The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

JTA wrote:Pics or it didn't happen.
Elaborate fiction?

We'll see, I've always preferred living in the moment. Brother took some iPhone ones after drenching his camera. If they're good pics and I can figure out the whole Imgur, not sharing metadata thing, I'll try. May be awhile, work stretch and still catching back up with stuff.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Stumbled on this, wasn't looking for it:
FWC: Trenton girl killed, family members injured in sturgeon strike on Suwannee River

Jul 3, 2015

A 5-year-old girl was killed and her mother and brother were injured by a leaping sturgeon while boating with their family on the Suwannee River. The encounter happened Thursday evening at 8:47 p.m.

Jaylon Rippy, DOB 11/16/2009, from Trenton, died after a sturgeon struck her and her family near Fanning Springs by Joe Anderson boat ramp. Her mother, Tanya Faye Rippy, DOB 10/3/1983, and her brother, Trevor Rippy, DOB 2/15/2006, both from Trenton, were also injured.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the family at this time,” said Maj. Andy Krause, regional commander at the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) in Lake City. “This is a terrible tragedy.”

This is the first fatality that has been recorded from a sturgeon strike on the Suwannee River. Other boaters have been injured from the jumping sturgeon in the past. Four people have been injured this year, including two people injured today by at sturgeon strike on the Santa Fe River....
We put in at the Joe Anderson boat ramp. There's a large, homemade memorial placard to her there. We wondered how fast her boat was traveling and whether one could get smacked that hard by a sturgeon at canoeing speed.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

They're baaaack... http://www.wuft.org/news/2016/04/08/jum ... -suwannee/

"The fish — which average about 5 feet in length and 40 pounds in weight — are known for their ability to jump more than 7 feet out of the water, Karen Parker, a spokeswoman for the Florida Wildlife Conservation Commission, told WUFT."

So the kid that got killed was only five. She wouldn't have had to be going all that fast if she got hit head-on or hit her head when she fell. But getting hit with 40 pounds of anything can certainly smart, no matter how big you are.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

We saw some fish jump, of course, but nothing that big or that high.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Lady O Really and I were paddling in Mobbly Bayou (Tampa Bay area) a couple of years ago and ran into a big school of jumping Mullet. Biggest maybe a foot and a half - none jumped into the boats. But they were jumping all around us. Could have pretty much caught them in a net, or even a grocery bag.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Oh man, smoked mullet is a rarity these days. I lived in Sarasota in the 70s and 80s, back when there were mom and pop fisherman were still around. Soooo good, makes my mouth water just thinking about em.

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Video idea: Set up a camp stove with a deep frying pan on a canoe, wait for a mullet to land in it.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:Video idea: Set up a camp stove with a deep frying pan on a canoe, wait for a mullet to land in it.
Hot grease and burning propane on a canoe...what could possibly go wrong with that? But it does sound exactly like something the bubbas would do. Afterwards, at the wake, the story would begin, "we wuz all sitting around drinking Bud Lite..." :lol: :lol:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:Lady O Really and I were paddling in Mobbly Bayou (Tampa Bay area) a couple of years ago and ran into a big school of jumping Mullet. Biggest maybe a foot and a half - none jumped into the boats. But they were jumping all around us. Could have pretty much caught them in a net, or even a grocery bag.
they were jumping because something bigger was under them

can still get smoked mullet around here, but the days are gone when there would be a box with a couple dozen at the check-out of rural gas stations

smoking at home is easy enough
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I didn't mean a deep *fat fryer*, just a frying pan with sides so the fish couldn't easily flop out before you put a lid on it. If billy.pilgrim knows of a small enough smoker with a top lid, that will work, too. :D
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
JTA wrote:
Vrede too wrote:... Day paddle (had always planned on it) to Cedar Hammock and Mizzell Prarie, sand hill cranes. Brother dropped his camera in the water, went swimming for it ("Don't tell the wife!"), found it but first found a nice, still working, heavy duty flashlight. Score. Haven't asked whether the camera survived yet....
Pics or it didn't happen.
Elaborate fiction?

We'll see, I've always preferred living in the moment. Brother took some iPhone ones after drenching his camera. If they're good pics and I can figure out the whole Imgur, not sharing metadata thing, I'll try. May be awhile, work stretch and still catching back up with stuff.
The camera works absolutely fine. Most of the pictures that I took are from my iPhone. I haven't sorted through the pictures yet, but I will eventually get around to it.
Immediate removal of the battery and data card. Rice "bath" for a day or more as soon as we got back to camp.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote: Immediate removal of the battery and data card. Rice "bath" for a day or more as soon as we got back to camp.
Lady O Really dropped her Nikon into the drink at Turks and Caicos a few years ago. Shallow water, retrieved, and data card removed. Looked like it was going to work, but died forever. Now she carries only the certified waterproof (water resistant) Galaxy S5, and carries it in double freezer bags.

Which reminds me of how much stuff mobiles have replaced or are replacing. Separate cameras (except for high dollar stuff with multiple lenses); separate GPS and car nav; compasses and pedometers; paper maps; stopping to ask the pump jockey for directions (as if there are any pump jockeys anymore outside of NJ); and on and on...

But what I haven't found yet is a really good comprehensive trail guide app for state and national parks. There are some that cover some parks, but are limited. There are some websites with good trail maps and descriptions, like http://www.hikewnc.info/trails/dupont-state-forest/ but what I'd like to see is basically Google maps satellite with the trails highlighted.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Salt water is much worse.

He even has a waterproof camera but didn't bring it because he likes the one he couldn't use after the first 2 hours on the water more. :problem:
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Yo... Why didn't you guys tell me Florida was fuckng hot and had swarms of mosquitos?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:Yo... Why didn't you guys tell me Florida was fuckng hot and had swarms of mosquitos?
You didn't ask?
Other than that, how's your trip going?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

I figure it's safest to just humor someone that says he's going to vacation in south FL in May . . . while I slowly back away. :crazy:
I thought early April was pushing it in north FL/south GA, but that was the only time that family and a friend synced. It was good, but I wouldn't have wanted it any hotter.

It's 44 here right now. :wtf:
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
JTA wrote:Yo... Why didn't you guys tell me Florida was fuckng hot and had swarms of mosquitos?
You didn't ask?
Other than that, how's your trip going?
It's actually really nice right now. Cayo Costa state park. Chilling on my hammock.

Man... I saw the weirdest thing last night. Heard something in the bushes and it was this bald squirrel looking thing with a shell or something. Wtf?? Never saw one before.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Armadillo?
1312. ETTD.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Mosquitos are nothing compared to the yellow flies in Florida.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Vrede too wrote:Armadillo?
AKA possum on the half shell.

:mrgreen: