The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
GoCubsGo
Admiral

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:41 pm
Idk if they grow in the San Diego area but it's morel season around the US so be in the lookout. It's wrapping up here though. I have managed to find zero morels anywhere except under my deck. But I did manage to snag a tick bite.
Join the club, my dog has had two, me just one.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:28 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Idk if they grow in the San Diego area but it's morel season around the US so be in the lookout. It's wrapping up here though. I have managed to find zero morels anywhere except under my deck. But I did manage to snag a tick bite.
Are they bad up your way? I usually never get them down here. The northeast on the other hand....
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:23 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
Are they bad up your way? I usually never get them down here. The northeast on the other hand....
They can be, this is supposed to be an especially bad year because of the mild winter. They're usually more prolific in high grass prairie areas which I have in abundance up here as opposed to deep woods.

That, on top our imminent cicada invasion is making for a wonderful start to "the fun season."
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:00 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:23 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
They can be, this is supposed to be an especially bad year because of the mild winter. They're usually more prolific in high grass prairie areas which I have in abundance up here as opposed to deep woods.

That, on top our imminent cicada invasion is making for a wonderful start to "the fun season."
Yeah true, dry grassy areas around pines seem to be the absolute worst. I've gotten wrecked on multiple occasions by plagues of ticks and chiggers.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Saturday's hike. Just off the Paola Indian reservation about 45 minutes from home.
The stream you see at the first of vid was significantly bigger after the rain we've had. We hopped across the rocks with no problem going out, but Lady O strained a quad on the steps (about two-thirds through the vid) and didn't want to risk taking a dip. Fortunately, the ranger wasn't around and we have a Jeep so I went to pick her up. Didn't notice that there wasn't enough room on the road/trail to turn around so we headed up the (authorized vehicles only) road to a turn around spot - where we found, ta daaaah - the ranger. We told him our story, Lady O told him she could barely walk (only a slight exaggeration) and he was decent about it. Just told us to go on back out. She's fine today.