The Global Warming thread.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The Global Warming thread.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: "Got it, you're calling yourself a fencepost. Good one."
I may as well be a fencepost...I'm the only one left for you to argue with.

I had a feeling you were lurking around waiting on me.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede wrote: "....your paranoia and delusions of importance..."

:lol: :lol: Hey pot....meet kettle!

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Wonder whassup with all this flooding caused by unbelievable rainfalls in the major cities that have rarely had these problems, or the rarely occurring Hawaiian hurricanes...?

Reckon Global Warming has something to do with it? (oh wait....there's no such-a-dunnit as Global Warming)

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Quite possibly, one day AGW will be the least of our worries..... :---P

Giant Asteroid Hurtling To Earth Could Lead To Human Extinction

Stop what you’re doing, because human life as we know it could be about to come to an end. Or maybe it’s not. Either way, a giant asteroid is currently on a collision course with Earth, and if it hits then it could wipe out the planet.

If that’s enough to get your attention, then the fact that Asteroid 1950 DA apparently measures at 1,000 metres in diameter and could collide with Earth at around 40,000 miles per hour probably doesn’t bother you too.

According to the Daily Star, if the asteroid does hit our planet then it will cause such a huge explosion that “huge tsunamis capable of covering entire cities” will be triggered too. It’s also been revealed that the apocalyptic rock is traveling so fast at the moment that it is experiencing “negative gravity.”

Scientists have revealed that they regard any asteroid that measures in excess of 50 meters as a “city-killer,” so the fact that this one is 20 times the size of this warning has them increasingly alarmed. Another issue is that experts believe that it should have split up by now, but it is actually being held together by forces known as van der Waals.

A researcher from the University of Tennessee, Ben Rozitis has explained: “We found that 1950 DA is rotating faster than the break-up limit for its density. So if just gravity were holding this rubble pile together it would fly apart. Following the February 2013 asteroid impact in Russia there is renewed interest in figuring out how to deal with the potential hazard of an asteroid impact.”

He then added, “Understanding what holds these asteroids together can inform strategies to guard against future impact.”

However, those of you who have already started to build bomb-shelters and are beginning to pick which of their favorite friends and children will actually make it into their carefully structured, protective abode should probably cease their worrying because early predictions are that the asteroid will only strike Earth on March 16, 2880.

Odds that it will hit us on that date are currently at 300/1, while Charles Bolden, who is the chief at NASA, has admitted that the best defense against asteroids is prayer.

For the uninitiated, around 66 million years ago a huge asteroid collided with Earth in Mexico, and this led to the death of the dinosaurs as well as all of our plant life. This turned out to be good news for humans though, because a couple of million years later we profited from the demise of the T-Rex et al to become the dominant species of the planet.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Mr.B wrote:Quite possibly, one day AGW will be the least of our worries..... :---P

Stop what you’re doing, because human life as we know it could be about to come to an end. Or maybe it’s not. Either way, a giant asteroid is currently on a collision course with Earth, and if it hits then it could wipe out the planet.

If that’s enough to get your attention, then the fact that Asteroid 1950 DA apparently measures at 1,000 metres in diameter and could collide with Earth at around 40,000 miles per hour probably doesn’t bother you too.

According to the Daily Star, if the asteroid does hit our planet then it will cause such a huge explosion that “huge tsunamis capable of covering entire cities” will be triggered too. It’s also been revealed that the apocalyptic rock is traveling so fast at the moment that it is experiencing “negative gravity.”

Scientists have revealed that they regard any asteroid that measures in excess of 50 meters as a “city-killer,” so the fact that this one is 20 times the size of this warning has them increasingly alarmed. Another issue is that experts believe that it should have split up by now, but it is actually being held together by forces known as van der Waals.

