Microsoft's Windows 8 Has Failed, Now What?

rstrong
Captain

Re: Microsoft's Windows 8 Has Failed, Now What?

Unread post by rstrong »

Go retro!

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Has anybody upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1? Seems like I can no longer get my wifi working. I always have limited connectivity, can't reach the default gateway. I had this issue initially with Windows 8, but reinstalling the wlan drivers fixed the issue. Unfortunately Lenovo doesn't have any specific drivers for 8.1, so I'm thinking I'm shit out of luck until they get those. Did anyone here have the same issue?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:Has anybody upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1? Seems like I can no longer get my wifi working. I always have limited connectivity, can't reach the default gateway. I had this issue initially with Windows 8, but reinstalling the wlan drivers fixed the issue. Unfortunately Lenovo doesn't have any specific drivers for 8.1, so I'm thinking I'm shit out of luck until they get those. Did anyone here have the same issue?
I updated to 8.1 a while back, on a virtual machine that's becoming my main desktop. And a couple days ago I installed the update. I had no problems, but then the (virtual) network card is emulating a very generic Intel E1000.

8.1 fixed my main complaint by bringing back the Start button in the lower left corner; with your desktop in a window it was hard to find that one pixel in 8.0. Update 1 adds more mouse-friendly features, and blends the traditional Modern (formerly Metro) desktops. The Start Menu will be returning in an update later this year.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:Has anybody upgraded from Windows 8 to 8.1? Seems like I can no longer get my wifi working. I always have limited connectivity, can't reach the default gateway. I had this issue initially with Windows 8, but reinstalling the wlan drivers fixed the issue. Unfortunately Lenovo doesn't have any specific drivers for 8.1, so I'm thinking I'm shit out of luck until they get those. Did anyone here have the same issue?
I updated to 8.1 a while back, on a virtual machine that's becoming my main desktop. And a couple days ago I installed the update. I had no problems, but then the (virtual) network card is emulating a very generic Intel E1000.

8.1 fixed my main complaint by bringing back the Start button in the lower left corner; with your desktop in a window it was hard to find that one pixel in 8.0. Update 1 adds more mouse-friendly features, and blends the traditional Modern (formerly Metro) desktops. The Start Menu will be returning in an update later this year.
I decided to reimage my machine with windows 8. I noticed on the lenovo website's drivers page there isn't any WLAN drivers available for 8.1, so maybe that has something to do with my issue. Even if I re-install the drivers for given for 8.0 still no luck. Oh well, back to 8.0 for now. Maybe everything will be resolved in the next windows version. Seems quite a few people had the same problem as me.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I find it impossible to believe that drivers for 8.0 won't work in 8.1. 8.1 is little more than a user interface update.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:I find it impossible to believe that drivers for 8.0 won't work in 8.1. 8.1 is little more than a user interface update.
Agreed, but I can't seem to get my wireless working. When I first purchased the computer, I had to uninstall/reinstall the drivers which was odd. Once I did that for the past month or so that I've had the computer, no issues at all. Yesterday I decided to upgrade. As soon as the installation was complete - no more wireless. I always have limited connectivity, can't find the gateway.I uninstalled/reinstalled the drivers, still nothing. Reimaged my computer back to Windows 8, installed the wlan drivers again, Wireless working again! I may try to reinstall windows 8.1 again just to see what happens.

One thing I did notice however is the driver version that works is < the driver version that appears to be not working on Windows 8.1. The driver is provided by Microsoft, so perhaps the Windows 8.1 installation tries to auto-install a newer version of the driver that doesn't actually work?

Current version:5.100.245.20. Windows 8.1 was 6.X

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

The countdown to 8.1 reinstall has begun. I will see you all on the other side.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

rstrong wrote:I find it impossible to believe that drivers for 8.0 won't work in 8.1. 8.1 is little more than a user interface update.
I've actually seen quite a few problems with 8.1 that are driver related. Who knows. I use Ubuntu whenever possible, unity doesn't piss me off near as bad as Metro.

I tried to like it... but ... nope.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:
I've actually seen quite a few problems with 8.1 that are driver related. Who knows. I use Ubuntu whenever possible, unity doesn't piss me off near as bad as Metro.

