Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Race, lets make this serious! It is nearly 2013.

Unread post by Vrede too »

rstrong wrote:
rstrong wrote:The ONE remarkable thing in the story above about the cop indicted for murdering a black man, isn't the murder. It's the possibility that the cop will face justice. And it would not have happened if there were only police video and other police witnesses. Or even civilian witnesses, their word against the police. Cell phone video made it happen.

Funny how these cases all started at the same time that everyone started walking around with the ability to capture video, plus the ability through YouTube and social media to share it. Must be a coincidence.
BTW, the original Black Panther Party was set up for protection against police brutality. Of course in the 1960s, police and other authorities insisted that no such protection was needed.
That was when white cons, notably Reagan, strongly pushed gun control and knew that it was perfectly constitutional to do so.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Why is it that we're suddenly having a barrage of white cops shooting Blacks or white cops man-handling Blacks?

In the most recent incident, the cursing cop threw the 14 year old girl on the ground after the video showed her sauntering around after being told to disburse. Also, the video didn't show the girl cursing the cop (according to a news report) which elevated the tenseness of the situation. I'm not defending the cop by any means; he should have shown some professional restraint. Then, according to the girl, it was a "racial" thing.
I say bull to that; it was racial, but in reverse, because according to what I saw in the video, the Black kids defied the police's demands.

It appears that Blacks are testing the limits of what cops can or will do, often with grave consequences. Cops, as stated above, should have a high degree of professionalism and restraint, but they are human too, with human emotions and dispositional faults.

It's going to be a long hot summer ....

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:Why is it that we're suddenly having a barrage of white cops shooting Blacks or white cops man-handling Blacks?
And why did the barrage start at the same time that everyone started walking around with the ability to capture video, plus the ability through YouTube and social media to share it? What a weird coincidence!

Look, the McKinney police shouldn't be tarred and feathered for the actions of Cpl. Casebolt. But the fact is - caught on video - Casebolt was acting as a psychotic thug. NO professionalism, NO restraint, waving a gun at kids. "Only human" doesn't excuse it.

Even the white kids say it was racial, quoting parents flinging racial insults.

As for "not disbursing", this was a 13-year-old girl, in a bikini, at a pool party. Was there a ride home waiting for her? Was she cut off from her clothing / bus fare / etc. by police?

I'm reminded of the Baltimore riot just a few weeks ago. When the local school let out that afternoon, police acting on a rumor were already in the area equipped with full riot gear. While ordering the students to disburse, they shut down the local subway stop and buses that students needed to get home. That is, they did not allow the normal after-school crowd to disperse. And then the police marched on them. The POLICE created the crowd, and created the riot.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:
Mr.B wrote:Why is it that we're suddenly having a barrage of white cops shooting Blacks or white cops man-handling Blacks?
And why did the barrage start at the same time that everyone started walking around with the ability to capture video, plus the ability through YouTube and social media to share it? What a weird coincidence!
It didn't start at the "same time".

People have been videoing something to post on social media for years; from scratching their butts to outing anyone in their view finder. Going back to my original question and coupling your reply comes to this conclusion .... I believe cops are being challenged just to have something to post on social media sites. Take a look at the majority of these videos on YouTube et al; then read the comments. There you'll find some of the most vulgar, hateful comments and attitudes directed at law enforcement....and yes, being human DOES play a BIG part in attitudes; we're not programmed robots with no emotions. I bet you've NEVER lost your temper ... ?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:People have been videoing something to post on social media for years; from scratching their butts to outing anyone in their view finder.
Most people didn't carry camcorders while going about their daily business. Until just a few years ago - which is when this started - most outside the upper middle class and above had feature phones rather than anything that could shoot decent video. Even the first three iPhone generations didn't shoot video.
Mr.B wrote:I believe cops are being challenged just to have something to post on social media sites.
I believe you're completely out of touch with reality.
Mr.B wrote:Take a look at the majority of these videos on YouTube et al; then read the comments. There you'll find some of the most vulgar, hateful comments and attitudes directed at law enforcement
Hatred begets hatred. A violent thug attacking a 13-year-old girl in a bikini is going to attract those comments. A cop shooting a man in the back as he runs away is going to attract those comments. A group of cops executing a man on suspicion of selling untaxed tobacco is going to attract those comments.

Funny how you're concerned with the comments, rather than the violence they respond to.
Mr.B wrote:and yes, being human DOES play a BIG part in attitudes; we're not programmed robots with no emotions. I bet you've NEVER lost your temper ... ?
You've lost your temper, attacked a 13-year-old girl in a bikini, and pointed a gun at other children? Or anything on that scale?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yes, anyone can screw up, but with greater authority and specialized tools comes greater responsibility and accountability.

I don't know if it was racial but a coworker of mine, older than me and a conservative Republican, tells the story of our former Henderson County Sheriff Davis, before he was Sheriff and before we all learned that he was a power mad nutcase, let loose with pepper spray on a restrained patient in Pardee's ER, causing great suffering among patients and staff - in an ER where patients are already on the edge respiration-wise, with all the tactics cops have available to them!!! He was going to do it again, but a tiny female nurse told him she'd break his arm if he tried.
Last edited by Vrede too on Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I think there's a difference in something being understandable or explainable vs. being acceptable or forgivable. Taking the Abu Gahrib (sp) people, for example. Put somebody in a position of absolute power, let (insist) them de-humanize their captives, add some general frustration and anger and it's pretty predictable that somebody is going over the edge. Doesn't make it right, or something to which we should just say "oh well."

