The car thread ...

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The car thread ...

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Must be true - when has VW ever lied?
:D

I'll hope. I would definitely by a reasonably priced one and have no problem with a 15 minute break every 300 miles.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:
... Engadget reported that charging a battery sufficient for 300 miles of driving in 15-minutes would require 800-volt charging technology. As a comparison point, Tesla’s Model S gains 58 miles of range per hour of 240-volt charging. So if VW is going to deliver on the 300-mile range with 15 minutes of charging promise, charging technology development will need to make a big leap pretty fast. And then the chargers will have to be widely available if owners are going to use the EVs for longer trips....
"Would require 800-volt charging technology." In other words, the equivalent of Tesla's superchargers, not mentioned above. Which add up to 125 miles of range in 20 minutes and a full charge in approximately one hour assuming a nearly empty 85 kWh battery. As of April there are over 620 open superchargers around the world.

Tesla is about to release its 3rd generation battery for existing models. It'll give the Model S a range of over 300 miles. No word on the charging time. Swapping batteries shouldn't be a problem, since they're designed to allow fast battery swapping. (As little as 90 seconds at one of Tesla's range-extending road-side battery swap locations.)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:... they're designed to allow fast battery swapping. (As little as 90 seconds at one of Tesla's range-extending road-side battery swap locations.)
For their NASCAR entries?
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The plan was for battery swapping stations at Tesla supercharge stations. Battery swapping was to be deployed from San Francisco to Los Angeles followed by the Washington, D.C. to Boston corridor.

But the only location so far is at Harris Ranch, California. Tesla says they have hundreds of cars in the battery swap program, but it turned out few owners were interested in using the service. There's to lack of demand for battery swaps costing around $60 when supercharging is included free with most models. (The $60 was to be competitive with gasoline refills.) In June 2015, Tesla said that it was unlikely that more battery swap stations would be added.

Still, the fast battery swap capability is there in the cars. Upgrading to a newer generation battery would be easy.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

rstrong wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
... Engadget reported that charging a battery sufficient for 300 miles of driving in 15-minutes would require 800-volt charging technology. As a comparison point, Tesla’s Model S gains 58 miles of range per hour of 240-volt charging. So if VW is going to deliver on the 300-mile range with 15 minutes of charging promise, charging technology development will need to make a big leap pretty fast. And then the chargers will have to be widely available if owners are going to use the EVs for longer trips....
"Would require 800-volt charging technology." In other words, the equivalent of Tesla's superchargers, not mentioned above. Which add up to 125 miles of range in 20 minutes and a full charge in approximately one hour assuming a nearly empty 85 kWh battery. As of April there are over 620 open superchargers around the world.

Tesla is about to release its 3rd generation battery for existing models. It'll give the Model S a range of over 300 miles. No word on the charging time. Swapping batteries shouldn't be a problem, since they're designed to allow fast battery swapping. (As little as 90 seconds at one of Tesla's range-extending road-side battery swap locations.)

Sounds like a great feature at restaurants and roadside type stores.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Hmmmm... do I smell a franchise possibility?
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

rstrong wrote:
That settlement covers 2.0 litre engines only.

But US authorities have been notified of cheats in VW, Audi and Porsche's 3.0 litre engines. The engines would shut down emissions control systems after about 22 minutes. Methods to measure emissions usually last about 20 minutes.

So, look for a second settlement. Plus similar settlements in other countries.
Plus payments to dealers for the reduction in value of VW dealerships and additional payments for vehicles that could not be sold. And eventual payouts to customers and dealers in other countries.

Oh, look! The California Air Resources Board (CARB) has figured out a new way that Audi cheated on a particular run of “several hundred thousand” of their cars!
If the steering wheel is turned more than 15 degrees, car deactivates the program and the car shifts in its normal, more pollutant fashion that burns more gas and produces more CO2. Audi figured that the only time the car would run with the steering wheel never moving would be in a lab, on a test bed. This is a similar philosophy to the classic ‘dyno mode’ cheat that kicked off Dieselgate.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Watch lazy Comcast workers cause a bunch of traffic pileups

I may be wrong, it's Comcast after all, but I predict firings and successful lawsuits.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

The prosecutor is insisting that “The charge of driving under the influence is not based upon the presence of caffeine in his system."

But it it's something else, you have to wonder if they went on a fishing expedition once the original drug tests didn't return the results they wanted.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The fishing expedition is certain, that they're sticking with the charge so far seems to be protection of a system that can't admit that it screwed up and can't face the consequences of doing so.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

FBI said to arrest VW exec, taking emissions scandal to new level

The FBI has arrested a Volkswagen executive on charges of conspiracy to defraud the United States, The New York Times reports, citing two people with knowledge of the arrest.

The move, says the Times, marks “an escalation of the criminal investigation into the automaker’s diesel emissions cheating scandal.”

CBS News has not independently confirmed the Times report. The FBI in Detroit told CBS News early Monday it doesn’t have any comment yet.

The newspaper says Oliver Schmidt, who headed Volkswagen’s U.S. regulatory compliance office from 2014 until March 2015, was taken into custody Saturday in Florida and was expected to be arraigned in Detroit Monday....

The Times says, “James Liang, a former Volkswagen engineer who worked for the company in California, pleaded guilty in September to charges that included conspiracy to defraud the federal government and violating the Clean Air Act. But Mr. Schmidt’s arrest brings the investigation into the executive ranks.” ...
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Cops are such pigs. They do the same thing in florida, but also they only drive the left lane and are either the slowest or the fastest.

I watched two of my neighbor cops troll US 98 during rush hour in their unmarked car and truck.

They got beside each other and dropped 10 mph below the speed limit. As traffic backed up in both lanes and people started tailgating, these 2 pigs would almost pass each other then close the gap before anyone could pass. After about 5 miles of this they let one car dangerously slip through and accelerate. Then they turned on the lights and pulled him over.

When cops have to obey the little laws, they will start to obey the bigger ones
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

In this case I'm cheering the cop. I hate left lane slowpokes and the cop perfectly and hilariously got him in the right lane without writing a ticket.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:In this case I'm cheering the cop. I hate left lane slowpokes and the cop perfectly and hilariously got him in the right lane without writing a ticket.

I agree, but the most consistent offenders here are the cops, military and Texans - in that order

our top state trooper even ran a commercial stating that offenders would get tickets
but the gov jebbers made him apologize

we also had volunteer left lane hogs sponsored by the Gulf Breeze police department. They would let volunteers use their police cars to ride round and round through the Gulf Islands Nat. Seashore in the left lane and below the speed limit. Finally enough people complained about the danger they were causing

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

New driver panics, loses control in Waterloo, Ont. (0:38 video)

Almost went into the pond, and had mom and little brother in the rig. :lol: Short of injury, that's really about as bad as it gets.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Good looking car. I would like to see the rear suicide door open. The rear of the door is about midway over the rear wheel.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Attachments
19060152_1541514002534979_2666718582213188044_n.jpg
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.