Microsoft's Windows 8 Has Failed, Now What?

bannination
Captain

Microsoft's Windows 8 Has Failed, Now What?

Unread post by bannination »

http://beta.fool.com/joekurtz/2013/04/0 ... hat/29367/

“I found a wonderful fix for Windows 8,” Robert McAdams commented on one of my previous blogs. “I deleted it and downloaded Windows 7.”
Yes, yes indeed.

Even for those that claim that it's some how "faster" I have to wonder about. It's my personal opinion that they're just experiencing fresh install syndrome.

JTA
Commander

Re: Microsoft's Windows 8 Has Failed, Now What?

Unread post by JTA »

I never upgraded. Looks like it's going the way of Vista.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:I never upgraded. Looks like it's going the way of Vista.
I hope so. Don't get me wrong, I think it would do well as a tablet OS, but for the desktop it just plain sucks.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:
I hope so. Don't get me wrong, I think it would do well as a tablet OS, but for the desktop it just plain sucks.
I heard the new task manager is the shit, so I guess that's something to be happy about with Windows 8.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

In light of recent technology trends, the next logical step for Microsoft to take with Windows 9 is to make it completely cloud-based and therefore "always online".

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:In light of recent technology trends, the next logical step for Microsoft to take with Windows 9 is to make it completely cloud-based and therefore "always online".
Windows 8 is nearly there. You have to be logged into a "Microsoft Account" to do anything with the Metro apps, (download/update, etc).

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:
bannination wrote:
I heard the new task manager is the shit, so I guess that's something to be happy about with Windows 8.
It really is neat, but there are plenty of alternatives for windows 7 that work just as well. Being able to control your startup programs with the task manager is pretty neat though.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:
North Korean Missile Test Delayed by Windows 8

PYONGYANG (The Borowitz Report)—North Korea’s official news agency announced today that the military’s planned missile test had been put on hold because of “problems with Windows 8.”

Intelligence analysts said that the announcement gave rare insight into the inner workings of North Korea’s missile program, which until last year had been running on Windows 95.

The announcement from the Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) did not indicate a new scheduled time for a missile test, saying only that it was “working with Windows 8 support to resolve the issue.”

In the words of one intelligence analyst, “That means the test has been delayed indefinitely.”

A source close to the North Korean regime reported that Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un is furious about the Windows 8 problems and is considering a number of options, including declaring war on Microsoft.
:lol:
North Korea even has its own Linux Distro. Red Star OS:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Star_OS

Watch out, Ubuntu.

bannination
Captain

I forgot about the best feature of Windows 8, no more "blue screens".

:roll:

Corky1953

Unread post by Corky1953 »

Sorry, I don't agree. Yes the design is principally for touch screen portables but I have a typical Windows 7 desktop using a Start button purchased from Stardock for $4.99http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/ What I've found is Windows 8 is faster than Windows 7 and is less troublesome in terms of security which is all built into the OS. There is also a major update due out sometime in June which will be called Windows 8.1 and will be free to current owners. http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/121043- ... -get-ready

I recently dumped Windows 8 and re-installed Windows 7 just to compare and decided to return to the new OS

bannination
Captain

Yes, windows 8 does have some nice improvements under the hood. That said, when you have to buy separate programs to provide the basic functionality you need.... there's a problem. You just turned Windows 8 back into Windows 7 for the most part. Metro is not user friendly. Seriously, just ask someone to find the "shutdown" command. BTW, if anyone needs a free, open source start menu replacement for Windows 8, - http://www.classicshell.net/

I don't like the direction Microsoft is going, which is a walled garden of apps directly linked to your name, address and credit card #. It's a major violation of privacy in my book. I think eventually the idea is to lock out any unauthorized app that's not from their store. If I wanted an ipad... I'd buy one.

The metro start menu is actually customizable enough to be useful on a PC, if a bit jarring when you're jerked from the desktop back to Metro, it's just the apps that are worthless (on a PC). If Microsoft had included the normal start menu as an option, (even as a registry switch) I think it could have avoided a lot of criticisms.

