Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: Education thread

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:"I have a question of logic - no political viewpoint necessary. If passing laws prohibiting or limited some behaviour doesn't stop that behaviour, then why have any laws prohibiting or restricting any behaviour? If speed limits don't stop people from speeding, why have speed limits? If people rob banks despite laws against it, why have laws against robbing banks?"
You opened a whole new can of worms right there. Your questions could apply to practically every "don't you do that" scenario known to man; but man being the carnal creature he is, is going to test every prohibition at any and every opportunity.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Mr.B wrote:...; but man being the carnal creature he is, is going to test every prohibition at any and every opportunity.
Everybody does that? Really? I don't think so. But if that were true, would you be in favor of repealing all laws prohibiting anything?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:
Mr.B wrote:"...but man being the carnal creature he is, is going to test every prohibition at any and every opportunity."
"Everybody does that? Really? I don't think so."
No, no, no, I didn't say 'everybody' does that... (you know what I meant)

"But if that were true, would you be in favor of repealing all laws prohibiting anything?"
Of course not; we just can't repeal all prohibitive laws ... those minor infractions such as speeding, expired tags, burned out tag/tail lights, selling untaxed alcohol & cigarettes, buying out of state and not paying sales taxes.... blah, blah, blah would drive our local governments broke in no time!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:Ah, see, you had a wise mother. Since prohibiting your adventurous behaviour did not prevent it, she became in charge of the NRA and only asks that you tell her who you intend to shoot. :crazy:
There were limits to what she would tolerate and what I would tell her about, along with things that neither of us would ever do.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Mass incarceration and children’s outcomes
Criminal justice policy is education policy

Executive summary

As many as one in ten African American students has an incarcerated parent. One in four has a parent who is or has been incarcerated. The discriminatory incarceration of African American parents is an important cause of their children’s lowered performance, especially in schools where the trauma of parental incarceration is concentrated. In this report, we review studies from many disciplines showing that parental incarceration leads to an array of cognitive and noncognitive outcomes known to affect children’s performance in school, and we conclude that our criminal justice system makes an important contribution to the racial achievement gap.

... In 2014, over 700,000 prisoners nationwide were serving sentences of a year or longer for nonviolent crimes....

Research in criminal justice, health, sociology, epidemiology, and economics demonstrates that when parents are incarcerated, children do worse across cognitive and noncognitive outcome measures.

Key findings include:

* An African American child is six times as likely as a white child to have or have had an incarcerated parent. A growing share of African Americans have been arrested for drug crimes, yet African Americans are no more likely than whites to sell or use drugs.

* Independent of other social and economic characteristics, children of incarcerated parents are more likely to:
*** drop out of school
*** develop learning disabilities, including attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
*** misbehave in school
*** suffer from migraines, asthma, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety, post-traumatic stress disorder, and homelessness

Each of these conditions presents a challenge to student performance.

To improve their students’ outcomes, educators should join forces with criminal justice reformers to:

* eliminate disparities between minimum sentences for possession of crack vs. powder cocaine
* repeal mandatory minimum sentences for minor drug offenses and other nonviolent crimes
* encourage President Obama to increase the pace of pardons and commutations in the final days of his term
* increase funding for social, educational, and employment programs for released offenders

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

We have had back to back drug using presidents.

Lil bush just blew his off as youthful indiscretion and to hell with the kids and families these laws destroy, they should of had rich parents like he did.

But obama claims to see the damage caused by these laws. If he doesn't do something in these next few weeks, color him just another republican, or just another dem without a hair on his sorry ass.

These laws cause so much more destruction than the drugs.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:We have had back to back drug using presidents....
Now we have a booze pusher president.
billy.pilgrim wrote:... These laws cause so much more destruction than the drugs.
And, they only serve to add to destruction caused by the drugs without preventing any of it.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well the saving grace of it is that the Department of Education hasn't generally had much to with with actual education. Mostly funding of stuff, which of course could get screwed up badly. But it's not like they set curriculum or teacher certification standards or for that matter even authorize new schools. Republicans for some reason have long disliked Education (fraudian slip - yes, I meant the department, but the statement also applies as is :lol: )
so it will be interesting to see if they give it more authority now that they have a loon leading it, or if they will continue to want to cut. In any case, and from any perspective, I can't imagine a worse pick for Secretary.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

From the 2nd link:
... Trump’s already said he plans to push for a $20 billion nationwide private school voucher program, and now he’s picked DeVos to help fight for his outrageous proposal.

Private school vouchers divert desperately needed resources away from the public school system to fund the education of just a few voucher students. Diverting $20 billion could have a devastating impact. And that’s not all—voucher programs have proven ineffective, lack accountability to taxpayers, deprive students of rights provided to public school students, and threaten the freedom of religion and belief....
What existing Department of Education spending or other federal programs will this come from?
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

... Trump’s already said he plans to push for a $20 billion nationwide private school voucher program
And if the private school makes you wear a uniform, you can claim to be essentially a veteran and to know more than the nation's generals.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

After all, our children deserve to know that our 6,000 year old earth is flat and is the center of the universe.

Keep em stupid and they'll believe anything
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Senate Democrats: Betsy DeVos is not qualified to be secretary of education

The petition to Senate Democrats reads:

"Block and resist Betsy DeVos’ confirmation as secretary of education.”
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:A young CNA colleague of mine asked for advise on the mechanics of writing a psychology research paper - sourcing, citation, etc. - she's never done one. I helped a bit and will try to find some basic rules to forward to her. It's not a big deal - pick some psychologist, answer 5 questions, 6 pages expected. Then, I had a brainstorm (or flashback 8-) ) and suggested that instead of the typical dry and boring psychologist, she could write positively or negatively about Timothy Leary. She had never heard of him, but Wiki'd him and may do it. I think I either got her an A or kicked out of school. :o
She told me that his wild life kept her interested in the paper, she got an A and the teacher said that it was only the 2nd time in her career that a student had picked Leary.

8-) :thumbsup:
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Well, I'm sure trumphole psych papers are a dime a gross, now, or certainly will be by end of semester.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

He's not a psychologist. I could suggest him if she has to do a paper on crazy people, but maybe you're right that Pence would be more unique.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Another teacher who wasn't around when I was 13 :cry:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/mor ... a#comments

Yes, I know the arguments about "child abuse" and I guess it's not easy to look at each one as an individual case, but I do remember being 13-14 or so and I'm really sure I wouldn't have been ruined if my teacher had responded to my "advances." (Not that I made any IRL, but still...)

Hell, probably couldn't even be a "Hot for Teacher" anymore... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M4_Ommfvv0

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

You had Lillian Müller, NSFW Lillian Müller for a teacher?
1312. ETTD.