The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:My brother has been using Google Earth to find abandoned quarries in the Atlanta area, then we and my nephew sneak onto them for strolls. They're pretty cool and we haven't been caught yet.
That sounds bad ass. We used to do this when I lived back in NJ and find all kinds of cool stuff like that back in the woods, minus the google maps of course since it didn't exist back then. I'm too chicken to do it around here might get shot or something. Do you ever go off the trails exploring in national forests/state parks and stuff around here? Or is that frowned upon? I've never done it myself but it seems like it would be a fun thing to do.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

JTA wrote:. Do you ever go off the trails exploring in national forests/state parks and stuff around here? Or is that frowned upon? I've never done it myself but it seems like it would be a fun thing to do.
It's frowned on only because they don't want to have to come hunt down your frozen bod when you've "fallen and can't get up." But seriously, there are thousands of trails. Stay on them (mostly)

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:. Do you ever go off the trails exploring in national forests/state parks and stuff around here? Or is that frowned upon? I've never done it myself but it seems like it would be a fun thing to do.
It's frowned on only because they don't want to have to come hunt down your frozen bod when you've "fallen and can't get up." But seriously, there are thousands of trails. Stay on them (mostly)
But how else will I find all of those buried treasures?

But seriously yeah good point. Places like where I grew up it's not as bad. If you fell of a cliff there than something weird is going on. I know out west there are some places where you can just roam around, but it's a different sort of environment.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:
JTA wrote:
I've dived and I've caved but the idea of cave diving scares the shit out of me. Hominy don't do that.
I totally agree. Plus claustrophobia.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Any cool places around Boulder CO to check out, aside from Rocky mountain national park?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:I lived outside of Denver for part of the Summer of 1976. One of my first civil disobedience acts was at the Rocky Flats Nuclear Weapons Plant in 1978. I've climbed Longs Peak, one of the more accessible 14K foot mountains. Otherwise, I can't remember particular trails. My preference is to avoid Parks if there are good wilderness alternatives, too many rules. Just head west, you can't go wrong. Remember, visit a dispensary, get on a trail, then partake, in that order. If you partake first you may never make it to the trail. ;)
Damn strait that's exactly what I have planned.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

That was an awesome vid.
A few years ago, "Mrs. O Really" and i were in a Zodiac watching whales off Cabo. There was one that just kept breaching just off the side of the boat, maybe 6-8 feet away. And I've yaked with dolphins. But I couldn't imagine being out there in a kayak among leaping whales. Like that idiot from a few weeks ago that was out in a yak fishing for sharks. Dude's out there in a tiny little not-so-stable boat that sits at water level (maybe the only boat they teach you how to handle a roll-over when you learn to paddle it), and he's tossing chum to attract sharks! Culling the herd.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Grey whales, the ones I've kayaked with, don't breach, or at least not in Bahia Magdalena in winter. Even so, when one surfaced right next to us during our sole nighttime attempt, we freaked out and sped straight to shore. I think the kayakers in the video are very lucky fools.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Alright hominies, some advice, please -

Going for an overnight camping trip, gotta pack it in. There will be no fresh water sources. How much water would you recommend packing it in. 3 Liters, maybe? Some will need to be used to cook food, maybe 3 cups tops.

Got any backpacking food recipe suggestions? Simple, light, yet yummy?

- Ramen noodles - Must have on any excursion.
- Canned chicken
- Vienna sausages
- Mashed taters
- Rice (maybe)
- Pre-cooked bacon

I'm planning to blast off into outer space that night, so a feast for the gods is a must.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

No water at all, or do you just need a good backpacking water filter?
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:No water at all, or do you just need a good backpacking water filter?
There's no fresh water sources, its on a barrier island :(

Unless you got some tips and tricks.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

No, you need an expensive and probably heavy reverse osmosis filter to turn brine into potable water.

3 liters per day is a rule of thumb, but that depends on heat, humidity and exertion, and doesn't necessarily include cooking or cleaning.

Other ideas:
The backpacking freeze dried meals have improved tremendously, but they can be costly. Grocery stores often have similar stuff without the "backpacking" surcharge.
Dried refried beans, with things to spice them up, and tortilla chips make a good meal.
Make sure it's instant rice.
Boxed mac and cheese.
Dried soup to liven up your ramen.
Either oatmeal or granola with dried fruit for breakfast.
What's the trail like? Could a wagon, cart, rolling suitcase or wheelbarrow help?
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:No, you need an expensive and probably heavy reverse osmosis filter to turn brine into potable water.

3 liters per day is a rule of thumb, but that depends on heat, humidity and exertion, and doesn't necessarily include cooking or cleaning.

Other ideas:
The backpacking freeze dried meals have improved tremendously, but they can be costly. Grocery stores often have similar stuff without the "backpacking" surcharge.
Dried refried beans, with things to spice them up, and tortilla chips make a good meal.
Make sure it's instant rice.
Boxed mac and cheese.
Dried soup to liven up your ramen.
Either oatmeal or granola with dried fruit for breakfast.
What's the trail like? Could a wagon, cart, rolling suitcase or wheelbarrow help?
It's real Sandy, so the footing will be somewhat difficult. I was thinking maybe tortillas, some cheese, avocado, can of chicken would be good idea. Cheese ought to last as its not gonna be that hot.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede, O'Reilly, you guys ever sleep in hammocks vs. a tent when you go on camping trips? Been thinking about getting an eagles nest (?) hammock to use instead of a tent.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Rarely, I'm usually with a friend without a hammock so might as well use the tent. Haven't decided with the upcoming Okefenokee trip. Can't advise you on brands, mine's mickey moused.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:Rarely, I'm usually with a friend without a hammock so might as well use the tent. Haven't decided with the upcoming Okefenokee trip. Can't advise you on brands, mine's mickey moused.
I've never really used one. Seems like it would be ideal though. I usually bring an inflatable pad with me, so all in all it'd be a lot less bs i have to carry.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Definitely lighter, more hassle when dressing or dealing with gear in the rain.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:Definitely lighter, more hassle when dressing or dealing with gear in the rain.
True. Right now I've got a kelty Grand mesa 2 tent. It's about 4 lbs so a little on the heavy side, but it's super comfortable, plenty of space, and still a reasonable weight and size if you wanna pack it in for a couple days.