Police officers have a duty to the public, and most get extensive training on how to deal with threatening, dangerous, and "chaotic" situations. The fact that one might understand how an officer could come un-hinged doesn't mean he should stay on the force or shouldn't be prosecuted for unlawful actions taken.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

There's also an issue anyone a decade ago could see coming: A lot of soldiers - after a tour or three in Iraq or Afghanistan - would end up in police forces once they get home.

But while patrolling Kandahar or Mosul they (often with good reason) treated everyone around them as an potential enemy who could kill them at any moment. With the language and culture barrier, there'd be very little interaction other than at gunpoint. The same goes with the Blackwater crowd, which earned a reputation for opening fire on anyone going about their regular business who got too close or got in their way.

Imagine people going through that for years. Now imagine them shortly after, put on American streets with a different uniform and gun. It can't always end well.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

The McKinney, TX cop (the video shows other cops behaving more rationally and even interacting positively with the kids) was a former MP.

The only good news about the McKinney pool party is the white kids’ response to racism

An image from Monday evening's protests in McKinney shows white teens protesting the police department's conduct.

Not that a white version of events should be taken as being any more credible than what the black youth are saying. If you think it is, you're part of the problem.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:
An image from Monday evening's protests in McKinney shows white teens protesting the police department's conduct.
:?: Three white kids; one Black kid protesting ..... the "affected" ones are walking away.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Mr.B wrote: :?: Three white kids; one Black kid protesting ..... the "affected" ones are walking away.
Well, I had to look because I expected something stupid deflecting from the point of the article and pic, and I was correct. This is clearly a march - the caption says, "from Monday evening's protests" - and 4 of the marchers, perhaps ones with better signs, stopped momentarily for the pic.
1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote: :?: Three white kids; one Black kid protesting ..... the "affected" ones are walking away.
I just *KNEW* you would find some goddamned stupid way to misrepresent the picture. And that you wouldn't have the moral courage to read an article that might contradict your little hate-based worldview.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote:
Mr.B wrote:People have been videoing something to post on social media for years; from scratching their butts to outing anyone in their view finder.
Most people didn't carry camcorders while going about their daily business. Until just a few years ago - which is when this started - most outside the upper middle class and above had feature phones rather than anything that could shoot decent video. Even the first three iPhone generations didn't shoot video.
Camcorders? I have an older flip-phone that I've had for years that records video ... not super-quality, but it shoots video.
Mr.B wrote:I believe cops are being challenged just to have something to post on social media sites.
I believe you're completely out of touch with reality.
No sir ... if you don't believe cops aren't taunted, you're the one wearing blinders; seeing only what you want to see.
Mr.B wrote:Take a look at the majority of these videos on YouTube et al; then read the comments. There you'll find some of the most vulgar, hateful comments and attitudes directed at law enforcement
Hatred begets hatred. A violent thug attacking a 13-year-old girl in a bikini is going to attract those comments. A cop shooting a man in the back as he runs away is going to attract those comments. A group of cops executing a man on suspicion of selling untaxed tobacco is going to attract those comments.
Those are most recent events. The vulgarity and hatred has long been in place on YT and other sites; even if a cop was in the video helping someone.

Funny how you're concerned with the comments, rather than the violence they respond to.
Funny how you could only zero in on that portion of my comment without any real forethought.
Mr.B wrote:and yes, being human DOES play a BIG part in attitudes; we're not programmed robots with no emotions. I bet you've NEVER lost your temper ... ?
You've lost your temper, attacked a 13-year-old girl in a bikini, and pointed a gun at other children? Or anything on that scale?
Dodo .... Did I say I had? Did you read where I had? I said nothing about bikinis or guns; I asked YOU a simple question ... have you (as a human with human emotions) not ever lost your temper? If that question was too hard for you, I'll go back and type it a little slower so you can understand.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

Funny how the right wingers, on this site and others, keep falling for fake
quotes, as they have so often in the past. You'd think they'd be a little
more careful and double check this stuff instead of doubling down on it.

It's tough for the police now. There are cameras everywhere nowadays.
They just can't get away with backshooting and beating the crap out of
people like they used to, though the license to kill still seems to work
fairly well.

No misspelled words on the signs. The kids are all right. :thumbup:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Have you met Kernel Failure? :D
1312. ETTD.

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

Yep. He was the one who made me think of the fake quotes.
He posted that Sanger one in two threads. Students, always
review your work. :)

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I know, I was remarking on your surprise. ;)

1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:I think there's a difference in something being understandable or explainable vs. being acceptable or forgivable. Taking the Abu Gahrib (sp) people, for example. Put somebody in a position of absolute power, let (insist) them de-humanize their captives, add some general frustration and anger and it's pretty predictable that somebody is going over the edge. Doesn't make it right, or something to which we should just say "oh well."

Police officers have a duty to the public, and most get extensive training on how to deal with threatening, dangerous, and "chaotic" situations. The fact that one might understand how an officer could come un-hinged doesn't mean he should stay on the force or shouldn't be prosecuted for unlawful actions taken.

Have you ever heard of the Stanford Prison Experiment? I'm sure you have. Crazy what a little bit of power can do to some people.

When I was a kid, My dad's off duty cop friend came over. Our dog started barking at him. Mind you, this asshole was in our yard. A rather large yard too, way far away from the road in a rural area. Us kids were swimming in the pool next thing we know this cocksucker has his gun pulled on our dog threatening that he's going to shoot it if we don't restrain it. The dog was real old and was literally just standing there non-chalantly barking at the guy probably wagging his tail like he always did. Me and my siblings were around 8-12 years old at the time probably.

Power.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

JTA wrote:

Have you ever heard of the Stanford Prison Experiment? I'm sure you have. Crazy what a little bit of power can do to some people.

Yes, and there have been other studies like the one where students were given dial sort of thing supposedly set up to shock somebody else (unseen)
Here's one version... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milgram_experiment