The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by JTA »

Janes Island State Park, MD

http://dnr2.maryland.gov/publiclands/Pa ... sland.aspx

Headed up this way Sunday after next for some Kayaking and camping on my way back home. Anyone checked it out? Looks like they have some cool water trails to kayak. Can't wait!
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Haven't been to that one, but it looks good. Let us know how it goes.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

What's the scoop on the outer banks?

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:11 am
What's the scoop on the outer banks?
Beautiful beaches, good fishing (I'm told), miserable traffic - certainly worth one trip just to see the Wright Brothers memorial. It's pretty awesome to stand on the spot where they took their first successful flight and to consider that wasn't all that long ago, relatively speaking. Hang gliding at Jockey's Ridge if you're into that. Did I mention heavy traffic?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Sounds like the Keys. I got so disgusted that I turned around before long in favor of more playtime on the mainland.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Well dang. I'm camping at Oregon Inlet campground next Saturday. I have s feeling Saturday was a bad choice. I was planning on doing some surf fishing. Looks pretty secluded where I'll be staying though. So maybe I'll be away from the mess.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:42 am
Looks pretty secluded where I'll be staying though. So maybe I'll be away from the mess.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, it shouldn't be too much problem between there and Kitty Hawk if you don't try to go any further north than that. Lady O and I took over an hour to get from Nags Head to Duck on a weekday and never did make it to Corolla. But as long as you stay within a half-hour or so of the bridge across to Manteo you should be fine. Seriously, it's worth the effort at least once, but we've got lots more favorite places than OBX.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I was thinking of venturing into nags Head to hang out at a bar for a few, but I don't see myself heading anywhere further north. Jockey ridge state park looks neat. Probably will check out Kitty hawk cuz why not.

Is it worth a drive down to cape Hatteras? I don't really care about lighthouses, to be honest.

O Really
Admiral

If you don't care about seeing the lighthouse, there's no point in taking that drive. All the sand dunes look pretty much the same. There's the quaint village of Rodanthe (as in the book), but nothing much to see. Suit yourself, but I wouldn't even think of driving the whole length of the Outer Banks to take the Okracoke ferry across. Way too much traffic, too long waits (just to get on the Hatteras ferry before getting to Okrakoke), too long ferry ride, and too long ride through the boonies to get back to Morehead City after you get off the ferry. Lot of people do it - that's part of the problem. ;) Wasn't it Yogi Berra who said, "nobody goes there because it's too crowded."

k9nanny
General

Unread post by k9nanny »

We had our honeymoon there in 1981. South of the Nags Head area, no phones, no TV, and we returned to civilization to find out Reagan had been shot.

Since then, we've always gone in October, when the bugs and people are at a minimum, and you can find stretches of beach with nary a person in sight.
No, we don't camp. House rentals are cheap off season, and we cook seafood until we're craving red meat.

Thinking of going this Fall for a week of total R&R. It's been 20 years, so things might have changed. Myrtle Beach used to be divinely deserted in October, too.
Se Non Ora, Quando?

O Really
Admiral

It may be a bit different now, but still worth the trip - if you're JTA and have never been there - or if you've got some other personal attachment. Lady O and I were there I think three years ago for about a week. Pretty much everywhere was a crowd, but we enjoyed it anyway.

JTA
Commander

Lake Lure Kayaking?

Unread post by JTA »

I was thinking about taking my kayak up to lake lure and paddling around. I don't know much about this lake despite having gone there quite a few times.

Is this allowed?
If so, are there any public launch off points?
Fishing???

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Nevermind. 25 bucks for a daily permit. Lame. Oh well I guess if you spend the whole day out there it could be neat. It's a real prettt lake.

O Really
Admiral

Lake Lure is privately owned - I think by those who own property around it. They try to keep the riffraff out. ;)

Speaking of hiking, it's a beautiful Golden day in Colorado. Lady O and I will be taking a walk on Dinosaur Ridge http://www.dinoridge.org/dinosaur-ridge-trail.html

O Really
Admiral

Today's hike...
http://www.rockymountainhikingtrails.co ... abelle.htm

Peak season for golden aspen, beautiful scenery... what is this "trump" people keep talking about?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:49 am
Lake Lure is privately owned - I think by those who own property around it. They try to keep the riffraff out. ;)

Speaking of hiking, it's a beautiful Golden day in Colorado. Lady O and I will be taking a walk on Dinosaur Ridge http://www.dinoridge.org/dinosaur-ridge-trail.html
Hit up lake lure today. Worth the 25 bucks for a daily permit. It's a real pretty lake.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Where are your favorites places in our area? Hiking, places to camp, or places you find appealing etc.

Some of mine:
- Glendale Mill ruins in Spartanburg
- The drive around Highway 11 (Cherokee Scenic Highway) from Greenville to Lake Jocassee (Oconee county in general is very pretty. This area never gets old. I'd love to have a small house out here someday)
- Chatooga River
- Travelers Rest and the assortment of breweries they have.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

DuPont State Forest

Many spots on 276 from Brevard, NC to the Blue Ridge Parkway and anywhere along it.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Favorite hikes along the blue ridge parkway, close to asheville?

O Really
Admiral

Lady O and I rode on the Katy Trail out of Rocheport, MO today.. https://mostateparks.com/park/katy-trail-state-park

High buttes overlooking the Missouri River, generally following the Lewis & Clark route.