The Music Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Music Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:08 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 2:05 pm
In the grocery, "Willie and the poor boys" plays on the speakers.
Lady O: How many times did you hear CCR before you knew they were white guys?
Me: Wait, CCR were white guys?!

(Not really, but I didn't know that for a long time after that song came out)
And how long before you knew that they were a bunch of California surfer dudes?
Is it cultural appropriation if people on their own get the false impression of Blackness? ;)

Interesting, I don't remember thinking they were anything other than White guys. Maybe this was bc I'm younger than y'all and was exposed to CCR well after they hit it big. Who knows, maybe 12 year old Vrede's first time was:

Creedence Clearwater Revival "Down On The Corner" on The Ed Sullivan Show

Ftr,
Willy and the Poor Boys is the fourth studio album by American rock band Creedence Clearwater Revival, released by Fantasy Records on October 29, 1969....

Overview

The album features the songs "Down on the Corner", from which the album got its name, and "Fortunate Son", which is a well-known protest song....
One of my favorites of theirs:

Creedence Clearwater Revival - Fortunate Son (Official Music Video)

Not sure whether I ever "knew that they were a bunch of California surfer dudes," but I probably wouldn't have cared. It's not like surf songs were their thing.

TIL today, or relearned:
"Dancing in the Street" is a song written by Marvin Gaye, William "Mickey" Stevenson and Ivy Jo Hunter. It first became popular in 1964 when recorded by Martha and the Vandellas whose version reached No. 2 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and peaked at No. 4 in the UK Singles Chart. It is one of Motown's signature songs and is the group's premier signature song....
GoMarvinGo!

Again, perhaps an age thing. I first got turned on to the song by:

Grateful Dead - "Dancing in the Streets" Terrapin Station (1977)

Not Martha and the Vandellas nor Karen Carpenter. Aside: I noticed that her name was on the bass drum, not the combo's name. Guess she already knew that she was the star.

Another aside: It's gotten really annoying that YT won't let us embed so many vids. I was 0 for 3 in this post :ateeth: If this continues I'll just link and not waste time trying to embed for y'all :(
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2024 8:33 am
Sister Rosetta

https://youtu.be/gELe5Rj_tXU?si=NAhAkBd5y7wVUrGq
:clap: Be still my rock and roll heart.

SXSW Responds To Texas Governor’s “Don’t Come Back” Comment After Musicians Drop Out Of Fest Protesting Military Ties

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and SXSW on Tuesday traded jabs on social media in response to a group of as many as 60 bands who have pulled out of Austin-based festival to protest its sponsor ties to the U.S. Army, as well as its inclusion of defense contractors taking part in some of the fest’s conference programs....
Good on the 60 boycotting bands. I would not attend if I were otherwise inclined to. Maybe Ted Nugent will be available.

Fuck the militarization of SXSW and fuck Fascist Abbott.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:18 am
When Paul was my neighbor

https://www.wkrn.com/special-reports/hi ... later/amp/
I did not know that, that's cool.
A few months after their stay, Paul McCartney and Wings would release Junior’s Farm. Locals believe it was inspired from his stay in Lebanon.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:

I like the family - You'll pay us how much? Cool, here are the keys, we're going to Hawai'i!

Did you talk at all? Did you inspire a song?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:14 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

I like the family - You'll pay us how much? Cool, here are the keys, we're going to Hawai'i!

Did you talk at all? Did you inspire a song?
Never even saw him, just knew where he was staying.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Music Thread - wow

https://youtu.be/f_KWnAoPckk?si=OtWK61gi_9lRzJr4

“The truly astonishing line-up of talent on the single, released today, March 15, includes, among others, David Gilmour, The Who's Pete Townshend, Rolling Stones guitarist Ronnie Wood, Queen's Brian May, Bruce Springsteen, Tony Iommi, Eric Clapton, Joan Jett, Joan Armatrading, Alex Lifeson, Hank Marvin, Duane Eddy, Slash, Tom Morello, and the last ever recording by the late, great Jeff Beck. 

