Dumb headlines thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Dumb headlines thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:53 pm

Far out, I think it's really groovy that you're rapping about what a bummer it is that (mostly) youth lexicon evolves, daddy-o. :P "Slams"? We've always said that.

Not my point. I don't care about the use of slang. I'm annoyed about the overuse of lame cliched expressions in the coverage of manufactured meaningless conflicts.

I could come up with an irritant list from business, such as "paradigm change" "out of the box" 'low hanging fruit" "end of the day" "circle back"

And did you ever notice that every weather person, no matter where you are, throws in "as well" at least 3-4 times during their two-minute act?

Yeah, I know - sometimes I'm a wannabe Andy Rooney.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Sounds like this is working up to be a real win win discussion.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 11:56 pm
Not always "dumb" headlines, but here's some words/phrases I'm sick and tired of:

"Reach out" when you mean "speak to"
"Slams"
"Clapped back"
"Threw shade"
"Opened up"

There's more, but that was just in the past hour or so.
Threw shade? Not so sure we do that around here.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:59 pm
Threw shade? Not so sure we do that around here.
Throw shade

To say a rude or slick comment towards another person with little or no one else catching the insult except who it was directed towards.

Or:

to talk trash about a friend or aquaintance, to publicly denounce or disrespect. When throwing shade it's immediately obvious to on-lookers that the thrower, and not the throwee, is the bitcy, uncool one

Or:

To hate on someone for acting a fool.

I've seen it used mostly as a subtle, though not hidden, clever insult. We don't hold it against mature folks like you to not know its meaning. :wave:
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

(Not so) Dumb headlines thread

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Here's what the headline click-bait says...

CELEBRITY GOSSIP
Jerry Hall and Her Family Are United in the Fight Against Equal Rights

Here's what the article says...

Jerry Hall and Her Family Are United in the Fight for Equal Rights

The supermodel and actress has teamed up with her daughters, Lizzy and Georgia May Jagger, to support the Equal Rights Amendment. Here, she opens up to her close friend Carinthia West about feminism, staying on good terms with her ex Mick Jagger, and life with Rupert Murdoch.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 pm
Here's what the headline click-bait says...

CELEBRITY GOSSIP
Jerry Hall and Her Family Are United in the Fight Against Equal Rights

Here's what the article says...

Jerry Hall and Her Family Are United in the Fight for Equal Rights

The supermodel and actress has teamed up with her daughters, Lizzy and Georgia May Jagger, to support the Equal Rights Amendment. Here, she opens up to her close friend Carinthia West about feminism, staying on good terms with her ex Mick Jagger...
:D Harper's BAZAAR has since made the correction.
https://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity ... view-2019/
and life with Rupert Murdoch.
The confusion was understandable.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeppers. How in Hell can the same person be marriedish to Mick Jagger for 20-something years and then marry Rupert Murdoch? Anyway, ironically, I probably wouldn't have clicked on the headline if it had been correct. But getting the whole family working against equal rights seemed unusual enough to look at.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:13 pm
Yeppers. How in Hell can the same person be marriedish to Mick Jagger for 20-something years and then marry Rupert Murdoch? ...
A net worth of $360 million to a net worth of $13 billion was a step up? One old man is pretty much the same as another?

More seriously, there were 16 years between Mick and Rupert. Things can change in that much time. Plus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Jagg ... ilanthropy
Jagger has stated his support of the British Conservative Party, and expressed his admiration of Margaret Thatcher.... In August 2014, Jagger was one of 200 public figures who were signatories to a letter to The Guardian opposing Scottish independence in the run-up to September's referendum on that issue. Jagger was a supporter of David Cameron and was mildly in favour of Brexit, before reversing his stance on it.
Politically, Murdoch-lite.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:01 pm
O Really wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:13 pm
Yeppers. How in Hell can the same person be marriedish to Mick Jagger for 20-something years and then marry Rupert Murdoch? ...
A net worth of $360 million to a net worth of $13 billion was a step up? One old man is pretty much the same as another?

More seriously, there were 16 years between Mick and Rupert. Things can change in that much time. Plus:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mick_Jagg ... ilanthropy
Jagger has stated his support of the British Conservative Party, and expressed his admiration of Margaret Thatcher.... In August 2014, Jagger was one of 200 public figures who were signatories to a letter to The Guardian opposing Scottish independence in the run-up to September's referendum on that issue. Jagger was a supporter of David Cameron and was mildly in favour of Brexit, before reversing his stance on it.
Politically, Murdoch-lite.
Well, Mick did write a song "My Sweet Neocon" which is not exactly in the Murdoch vein. Besides, isn't Murdoch a Scot? Maybe Mick don't want him to be free. Or maybe Mick is having nostalgia about the "kingdom" not being one anymore. Who knows? And I never thought Hall was very attractive.
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rolling ... eocon.html
song lyrics above

O Really
Admiral

Murdoch's empire is a muck-raking scum-sucking bunch of slime, but who knows what he's like when the cameras are off. Certainly possible he could be laughing his ass off at the rubes who believe all his organization's rubbish.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:56 pm
Well, Mick did write a song "My Sweet Neocon" which is not exactly in the Murdoch vein. Besides, isn't Murdoch a Scot? Maybe Mick don't want him to be free. Or maybe Mick is having nostalgia about the "kingdom" not being one anymore. Who knows?
https://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/rolling ... eocon.html
song lyrics above
Murdoch was Australian, naturalized American since 1985. Not sure where they're living, they were married in London.

Traditional cons and libertarians don't think much of neocons, not sure which Murdoch is.
And I never thought Hall was very attractive.
Ditto.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Hunter Biden has baby in Arkansas; when I saw this I said "damn, I never knew he was pregnant" but then realized this is the result of being paid for things you know nothing about. After that, I was ok.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/joe ... 08619.html

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Susan Sarandon Posts Shocking Pics of Her Bruised Face Following a Concussion

Entertainment Tonight needs a better headline writer. The fall caused the facial swelling, bruising and fracture. They were not caused by the concussion. The fall caused that, too.
Argentinian Woman Discovers Pet Kitten She Rescued Is Actually a Puma After Visit to the Vet

... After getting in contact with the Horco Molle nature reserve, it was confirmed that Tito was actually a jaguarundi, a type of small wild cat that’s native to North and South America.

Jaguarundis, whose full scientific name is puma yagouaroundi, are just slightly larger in size than regular cats, typically weighing between 8-16 lbs., according to the Texas Parks & Wildlife’s website....
No, People, even if it's scientific name is puma yagouaroundi, that is not a puma.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: UnDumb headlines thread

Otoh, some headlines are brilliant:

Russian's flaming BMW doused by poo truck

You can't have 'BMW' without the 'BM'. (typed before seeing something similar in the comments, honest)

Comments:
Was at a stop light one time and on the back of a purple septic tank truck it had in big letters. "Yesterdays meals on wheels!" Kind of killed the appetite for the rest of the day! lol
There goes the new car smell
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A prominent British lawyer went viral after he killed a fox with a baseball bat while wearing his wife's kimono, and now animal services are investigating

I'm as fierce a defender of wildlife as anyone, but if I caught a fox wielding a baseball bat while wearing my wife's kimono I think I would kill it, too.

Comments:
Baseball bat against fox, that ain't cricket
Is the fact that an Anglo Caucasian was wearing a kimono considered cultural appropriation? Does this imply he is a crossdresser? Inquiring minds want to know!
Normally, lawyers restrict themselves to beating clients' bank accounts with a bat.
:P
They have baseball bats in England?
What did the fox say to deserve that?
:lol:
Beating a fox with a baseball bat while wearing his wife's kimono, then boasting about it on the internet... is this guy originally from Florida?
:P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

No telling what tragically happened here with so little info., but someone needs to tell the Faux Noise headline writer that "cardiac arrest" does NOT mean "heart attack".

Girl dies of heart attack on plane leaving LAX, report says

In fact, that should have happened sometime in the last "22 hours".
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Somebody might have checked this one again:

"NJ schools to start LGBTQ lessons"
Really?

The pilot sites to be announced by the state – including schools in Hackensack, Morristown, Newark and Asbury Park – are intended to be proving grounds for new lessons in history, economics and even grammar designed to improve awareness of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender contributions and issues. The instruction, approved by the state last year, will be a requirement for all of New Jersey’s public schools starting in the fall.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Here's a dumb headline; "Trump Says Something That Makes Sense; Does Nothing Illegal in Two Days."

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

The trump tweetometer now says "Happy National Law Enforcement Appreciation Day!" and is liked by 68,843 cult members and gullible fools. I guess they don't realize the tweet is from a raccoon eyed moron and pathological liar that breaks the law on a daily basis. But they appreciate it.