As for security, I haven't found it any more or less secure than Windows 7. I do know I haven't had to fix as many Windows 8 problems because... well... no one uses it and those that do usually request a "downgrade" request to Windows 7. :D

Corky1953

Unread post by Corky1953 »

Maybe so but my brother used to be the tech person for Transylvania Hospital so is not so gullible. He echos my findings not to mention the fact that I had both on my PC just recently, back to back comparison so to speak. The numbers http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-vs-w ... e-testing/

bannination
Captain

Corky1953 wrote:Maybe so but my brother used to be the tech person for Transylvania Hospital so is not so gullible. He echos my findings not to mention the fact that I had both on my PC just recently, back to back comparison so to speak. The numbers http://usabilitygeek.com/windows-8-vs-w ... e-testing/
So the big gains are in startup and shutdown. Two things I personally could care less about. $100+ for saving 8 seconds? No thanks.

Good thing Windows 8 is secure, I hate downloading patches every time I turn around..... oh wait. Looks like the same vulnerabilities in Windows 7 if affecting Windows 8 plus Windows 8's own unique vulnerabilities. Great! At least we have secure boot! Oh wait, they're trying to leverage that to make it difficult to run other operating systems... hm....

Look, I'm not a hater, I just can't recommend anyone spend money to upgrade to it. If they have an option to stay with Windows 7 they should take it for now.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Now what? Now they notice the lack of sales, listen to their customers, and correct their mistakes.

Done. Windows 8.1 releases in a couple months, and apparently they've dialed back the features that make sense on touch screens, but NOT on desktops. Especially since six months after the release of Windows 8, touch-screens are barely an option when purchasing laptops, and not available for desktops except as a very expensive special order.

The main problem for Vista and Windows 7 is that Windows XP SP3 was a reliable workhorse. Most of the machines in our offices are still running XP. At some point you needed to add $40 worth of RAM as the OS grew - and suddenly it was like you had a newer, much faster machine - but there was no need to upgrade to Vista or 7. Likewise there little need to upgrade from Windows 7 to 8.

With support for XP ending, many companies will upgrade their XP machines to Windows 7 instead of 8. That's not such a bad thing for Microsoft; they get the same money.

Server 2012 got the same Metro treatment. As I'm typing this I'm also provisioning a new server in another window, with two Server 2012 virtual machines and a 2008r2 VM, to replace our old Server 2000 and 2003 machines. Having supported Server 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2008r2 machines over the last 12 years, I REALLY like the redesigned server management stuff in server 2012.

The "flat" desktop user interface on Windows 8 and Server 2008 is SUPER-FAST on a remote desktop connection, even on a slow internet connection. And just about everything I do these days is over a remote desktop connection.

bannination
Captain

Server 2012 is without a doubt solid as a rock.

I can't wait to see what they do with their service pack on Windows 8.

bannination
Captain

That's great and all, and I'm gonna let you finish but.....

WHERE THE HELL IS OUR START MENU?

:mrgreen:

First look at Windows 8.1

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:That's great and all, and I'm gonna let you finish but.....

WHERE THE HELL IS OUR START MENU?

:mrgreen:

First look at Windows 8.1

You need to just get with the times. The whole point and click thing was so 2000's. It's all about the touch screen now. I wish my company would get with the times so I can just massage the bugs out of code rather than having to fix them cave man style with this damned keyboard and mouse that just get in the way.

bannination
Captain

No start menu for you! I think Microsoft just trolled its user base.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:

I finally got to experience Windows 8. It was highly disappointing and felt like a hassle to use. The task manager was really cool though.

I think I'll go ahead and pass on upgrading.

bannination
Captain

JTA wrote:
bannination wrote:

I finally got to experience Windows 8. It was highly disappointing and felt like a hassle to use. The task manager was really cool though.

I think I'll go ahead and pass on upgrading.

In it's defense you get used to the new "start menu" and it's fairly customizable, however what I find jarring is when it has it's default apps set to open in the other interface and users have no idea how to get back out of it. Open a jpg? Just a sec, we'll totally switch interfaces to display that for you.

It does boot faster, but it cheats, it's instead of a full shutdown it's basically just doing a hibernate. If I do that with Windows 7 I get fairly equivalent boot speeds.

The task manager is awesome, and I think it's shaming some software developers into improving their startup times for their apps.

I bet it works awesomely on tablets, just not on my PC's.