2020 Elections

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: 2020 Elections

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:26 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:01 pm
I find that I am becoming more cynical lately; I am totally in agreement with the need for a grassroots movement and the attendant financing it would entail but if you have to go up against the drug companies, oil companies, foreign interests, etc......it's a hard nut to crack. I think the biggest problem is getting voters to actually realize what's in their own interests, which is hard to do when you have rabid conservative media saturation coupled with the general ignorance of the voting public (especially older voters) and also the typical dismal turnout when it matters. Cynical as it may be, money talks; everything else walks.
Can't argue with that, but I think Bernie's niche is what it is. He'd be less successful if he went the dark money route. People like him exactly because he's lived his principles.

One could argue, not that I'm doing so yet, that any Dem nominee will beat POSPOTUS, VP Q-tip or any Repug in 2020. IF SO, all a Dem has to do is win the primaries and caucuses, whatever strategy accomplishes that. Then, s/he just has to not commit suicide in the general.
Well, it's strange times these days.....I honestly think Trump is going to have some kind of meltdown before he's up for re election. I was reading the other day that Kasich is thinking of getting into the mix; he was the only one of the 2016 clown car that made any sense to me. As for Bernie, I think he's too far left to get enough of the votes he needs to get; the rabid right has pretty successfully demonized him in the minds of the "poorly educated" and it's easier to convince a thousand people with emotion than it is to convince one man with reason....I forgot who said that but it's pretty famous. I intend to vote for whoever the Dem happens to be. Just not convinced Bernie can pull it off. I will certainly vote for him if he's the one they pick, though.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Interesting Froma Harrop columnn on Bernie ...
https://www.creators.com/read/froma-har ... s-its-over

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:19 am
Interesting Froma Harrop columnn on Bernie ...
https://www.creators.com/read/froma-har ... s-its-over
Interesting. I do think that his ideas have more support now than they did when he first came out with his platform....not sure how much Trump has to do with that......typical politician voting on the F-35 though. I think the F-35 is made at General Dynamics which is based in CT unless they have a facility in VT as well; don't know.

O Really
Admiral

Dunno about that particular plane, but Vermont does have an aerospace industry...
https://www.thinkvermont.com/2018/04/26 ... ed-growth/

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:23 pm
Dunno about that particular plane, but Vermont does have an aerospace industry...
https://www.thinkvermont.com/2018/04/26 ... ed-growth/
I'm not sure about the plane either; back when I worked for Newport News Shipbuilding in the 80's and 90;s I used to have to deal with engineering documents from General Dynamics Electric Boat Division; they were our competitors in building 688 class submarines; we had no competitors in building aircraft carriers and they have none to this day.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Boeing nominates former U.N. ambassador Haley to join its board

Might be a reach but this suggests to me that she won't be running for anything in 2020. Not sure about the nation, but the GOP is worse off for it.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:28 pm
Boeing nominates former U.N. ambassador Haley to join its board

Might be a reach but this suggests to me that she won't be running for anything in 2020. Not sure about the nation, but the GOP is worse off for it.
She was/is about as decent as you're going to get out of any Republican anymore. But she's wearing the taint of Trump, and that's one smell that never goes away.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:38 pm
She was/is about as decent as you're going to get out of any Republican anymore. But she's wearing the taint of Trump, and that's one smell that never goes away.
It might have mostly gone away if she ran against him, but maybe that was always too crazy an idea.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:38 pm
It might have mostly gone away if she ran against him, but maybe that was always too crazy an idea.
Well, right now, if she were running in SC, she probably would still be OK. But by 2020, a lot of the international shit she and Trump did will clearly be through the fan. Lot of BMW and Michelin workers in SC, lot of farmers, too, as well as people who like to make money on tourism, including foreigners. the UN, NATO and the EU all look pretty good if you have Putin rattling his nuclear sabres. And Trump/Haley screwed with it all.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Pinion, O Really?

With a focus on climate change, Washington Gov. Inslee enters 2020 presidential race

I have a good impression, but know very little about him.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:40 am
O Pinion, O Really?

