming treatments is “the most incredible, challenging, beautiful, gut-wrenching and heartwarming part of my job,” Smith said. “When I say that gender-affirming care can be lifesaving, that is not hyperbole. And the politicians who voted for this law have no idea what it means to take that care away.”
One hate-filled fat cat's astroturf:
This Billionaire Hedge Funder Is Quietly Financing Anti-Trans Advocacy Across The U.S.
Joseph Edelman isn't known for donating to conservative causes, but HuffPost uncovered major donations to groups opposing trans rights.

... “We saw many people coming from out of state to say they felt this was important for Montana,” said Dr. Lauren Wilson, the president of the Montana chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics, which fought against SB 99. “This isn’t something that Montanans ever identified as an issue.”

Although the law is blocked, Saffer, the mother of two trans children, and her husband are still thinking of leaving the state. Her kids are being bullied in school. And in the event the law survives a legal challenge, the nearest out-of-state gender clinic is a five-hour drive.

“This is our home,” she said. “But if they’re going to push laws that harm our family and make it impossible to just live as a normal family, what are we doing here?”
Sigh. I used to be proud of Montana.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

What the fascist GQP and bigoted RW xtians here wish to emulate:
Russia's Supreme Court effectively outlaws LGBTQ+ activism in a landmark ruling

... The ruling is the latest step in a decade-long crackdown on LGBTQ+ rights in Russia under President Vladimir Putin, who has emphasized "traditional family values" during his 24 years in power....

The case was classified, and the ministry didn't disclose any evidence, saying only that authorities had identified "signs and manifestations of an extremist nature" in the movement it seeks to ban, including "incitement of social and religious discord."

Multiple rights activists have noted the lawsuit was lodged against a movement that is not an official entity, and that under its broad and vague definition, Russian authorities could crack down on any individuals or groups deemed to be part of it....

Amnesty International called the ruling "shameful and absurd," warning it could lead to a blanket ban on LGBTQ+ organizations, violate freedom of association, expression and peaceful assembly, and lead to discrimination.

"It will affect countless people, and its repercussions are poised to be nothing short of catastrophic," said Marie Struthers, the group's director for Eastern Europe and Central Asia.

A Russian Orthodox Church spokesman praised the ruling, telling the state-run RIA Novosti news agency that it was "a form of moral self-defense by society" from efforts to push "the Christian idea of marriage and family from the public and legal realms."

... After sending troops into Ukraine in 2022, the Kremlin ramped up a campaign against what it called the West's "degrading" influence, in what rights advocates saw as an attempt to legitimize the war. That same year, the authorities adopted a law banning propaganda of "nontraditional sexual relations" among adults, also, effectively outlawing any public endorsement of LGBTQ+ people.

Another law passed this year prohibited gender transitioning procedures and gender-affirming care for transgender people. The legislation prohibited any "medical interventions aimed at changing the sex of a person," as well as changing one's gender in official documents and public records. It also amended Russia's Family Code by listing gender change as a reason to annul a marriage and adding those "who had changed gender" to a list of people who can't become foster or adoptive parents....

Activists won't know what's now illegal until they get charged ...
:roll: :( :obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 10:57 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:37 pm
Until then I'm stiff on my legend.
What? :headscratch:
A snipped of the lyrics of David Bowie's song "Cracked Actor." From the 70's

https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/davidbo ... actor.html
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Jun 28, 2023 4:32 pm
:oops: Ahhh, you did ask. Sort of. Anyway, I'm a veritable wealth of obscure nuggets and glaciers going back decades. My ex liked this song even as I reminded her that it's rather disrespectful of women. The song is from the Aladdin Sane album.
Some surprises to me:
Which State Is the Queerest? These Are the States With the Most LGBTQ+ People

... Overall, 14.1 million people in the U.S. reported that they "identify as LGBT" between 2020 and 2021, making up a significant portion of the population at 5.6 percent. But not everyone is living in New York or California — in fact, neither cracked the top ten of states with the most LGBTQ+ people, relative to population.

Going by population alone, California is the state with the most LGBTQ+ people (1,549,600). That makes sense, seeing as California has the largest overall population of any state. However, California's LGBTQ+ people make up a relatively small portion of the state's total population (just 5.1 percent)....
1st surprise. Hollywood and SF are slacking.
When looking at population this way, several states surprised with how large their LGBTQ+ demographic is. Washington D.C. technically has the highest percentage of LGBTQ+ people, with 81,400 making up 14.3 percent of the capital's population, but until the U.S. government recognizes D.C. statehood, neither will this list.
14.3 percent must drive all of those RepuQ reps and staff nuts (not counting the closeted ones).
Here are the states with the most LGBTQ+ people, proportionally.

10. Ohio ...

9. Minnesota (Tie) ...

9. Tennessee (Tie) ...

The only southern state. See, you'll never really be alone when you go to read stories in libraries in drag.

Technically, these two 9s knock 10. Ohio off the list.
8. Rhode Island (Tie) ...

