The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by rstrong »

I've only had one (1) 16oz Longhorn Rib Steak in the last 24 hours.

And that's only because I didn't feel like cooking. And the only nearby restaurant is a steak house.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Ethical question: If I don't anticipate learning anything useful to my patient care and certainly nothing I couldn't get by reading an article, would I be a creep by adding to drug costs or am I merely reducing the company's profits?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:Ethical question: If I don't anticipate learning anything useful to my patient care and certainly nothing I couldn't get by reading an article, would I be a creep by adding to drug costs or am I merely reducing the company's profits?
Eat their steak. Order extra drinks. It's not like drug costs are really based on company expenses.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Good point. If I go I'll order as much as I can get away with and bring a doggie bag.
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

I'll take the day off from my usual tirades and wish you all this.

Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Thanks - you too.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

What we're eating:

Image :clap:
from Greenberg Smoked Turkeys

:mrgreen:

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

Tofurky! The Thanksgiving meal of unfat people everywhere. Praise be to the FSM. Happy Thanksgiving all!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Burger King Verified account
‏@BurgerKing

At BK everyone gets to keep their crown.

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Sometime Lefty wrote:Image

Tofurky! The Thanksgiving meal of unfat people everywhere. Praise be to the FSM. Happy Thanksgiving all!
Looks like it's already been eaten. :sick: :sick:
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

Seth Milner wrote:
Sometime Lefty wrote:Image

Looks like it's already been eaten. :sick: :sick:
Sometimes he eats his shit left handed. His name says so.
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

VICTORY: The DARK Act was blocked in the Senate.

Great news! The Senate voted Wednesday to block the DARK Act from moving forward.

By a stunning 48-49 vote, senators took a critical procedural vote on this dangerous legislation that would block GMO labeling, and it failed to reach the required 60-vote threshold.

We couldn’t have done this without your activism. CREDO activists generated hundreds of thousands of petition signatures and more than 1,000 calls to key senators urging them to protect our right to know what’s in our food, including GMO ingredients. Several of the senators who were on the fence and received calls from CREDO activists in the past week voted to block the bill from moving forward....

This victory will not only protect Vermont’s landmark labeling law, but it could also lay the groundwork for Senate Democrats to negotiate a national, mandatory, on-package GMO labeling standard for all food produced and sold in the United States.

Thank you for all you’ve done to help win this fight.

Josh Nelson, Campaign Manager
CREDO Action from Working Assets
Take a moment to thank the Senate for doing the right thing and urge your senators to move toward passing legislation to ensure GMO food labeling in the future.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

NC's 2 GOP Senators both voted to block GMO labeling and against our right to know what’s in our food, including GMO ingredients. :roll:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Sick and Wrong
EPA finally looks at how three common pesticides harm endangered species — and the results are horrifying

... Some 97 percent of more than 1,700 animals and plants protected under the Endangered Species Act are likely to be hurt by malathion andchlorpyrifos. Another 79 percent are likely to be hurt by diazinon....

For years, scientists and activists have raised concern about how the 1 billion pounds of pesticides dumped on the American landscape each year are affecting people, wildlife, water and air. And for years the EPA has been blithely approving pesticides without bothering to fully examine whether they’re actually safe. That has change.

The Center (for Biological Diversity) went to court in 2014 to spur that change in the EPA. Predictably the agency dragged its feet. The analyses released last week on malathion, chlorpyrifos and diazinon were the first in a series of nationwide biological evaluations the EPA must complete as part of legal settlements with the Center.

... The Center, along with allies from public-health, workers’ justice and child-advocacy groups, recently called for a ban on organophosphates, citing studies linking them to cognitive delays in children and a host of other human health effects. The World Health Organization last year announced that malathion and diazinon are probable carcinogens....

The EPA has allowed chemical companies to register more than 16,000 pesticides without properly considering their impacts. It’s a broken system that needs to be fixed — and fast. The EPA needs to move forward with the analyses for other dangerous products but also quickly implement on-the-ground efforts to prevent the extinction of rare and unique wildlife from these pesticides.

The data is clear, the science is clear. What’s needed now is the willingness to do what’s right for people, wildlife and the environment we all depend upon — before another billion pounds is dumped on us next year.
Buy organic.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How To Ripen An Avocado In 10 Minutes

Cool, bet it would work in the sun, too.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:How To Ripen An Avocado In 10 Minutes

Cool, bet it would work in the sun, too.
before the first Tennessee September frost frost my grandfather would pull the 20 or 30 tomato plants with the most green tomatoes and spread the plants out in the attic so that none of the tomatoes were touching. My grandmother would pick these still rock hard green tomatoes and put them is a brown paper bag with an apple for 2 to 3 days. The ethylene gas given off by the apple ripens the green tomato.

I'll try the oven, or sun. 10 minutes to ripe is hard to beat. I have always used an apple to speed the ripening of avocadoes - usually looking at next day.

and
don't put bananas and apples in the same fruit bowl, if you want the bananas to last
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:... and
don't put bananas and apples in the same fruit bowl, if you want the bananas to last
Interesting. I don't eat a lot of apples but I do put bananas and pears in the same fruit bowl. I haven't had noticed an issue with it, but I'll keep an eye out.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:... and
Interesting. I don't eat a lot of apples but I do put bananas and pears in the same fruit bowl. I haven't had noticed an issue with it, but I'll keep an eye out.

I don't think pears give off a lot.

try putting a banana in a paper bag with a red apple and compare to another banana from the same bunch a couple of days later.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”