Meanwhile in Florida.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Meanwhile in Florida.

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:30 pm
When stupid people draft laws, you're sure to get stupid laws.
And we have more than our share of stupid people drafting stupid laws.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Meanwhile in Florida. Liberals are out to get Florida

https://www.si.com/college/fsu/football ... estigation

“Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis (R-FL) is doubling down on his claim that the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is out to get football programs from the Sunshine State.”

“CFO Patronis accused NCAA President and former Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker (R) earlier this month of seeking retaliation against the State of Florida”

“Patronis believes the need to enact revenge is related to when Governor Ron DeSantis (R-FL) sent approximately 50 migrants to Martha’s Vineyard in Dukes County, Massachusetts while Baker was governor.”
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:47 pm

“Florida Chief Financial Officer Jimmy Patronis (R-FL) is doubling down on his claim that the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) is out to get football programs from the Sunshine State.”

“CFO Patronis accused NCAA President and former Massachusetts Governor Charlie Baker (R) earlier this month of seeking retaliation against the State of Florida”

“Patronis believes the need to enact revenge is related to when Governor Ron DeSantis (R-FL) sent approximately 50 migrants to Martha’s Vineyard in Dukes County, Massachusetts while Baker was governor.”
Nice theory, is there any of that pesky evidence?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I highly doubt that, but if he did, then good on him.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:19 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 7:47 pm

Nice theory, is there any of that pesky evidence?
I’m not too sure that “evidence” has played any part in Florida politics since republicans took over the state, be it jeb’s destruction of our public schools, Scott’s dictate that state employees and republican politicians never refer the global warming or any related term, or little ron’s book banning insanity removing dictionaries and encyclopedias from schools.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:09 pm
I’m not too sure that “evidence” has played any part in Florida politics since republicans took over the state, be it jeb’s destruction of our public schools, Scott’s dictate that state employees and republican politicians never refer the global warming or any related term, or little ron’s book banning insanity removing dictionaries and encyclopedias from schools.
There's also the GQP propensity to be permanent victims, Florida or elsewhere. Why not also be screwed by a northern liberal vengeful conspiracy?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Far be it from me to defend right wing stupidity, but booting the dictionaries and encyclopedias, etc. wasn't included nor intended in the law as passed. But it was so poorly written and certainly not properly researched and reviewed so that banning dictionaries - which certainly provide information and education on matters of sexuality - is a reasonable and likely a necessary interpretation until or unless sufficient guidance and regulation is developed. And of course nobody is going to do that since the law has no purpose except to enhance DeSantis among the droolers and moon barkers.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

The insanity continues

New bill would have Florida taxpayers foot millions toward trump’s legal fees

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/01/2 ... s-00136984

“ A Miami Republican who endorsed Trump’s reelection has filed a bill for this year’s legislative session that could allow the state to hand out up to $5 million to the embattled Republican frontrunner for president. The legislation has already won the endorsement from Jimmy Patronis, the state’s Republican chief financial officer, who for months has been publicly calling for taxpayers to pay to defend Trump from criminal charges.”

“ Patronis — who is in charge of Florida’s treasury accounts — asserted there are financial reasons for taxpayers to pay for Trump’s legal bills.

“If we can help and support a Florida candidate for the White House, that’s just good from a dollars and cents perspective,” Patronis said. “From all the decisions the federal government makes with regard to military installations, to roads, to disaster aid — it’s in Florida’s best interest to make sure their champion for the President is allowed a fair shot at the White House without being taken down by some fake witch-hunt.”‘

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:47 pm
And we have more than our share of stupid people drafting stupid laws.
Enforcement is kind of shaky, too. Keystone Kops, Florida division:

FHP trooper executes PIT maneuver on Opa-locka police captain, mistaking him for fleeing suspect

:laughing-rolling:

For as far as I scrolled the commenters are 100% on the side of the marked FHP trooper, not the unmarked Opa-locka captain.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Florida CFO Jimmy and governor platform shoes went super anti-woke with taxpayer dollars by yanking billions from investments that even hinted at the evils of woke. They declared Florida to be at war with wokiness (spell check wants desperately to correct to “wonkiness”) wherever it could
be found.