8. Maine (Tie) ...

8. Massachusetts (Tie) ...
Technically, these three 8s also knock Minnesota and Tennessee off the list.
7. Nevada ...
Not all of those showgirls are girls.
6. Colorado ...
Rockies, represent!
5. Washington ...

Go semi O Really Go
4. New Hampshire ...

3. Vermont ...
New England is fabulous!
2. Delaware ...
Aha, those rumors about Joltin' Joe are true.
1. Oregon ...
The north corners of the nation win! They often do.

I guessed Florida would make the list, Fascist DerSantis notwithstanding.
I had hopes for MD and NC, but without predicting them.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Odd headline:

Supreme Court Justices Clarence Thomas and Sam Alito suggested that laws banning conversion therapy may violate the First Amendment

True, but the significant takeaway is:

Supreme Court leaves intact Washington state conversion therapy ban

The child-abusing bigots could not muster the 4 justices needed to review the case.
:---P :happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

These Are the 5 States With the Smallest Percentage of LGBTQ+ People

... The good news: wherever you are, you're not alone. Overall, 14.1 million people reported that they "identify as LGBT" between 2020 and 2021, making up a significant portion of the population at 5.6 percent. By state, there wasn't a single area with an LGBTQ+ population of less than 4 percent....

5. South Carolina (Tie)

South Carolina's 192,800 LGBTQ+ adults account for 4.9 percent of the state's population. There are currently 20 anti-LGBTQ+ bills advancing to legislative committees across the state, according to the ACLU's legislation tracker.

5. North Dakota (Tie) ...

4. Iowa ...

3. Alabama

Alabama has 173,000 LGBTQ+ people, making up 4.6 percent of the population. Six anti-LGBTQ+ bills have been proposed in the state, two becoming law and the rest currently advancing.

2. North Carolina

North Carolina's LGBTQ+ population accounts for 4.4 percent of the state's population, with 353,100 people. There are 11 anti-LGBTQ+ bills proposed in the state, five of which have become law, and six advancing.
:wtf: :puke-left: I'm surprised at the low percentage and appalled by the legislation. We're #2! (actually #3) :ateeth:
1. Mississippi (Tie) ...

1. West Virginia (Tie) ...
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Republican State to Pay for Gender-Affirming Surgery

A settlement reached in Georgia this week will now require the Republican state to pay for gender-affirming medical care for residents covered by the state health insurance plan, which includes state employees....
:---P :-H Thank you, Gov Kemp!
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Boom!

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Nice!
That’s in addition to $100,000 in damages a jury said the former Rowan County clerk should pay the couple who sued.
I wonder how much she's raised from other bigots.

Article

U.S. District Judge David L. Bunning was appointed by Shrub.
:---P
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:42 pm
Boom!

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

One culture war that the RW SCOTUS is not eager to engage with:
Supreme Court declines to weigh in on battle over bathrooms for transgender students

The Supreme Court declined Tuesday to decide whether schools can bar transgender students from using a bathroom that reflects their gender identity, leaving in place a lower court ruling that allowed a transgender middle school boy in Indiana to use the boys' bathroom.

"This is a step in the right direction in our ongoing fight to protect LGBTQ+ youth from anti-equality extremism," the Human Rights Campaign said on X, the social media platform formerly known as Twitter....

The Supreme Court has denied similar cases before. In 2021, the high court chose not to review a ruling from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 4th Circuit involving a transgender boy named Gavin Grimm. The appeals court ruled that bathroom restrictions at a Virginia school amounted to discrimination.
Best of all worlds would be for SCOTUS to rule in favor of transgenders, but barring that letting stand Courts of Appeals rulings in favor of transgenders will suffice. The bigots must be really disappointed, awww.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The homophobic thread :> rainbow flags are painful

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna134475

“ TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A bill advanced by Florida Republicans on Wednesday would ban teachers and other government employees from displaying a rainbow flag — even wearing one as a lapel pin for a day — but they could hang the full-size flag of any “recognized nation” as long as they want, according to the bill’s sponsor.

Flag displays that depict a “racial, sexual orientation and gender, or political ideology viewpoint” would be banned from any state or local government building, including public schools and universities, under the bill authored by GOP Rep. David Borrero.”
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 2:15 pm

“ TALLAHASSEE, Fla. — A bill advanced by Florida Republicans on Wednesday would ban teachers and other government employees from displaying a rainbow flag — even wearing one as a lapel pin for a day — but they could hang the full-size flag of any “recognized nation” as long as they want, according to the bill’s sponsor.

Flag displays that depict a “racial, sexual orientation and gender, or political ideology viewpoint” would be banned from any state or local government building, including public schools and universities, under the bill authored by GOP Rep. David Borrero.”
Total believers in free speech lol

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

bannination wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2024 5:33 pm
Total believers in free speech lol
Fascist DerSantis and Moms Against Liberty have a point:
Nearly 30% of Gen Z adults identify as LGBTQ, national survey finds

... Twenty-eight percent of Gen Z adults — which the survey’s researchers specify as those ages 18 to 25 — identify as LGBTQ, according to a report released this week by the Public Religion Research Institute, or PRRI.
The groomers have won, fabulously 8-)
That compares with 10% of all adults, 16% of millennials, 7% of Generation X, 4% of baby boomers and 4% of the Silent Generation, the institute found.

