Can't make this (stuff) up

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Can't make this (stuff) up

Unread post by Seth Milner »

This has rstrong written all over it:

Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Seth Milner wrote:This has rstrong written all over it:

like the cartoon, but don't understand the connection to rstrong
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

billy.pilgrim wrote:

Rstrong always busts out with his encyclopedic knowledge and witty puns while me and Seth milller lite flail around like toddlers caught on fire.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

JTA wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Rstrong always busts out with his encyclopedic knowledge and witty puns while me and Seth milller lite flail around like toddlers caught on fire.

I see you and seth as having a good understanding of history. the cartoons point (to me) appears to be more in line with an educated view being overwhelmed by the ignorance of the majority (and fox news)
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote: Rstrong always busts out with his encyclopedic knowledge . . .
billy.pilgrim wrote: I see you and seth as having a good understanding of history. the cartoons point (to me) appears to be more in line with an educated view being overwhelmed by the ignorance of the majority (and fox news)
JTA's correct. It was intended as a jab at rstrong for his wryness and dry sense of humor. Whether it be a pun, joke, or even anything serious, rstrong "busts out with his encyclopedic knowledge", i.e., he goes to great lengths to explain the history and/or background of the subject at hand. With his dead-serious outlook on all subjects, he's "doomed to repeat" (history). I bet he doesn't have a 'funny bone'.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
JTA wrote: Rstrong always busts out with his encyclopedic knowledge . . .
billy.pilgrim wrote: I see you and seth as having a good understanding of history. the cartoons point (to me) appears to be more in line with an educated view being overwhelmed by the ignorance of the majority (and fox news)
JTA's correct. It was intended as a jab at rstrong for his wryness and dry sense of humor. Whether it be a pun, joke, or even anything serious, rstrong "busts out with his encyclopedic knowledge", i.e., he goes to great lengths to explain the history and/or background of the subject at hand. With his dead-serious outlook on all subjects, he's "doomed to repeat" (history). I bet he doesn't have a 'funny bone'.
Seth Milner Lite, you done contradicted yourself boy.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

JTA wrote: Seth Milner Lite, you done contradicted yourself boy.
I knew something about that statement didn't come out right. I got my tange all tongueled up and couldn't see what I was saying.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

(Roselle Police Department)

Perhaps the world does need autonomous cars.

Police in the city of Roselle, Ill., recently pulled over a suspected drunk driver, having been tipped off by a fellow motorist who happened to notice a car cruising along with a 15-foot tree stuck in its grille.

After locating and pulling over the Lincoln Town Car, the officer who approached it noticed that the front airbags had been deployed, presumably from contact with the tree. According to the Chicago Tribune, the driver, who smelled of alcohol, admitted that she hit the tree in the neighboring town of Schaumberg, but couldn’t remember exactly where.

The driver then failed a field sobriety test and was booked with a DUI offense. No surprise, the photos posted to the police department’s Facebook page have gone viral, with over 19,000 shares since March 4th, helping it get out the very obvious message:

“Yet another reason why you should not drink and drive!”

Comment by: publius212:
A good defense attorney will get her out of the DWI. The police had no cause to pull her over. Imagine the police pulling everyone over who had a tree on their car. No one would go Christmas Tree shopping. How one woman decorates her car is none of the police business. This is clearly a case where the police made an unlawful stop. Had the owner of the tree reported it missing, then the police might have cause, provided the owner could give an accurate description, and the police were knowledgeable arborists. Tough to identify without the leaves. We all know the police cannot inspect your "trunk" without your permission or a search warrant. Hence, I believe this was an unlawful stop. That said, I think the police were out on a limb and barking up the wrong tree.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:Rstrong always busts out with his encyclopedic knowledge and witty puns while me and Seth milller lite flail around like toddlers caught on fire.
I don't have anything like an "encyclopedic knowledge." I'm just getting old, and when someone is trying rally the wingnuts with some "new" threat, chances are I've need it before.

One "cheat" I've been using: Keeping notes.

I used to counter the conspiracy crowd on Digg before it imploded in 2010. No matter how completely you debunked a claim, they'd still be repeating it a few days later. Usually with a dozen more dumb claims added on, hoping that no-one would take the time to counter them all. It was like encountering an army of Seth Milners.

So I created a folder on my desktop and added Notepad files for each topic. If I researched/wrote or read a debunking of the latest "Bush II Gonna Declare Martial Law!!!" claim, I'd add it to the appropriate Notepad file.

OneNote would be perfect for this sort of thing - especially if you want everything available on your cell phone or laptop - but a folder full of text files, links and whatnot works for me.

And so now when some gullible twit claims that Republicans oppose immigration amnesty or would end abortion, I already have the links and written debunking. When someone claims Obama is somehow anti-gun, I already have a comparison to earlier Republican Presidents. When Milner made his claim that America wasn't using torture practices like slicing people's genitals, I already had the proof - links to reporting of government officials testifying in court about it - in a file.

Witty puns would be a failing on my part. Puns should not be witty. A proper pun should curdle milk at 20 paces.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

I have a similar 'internet forums' file. Beyond that, "encyclopedic knowledge" isn't needed, just the smarts and humility to do the investigation when unsure that Seth Milner fails so miserably at, and the integrity and balls to immediately admit any factual or logical error that Seth Milner was never taught.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I simply bring my own, home-grown, facts to the debate.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:Beyond that, "encyclopedic knowledge" isn't needed, just the smarts and humility to do the investigation when unsure that Seth Milner fails so miserably at, and the integrity and balls to immediately admit any factual or logical error that Seth Milner was never taught.
It makes me wonder if he's a Nascar Fan.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:I have a similar 'internet forums' file. Beyond that, "encyclopedic knowledge" isn't needed, just the smarts and humility to do the investigation when unsure that Seth Milner fails so miserably at, and the integrity and balls to immediately admit any factual or logical error that Seth Milner was never taught.
Being able to admit you're wrong and to consider alternate views, and adjust yours accordingly is indeed a mark of intelligence, but according to the internet handbook (which you all apparently have failed to consult, rule 17-B), one is to never admit they're wrong to an internet forum adversary...ever, even if you're arguing the sky is green and 2+2=5.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:...never admit they're wrong to an internet forum adversary...ever, even if you're arguing the sky is green and 2+2=5.
Yup. Those who strongly defended Bush II now insist that time started in January 2009, or that Bush II & Friends weren't really Republicans anyway.

Before long, Trump's lead in the primaries (and possible nomination) will Never Have Happened.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
JTA wrote:...never admit they're wrong to an internet forum adversary...ever, even if you're arguing the sky is green and 2+2=5.
Yup. Those who strongly defended Bush II now insist that time started in January 2009, or that Bush II & Friends weren't really Republicans anyway.

Before long, Trump's lead in the primaries (and possible nomination) will Never Have Happened.
Trump, the Nebraskan farm-boy of modest beginnings cum billionaire through is own bootstrap-pulling and praise of Jesus.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

rstrong wrote:
Vrede too wrote:Beyond that, "encyclopedic knowledge" isn't needed, just the smarts and humility to do the investigation when unsure that Seth Milner fails so miserably at, and the integrity and balls to immediately admit any factual or logical error that Seth Milner was never taught.
Are you ever going to stop fantasizing about my balls? I wish you would; you're creeping me out.
It makes me wonder if he's a Nascar Fan.
No. I equate Nascar with wrestling; a redneck "sport".

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

So I'm looking for an obituary of an acquaintance and I find this:
(Did Boatrocker die?) :lol:
George Koskey

Born: March 24, 1926
Died: March 15, 2016

Columbus, NC- George E. Koskey died on Tuesday, March 15, 2016.

He always said that heaven and hell existed here on earth, instead of some mythical place after life.
If there isn’t, he won’t be disappointed.

He is survived by his wife Dolores, a daughter Jo Ann Schneider (a son George preceded him in death), and five grandchildren.
He had high standards, which some identified as opinionated. He was often critical in his work about management styles which led him to many work environments. He was a vice president of three companies, president of another, and had his own business, so it can be said that he did preform in the work place.

He had an engineering degree and an MBA. His work was all in high tech industries.

He served his jury duty in life. Ran the city United Fund and on the Board of Directors for five years, two years a little league coach, six years as a Scout Master, three years in the Navy aboard a Destroyer during WWII, three tours in the Peace Corps (two after retirement) in South America, Africa, and the South Pacific. Semi-retired and taught at the University level for two years.

His wife, Dolores, has been quoted saying "he was a pain in the ass at times and we had serious disagreements only several times a year but we had each other."

There will be no memorial service; he says "have one on me".
There is a rumor that he prepaid for some drinks at a local pub; see if your name is on the list.
info@mcfarlandfuneralchapel.com
54 McFarland Drive Hwy. 108
Tryon, North Carolina 28782

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Online Polls Gone Wrong:

http://www.cracked.com/quick-fixes/6-hi ... e-awry_p2/

The best one was when Mountain Dew asked internet users to give their newest beverage a name, called "Dub the Dew"

Top 10:

Others:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Not an online poll but 15 or so years ago NC built a new elementary school and let the kids vote on the name. They picked "Springfield Elementary", which baffled the authorities but they went along since it sounded nice. Then, someone pointed out that the name came from The Simpsons. The authorities rescinded, there was an outcry and - not 100% sure about this part - the authorities relented and the kids won.

Somewhat related - I was a 7th grader in brand new Tilden Jr. High. We voted on the mascot and the way cool Tarantulas won. The authorities objected and a new vote was held with just the 8th & 9th graders allowed to vote. We became the hackneyed, easily duped and somewhat sexual Trojans. This was a lesson for me in US "democracy" that has never been contradicted in the 46 years since.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

There are quite a few South Park Elementary schools across the US. I remember a news story around five years ago about a South Park Elementary school in England whose administration was rather upset at the TV show.