The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by O Really »

King of the oo? I didn't know we had a king...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/926b0579-5 ... 3deaf0c8ef

How appropriate for today. RIP Terry Jones.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

A leftist wrote: a raccoon eyed anus mouth

I thought billy's rodent character did a good job in Guardians of the Galaxy.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 5:01 pm
King of the oo? I didn't know we had a king...

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/926b0579-5 ... 3deaf0c8ef

How appropriate for today. RIP Terry Jones.
:-|| RIP
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Buck and the Preacher (1972)

Buck and the Preacher is a 1972 American Western film released by Columbia Pictures, written by Ernest Kinoy and directed by Sidney Poitier. Poitier also stars in the film alongside Harry Belafonte and Ruby Dee.

This is the first film Sidney Poitier directed. Vincent Canby of The New York Times said Poitier "showed a talent for easy, unguarded, rambunctious humor missing from his more stately movies".

This film broke Hollywood Western traditions by casting black actors as central characters and portraying both tension and solidarity between African Americans and Native Americans in the late 19th century. The notable blues musicians Sonny Terry, Brownie McGhee, and Don Frank Brooks performed in the film's soundtrack, composed by jazz great Benny Carter.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:14 pm
A leftist wrote: a raccoon eyed anus mouth

I thought billy's rodent character did a good job in Guardians of the Galaxy.
:lol: Cultist. A cultist will take a statement that a non cultist makes and present that statement to others in a totally out of context fashion that has no relevance to what the original statement was about. A fine example of this is the "baby killer" scam. Last year a couple of states had proposed legislation that would allow medical officials to terminate "non viable" fetuses before birth. The termination could occur at any time before actual birth, even the day before birth. Cultists seize on the "baby killer" theme because it fits their agenda. I suppose forcing non viable fetuses to be born and suffer as long as possible before dying must also be part of their agenda for some reason. But that's how a cultist rolls. It would be like me having a sound and video of a cultist at a big cookout and once the turkey or roast or whatever is finally done and looks delicious, I capture the cultist saying "All right, let's cut that baby up." Though the cultist is actually talking about the turkey or roast, I, as a cultist, would use that statement in a misleading way to advance fear, advance hate, and push my agenda. Cultist :lol:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:43 am
:lol: Cultist. A cultist will take a statement that a non cultist makes and present that statement to others in a totally out of context fashion that has no relevance to what the original statement was about. A fine example of this is the "baby killer" scam. Last year a couple of states had proposed legislation that would allow medical officials to terminate "non viable" fetuses before birth. The termination could occur at any time before actual birth, even the day before birth. Cultists seize on the "baby killer" theme because it fits their agenda. I suppose forcing non viable fetuses to be born and suffer as long as possible before dying must also be part of their agenda for some reason. But that's how a cultist rolls. It would be like me having a sound and video of a cultist at a big cookout and once the turkey or roast or whatever is finally done and looks delicious, I capture the cultist saying "All right, let's cut that baby up." Though the cultist is actually talking about the turkey or roast, I, as a cultist, would use that statement in a misleading way to advance fear, advance hate, and push my agenda. Cultist :lol:
:?: :?: :?: Why is this confusing for 1 FAT CAN?

"billy's rodent character":

Raccoons aren't rodents, but we all already know that slacker 1 FAT CAN sucks at biology, easy investigations and basic elementary school knowledge.

Rocket Raccoon - "Guardians of the Galaxy":

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:56 pm
An example of one of these morons has a post just above this one. Clueless cultist :lol:

I can tell them apart. I guess I'm not a clueless cultist.
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Jan 26, 2020 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

neoplacebo wrote:
The termination could occur at any time before actual birth, even the day before birth.
The leftist parents took the time to plan for this child, even took the child to full term. Some doctor says the child will be born with special needs. The leftists say they can't deal with that, kill it.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Cultist. Bullshit. Wrong. Willfully ignorant.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:07 am
neoplacebo wrote:
The termination could occur at any time before actual birth, even the day before birth.
The leftist parents took the time to plan for this child, even took the child to full term. Some doctor says the child will be born with special needs. The leftists say they can't deal with that, kill it.
After going full term. Doctor - "The child may live a year, with treatment maybe several years. Or, I can help end the process now if you like."

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Good scene.
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 am
"billy's rodent character"

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Don't fuck with Rocket.

:D Guardians Of The Galaxy, TNT tonight.
1312. ETTD.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Another Rocket scene.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Otoh, this IS a rodent:

1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

So once again, we get collectively abused over #OscarSoWhite, lamenting the number of black nominees/winners. Okfine - I'm not a supporter of racial or gender discrimination or exclusion, but why don't any of the articles state who they'd rather have seen win instead of who did? Was there a black performer this year who deserved the award more than Joaquin Phoenix or Renee Zellweger or Brad Pitt or Laura Dern? Maybe there were - so let's hear them and why they deserved it more.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:23 pm
So once again, we get collectively abused over #OscarSoWhite, lamenting the number of black nominees/winners. Okfine - I'm not a supporter of racial or gender discrimination or exclusion, but why don't any of the articles state who they'd rather have seen win instead of who did? Was there a black performer this year who deserved the award more than Joaquin Phoenix or Renee Zellweger or Brad Pitt or Laura Dern? Maybe there were - so let's hear them and why they deserved it more.
I don't see enough films in theaters to opine, but there was also some lamenting of #OscarSoMale when it comes to directors.

Steve Martin and Chris Rock Welcome Everyone to Oscars 2020

They discuss the lack of "vaginas" at 3:15 and the lack of black nominees at 3:50. They mention Harriet, but without saying what it should have been nominated for besides Best Actress and Best Original Song. Kasi Lemmons is its screenwriter and director.

Natalie Portman brought a list:

Natalie Portman’s Oscars cape honors the women directors the Academy ignored
There were no female nominees in the Best Director category this year.

Then, she was a Best Director presenter. :o
Link
:---P

Of course, the racial criticism was somewhat tempered by South Korea's Parasite winning Best Picture, Best Director and Best Original Screenplay along with Best International Feature Film.

It's not just the Oscars:

Rebel Wilson steals the show with HILARIOUS unexpected BAFTA 2020 speech - BBC

No females and no fe ... lines!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Oscars are, to a large extent, subjective judgement, and frequently we've read articles about "what won and what should have won." Sometimes critical acclaim is weighted; sometimes artistic value; maybe sometimes box office - whatever. But it gets tiresome to hear there should be more blacks/women yada and not set forth an argument for who should have won it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 6:49 pm
Oscars are, to a large extent, subjective judgement, and frequently we've read articles about "what won and what should have won." Sometimes critical acclaim is weighted; sometimes artistic value; maybe sometimes box office - whatever. But it gets tiresome to hear there should be more blacks/women yada and not set forth an argument for who should have won it.
Not going to post about #OscarSoWhite since nonwhites ultimately did well.

Otoh:
#OscarsSoMale: How the Industry Can Elevate Female Filmmakers

Jennifer Lee, Frozen II
Lorene Scafaria, Hustlers
Melina Matsoukas, Queen & Slim
Greta Gerwig, Little Women
Lulu Wang, The Farewell
Chinonye Chukwu, Clemency
Kasi Lemmons, Harriet
Marielle Heller, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood

"None of these powerful films mentioned above merited one single nomination for best film or director? I don´t get it."

Again, not my opinion but folks are thinking about alternatives.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Wow. Now I get what all the buzz was about. It deserved all of those awards. There must have been a half dozen or more plot twists that surprised me but did not feel cheap and made sense once they happened.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:37 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:23 am
Hidden Figures

Excellent acting all around. I liked the casting of perennial sweet girl Kirsten Dunst as a (mostly) racist bitch.

Movie: :thumbup:

Real life Black women mathematicians of NASA: :-|| :-|| :-||
'Hidden Figures' NASA women to receive Congressional Gold Medals

:clap: :clap: :clap:
👍👍
Katherine Johnson, mathematician and real-life subject of 'Hidden Figures,' dies at 101

President Barack Obama presents Katherine G. Johnson with the Presidential Medal of Freedom during the 2015 Presidential Medal Of Freedom Ceremony at the White House, Nov. 24, 2015, in Washington.

RIP
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.