I tried to like it... but ... nope.
Yeah it's definitely a drivers issue with Windows 8.1. I did a clean install of 8, got my wlan working with the correct drivers (and noted the version being 5.x), upgraded to 8.1, no more wireless. Seems like Microsoft supplies some newer drivers when upgrading, which causes the wlan to stop working. I can't downgrade to the older version as far as I can tell. But that's the issue. Seems like the only thing I can do is go back to 8 at this point.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I know I'm not at the techie level of some of you guys, but I got a new machine about 6 months ago with 8.0, took the 8.1 upgrade, and haven't had any problems or significant complaints.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:I know I'm not at the techie level of some of you guys, but I got a new machine about 6 months ago with 8.0, took the 8.1 upgrade, and haven't had any problems or significant complaints.
I'm stumped. The only solution I have at this point is to either buy a wireless USB stick, or go back to Windows 8, which is what I think I'll do.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

What model Lenovo?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:What model Lenovo?
It's a G500.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:What model Lenovo?
Do you know of any good free imaging software? I want to make an image of my machine with all my programs/settings so next time I upgraded I can just revert back to my image if anything goes wrong. Looks like Macrium Reflect might be pretty good from what I've been reading.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Lenovo's driver page has a note specifically for the Windows 8.1 and the G500.
Intel WLAN Driver (Inbox) for Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad G400, G500

This driver is provided by Microsoft within your Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) installation.
Please use the Windows 8.1 Inbox driver.

What is Inbox driver?
Inbox driver is a native driver that is supplied with the Operating System.

What do I need to do?
Driver is automatically installed during installation.
There are no additional actions required by user.

I still have issues with my driver, what do I do next?
Please contact the Technical Support for further assistance.
So the Intel driver HAS changed for 8.1, though it's included in the OS. My guess is that it's not being recognized automatically, and you'll have to set it manually.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:Lenovo's driver page has a note specifically for the Windows 8.1 and the G500.
Intel WLAN Driver (Inbox) for Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) - IdeaPad G400, G500

This driver is provided by Microsoft within your Windows 8.1 (32-bit, 64-bit) installation.
Please use the Windows 8.1 Inbox driver.

What is Inbox driver?
Inbox driver is a native driver that is supplied with the Operating System.

What do I need to do?
Driver is automatically installed during installation.
There are no additional actions required by user.

I still have issues with my driver, what do I do next?
Please contact the Technical Support for further assistance.
So the Intel driver HAS changed for 8.1, though it's included in the OS. My guess is that it's not being recognized automatically, and you'll have to set it manually.
Tried that as well. It seems to be selecting the "correct" driver by default, which is the one provided by Microsoft that comes with Windows 8.1. It's a newer version driver from the one that was working in 8. I even tried using the manufacturer driver, still nothing.

Edit: Thanks for checking!

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Found this thread on Microsoft about the G500 specifically... you aren't the only one with problems.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 7a4ae7c4ae

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Goodbye Windows 8.1 Support

(not that it really was support in the first place)

:mrgreen:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Wneglia wrote:Goodbye Windows 8.1 Support

(not that it really was support in the first place)
In other words, 8.1 continues to be fully supported.

In XP terms, Service Pack 1 is out, and future updates are based on SP1. Which is also the standard way of doing things for most everyone else.

Of course, XP was fully supported for 12.5 years, and the vast majority of new Windows software still runs on it. Microsoft's newest programming tools let you write for XP.

My iMacs from 2001 were left behind by OS/X after two years. By 2007 there was virtually no software available that would run on them. My first generation iPad was left behind by iOS after two years. I recently replaced it because apps weren't supporting it after 3.5 years.

And just try getting updates for a Challenger 4P....

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

bannination wrote:Found this thread on Microsoft about the G500 specifically... you aren't the only one with problems.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 7a4ae7c4ae
Thanks for the info :thumbup: .

I may try to upgrade again at some point and try the suggestions on that link. I haven't tried those particular steps. Now that I've got an image made of my machine, it won't be as much of a problem.

This seems like some decent imaging software in case anyone is interested: http://www.macrium.com/

I haven't actually tried restoring my machine from an image yet, gonna try that this weekend, so it might actually be terrible. We'll see.