Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by O Really »

I know, and have myself mentioned, that as societal and cultural standards change, some TV shows and films would not be made today. But this list strikes me as more than a bit ridiculous, at least as much for the sophomoric ummm, "analysis" as the shows themselves: https://wealthofgeeks.com/tv-shows-not- ... television

'Frinstance, regarding "Friends", :Today, we would not have a show centered around six white people living in large N.Y. apartments. The lack of diversity is one of the most common critiques of the show." Seriously?

Or "Cavemen" - it wouldn't be made today because it was an awful show based on an insurance ad. The premise of "couldn't be made" should be based on a show considered good for it's time, not just a show that bombed.

Or "Home Improvement" - sure it was sexist and portrayed a stereotyped guy who grunted, but the writer actually says "If someone wants to watch a show about home improvement, may we suggest HGTV or a DIY channel?" Did s/he ever even see an episode or read about it?

and yada

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:23 pm
I know, and have myself mentioned, that as societal and cultural standards change, some TV shows and films would not be made today. But this list strikes me as more than a bit ridiculous, at least as much for the sophomoric ummm, "analysis" as the shows themselves: https://wealthofgeeks.com/tv-shows-not- ... television

'Frinstance, regarding "Friends", :Today, we would not have a show centered around six white people living in large N.Y. apartments. The lack of diversity is one of the most common critiques of the show." Seriously?

Or "Cavemen" - it wouldn't be made today because it was an awful show based on an insurance ad. The premise of "couldn't be made" should be based on a show considered good for it's time, not just a show that bombed.

Or "Home Improvement" - sure it was sexist and portrayed a stereotyped guy who grunted, but the writer actually says "If someone wants to watch a show about home improvement, may we suggest HGTV or a DIY channel?" Did s/he ever even see an episode or read about it?

and yada
Some clueless people believe that the past should be judged by standards.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 pm

"Current" standards, I'm assuming?
Yeah, and it's way past annoying. Among the more non-racial ridiculous is pearls grasped because in TV shows and films they showed people (gasp) smoking! Guess what, in the 60's-70's or so, about half the adult population smoked along with a big proportion of teens. Not to defend the practice, but that was life. Now there is literally a warning for smoking in a film along with violence, nudity, etc.

I don't think our society has improved or evolved just because of some diversity efforts if the effect is to change historical or current reality. There were, and are, a lot of Archie Bunkers out there and "All in the Family" did not glamorize Archie's attitudes, but did show him making changes over time. If we can't have an Archie Bunker character now, we're simply pretending they aren't there.

And why can't they make shows that are offensive and in bad taste? If nobody watches, they'll tank. If they do watch, maybe we'll have learned something about ourselves some didn't want to know. And I suppose therein lies my biggest complaint. "Blazing Saddles" was never a serious film - it was comedy slapstick and everybody knew it was intentionally offensive. If it was cleaned up according to the article, it would have sucked bigly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:30 pm
Yeah, and it's way past annoying. Among the more non-racial ridiculous is pearls grasped because in TV shows and films they showed people (gasp) smoking! Guess what, in the 60's-70's or so, about half the adult population smoked along with a big proportion of teens. Not to defend the practice, but that was life. Now there is literally a warning for smoking in a film along with violence, nudity, etc....
Former smokers get triggered. I'm okay with the warning giving them the chance to opt out, along with informing parents who don't want smoking presented as cool to their vulnerable kids. There are irl public health consequences for both of these groups. So, it's not just pretentious moralizing and revisionism, though there's some of that going on, too.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

"Triggered"

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:30 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:32 pm

Yeah, and it's way past annoying. Among the more non-racial ridiculous is pearls grasped because in TV shows and films they showed people (gasp) smoking! Guess what, in the 60's-70's or so, about half the adult population smoked along with a big proportion of teens. Not to defend the practice, but that was life. Now there is literally a warning for smoking in a film along with violence, nudity, etc.

I don't think our society has improved or evolved just because of some diversity efforts if the effect is to change historical or current reality. There were, and are, a lot of Archie Bunkers out there and "All in the Family" did not glamorize Archie's attitudes, but did show him making changes over time. If we can't have an Archie Bunker character now, we're simply pretending they aren't there.

And why can't they make shows that are offensive and in bad taste? If nobody watches, they'll tank. If they do watch, maybe we'll have learned something about ourselves some didn't want to know. And I suppose therein lies my biggest complaint. "Blazing Saddles" was never a serious film - it was comedy slapstick and everybody knew it was intentionally offensive. If it was cleaned up according to the article, it would have sucked bigly.
Yes “current”
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

How is it that for the first several episodes, Venus was decoration and now she's a "major threat"?

And they need to get rid of Q now or he'll be in the finals.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Always get rid of Q , always.
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:44 pm
Former smokers get triggered. I'm okay with the warning giving them the chance to opt out, along with informing parents who don't want smoking presented as cool to their vulnerable kids. There are irl public health consequences for both of these groups. So, it's not just pretentious moralizing and revisionism, though there's some of that going on, too.
O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:23 pm
"Triggered"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFVbl7niUMs
She had a cigarette?
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:26 pm
How is it that for the first several episodes, Venus was decoration and now she's a "major threat"?

And they need to get rid of Q now or he'll be in the finals.
She was mostly portrayed as annoying and without allies. She needed the merge and probably had the right idea taking out Charlie (who's pissed off no one) but she acquiesced in the end, doesn't seem like it hurt her. Jury is out.

Not feeling the Q love, his ego is writing checks his game can't cash. If he makes it to the end it won't be as the winner.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Damn, Venus is feisty!

https://twitter.com/plnxtvenus
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Venus and Hunter need a showmance.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:53 pm
Venus and Hunter need a showmance.
I thought Soda's days were numbered but she was better liked than portrayed by the edit.

Starting to get on board the Maria and Tiffany train for a winner.

It's not going to be
Venus
Q
Ben

Doubtful on
Charlie
Kenzie
Liz
Tevin
and probably Hunter.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Also

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Also, Michael Che owned! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:36 am
Also, Michael Che owned! :clap: :clap: :clap:

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/ ... 5414267029
:laughing-rolling: Brilliant. CC has comedic timing - call them logo jokes.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:49 pm
We were yelling at the screen.....
Could be a real interesting night.