In addition to this mind-boggling array of iconic guitarists, the track features Ringo Starr on drums, Sting on bass, and long-time Teenage Cancer Trust patron Roger Daltrey on harmonica.”

“The full list of contributors to the nine minute single is - deep breath - Joan Armatrading, Jeff Beck, Richard Bennett, Joe Bonamassa, Joe Brown, James Burton, Jonathan Cain, Paul Carrack, Eric Clapton, Ry Cooder, Jim Cox, Steve Cropper, Sheryl Crow, Danny Cummings, Roger Daltrey, Duane Eddy, Sam Fender, Guy Fletcher, Peter Frampton, Audley Freed, Vince Gill, David Gilmour, Buddy Guy, Keiji Haino, Tony Iommi, Joan Jett, John Jorgenson, Mark Knopfler, Sonny Landreth, Albert Lee, Greg Leisz, Alex Lifeson, Steve Lukather, Phil Manzanera, Dave Mason, Hank Marvin, Brian May, Robbie McIntosh, John McLaughlin, Tom Morello, Rick Nielsen, Orianthi, Brad Paisley, Nile Rodgers, Mike Rutherford, Joe Satriani, John Sebastian, Connor Selby, Slash, Bruce Springsteen, Ringo Starr and Zak Starkey, Sting, Andy Taylor, Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks, Ian Thomas, Pete Townshend, Keith Urban, Steve Vai, Waddy Wachtel, Joe Louis Walker, Joe Walsh, Ronnie Wood, Glenn Worf and Zucchero.”

https://www.loudersound.com/news/david- ... going-home

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Geezers rock!

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-d ... a-o-riley/

Robert Plant and Eddie Vedder joined Roger Daltrey onstage Sunday for a rendition of the Who’s “Baba O’Riley” at London’s Royal Albert Hall, providing a rousing finale to the annual Teenage Cancer Trust benefit.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:40 pm
Geezers rock!

Robert Plant and Eddie Vedder joined Roger Daltrey onstage Sunday for a rendition of the Who’s “Baba O’Riley” at London’s Royal Albert Hall, providing a rousing finale to the annual Teenage Cancer Trust benefit.
Damn, he's still got some pipes for a deaf 80 year old (and a good head of hair!).

Gonna try and catch him this summer.

https://www.thewho.com/roger-daltrey-an ... ival-2024/
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

I saw the "final" show in Toronto in '82, then in Tampa in '89 which, outdoors from the fourth or so row was arguably the best concert I've ever attended, and then finally in Orlando in '12 ish, which lost a little energy but was still good.

He'll be here May 6, but I think I'll just keep my memories alive and not fuzz them over with 2024 reality.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:14 am
I saw the "final" show in Toronto in '82, then in Tampa in '89 which, outdoors from the fourth or so row was arguably the best concert I've ever attended, and then finally in Orlando in '12 ish, which lost a little energy but was still good.

He'll be here May 6, but I think I'll just keep my memories alive and not fuzz them over with 2024 reality.
I still have occasional tinnitus in my left ear thanks to The Who.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:51 am
O Really wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:14 am

I still have occasional tinnitus in my left ear thanks to The Who.
Same year: Drove my Datsun-ful of friends from Montana to drop acid and see The Who (including Keith Moon in one of his final shows with the band) and the Grateful Dead in the pre-sewage leaks and feral cat Oakland Coliseum along with 100K others in October 1976. Magic.

I don't remember it being oppressively loud (Procol Harum holds that record for me), but I was young and very very high.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:56 pm
So in an effort to expand my musical appreciation, I've been making an effort to familiarize myself with current pop. Sirius has "Hits 1", "Pandora Now" and "Tik-Tok Hits" and since it shows the artist and name of the song, it's almost like listening to back in the day radio with a DJ except without the ads after every song. One thing I noticed quickly was that there is a certain sameness about the music. Almost all of it has a heavy bass (drum or bass, maybe electronic) fronting the music. Not a lot of guitar riffs. Voices are mostly light and melodic, but not much power. Like neither, but much closer to Melanie than Janis. Significant rap influence, but not really rap. I've listened enough to Taylor Swift to think I recognize her, but really, if I don't know the songs and you played Taylor, Dua Lipa and Ariana Grande back to back I'm not sure I'd pick who is who. Or Post Malone from Ed Sheeran for that matter.