A researcher from the University of Tennessee, Ben Rozitis has explained: “We found that 1950 DA is rotating faster than the break-up limit for its density. So if just gravity were holding this rubble pile together it would fly apart. Following the February 2013 asteroid impact in Russia there is renewed interest in figuring out how to deal with the potential hazard of an asteroid impact.”

He then added, “Understanding what holds these asteroids together can inform strategies to guard against future impact.”

However, those of you who have already started to build bomb-shelters and are beginning to pick which of their favorite friends and children will actually make it into their carefully structured, protective abode should probably cease their worrying because early predictions are that the asteroid will only strike Earth on March 16, 2880.

Odds that it will hit us on that date are currently at 300/1, while Charles Bolden, who is the chief at NASA, has admitted that the best defense against asteroids is prayer.

For the uninitiated, around 66 million years ago a huge asteroid collided with Earth in Mexico, and this led to the death of the dinosaurs as well as all of our plant life. This turned out to be good news for humans though, because a couple of million years later we profited from the demise of the T-Rex et al to become the dominant species of the planet.
Not possible, everyone knows the earth is only 2000 years old. Human's didn't exist 66 million years ago, and neither did Dino's.

....(and seriously, they didn't exist together.)

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Mr.B wrote:Quite possibly, one day AGW will be the least of our worries..... :---P

When asteroids strike they usually kick up a lot of dust into the atmosphere which blocks out the sun. This results in the world cooling down quite a bit since sun light is bounced back into space. If my calculations are correct, this asteroid should cancel out global warming.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

You may remember when a new law in North Carolina banned scientific predictions of sea-level rise. There were similar bans in Florida and Texas.

And now, largely to improve the chances of passing a bill approving the construction of the Keystone XL pipeline:

House Republicans just passed a bill forbidding scientists from advising the EPA on their own research

Well, that solves THAT problem. :thumbup:

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

I predict the opposite; the wingnuts will intensify their denials. It's what they do.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede wrote:That's a more certain prediction than any AGW model. Have you considered taking up sociology?
Nah, but I've thought about becoming a fortune teller / palm reader, mostly because I'd like one of those mysterious looking signs in my front yard...start off telling them I knew they were coming by and then just telling them what they want to hear once I know what that is. Piece of cake.

bannination
Captain

neoplacebo wrote:
Vrede wrote:That's a more certain prediction than any AGW model. Have you considered taking up sociology?
Nah, but I've thought about becoming a fortune teller / palm reader, mostly because I'd like one of those mysterious looking signs in my front yard...start off telling them I knew they were coming by and then just telling them what they want to hear once I know what that is. Piece of cake.
I've ventured into the fortune telling, I think I'm pretty good at it. I just say "JESUS is coming!!!" and they're all like AMEN BRO!!!!

I just hope they don't realize I'm a fraud.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

That's a good line to go with, too. The gullibility of the crowd seeking to have their fortunes told is without bounds.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

bannination wrote: "I just hope they don't realize I'm a fraud."
There's really never been any doubt....... :D

bannination
Captain

Mr.B wrote:
I disagree, I could go stand on a street corner and get plenty of Amen.... even though I'm spouting utter rubbish. They'll never know the difference.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

bannination wrote:
Mr.B wrote:
I disagree, I could go stand on a street corner and get plenty of Amen.... even though I'm spouting utter rubbish. They'll never know the difference.
Like I said........

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

They should have moved the doomsday clock at least another minute, so I could have posted this song, which I'm going to post anyway because I know you all just love to listen to all the music videos I spam you with:

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

bannination
Captain

Good news everyone! Republicans are starting to accepting global warming is a real thing!

Bad news everyone!
Gawd did it.

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/ ... rming-hoax

//facepalm

But hey, if they're at least starting to accept the science the remainder of the denial can only last so long..... (until the money from oil industries runs out I suppose.)

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

This fellow looks like Jason Boyer, the weatherman on WLOS news. Maybe he knows something....? :lol:

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

What happened to the youtube pic that was beside of Jason's pic?