Beer Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Beer Thread

Unread post by rstrong »

The other countries - including Canada - will have to retaliate with sanctions of their own. It won't just hurt American manufacturers by making them pay a lot more for steel and aluminum.
But home appliance maker Electrolux said it was delaying a $250 million expansion of its plant in Tennessee as it was worried U.S. steel prices would rise and make manufacturing there less competitive.
It'll also reduce their exports as the other countries are forced to retaliate with tariffs of their own.

But of course that's what any Putin-wannabe wants. A siege mentality. It gets them more support, and makes it easier to demonize thier political opponents.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:50 pm
... It'll also reduce their exports as the other countries are forced to retaliate with tariffs of their own.

But of course that's what any Putin-wannabe wants. A siege mentality. It gets them more support, and makes it easier to demonize their political opponents.
We've been here before.
Great Depression

... The decline in the U.S. economy was the factor that pulled down most other countries at first; then, internal weaknesses or strengths in each country made conditions worse or better. Frantic attempts to shore up the economies of individual nations through protectionist policies, such as the 1930 U.S. Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act and retaliatory tariffs in other countries, exacerbated the collapse in global trade.
We're really gonna need cheap beer to get through this.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:24 pm
rstrong wrote:
... It'll also reduce their exports as the other countries are forced to retaliate with tariffs of their own.

But of course that's what any Putin-wannabe wants. A siege mentality. It gets them more support, and makes it easier to demonize their political opponents.
We've been here before.
Great Depression

... The decline in the U.S. economy was the factor that pulled down most other countries at first; then, internal weaknesses or strengths in each country made conditions worse or better. Frantic attempts to shore up the economies of individual nations through protectionist policies, such as the 1930 U.S. Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act and retaliatory tariffs in other countries, exacerbated the collapse in global trade.
We're really gonna need cheap beer to get through this.
Well my friends I have just the thing you're looking for:

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

:?:
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ght#p82208
JTA wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm
... Since I've gotten older, my tastes have become more refined. Can't have any of that hillbilly garbage.

I'm now a Miller Lite connoisseur.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 pm
JTA wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

:?:
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ght#p82208
JTA wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm
... Since I've gotten older, my tastes have become more refined. Can't have any of that hillbilly garbage.

I'm now a Miller Lite connoisseur.
Miller Lite is a tab bit too refined when things get tight. Don't want to come off as pompous and out of touch with you proles, so bud lite it is.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
The other countries - including Canada - will have to retaliate with sanctions of their own. It won't just hurt American manufacturers by making them pay a lot more for steel and aluminum.

It'll also reduce their exports as the other countries are forced to retaliate with tariffs of their own.

... “We will put tariffs on Harley-Davidson, on bourbon and on blue jeans - Levi’s,” European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker told German television....
Harley-Davidson's HQ is in Ryan's district. :D
Bourbon is huge in Mitch McConnell's KY. :D
I'm not sure why Levi’s made the list. Their HQ is in San Francisco and very few of their products are made in the US.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:42 pm
rstrong wrote:

... “We will put tariffs on Harley-Davidson, on bourbon and on blue jeans - Levi’s,” European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker told German television....
I'm not sure why Levi’s made the list. Their HQ is in San Francisco and very few of their products are made in the US.
I read that back when W. tried to implement steel tarrifs, the EU responded in kind with "surgically" aimed tarrifs specifically targetting swing states Bush needed to be reelected.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

JTA wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm
Vrede too wrote:
rstrong wrote:

I read that back when W. tried to implement steel tarrifs, the EU responded in kind with "surgically" aimed tarrifs specifically targetting swing states Bush needed to be reelected.

Wish they had done a better job.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:20 pm
Miller Lite is a tab bit too refined when things get tight. Don't want to come off as pompous and out of touch with you proles, so bud lite it is.
I keep telling folks that your not just some frilly shirt, Jheri curl, pancakes on a silver platter washed down with Miller Lite, effete snob, that you remember your Bud Light roots and are really still just 'JTA from the Block'.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Pelosi's district.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Teen gets head stuck in truck's exhaust pipe, then she's cited for underage drinking, of course (with pics)

... The exhaust pipe was briefly on display at a local bar.

Ironically, the bar is called “Darwin Tavern.”
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Do we need a thread for "A Minnesota Girl"? Naaa, she probably was a Florida import.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Global warming to leave us crying in our costlier beer

Damn, staying drunk was my plan for coping with global warming.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Doctors save man by pumping 15 cans of beer into stomach

:thumbup:

Comments:
As long as it wasn’t bud light.
They said it was beer, not water.
Fraternities will have a new defense.
Help! I need to be saved too!
My Favorite Kind of Beer . FREE .
I once gave a pregnant woman a caffeine IV for a severe migraine. The MDs were nervous that other drugs would harm the baby. This was nearly 30 years ago, there are more safe drug options now.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'Magic fridge' full of cold beer found in flooded Nebraska field

... The two friends cracked open two beers, choosing from Busch Light and Bud Light, and enjoyed what some are calling a “silver lining” in the wake of the storm.

“It was a gift sent from the heavens, and we were happy to see it. But we hoped the people who lost the fridge were OK, we hoped their property was OK,” Simpson said.

A photo of their discovery was shared on Facebook, inspiring commenters to call it a “magic fridge.” Some even think it was divine intervention....
It's a spiteful god that sends you a magic fridge . . . then fills it with light beer.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

A practical god knows that regular beer would sink and that light beer in sufficient quantity will not. :angel:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D :thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This 24-year-old has raised more than $600,000 for charity — by asking for beer money on national TV
Anheuser-Busch and Venmo are matching donations to the University of Iowa children’s hospital

This is the best kind of beer buzz.

Carson King, 24, held up a sign on national TV during a University of Iowa vs. Iowa State football game last weekend asking for viewers to Venmo him cash for a case of Busch Light. He and his “Busch Light Supply Needs Replenished” sign got picked up by ESPN’s “College GameDay” broadcast on Saturday morning — and raised $400 in just an hour.

“I made the sign as a joke, and just hoped maybe a couple of people in the crowd would see the sign and maybe toss me $20 so I could get a case of Busch Light,” King, an Iowa State fan, told MarketWatch. But after raking in $600, King and his family decided to donate the windfall to the rival University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital, which is adjacent to the football field in Iowa City. (In fact, during Iowa home games, fans do the “Iowa Wave” for the kids watching the game from the hospital windows.)

King’s mom and his brother shared his fundraiser and Venmo handle (@Carson-King-25) on Facebook and Twitter — and that’s when the donations really started pouring in.

As of Friday morning, people had donated more than $200,000 to his fund. And if brewer Anheuser-Busch and Paypal-owned money-sharing app Venmo both match the donations, as they have pledged to do on Twitter, the Busch Light lover will be handing over more than $600,000 to the hospital (minus the cost of a case of Busch Light, he cracked to MarketWatch, which runs $15 or $16.) Individuals have donated as little as 25 cents, and as much as $300, he said.

... he was savvy enough to tweet at Anheuser-Busch and ask them to match the total number of donations that he collected....
Busch Beer
@BuschBeer

.@CarsonKing2 this is the best thing we have read all year, we’re inspired.

We’re going to match your donation to University of Iowa Hospitals & Clinics, and we’ll throw in some of that Busch Light you were looking for.
Venmo caught wind of the impromptu fundraiser, and offered to match the donations, as well. A company spokesperson told MarketWatch that, “We’re constantly amazed by the kindness of the Venmo community and what they’re able to achieve together, which is why we felt inspired to match the donation....
:-|| ***hic***
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”