So I'm trying not to be a "young people's music sucks" kind of guy, and certainly some of what I've listened to is quite good, but it's certainly not like back in the day when (it seemed to me) bands and singers were instantly recognizable and distinguished from others. And what is it with the damn up front bass, anyway?

Anybody else listen to this stuff? At all? Am I wrong?
I think this is part of what I was trying to say:
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive over the last 40 years, study finds

Experts analysed 12,000 rap, country, pop, R&B and rock songs since 1980
They say musicians have largely abandoned the lyrical poetry of all-time greats
By CHRIS POLLARD FOR THE DAILY MAIL

They really don't make music like they used to, say scientists - as song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive over the last 40 years.

Researchers analysed 12,000 rap, country, pop, R&B and rock songs released since 1980 and found musicians have largely abandoned the lyrical poetry of Bob Dylan, Freddie Mercury, the Beatles and other all-time greats.

Instead, today's stars aim for clear, catchy tunes that will grab people's attention on streaming services like Spotify.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... years.html

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:32 pm
O Really wrote:
Sun Feb 18, 2024 10:56 pm
So in an effort to expand my musical appreciation, I've been making an effort to familiarize myself with current pop. Sirius has "Hits 1", "Pandora Now" and "Tik-Tok Hits" and since it shows the artist and name of the song, it's almost like listening to back in the day radio with a DJ except without the ads after every song. One thing I noticed quickly was that there is a certain sameness about the music. Almost all of it has a heavy bass (drum or bass, maybe electronic) fronting the music. Not a lot of guitar riffs. Voices are mostly light and melodic, but not much power. Like neither, but much closer to Melanie than Janis. Significant rap influence, but not really rap. I've listened enough to Taylor Swift to think I recognize her, but really, if I don't know the songs and you played Taylor, Dua Lipa and Ariana Grande back to back I'm not sure I'd pick who is who. Or Post Malone from Ed Sheeran for that matter.

So I'm trying not to be a "young people's music sucks" kind of guy, and certainly some of what I've listened to is quite good, but it's certainly not like back in the day when (it seemed to me) bands and singers were instantly recognizable and distinguished from others. And what is it with the damn up front bass, anyway?

Anybody else listen to this stuff? At all? Am I wrong?
I think this is part of what I was trying to say:
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive over the last 40 years, study finds

They say musicians have largely abandoned the lyrical poetry of all-time greats
By CHRIS POLLARD FOR THE DAILY MAIL

They really don't make music like they used to, say scientists - as song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive over the last 40 years.

Researchers analysed 12,000 rap, country, pop, R&B and rock songs released since 1980 and found musicians have largely abandoned the lyrical poetry of Bob Dylan, Freddie Mercury, the Beatles and other all-time greats.

Instead, today's stars aim for clear, catchy tunes that will grab people's attention on streaming services like Spotify.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech ... years.html
I don’t agree. Your article says,
“Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive over the last 40 years, study finds
They say musicians have largely abandoned the lyrical poetry of all-time greats”

Could be they didn’t know where to look, what to compare.
The music my sisters listened to in the 60s and 70s was also simple and repetitive. All they wanted was something to dance to.
The crap passed off as “country” has nothing to do with the complex storytelling and music of Old Time, Appalachian, Bluegrass and the respective Irish roots of each.

Wouldn’t they have come to a different conclusion had they compared the 2023 music I listen to with the real crap from 1970.