Meanwhile back in realityville

https://www.tampabay.com/news/florida-p ... utType=amp

“TALLAHASSEE — As Gov. Ron DeSantis led Florida’s charge against “woke” investing in recent years, the state’s chief financial officer has positioned himself as a loyal soldier.
CFO Jimmy Patronis has raged on X, formerly Twitter, about companies’ policies to consider environmental, social and corporate governance factors. Like DeSantis, most of that ire has been directed at the investment giant BlackRock, and Patronis ordered a state fund under his supervision to divest $2 billion managed by the company in 2022.

Divesting his personal accounts is another story.”

oops

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:30 pm
When stupid people draft laws, you're sure to get stupid laws.

https://insidethemagic.net/2024/03/disn ... mbers-jc1/

“Ron DeSantis Bans Disney Cast Members From Florida
by Jess” somebody

Jess went a bit overboard in her attack. I’m not sure why, my “lifted” governor’s slime is so easily pointed out without embellishment.

Republicans as usual don’t understand the problem - in their typical evilness:
“This bill will not eliminate homelessness. But it is a start,” Republican state Representative Sam Garrison said. “And it states clearly that in Florida, our public spaces are worth fighting for.”

“This bill does not and it will not address the more pressing and root cause of homelessness,” said Democratic state Senator Shevrin Jones. “We are literally reshuffling the visibility of unhoused individuals with no exit strategy for people who are experiencing homelessness.”

Shelton gets it - but he’s a Dem and good ol boy republican Sam’s bill has a provision against Shevrin and his “kind”, as the “law also allows residents, business owners, and the state attorney general to file lawsuits against communities that would enable unhoused residents to sleep or camp on public property.”

We’ll have none of this do gooder unto others commie crap in our state.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Meanwhile in Florida there’s proof that there’s always a step further

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 1:33 pm
https://www.cbsnews.com/miami/news/flor ... trictions/

“ In a priority of Speaker Paul Renner, the Florida House on Tuesday will take up a bill that would prevent minors under age 16 from creating social media accounts.

“The bill, in part, also would require social media platforms to terminate existing accounts that are "reasonably known" by the platforms to be held by minors younger than 16 and would allow parents to request that minors' accounts be terminated.”

There’s a Click here link in the article to read the bill in its entirety.

“The House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday voted 17-5 to approve the bill (HB 1). The bill is now positioned to go to the full House, where it is almost certain to pass.”
Signed sealed and delivered

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/rcna144950

“The bill, HB3, also directs social media companies to delete the existing accounts of those who are under 14. Companies that fail to do so could be sued on behalf of the child who creates an account on the platform. The minor could be awarded up to $10,000 in damages, according to the bill. Companies found to be in violation of the law would also be liable for up to $50,000 per violation, as well as attorney’s fees and court costs.

Love this

DeSantis argued the bill is constitutionally sound.

“Any time I see a bill, if I don’t think it’s constitutional, I veto it,” he said. He described the bill as "a fair application of the law and ConstitutIon.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:56 pm

“The bill, HB3, also directs social media companies to delete the existing accounts of those who are under 14. Companies that fail to do so could be sued on behalf of the child who creates an account on the platform. The minor could be awarded up to $10,000 in damages, according to the bill. Companies found to be in violation of the law would also be liable for up to $50,000 per violation, as well as attorney’s fees and court costs.

