welfare sucks

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

welfare sucks

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

ConocoPhillips has made 7 billion in profits through 3 quarters of this year, it is the ninth largest company in the world.

But ConocoPhillips receives on average $600 million in tax breaks ever single year - allowing the oil giant to spend more than $20 million lobbying Congress so far in 2012

talk about a real asshole buying steak with their food stamps
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Re: welfare sucks

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

I would have to agree with ya here.

billy.pilgrim wrote:ConocoPhillips has made 7 billion in profits through 3 quarters of this year, it is the ninth largest company in the world.

But ConocoPhillips receives on average $600 million in tax breaks ever single year - allowing the oil giant to spend more than $20 million lobbying Congress so far in 2012

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

Well BP, how much tax revenue do you think CP generates? Is it enough to off set their tax break?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Reality wrote:Well BP, how much tax revenue do you think CP generates? Is it enough to off set their tax break?

I expected some idiocy from the right, but dude, you are approaching ragin kinda stupid

so by your calculations, a welfare queen can suck off the taxpayer's teat buying steaks with their food stamps, as long as they pay taxes equal to the subsidies. never mind all the services they use that are paid for by real taxpayers.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

Is this outrageous? Yes

Is it the company's fault for taking advantage of a tax law. No

It is the slease ball pols of both parties who make the tax laws.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Supsalemgr wrote:Is this outrageous? Yes

it's always easy to blame both parties and true there are big business paid whores in both parties, but one party has repeatedly tried to end or lower tax subsidies to oil companies and other profitable businesses that pay no tax for the services they demand from actual taxpayers and the other party stood arm in arm 100% against all attempts

party before country is the new republicons way, the inability to reject it, is your way

Reality
Wing commander

Unread post by Reality »

Welfare queen and CP are apples and oranges.

Does the welfare queen, there are kings also, create jobs?

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

billy.pilgrim wrote:

it's always easy to blame both parties and true there are big business paid whores in both parties, but one party has repeatedly tried to end or lower tax subsidies to oil companies and other profitable businesses that pay no tax for the services they demand from actual taxpayers and the other party stood arm in arm 100% against all attempts

party before country is the new republicons way, the inability to reject it, is your way
So Obama and the dems had control for 2 years and 2 years before that why didn't they do something about it if it's so bad.
In my opinion no business should get guvmit funds when they are making millions/billions. No business should get money or tax breaks if they send one job out of the US. I think all loop holes should be closed or eliminated, But those who blame those who take advantage of these loop holes that are there are wingnuts. :mrgreen:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Colonel Taylor wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

So Obama and the dems had control for 2 years and 2 years before that why didn't they do something about it if it's so bad.
In my opinion no business should get guvmit funds when they are making millions/billions. No business should get money or tax breaks if they send one job out of the US. I think all loop holes should be closed or eliminated, But those who blame those who take advantage of these loop holes that are there are wingnuts. :mrgreen:

as I said, there are whores on both sides. it only takes a few dem whores to join up with the 100% republicon big business whores to keep corporate welfare fat and happy

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Vrede wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:So Obama and the dems had control for 2 years

You're like a broken record. It was one year before the filibuster-proof majority dissipated and not really even then thanks to Byrd's age and Kennedy's illness.

and 2 years before that

Not with Shrub still POTUS and not with a bare majority.

why didn't they do something about it if it's so bad.

Because the Dems are beholden to the corporations, too, just not as much so as the GOP.

"those who take advantage of these loop holes" created them.
Not all. I had the best little accountant in the world. He knew every loop hole there ever was. Was I supposed to say no I want to pay more so some slacker on a street corner begging for guvmit handouts can get free stuff while I worked 70 hrs. per week while gambling with my own money. NOT!

It's the whole rotten system that needs fixing, starting with campaign finance law.

nobody
Red Shirt

Unread post by nobody »

billy.pilgrim wrote:ConocoPhillips has made 7 billion in profits through 3 quarters of this year, it is the ninth largest company in the world.

What are these tax breaks? No one ever says what they are.

gongoozler
Pilot Officer

Unread post by gongoozler »

How does paying less of what you earn equal taking money you didn't make?

nobody
Red Shirt

Unread post by nobody »

Vrede wrote:
nobody wrote:What are these tax breaks? No one ever says what they are.
Ever here of googling, lazy? http://www.goodsearch.com/search-web?ut ... tax+breaks
Those are nothing but list of list. You South African dumb ass. What particular tax breaks were used by CP Yo get to the number of tax savings he posted.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede wrote:
Reality wrote:Welfare queen and CP are apples and oranges.

Does the welfare queen, there are kings also, create jobs?
Consumers create jobs, companies just take advantage of the opportunity.
they've listened to the bs the rich have been pushing for thousands of years, "give us everything we want and we will take care of you peasants" and don't have a clue that consumption drives the economy and the strength of a country is derived from the strength of the individual to withstand adversity. the power of the wealthy is derived by pushing the economy to the brink of disaster, creating the situation where the worker knows that even a little bump in his life will destroy his life - work hard, don't get sick and shut-up

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

gongoozler wrote:How does paying less of what you earn equal taking money you didn't make?

equal, who said equal? oh, I get it, you have shifted to your typical strawman attack mode.

corporations that buy law and regulation to promote their self interest is not good for anyone, palin and simple. unknown to the teabaggers, that's what the boston tea party was all about - fighting corporate abuse of tax policy for their self-interest

gongoozler
Pilot Officer

billy.pilgrim wrote:
gongoozler wrote:How does paying less of what you earn equal taking money you didn't make?

equal, who said equal? oh, I get it, you have shifted to your typical strawman attack mode.
Did you, or did you not, call tax breaks welfare by naming the thread "welfare sucks" and talking about tax breaks given to a corporation?

nobody
Red Shirt

Unread post by nobody »

Vrede wrote:
nobody wrote:
Vrede wrote:
nobody wrote:What are these tax breaks? No one ever says what they are.
Ever here of googling, lazy? http://www.goodsearch.com/search-web?ut ... tax+breaks
Those are nothing but list of list. You South African dumb ass. What particular tax breaks were used by CP Yo get to the number of tax savings he posted.
You asked a general question, dumb ass, I answered it. As to your specific question, lazy ass, here: http://www.goodsearch.com/search-web?ut ... +tax+break

No I quoted the pilgrim so my question was to his particular post!

See:
nobody wrote:

What are these tax breaks? No one ever says what they are.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

gongoozler wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Did you, or did you not, call tax breaks welfare by naming the thread "welfare sucks" and talking about tax breaks given to a corporation?
do you, or do you not, understand the definition of corporate welfare?

corporations that buy law and regulation to promote their self interest is not good for anyone, palin and simple. unknown to the teabaggers, that's what the boston tea party was all about - fighting corporate abuse of tax policy for their self-interest - fighting welfare to the corporations

gongoozler
Pilot Officer

billy.pilgrim wrote:
gongoozler wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

do you, or do you not, understand the definition of corporate welfare?

corporations that buy law and regulation to promote their self interest is not good for anyone, palin and simple. unknown to the teabaggers, that's what the boston tea party was all about - fighting corporate abuse of tax policy for their self-interest - fighting welfare to the corporations
So you are comparing welfare to tax breaks. No strawman here.

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

Vrede wrote:You're like a broken record. It was one year before the filibuster-proof majority dissipated and not really even then thanks to Byrd's age and Kennedy's illness.the corporations, too, just not as much so as the GOP.

And don't forget it took 8 months after the election to seat the D. Minn. Senater Franken.