My son has me watching and listening to this -
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4288182/

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:37 am

I don’t agree. Your article says,
“Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive over the last 40 years, study finds
They say musicians have largely abandoned the lyrical poetry of all-time greats”

Could be they didn’t know where to look, what to compare.
The music my sisters listened to in the 60s and 70s was also simple and repetitive. All they wanted was something to dance to.
The crap passed off as “country” has nothing to do with the complex storytelling and music of Old Time, Appalachian, Bluegrass and the respective Irish roots of each.

Wouldn’t they have come to a different conclusion had they compared the 2023 music I listen to with the real crap from 1970.

My son has me watching and listening to this -
https://m.imdb.com/title/tt4288182/
Well, the analysis might fall under the category "statistics don't lie but statisticians do." It seems like a lot to look at 12,000 songs, but sure the conclusions can be skewed. And certainly "do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do" doesn't seem like it's ever going to be called lyrical poetry. But it, like your sisters' music, doesn't count here. They only looked at 1980 on.

And before there was Spotify, there was radio and that was necessary if you were going to have a hit no matter how well written. Another skim of the article tells me maybe the author compared some of the best of the 80's with some of the mediocre of current, as he did identify Tay Tay as an exception to his own findings. A best to best, or worst to worst comparison might have had different conclusions.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:49 am
Well, the analysis might fall under the category "statistics don't lie but statisticians do." It seems like a lot to look at 12,000 songs, but sure the conclusions can be skewed. And certainly "do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do" doesn't seem like it's ever going to be called lyrical poetry. But it, like your sisters' music, doesn't count here. They only looked at 1980 on.

And before there was Spotify, there was radio and that was necessary if you were going to have a hit no matter how well written. Another skim of the article tells me maybe the author compared some of the best of the 80's with some of the mediocre of current, as he did identify Tay Tay as an exception to his own findings. A best to best, or worst to worst comparison might have had different conclusions.
I'm no Hip Hop fan, but I would have guessed that there is a lot of lyrical diversity within it -0-?

Helluva story, I hope those involved get rewards:
Got Back! Paul McCartney's Stolen Bass Is Returned After Half A Century
The Beatles star's distinctive violin-shaped 1961 electric Höfner is estimated to be worth $12.6 million.

Have you ever had a dream to meet someone so badly and somehow it comes true? You’re welcome, Paul.
Article

:lol:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'Hidden Meaning' In Paul McCartney’s Hit Holiday Song Is Freaking Folks Out
An amusing new theory about "Wonderful Christmastime" is going viral.

Canadian actor:

:o :D
wtf is happening in this verse, though?

The word is out
About the town
To lift a glass
Ah, don’t look down

DON'T LOOK DOWN AT WHAT?
I've always thought the transition of these lyrics was oddly abrupt
this does explain why the choir has allegedly practiced all year to learn a song consisting only of the words 'ding dong ding dong ding dong'
I always wondered why he sang the chorus so panicked
You’re right! The original even sounds better:
🎶 Simply having a wonderful Wicca time” 🎶
:o :lol: Some of the video imagery even fits with a witchy theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94Ye-3C1FC8
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:23 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:40 pm
Geezers rock!

Damn, he's still got some pipes for a deaf 80 year old (and a good head of hair!).

Gonna try and catch him this summer.

https://www.thewho.com/roger-daltrey-an ... ival-2024/
Speaking of old rockers with pipes intact, this is fun. 75 next month:
Billy Joel: The 100th -- Live at Madison Square Garden
New
9:00 PM ON CBS • TV-PG • Stereo • CC

Billy Joel's record-breaking 100th consecutive performance at Madison Square Garden; special appearances by Sting and Jerry Seinfeld.
2 hours including ads. 10 year monthly residency, 100 sellouts :-|| I would go if I were in NYC. I'm sure it's streaming. Sting at about 40:00 is a special treat, as is Innocent Man immediately following him and the Piano Man finale. :clap: x 100
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:46 pm

Sting at about 40:00 is a special treat, as is Innocent Man immediately following him and the Piano Man finale. :clap: x 100
There was a time where he said he'd won't play Piano Man because it wasn't sincere for him any more.

Guess he got over it.