With a focus on climate change, Washington Gov. Inslee enters 2020 presidential race

I have a good impression, but know very little about him.
Inslee has a pretty good record and more experience than one might think. Starting in WA legislature, several terms in Congress, now two terms as Guv. Decent approval rating - better in western WA than eastern, of course. On the good side of most progressive issues. I'd wonder how he's going to get the national name recognition and attention necessary to have a chance at getting the nomination, though. Nobody east of Denver knows that "Washington" is also a state, or knows anything about it except for drinking coffee while watching salmon tossing, and maybe home to some old musicians. To be sure, Bill Clinton had some of those problems, too (Arkan-where?) but he was waaaay more personable and entertaining than Inslee. He's scandal-free as far as I know, but I'm sure the Republicans could find some dirt if he got the nomination. Probably got caught being hypocritical about the environment by putting re-cycle refuse into a garbage can. I'd count him as above the average for candidates, but I don't know if he has enough star-power sparkle.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Thanks.
O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:12 am
... better in western WA than eastern, of course....
Isn't everything?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:36 am
Thanks.
O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:12 am
... better in western WA than eastern, of course....
Isn't everything?
Culture, yes. Politics, yes. The congressional rep in the Spokane area is a certified loon, worthy of election in SC and probably even MS. Scenery, except for the Palouse, yes. Outdoor activities, mostly. Weather, traffic, and cost of housing - not so much.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:49 am
Culture, yes. Politics, yes. The congressional rep in the Spokane area is a certified loon, worthy of election in SC and probably even MS. Scenery, except for the Palouse, yes. Outdoor activities, mostly. Weather, traffic, and cost of housing - not so much.
:D I'll give you "traffic, and cost of housing," though they're both a direct result of W WA being better, but E WA can be bitter cold or scorching hot, often not an improvement over tepid rain.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

More on Inslee - including a preview of what the Repugs will say...

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-ne ... Subscriber

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Petition to Democratic National Committee Chairman Tom Perez:

"FOX News is a hate-spewing propaganda network that shills for the Republican Party. Do not legitimize it with a 2020 Democratic presidential debate."
Not signed, though I might in the future. One could argue that it's like taking a dump in your bad neighbor's yard.

Or so I've heard. ;)
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Everybody is going along on the assumption that the 2020 Repug candidate will be Trump or, if he's dead (literally or figuratively) maybe Pence. Here's a scary thought - what if they ran somebody who wasn't drooling bat-shit crazy. Somebody who could support the Trump "principles" like improved border security without the crazed antagonism. Somebody who could say that it is the government's job to do what is in the best interest of the US, but to do it without alienating our allies. Somebody who would say that tax reform is good, but must be structured in a way to benefit all citizens....etc. Somebody who could appease most of the Trumpers, but who didn't add fuel to the divisiveness fire. Somebody well-spoken and personable, and who perhaps speaks Spanish. I don't know that there is such a person in the Republican party, but if there is, Dems could be in trouble.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:01 pm
Everybody is going along on the assumption that the 2020 Repug candidate will be Trump or, if he's dead (literally or figuratively) maybe Pence. Here's a scary thought - what if they ran somebody who wasn't drooling bat-shit crazy. Somebody who could support the Trump "principles" like improved border security without the crazed antagonism. Somebody who could say that it is the government's job to do what is in the best interest of the US, but to do it without alienating our allies. Somebody who would say that tax reform is good, but must be structured in a way to benefit all citizens....etc. Somebody who could appease most of the Trumpers, but who didn't add fuel to the divisiveness fire. Somebody well-spoken and personable, and who perhaps speaks Spanish. I don't know that there is such a person in the Republican party, but if there is, Dems could be in trouble.
It's an interesting question - which are people more enthusiastic about, the POSPOTUS cult of personality or Repug principles? Idk.

Fwiw, I still don't think that POSPOTUS will run, and I doubt that VP Q-tip would win the GOP nomination.
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

My money's still on:

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.