Evil Obamacare

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Wneglia
Midshipman

Re: Evil Obamacare

Unread post by Wneglia »

Supsalemgr wrote:I went to my internist this morning and he told me he was retiring at the end of the year. He shared the hassle and red tape is bad enough now. Then with the cuts in Medicare payments to doctors and what he would to deal with Obamacare made it almost impossible to continue his practice. Being in Hendersonville, it is clear he has a large senior patient load. He also said the days are numbered where we will have internists. A sad state of affairs and we have not begun to see the ultimate effects of this program.
Not just internists, but family practitioners as well. No one wants to go into primary care because of the low reimbursement, the hassles, and the competition from nurse practitioners who are setting up their own offices and practicing independently.

:mrgreen:

Supsalemgr
Major

Unread post by Supsalemgr »

Wneglia wrote:
Supsalemgr wrote:I went to my internist this morning and he told me he was retiring at the end of the year. He shared the hassle and red tape is bad enough now. Then with the cuts in Medicare payments to doctors and what he would to deal with Obamacare made it almost impossible to continue his practice. Being in Hendersonville, it is clear he has a large senior patient load. He also said the days are numbered where we will have internists. A sad state of affairs and we have not begun to see the ultimate effects of this program.
Not just internists, but family practitioners as well. No one wants to go into primary care because of the low reimbursement, the hassles, and the competition from nurse practitioners who are setting up their own offices and practicing independently.

Thanks Doc. He is a family practitioner and he said just about exactly what you just posted.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Questions:
1. what percentage of total patients are Medicare/Medicaid patients (nationally, not just in any given practice)?

2. Why aren't physicians universally demanding a higher Medicare tax rate and subsequent higher payments?

3. Why is it that Medicare doesn't pay about the same for a given procedure as a typical private insurance plan?

4. Why aren't we howling about that?

5. Why is insurance in itself a boogeyman? Isn't buying insurance a rational and common thing to do to protect oneself against severe financial loss, whether that potential loss be property, malpractice charges, or medical care? And don't insurance markets and products develop to meet demands?

O Really
Admiral

Why is development of an insurance exchange such a big deal? Isn't it basically a data management and presentation issue? Why don't they all copy the one that's been working the longest (MA) https://www.mahealthconnector.org/portal/site/connector or Utah even.

Why didn't the idiots in the Senate go along with the House proposal :o that the exchange should be national?

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

O Really wrote:Questions:
1. what percentage of total patients are Medicare/Medicaid patients (nationally, not just in any given practice)?

2. Why aren't physicians universally demanding a higher Medicare tax rate and subsequent higher payments?

3. Why is it that Medicare doesn't pay about the same for a given procedure as a typical private insurance plan?

4. Why aren't we howling about that?

5. Why is insurance in itself a boogeyman? Isn't buying insurance a rational and common thing to do to protect oneself against severe financial loss, whether that potential loss be property, malpractice charges, or medical care? And don't insurance markets and products develop to meet demands?
O Really wrote:Why is development of an insurance exchange such a big deal? Isn't it basically a data management and presentation issue? Why don't they all copy the one that's been working the longest (MA) https://www.mahealthconnector.org/portal/site/connector or Utah even.

Why didn't the idiots in the Senate go along with the House proposal :o that the exchange should be national?
All very good questions, counselor ... I certainly don't have the answers but I'm interested in them.

Thanks. Image

O Really
Admiral

Proposed regulations out: http://www.healthcare.gov/

Good analysis/summary by Kaiser, here... http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/201 ... rules.html

I looked for the part about death panels and government takeover, but I couldn't find it. :roll:

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:Proposed regulations out: http://www.healthcare.gov/

Good analysis/summary by Kaiser, here... http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/201 ... rules.html

I looked for the part about death panels and government takeover, but I couldn't find it. :roll:

only palin and homerphob are allowed to see the hidden word. obama's hypno powers bounce off them - I believe it has something to do with a brain shield
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Yeah, billy. Something like this:

;)

Stinger
Sub-Lieutenant

Unread post by Stinger »

O Really wrote:Why is development of an insurance exchange such a big deal? Isn't it basically a data management and presentation issue? Why don't they all copy the one that's been working the longest (MA) https://www.mahealthconnector.org/portal/site/connector or Utah even.

