Wingnutties out of control!

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: Wingnutties out of control!

Unread post by Mr.B »

It appears they got the Shiite blown out of them.......

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I bet'cha that George Bush, Dick Cheney, and their followers still think this "makes America safer." Dumbasses.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Ah, I noticed today that Boner and his wingnut assigns will put up no exceptions or conditions to the raising of the nation's debt ceiling this time. Perhaps a little control is starting to manifest, but I kind of doubt this thread title will need to be changed to "Wingnutties under control."

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Oh man, I haven't been over there in weeks, but first thread I read:

http://conservativepoliticalforum.com/p ... #msg175392

Soupy being soupy. What a liar.

bannination
Captain

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

What's good for the goose......and all that other stuff.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Don't forget he loves to kill things.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Nugent is an aberration; sort of like Manson was. Charlie didn't kill anybody himself but was able to convince others to do so. I feel this is an important insight into the type of mindset a candidate that courts Nugent has. But I could be wrong.

bannination
Captain

The Top Five Times A Fox Guest Debunked Fox

These clips are pretty good, I love Bill Nye's expression...... wait for it....... I want to know exactly what words were going through his mind. :-H

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

Looks like the expression Nye often had on his face while debating
Ham at the Creation Museum--What the fuck are you talking about?

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Heh; pretty good. But it sort of fits in with the stories and video clips I've been seeing from CPAC last weekend. Wingnuts invoking Reagan while openly advocating for a new Cold War, or even a hot one. It boggles the brainpan; just like elephant shit.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede wrote:Weird Wonkette headline. Whatever one thinks of Jim Avila's perspective, neither your link nor the linked TPM article quotes him as saying anything about the Constitution.
True enough. Still, that some "librul lamestream media" correspondent would broach the subject, 40+ years after Nixon appeared on Laugh-In and California governor Ronnie Rayguns appeared on Sonny & Cher . . . it seems a bit idiotic; the sort of denialist hypocrisy you'd normally see on FUX. Either way, I just copied Wonkette's headline.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Context is everything; everything in context.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

neoplacebo wrote:Wingnuts invoking Reagan while openly advocating for a new Cold War, or even a hot one.
I fear that Obama will be remembered in much the same way, regarding drone strikes, the NSA, whistleblowers, non-prosecution of Wall Street fraud and torturers etc.

bannination
Captain

rstrong wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:Wingnuts invoking Reagan while openly advocating for a new Cold War, or even a hot one.
I fear that Obama will be remembered in much the same way, regarding drone strikes, the NSA, whistleblowers, non-prosecution of Wall Street fraud and torturers etc.
Don't fear it, those are things he should be remembered for.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede wrote:Along with ignoring single-payer, caving in on the public option,
I'm not that he had any choice on the public option. He campaigned on it in 2008, and tried to pass it in 2009.

Alas, all he had was a majority of Congress backing it. He needed a supermajority, which he didn't quite have. By the end of 2009 a supermajority was out of reach.

And so he adopted 15 years of Republican health care policy as the ACA. I suspect that too would have been blocked had it not been the Republican's own policy, with Republicans making a deal for it to (narrowly) pass. Their theatrics notwithstanding.

Sort of how more recently when Republicans made a deal with Democrats on the budget. No Republican would vote for it, but they wouldn't filibuster it either. When Cruz filibustered, it forced the Republicans to have several of their own vote for it to make it filibuster-proof.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I don't think any delay made a difference.

President Obama was sworn in on January 20, 2009 with just 58 Senators to support his agenda.

He should have had 59, but Republicans strategically contested Al Franken's election in Minnesota and he didn't get seated for seven months.

The President's cause was helped in April when Pennsylvania's Republican Senator Arlen Specter switched parties.

That gave the President 59 votes -- still a vote shy of the super majority.

But one month later, Democratic Senator Byrd of West Virginia was hospitalized and was basically out of commission.

So while the President's number on paper was 59 Senators -- he was really working with just 58 Senators.

Then in July, Minnesota Senator Al Franken was finally sworn in, giving President Obama the magic 60 -- but only in theory, because Senator Byrd was still out.

In August, Senator Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts died and the number went back down to 59 again until Paul Kirk temporarily filled Kennedy's seat in September.

Any chance of a supermajority ended on February 4, 2010 when Republican Scott Brown was sworn into the seat Senator Kennedy once held.

But yes, the Senators from Aetna should have paid a price. Not just for killing the public option, but for killing much of what could have been in what followed.

Gather.com: Healthcare Bill - Aetna's Value Surges By $2 Billion In December
It's fairly well known that Aetna Insurance of Hartford has sent Connecticut Senator Joe Lieberman into the fray to flex his considerable muscle as the 60th vote needed by the Democrats. For that, the company has paid him a little over $100,000 this year.

In return, Lieberman nearly single-handedly killed the effort to expand Medicare to include Americans as young as 55. And this followed on the heels of his prior success in helping to scuttle the public option.

As a result, the health-insurance industry is popping corks all over town and the stock prices are soaring. Aetna's stock has increased 16.5% this month, through Tuesday's closing. That means the value of the company, as measured by its market price, has increased by over $2 billion in December alone.
Marketwatch.com: Aetna's money well spent
Lieberman, an independent who caucuses with Democrats, and fellow Connecticut Sen. Christopher Dodd, a retiring Democrat, got the most Aetna funds. But Aetna also went far and wide when it came to finding key players in the health-care debate, giving heavily to Montana's Max Baucus and Nebraska's Ben Nelson -- both Democrats -- as well as two moderate Republicans from Maine, Olympia Snowe and Susan Collins