“With respect to LGBTQ identity, it’s very clear that Gen Z adults look different than older Americans,” said Melissa Deckman, PRRI’s chief executive.

In its LGBTQ identity breakdown, the report found 72% of Gen Z adults identified as straight, 15% as bisexual, 5% as gay or lesbian and 8% as something else.
"4%"? Crap, we missed out on a lot of fun :(
Researchers also found that Gen Z adults were more ethnically and racially diverse than older generations and less likely to affiliate with established religions. Gen Z adults, along with millennials, were also more likely to identify as LGBTQ than Republican, the survey found.
No religion, not GQP? :o Horrors!
... The findings are in line with those of other major surveys, including Gallup’s, that show Gen Z is the queerest adult generation to date. In its most recent poll, released in February of last year, Gallup found 7.2% of adults in the U.S. identify as LGBTQ, including nearly 20% of those in Gen Z, which that survey defined as those ages 19 to 26.

PRRI’s findings, which were published Monday, come as LGBTQ rights face increasing challenges in the U.S.

Last year, more than 500 anti-LGBTQ bills were introduced in state legislatures around the country, a record, including 75 that were signed into law, according to the American Civil Liberties Union. The ACLU projects that more than 320 bills were prefiled for or introduced during this year’s state legislative sessions.
The kids will fix that soon enough.
“Whether it’s at the polls, in marches and rallies, or online, LGBTQ+ visibility matters and Gen Z is a force for change,” Kelley Robinson, the president of the Human Rights Campaign, the country’s largest LGBTQ advocacy group, said in a statement. “Thousands of LGBTQ+ young people turn 18 each day — and lawmakers should understand there will be repercussions in November for anti-LGBTQ+ political attacks.”
:---P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:

Maybe y'all can match the South Dakota outcome:
Kristi Noem’s Office Grovels After Losing Lawsuit to Trans Advocacy Group

South Dakota Gov. Kristi Noem personally killed a 2022 state contract with a transgender advocacy group the minute she heard about it.

“South Dakota does not support this organization’s efforts, and state government should not be participating in them,” she told the press of The Transformation Project.

But Noem left it to a minion to write an apology required by Thursday’s finalized settlement of a federal discrimination lawsuit the group brought in response to the governor’s words and actions.

“On behalf of the State of South Dakota, I apologize that the Transformation Project’s contract was terminated and for treating the Transformation Project differently than other organizations awarded Community Health Worker contracts,” South Dakota Health Secretary Melissa Magstadt wrote. “All South Dakotans are entitled to equal treatment under the law — regardless of their race, color, national origin, religion, disability, age, or sex.”
"Grovels" :lol:
... South Dakota was further required to pay the group $300,000, more than double what the state had originally agreed to pay towards Fonder’s work. The Transformation Project had originally requested a grant of only $45,907. The state advised the group to put in for $136,000.
$300,000 worth of grovelling :---P
But that was before a query from right-wing publication The Daily Caller made Noem aware of the program. The allocation immediately dropped to nothing at all.
The Daily Caller is a Tucker Carlson organ.
... But Noem’s words and actions were so nakedly unconstitutional that the Transmission Project was able to cite them as evidence of discrimination. The result was a lawsuit so strong that The Transformation Project was able to secure the written apology.
Opps.
... As Johnson (veteran attorney Brendan, who represented the Transformation Project) sees it, the settlement signals something beyond the money and even the unusual written apology.

“I think the biggest victory here is that the LGBTQ community in South Dakota feels like somebody stood up for them and they won,” he said. “And victories like that for the LGBTQ community in South Dakota are few and far between.”

Noem’s loss is their gain.
:clap:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

How did a state that elected George McGovern to three Senate terms get so far into the weeds?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:59 pm
How did a state that elected George McGovern to three Senate terms get so far into the weeds?
It's tragic. Less surprising is Utah:

Utah official appears to question teen girl's gender in Facebook post

The parents of a Utah teen are calling on a state board of education member to resign after she falsely inferred their daughter is transgender....
:obscene-birdiered:

Utah State Board of Education Natalie Cline Biography
:puke-left: christofascist, figures.
To: natalie.cline@schools.utah.gov
Subject: GIRL Van Der Beek

Re: Utah official appears to question teen girl's gender in Facebook post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDt1V8dhmEA

Resign, christofascist pig.

YOU are the danger to our children, not transgender nor imaginary transgender kids. You have shamed Utah, Bluffdale, the Board of Education, decent Christians, and we RNs everywhere.

Pretend to be a responsible and accountable human for once, RESIGN.

(Vrede too)
Hendersonville, NC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 2:59 pm
Speaking of red state surprises,

Supreme Court rejects appeal from parents who lost custody of trans teen

From the headline I guessed 180 degrees wrong what the article was going to be about and prepared myself to be made sad. In reality, the now adult trans teen was removed from her christofascist parents by DCS and they're still whining about it . . . in Indiana!
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:---P :clap:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:

Would this be okay?

:lol:
1312. ETTD.