Skyrunner

Wneglia
Midshipman

Skyrunner

Unread post by Wneglia »

Anybody use this or familiar with it. My DSL service is so poor because of where I'm located that I am looking at other options including satellite.

Skyrunner

bannination
Captain

Re: Skyrunner

Unread post by bannination »

DSL would have to be absolutely horrendous for satellite to beat it out.

I'd looking into getting a wireless 4g device with a USB hookup to the computer before going to sat.

It's bad. Real bad. You can pretty much forget any time sensitive applications like voice over IP, or bandwidth intensive applications like netflix or youtube.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I travel with a 4g AT&T mobile hotspot that as far as I can tell runs about the same as cable and better than many public/hotel places. Not cheap, but then slow service at any price is way too expensive.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

My download speed with DSL ranges from about 1-2.5 mbps which makes streaming almost impossible. I am waiting to hear from Skyrunner whether I'm in line of site of an access point. Otherwise, I may go the 4G route with ATT as my cell has a good signal here.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

This looks just like the service I was on, Xplornet, when I was living in Mitchell (Manitoba). A flat-panel antenna pointing at a distant tower.

It was indeed often faster than dial-up. But no, it was not comparable to DSL. Not even on DSL at its worst. "High-speed Broadband" means whatever they want it to mean.

And when everyone else with antennas pointed at the tower got home from school or work, it wasn't even faster than dial-up.

One way they gave the illusion of higher speed is through throttling. When you download a file, it would start to download at full speed. (Still MUCH slower than DSL.) But after only a couple seconds it would get throttled way back. I could watch this with my download manager.

This let most web pages load quickly, since they're usually made of many small files each of which would complete downloading in the first few seconds. But download a program or software patch or movie clip, and it would bog down. Streaming the Daily Show was impossible.

This also let speed test sites report unrealistic speeds. The file they'd test with would transfer in a couple seconds, before the throttling kicked in.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

SKYRUNNER ROCKS!!!!!!

11.2 Mbps down 4.6 up. Streaming here I come! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:mrgreen:

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

Wneglia wrote:SKYRUNNER ROCKS!!!!!!

11.2 Mbps down 4.6 up. Streaming here I come! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

:mrgreen:

Noice, congrats!