Love this

“Any time I see a bill, if I don’t think it’s constitutional, I veto it,” he said. He described the bill as "a fair application of the law and Constitutilon.”
I can't know about constitutionality, but I think it's adorable that the FL Leg and Fascist DerSantis think they're e-smarter than kids under 14.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:09 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:56 pm

Love this

“Any time I see a bill, if I don’t think it’s constitutional, I veto it,” he said. He described the bill as "a fair application of the law and Constitutilon.”
I can't know about constitutionality, but I think it's adorable that the FL Leg and Fascist DerSantis think they're e-smarter than kids under 14.
How is it prevented and enforced?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:09 pm
The misogynist Texan model - private citizens authorized and encouraged to bring lawsuits.
:obscene-birdiered:
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
The misogynist Texan model - private citizens authorized and encouraged to bring lawsuits.
I should have known. :roll:

O Really
Admiral

So we'll trust parents to decide if they want their measley kids to go infect the rest of the school but not to decide if the kid can post pics to the 'Gram while they're recovering.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:17 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
The math before HB3
4 kids and a rundown mobile home =
$0.0 property tax
$28,000 hom scul subsidy taken from the pe

Leaves these poor magats below the poverty level, but now we have HB3 creating money, money, money.

? If the kid gets $10,000, who gets the $50,000?

The bill “directs social media companies to delete the existing accounts of those who are under 14. Companies that fail to do so could be sued on behalf of the child who creates an account on the platform. The minor could be awarded up to $10,000 in damages, according to the bill. Companies found to be in violation of the law would also be liable for up to $50,000 per violation, as well as attorney’s fees and court costs.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Graffiti Bridge scrapped clean and subject to a laundry list of rules and regulations -

Say it ain’t so - this bridge has long been Pensacola’s leading source for breaking news.

“Visit Pensacola posted about new painting restrictions on the Graffiti Bridge, saying "freely painting on the Graffiti Bridge will no longer be allowed, and a strict protocol must be followed."

It then listed these rules:
* All art must be approved by the new Graffiti Bridge Board of Directors. Artists must present their proposed art in front of the board and do an interpretive dance that best reflects the message of the art. Music is required for the dance. The board wants drama.
* Once approved by the board, the artist must paint on the bridge on a designated date between the times of 9:47 and 9:52 a.m. That’s 5 minutes. 5 minutes to really show ‘em how it’s done.
* Spray paint is now prohibited. Artists must complete their art by only finger painting. Additionally, the only colors allowed are red, yellow, and blue. Mix them if you must. (Red and yellow make orange, yellow and blue make green, and so on think back to your kindergarten days.)
* Any attempts to graffiti the bridge without prior approval will result in an impromptu finger painting class with the new security guards.
The post ended with: "We know this may come as a surprise, but if you've read this far, happy April Fool's Day. Paint on, Pensacola!"
The post garnered plenty of reaction -- over 1,000 shares and engagements on Facebook before 9:30 a.m., as well as over 1,000 likes on Instagram.

We’d like to formally announce the new painting restrictions on the Graffiti Bridge. From here on out, freely painting on the Graffiti Bridge will no longer be allowed, and a strict protocol must be followed. Here are the rules for locals and visitors wanting to paint the bridge ⬇️
👉 All art must be approved by the new Graffiti Bridge Board of Directors. Artists must present their proposed art in front of the board and do an interpretive dance that best reflects the message of the art. Music is required for the dance. The board wants drama.
👉 Once approved by the board, the artist must paint on the bridge on a designated date between the times of 9:47 and 9:52 a.m. That’s 5 minutes. 5 minutes to really show ‘em how it’s done.
👉 Spray paint is now prohibited. Artists must complete their art by only finger painting. Additionally, the only colors allowed are red, yellow, and blue. Mix them if you must. (Red and yellow make orange, yellow and blue make green, and so on… think back to your kindergarten days.)
👉 Any attempts to graffiti the bridge without prior approval will result in an impromptu finger painting class with the new security guards.
We know this may come as a surprise, but if you've read this far, happy April Fool's Day. Paint on, Pensacola!”

https://x.com/onlyinpensacola/status/13 ... 69761?s=20

4/1

O Really
Admiral

I fell for it down to the second rule.