Bug Report

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Bug Report

Unread post by Vrede too »

Not a big deal but I keep having to login when I used to just stay logged in from my home computer. Is this happening to others? Did you change something, banni?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I have my browsers set to automatically clear the cache and cookies whenever I close the browser completely. (All windows and tabs.) This to erase any tracking cookies. That also erases this forum's cookie, so I have to log in again.

Still, occasionally I have to log in again to this site and another for no apparent reason. It seems to happen whenever I log into my webmail page and close it. But only at home where my browsers are set to clear cookies. At the office I'm still logged in if I visit the forum, so long as I've never closed all the browser windows.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I have not been clearing my cookies, yet I started having to log in again each time a couple of weeks ago.

I do use Firefox Tracking Protection. Why is clearing the cookies to erase any tracking cookies better?
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

I don't remember changing anything..... but I relaxed some settings that might help.

Let me know if you still experience it, I'll see if there is anything else i can do. It shouldn't have anything to do with the tracking protection in firefox I also have that enabled.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Still doing it, maybe a Firefox update did something. Again, no biggie, just strange after all these years.
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Vrede too wrote:Still doing it, maybe a Firefox update did something. Again, no biggie, just strange after all these years.
Complete stupid question on my part, but you are checking the "remember me" box right?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Isn't making a difference. I can close the window and return seconds later and I have to log in.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:Isn't making a difference. I can close the window and return seconds later and I have to log in.
I get this in Explorer or Edge - as expected - if I have them set to clear all cookies on exit. This sounds like what something named Firefox Tracking Protection would do too. Does it let you add an exception?

bannination
Captain

Here's my setup -- make sure that it's set to remember history, or if not, there will be an option that says clear cookies on exit, make sure that one is not checked.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:I get this in Explorer or Edge - as expected - if I have them set to clear all cookies on exit. This sounds like what something named Firefox Tracking Protection would do too.

Must be something different. I "Use Tracking Protection in Private Windows". I tried without it, but it made no difference here. I also "Accept cookies from sites" and keep them until "they expire".

Does it let you add an exception?

Yes, but they shouldn't go away. Why do you clear the cookies?
bannination wrote:Here's my setup -- make sure that it's set to remember history, or if not, there will be an option that says clear cookies on exit, make sure that one is not checked.
I "Clear history when Firefox closes". Paranoid, I know, but just in case I search things to do to:

;)

But, I've done this for a long time. Maybe a Firefox update changed how these settings treat this site. Not a problem, I type in a "v" for "Username" and the rest and password auto-fill.

If I open BRD in a new window when I'm already logged in with one window, I still have to log in anew.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:Why do you clear the cookies?
Privacy. While cookies are used to store your login credentials, they can also be used to track your browsing habits. Especially cookies stored by ads, where many sites use the same ad agency.

To them you may just be user (random number). They're building up an bio on you. Look up a specific item on Google, and suddenly you get related advertising on other sites. Then once you log into Facebook or Amazon or Gmail or YouTube or some contest site or pay a bill online, they connect your name to that number.

I've always advised Facebook users not to fill in any more information than they absolutely have to. Even if you choose not so share your information, a "Friend" can authorize sharing all their "Friend's" information when they sign up for a contest.

But Facebook is filling in your personal information regardless, even if you don't. They're buying it from other marketing services who track your Visa purchases and whatnot.
ProPublica found the social network is purchasing additional information including personal income, where a person eats out and how many credit cards they keep. That data all comes separate from the unique identifiers that Facebook generates for its users based on interests and online behavior. A separate investigation by ProPublica in which the publication asked users to report categories of interest Facebook assigned to them generated more than 52,000 attributes. The data Facebook pays for from other brokers to round out user profiles isn't disclosed by the company beyond a note that it gets information "from a few different sources." Those sources, according to ProPublica, come from commercial data brokers who have access to information about people that isn't linked directly to online behavior.
Clearing your cookies often (and avoiding sites like Facebook) minimizes the bios they're creating on you.

It's not just about privacy. If you follow sites like The Risks and Techdirt, you can see tech-problems coming over the horizon. (The Risks of electronic voting machines not producing a verifiable log for recounts - an issue this year - were endlessly discussed in The Risks over 20 years ago.) One problem that's been growing is the role of all these databases in "confirmation bias" once police get a hold of them.

Cardinal Richelieu said, "If you give me six lines written by the hand of the most honest of men, I will find something in them which will hang him." We're seeing a growing number of cases where that's happening.

Clear those cookies.

edit: typos

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Done. We'll see if it's a hassle.

I don't do NSAbook . . . but banni seems a little shady.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

I'll leave a browser window open on this forum for a couple days at a time. But it's a safe bet that my browser windows will all be closed for one reason or another - and all the cookies cleared - every few days. I have to log in again, but its a trade-off I'm willing to live with.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Without my changing any settings, starting yesterday I no longer have to login. Did you do something, banni, or is e-FSM just messing with me?
1312. ETTD.

bannination
Captain

Vrede too wrote:Without my changing any settings, starting yesterday I no longer have to login. Did you do something, banni, or is e-FSM just messing with me?
I did make a change that had been bothering me for a long time in prep for moving some files behind the scenes. If you arrive at the site using "blueridgedebate.com" it automatically redirects you to "www.blueridgedebate.com".

I probably did that change last weekend though.

Either way, cheers!

EDIT: Just realized your post was on Monday..... that's too crazy to be a coincidence.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Okay then, but I guess we'll never know why I suddenly started having to log in a few weeks ago.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Hey, Banni, why donchya figure out how Vrede hacked the site and re-ordered posts?
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I even changed the site motto to help cover my tracks. :twisted:
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:I even changed the site motto to help cover my tracks. :twisted:
Where Republicans fear to tread.
Hey! I'm a republican!

Oh, wait. You mean Republican, not republican.

Never mind. :oops:

bannination
Captain

Boatrocker wrote:Hey, Banni, why donchya figure out how Vrede hacked the site and re-ordered posts?
The dude changed the color scheme of the forum after the inauguration too!