Single hurricane thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Single hurricane thread

Unread post by O Really »

Rode down to Everglades City today to see how the clean-up is doing. It's a good thing "Seth" is a fictional character who made a pretend move to Florida. The area where he claimed his house to be was pretty much trashed. To be both fair as well as trying not to disrespect someone's home, a lot of that area was pretty much trash even before the hurricane.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:59 pm
Rode down to Everglades City today to see how the clean-up is doing. It's a good thing "Seth" is a fictional character who made a pretend move to Florida. The area where he claimed his house to be was pretty much trashed. To be both fair as well as trying not to disrespect someone's home, a lot of that area was pretty much trash even before the hurricane.

Whenever he makes it out of the shelter I hope he finds a place with internet service.
Always be yourself! Unless you can be a goat, then always be a goat.
-- the interweb, paraphrased
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It was interesting that the damage wasn't consistent, and people were living in relatively unscathed mobile homes next to a pile of total destruction. My totally made up theory is that the damage a structure got is largely dependent on whether they could keep the doors and windows sealed. If they didn't, and the wind got in, they were toast. If they did, then they only lost a few loose pieces around the outside. Or God was playing favorites. Whatever.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 am
It was interesting that the damage wasn't consistent, and people were living in relatively unscathed mobile homes next to a pile of total destruction. My totally made up theory is that the damage a structure got is largely dependent on whether they could keep the doors and windows sealed. If they didn't, and the wind got in, they were toast. If they did, then they only lost a few loose pieces around the outside. Or God was playing favorites. Whatever.
The ones with meth labs take extra precautions to protect their livelihoods. ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, there's that.
Decent idea, actually - a steel/concrete reinforced safe house wrapped in an old single-wide skin. But really, I'm not so sure the average meth-maker is all that smart.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:

Right to some extent. On Pensacola Beach before FEMA bs restrictions on everyone, most gulf front people opened all south side windows to prevent the waves from breaking windows and/or caving in the unreinforced concrete block walls.

It mostly worked. Camille and Fredrick's did destroy several buttoned up structures, but not so with the opened ones which did fill with water and sand. Simple - gut the interior and rebuild.

Still there was only so much the simply built structures could stand and most of the gulf front ones went with opal and ivan. Now the gulf front is covered with million dollar plus homes on pilings allowing the now unobstructed waves to pass through and damage the homes across the street and then those in the next block as the northside homes are rebuilt on pilings.

Funny little perk for the rich. Flood insurance doesn't cover much at grade level - garages, carports, slabs, entry foyers, elevator shafts, fences, stairs, etc and only covers a small fraction of the levels, but people still get their million dollar bank mortgages unsecured by insurance if the property is damaged.

I do exaggerate - insurance will pay $250,000 of that 3 million dollar mortgage and the rest of us pay the rest when the homeowner walks.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Smallwood store. Built 1906. On the water. Took on storm head-on. Still standing, mostly unharmed, still open.
http://www.smallwoodstore.com/

National park visitor center, about 5 miles away, big damage, still closed as of yesterday.
https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/gcdirections.htm

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

'Nothing Short of Catastrophic.' Hurricane Harvey's Toxic Impact Worse Than Publicly Reported, Records Show

This is yet another indirect subsidy to industry courtesy of "free market" con pols.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:
It was interesting that the damage wasn't consistent, and people were living in relatively unscathed mobile homes next to a pile of total destruction.
It can depend on what's upwind. It's easier to defend against 110mph wind than 110mph debris. I expect that one poorly built and disintegrating house could cause a domino effect no matter how well built the houses downwind are.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

rstrong wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:00 pm
O Really wrote:
It was interesting that the damage wasn't consistent, and people were living in relatively unscathed mobile homes next to a pile of total destruction.
It can depend on what's upwind. It's easier to defend against 110mph wind than 110mph debris. I expect that one poorly built and disintegrating house could cause a domino effect no matter how well built the houses downwind are.
Pffft, it depends on how godly the residents are.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Something in the Gulf and headed right at Pensacola. Will it be a TS, or just another one of our insane spring 16+ inch rain event.

Whatever it is, it may be headed NC's way.

Probably not much chance for further development with 77 degree Gulf wster
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 am
Something in the Gulf and headed right at Pensacola. Will it be a TS, or just another one of our insane spring 16+ inch rain event.

Yup, pouring, gonna continue into tomorrow, already about the 2nd worst flooding I've seen here. Thanks a lot.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 9:20 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 am

Yup, pouring, gonna continue into tomorrow, already about the 2nd worst flooding I've seen here. Thanks a lot.
It rained about 5 minutes yesterday. Lots of cool clouds and dirty yellow sky, but the drought continues.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Jim Cantore is in Navarre.

O Really
Admiral

Hoo boy. You're in for it now, I guess.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Worse than Cantore in Navarre, I turn on the weather channel this morning and they have Reynolds standing right in front of my Pensacola Beach house.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am
Worse than Cantore in Navarre, I turn on the weather channel this morning and they have Reynolds standing right in front of my Pensacola Beach house.
Ruh roh!!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 10:08 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:55 am
Ruh roh!!
But seriously, even with us getting the east side, it shouldn't be much more than a little wind and a bunch of rain in my area. No problem with our pure sand (I can run the hose on full and never make more than a 2 ft diameter wet spot), but could be a problem to points north and east (Alabama through the Carolinas).