I remember one thing. Maybe.

Ever noticed how so many credit cards come from Sioux Falls, South Dakota?

That's because the South Dakota wrote the most industry-friendly laws for credit card companies. If they're based in South Dakota, they can rip you off more easily, and you have less recourse under South Dakota law. The interest rates are higher and the fine print is much finer in South Dakota.

States regulate the insurance sold in their states. If you open that up to a nationwide insurance exchange, you will indeed be able to buy an inferior product at a lower price.

Some state -- South Dakota, maybe -- will pass laws more favorable to the insurance industry, and then all the insurance companies will move their bases to that state. Lots of jobs, probably covered by better insurance policies than the ones they'll be selling.

That's my understanding of how the insurance exchanges could misfire. Maybe federal regulation would prevent some of the watered-down coverage.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

mike wrote:Yeah, billy. Something like this:

;)
Don't forget the kitty! :lol:

mike
Lieutenant Colonel

Unread post by mike »

Whew! Image

Thanks, Doc! Image

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Stinger wrote:Some state -- South Dakota, maybe -- will pass laws more favorable to the insurance industry, and then all the insurance companies will move their bases to that state. Lots of jobs, probably covered by better insurance policies than the ones they'll be selling.
Another example: All U-Haul trucks here in Canada have Arizona license plates.

U-Haul trucks are notorious for unrepaired mechanical failures making them death-traps. But an Arizona license plate on a truck is like having a Liberian-flagged tanker ship; it absolves them of accountability. Any time the police order a U-Haul truck off the road, U-Haul sends out a new set of plates and puts it back on the road.

Wneglia
Midshipman

Unread post by Wneglia »

Click Pic

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Wneglia wrote:Image
Click Pic

I'm missing your point wiggly.

while true that the college is going to put a specific cap on the hours worked by temp and part time employees, these were temp and part time employees with employer coverage before the affordable health care act about the only thing that changed is temp employees will be limited to 25 hrs per week - it's a temp job

another right wing mountain out of a molehill
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Mountain out of molehill, indeed.
Take Obamacare out of the picture. Most employer health insurance polices set a minimum limit on weekly work schedule for eligibility. The most common number is 30 hours. Employers in turn set policies on eligibility, and define for their own purposes the meaning of "full-time" "part-time" and "temporary." In my experience, it is very rare for any employer to offer benefits to those employees they have defined as "temporary." Most don't offer benefits to those they define as "part-time."

"Obamacare" is just the latest of a long line of scapegoats employers will use to do what they want to do anyway.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

Dear Mr. President:

During my shift in the Emergency Room last night, I had the pleasure of evaluating a patient whose smile revealed an expensive Shiny gold tooth, whose body was adorned with a wide assortment of elaborate and costly tattoos, who wore a very expensive
Brand of tennis shoes and who chatted on a new cellular telephone equipped with a popular R&B ringtone.

While glancing over her Patient chart, I happened to notice that her payer status was listed as "Medicaid"! During my examination of her, the patient informed me that she smokes more than one costly pack of cigarettes every day and somehow still has money to buy pretzels and beer.

And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care?

I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.

It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.

Respectfully,
STARNER JONES, MD

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Colonel Taylor wrote:And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care?

I contend that our nation's "health care crisis" is not the result of a shortage of quality hospitals, doctors or nurses. Rather, it is the result of a "crisis of culture", a culture in which it is perfectly acceptable to spend money on luxuries and vices while refusing to take care of one's self or, heaven forbid, purchase health insurance.

It is a culture based on the irresponsible credo that "I can do whatever I want to because someone else will always take care of me". Once you fix this "culture crisis" that rewards irresponsibility and dependency, you'll be amazed at how quickly our nation's health care difficulties will disappear.
Why ask the President? Why not ask the Republicans in Congress? **They** are the ones who have spent the last three years protecting the "culture crisis" where people don't have to purchase health insurance.

The Republicans had an alternative, right up until Obama adopted it. "ObamaCare", the Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act (H.R. 676) :

a) Mirrors the RomneyCare plan.

b) Which was lauded by candidate John McCain.

c) Is very similar to a proposal made to candidate McCain by the Health Insurance lobby.

d) Is very similar to the Republican alternative to ClintonCare - the Republican's Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993.

e) Mirrors Bob Dole's plan from the 1990s.

If McCain had won the election he would have put forth the same plan. The press would have have labelled it "McCainCare", and the same Republicans who oppose it would instead endorse it. It was the solution for everything you're whining about.

You want everyone to have insurance? "Obamacare's" individual mandate - now reviled by Republicans as unconstitutional - does that. It was Republican policy for 15 years until the very moment Obama adopted it. But don't take my word for it; let Newt Gingrich explain it, and why it solves your problem, starting at 4:40.

The Republicans had a solution for your problem. Obama adopted it. What more do you want? Why do Republicans now insist on keeping the problem you describe?

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Have to love the way the forum follower jumped right in and edited the post to make it look like I wrote the piece. Liberals are awesome entertainment for a group of buffoons.
Now go ahead and follow the vred twist and lie and deny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Oh and the jest of the piece is accurate, you libs really have to get out into the world and see what goes on. Life does not start and end with your keyboard muscles. :crazy:

rstrong wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:And, you and our Congress expect me to pay for this woman's health care?

Why ask the President? Why not ask the Republicans in Congress? **They** are the ones who have spent the last three years protecting the "culture crisis" where people don't have to purchase health insurance.

The Republicans had an alternative, right up until Obama adopted it. "ObamaCare", the Expanded and Improved Medicare for All Act (H.R. 676) :

a) Mirrors the RomneyCare plan.

b) Which was lauded by candidate John McCain.

c) Is very similar to a proposal made to candidate McCain by the Health Insurance lobby.

d) Is very similar to the Republican alternative to ClintonCare - the Republican's Health Equity and Access Reform Today Act of 1993.

e) Mirrors Bob Dole's plan from the 1990s.

If McCain had won the election he would have put forth the same plan. The press would have have labelled it "McCainCare", and the same Republicans who oppose it would instead endorse it. It was the solution for everything you're whining about.

You want everyone to have insurance? "Obamacare's" individual mandate - now reviled by Republicans as unconstitutional - does that. It was Republican policy for 15 years until the very moment Obama adopted it. But don't take my word for it; let Newt Gingrich explain it, and why it solves your problem, starting at 4:40.

The Republicans had a solution for your problem. Obama adopted it. What more do you want? Why do Republicans now insist on keeping the problem you describe?

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Colonel Taylor wrote:Have to love the way the forum follower jumped right in and edited the post to make it look like I wrote the piece.
Quoting mistake. Big deal. It's still your post, and you would not have posted it if you didn't share the moronic little fantasy it contained.

Have to love the way you focused on that, rather than the content. But then posting easily debunked bs and then running away is all you know how to do.
Colonel Taylor wrote:Oh and the jest of the piece is accurate,
The jest of the piece is partisan bs to be shovelled at people too goddamned stupid to realize that it's 15 years of Republican healthcare policy they mindlessly object to, and that the Republicans STILL haven't come up with a credible alternative.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

rstrong wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:Have to love the way the forum follower jumped right in and edited the post to make it look like I wrote the piece.
Quoting mistake. Big deal. It's still your post, and you would not have posted it if you didn't share the moronic little fantasy it contained.

Have to love the way you focused on that, rather than the content. But then posting easily debunked bs and then running away is all you know how to do.
Colonel Taylor wrote:Oh and the jest of the piece is accurate,
The jest of the piece is partisan bs to be shovelled at people too goddamned stupid to realize that it's 15 years of Republican healthcare policy they mindlessly object to, and that the Republicans STILL haven't come up with a credible alternative.
Have to love the way when libs get cornered they revert to either name calling or cursing like school yard children. The jest is still correct and at least you admit you can care less that you are a follower of the forum editors. Says a lot about you!
As far as a plan you pay your own way or if you choose not to have ins. you pay your own bills. I know responsibility is foreign to you so have at it. :crazy: