Idiot box thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: Idiot box thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:08 am
"Dog and cock fighting with gambling are ugly organized, sub-cultural phenomena. They're not the same thing as torture of animals for its own sake by sick individuals."

Good point, and agreed. But you still have to be pretty cruel-hearted to participate.
Based on the doc and everything else he's done since the bust, I think Vick would be the first to agree with you.

Trivia:

It was 2020 first-time SB winning coach Andy Reid that gave Vick his redemption opportunity with the Eagles.

It's claimed that Vick redefined the position of QB and at the end the doc played clips of different sportscasters comparing Patrick Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Russell Wilson to Vick.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
"Dog and cock fighting with gambling are ugly organized, sub-cultural phenomena. They're not the same thing as torture of animals for its own sake by sick individuals."

Good point, and agreed. But you still have to be pretty cruel-hearted to participate.
That's a distinction without a whole lot of difference.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

GoCubsGo wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 12:50 am
O Really wrote:

I agree. To me, there's not much difference between me personally torturing an animal or having another animal torture an animal due to my own instigation for amusement or gambling purposes. In either case, a human or group of humans derive a perverted pleasure from the deliberate infliction of pain and suffering. If I ever come upon a group of dogs watching two other dogs fight and placing bets on the outcome I will change my opinion on this. But I figure that's about as likely as trump going through 24 hours and not lying about something.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:56 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
I agree. To me, there's not much difference between me personally torturing an animal or having another animal torture an animal due to my own instigation for amusement or gambling purposes. In either case, a human or group of humans derive a perverted pleasure from the deliberate infliction of pain and suffering. If I ever come upon a group of dogs watching two other dogs fight and placing bets on the outcome I will change my opinion on this. But I figure that's about as likely as trump going through 24 hours and not lying about something.
As a predictor of serial killing and other extreme anti-social behavior, I THINK there is a difference. We correctly don't see the warrior as being the same as the mass shooter or terrorist, even though their actions are overtly the same. Or, would it be correct for a vegan/vegetarian to say that our abhorrence for dog fighting while being meat eaters is “a distinction without a whole lot of difference”?

That said, and I meant to include this in my first reply to O Really but forgot, the dogs probably wouldn’t see much difference.

In the 2 hours the doc devoted to the raid and aftermath it did a good job of airing all perspectives. For example, is it better or worse that the NFL has allowed killers of humans, as O Really mentions, to continue playing or return to playing?

After initially lying, once he decided to plead guilty it doesn’t sound like Vick ever blamed anyone other than himself, even as others debated cultural, racial, policing, fairness, proportionality and other factors.
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:59 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 3:56 am
GoCubsGo wrote:
As a predictor of serial killing and other extreme anti-social behavior, I THINK there is a difference. We correctly don't see the warrior as being the same as the mass shooter or terrorist, even though their actions are overtly the same. Or, would it be correct for a vegan/vegetarian to say that our abhorrence for dog fighting while being meat eaters is “a distinction without a whole lot of difference”?

That said, and I meant to include this in my first reply to O Really but forgot, the dogs probably wouldn’t see much difference.

In the 2 hours the doc devoted to the raid and aftermath it did a good job of airing all perspectives. For example, is it better or worse that the NFL has allowed killers of humans, as O Really mentions, to continue playing or return to playing?

After initially lying, once he decided to plead guilty it doesn’t sound like Vick ever blamed anyone other than himself, even as others debated cultural, racial, policing, fairness, proportionality and other factors.
I did not factor into my post anything relative to serial killers or anti social behavior. There may be psychiatric theoretical parallels between animal abuse and serial killers, but I figure there are several other "theories" that could also be applied to establishing a link between those things such as sexual abuse or being the victim of it or setting things on fire just for the hell of it or half a dozen other theories. To me, dog and or cock fighting is just a spectator event that appeals to those of lower intelligence, rednecks, or those who have been exposed to it growing up. The guy in India who was killed by his own rooster likely had been relying on that bird for some or even a good portion of his income. In his case, practical concern overrode moral concern. As for Vick, if I'm not mistaken he had a facility in which he was raising dogs for the sole purpose of fighting them. He may have been to dog fights as a child or may have grown up in a neighborhood in which you have to fight to establish your own integrity. Early exposure to pretty much anything will tend to imprint in someone a different perspective than what others would consider "normal" whether that exposure was to hunting, car racing, fishing, or anything else. This phenomena can also occur later in life as evidenced by the current state of the Republican party and how they've normalized ignorance, arrogance, and lying. Most of us recognize that sort of thing as "bad" but THEY don't see it that way. Same with the dog and cock fighting; if you don't think there's anything wrong with it, you're absolved of your perceived guilt by others who do see something wrong with it.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:13 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:42 pm

Survivor has been on for 40 years! :crazy:
40 seasons. About 20 years.
(Secret confession on an anonymous internet forum. I'm a fan.)
I've been a fan since the first season. 2-3 seasons in, I gave serious consideration to trying to get on the show, but that didn't last. Some seasons have been better than others, but few have been duds.
I'm a little geeked up for tonight, been reading a lot of pre game press. It's being hyped as the best season ever, they even had a "red carpet" premier event in LA on Monday.

Hope it comes close to the hype!
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 12:19 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:09 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:13 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:51 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:42 pm

Survivor has been on for 40 years! :crazy:
40 seasons. About 20 years.
(Secret confession on an anonymous internet forum. I'm a fan.)
I've been a fan since the first season. 2-3 seasons in, I gave serious consideration to trying to get on the show, but that didn't last. Some seasons have been better than others, but few have been duds.
I'm a little geeked up for tonight, been reading a lot of pre game press. It's being hyped as the best season ever, they even had a "red carpet" premier event in LA on Monday.

Hope it comes close to the hype!
Hey OReally,

If you want to geek out a little before the show.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Thanks!
Problem out here is that by the time the show comes on at a "normal" 8:00pm, it's really already been over for two hours, so I have to avoid accidentally seeing the results online. I used to like "Big Brother" too, although the last couple of seasons has been pretty weak. Last time, though, I would just read the summary then decide if anything of interest happened and then watch it.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:34 pm
Thanks!
Problem out here is that by the time the show comes on at a "normal" 8:00pm, it's really already been over for two hours, so I have to avoid accidentally seeing the results online. I used to like "Big Brother" too, although the last couple of seasons has been pretty weak. Last time, though, I would just read the summary then decide if anything of interest happened and then watch it.
Thx for reminding me. I'll wait on posting until after 11.

O Really
Admiral

Not that surprising, but I'm sorry they got Amber so soon. I wish they'd get rid of Tony soon, though. He was obnoxious in his other trip, maybe more so this one.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:17 am
Not that surprising, but I'm sorry they got Amber so soon. I wish they'd get rid of Tony soon, though. He was obnoxious in his other trip, maybe more so this one.
Yeah, I'd have liked to her to have a chance to play also. My girl Kim had to play from the bottom for the first time, that was different. Thought she handled it pretty well.

Tony doesn't appear to be as stupid as his last outing, but the game is still young. Boston Rob has his bully on, that won't work long. He still seems to be a challenge beast, albeit a fat one.

Not feeling the love for the Edge.

O Really
Admiral

There wasn't going to be a better time to get rid of Rob than they had on that first vote. He and Parvati will be formidable - until they're not. Can't wear the biggest target and last forever. Interesting that in the discussions shown, nobody even mentioned Parvati to go.

So far, I like the fire token bit.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

This is the kind of misinformation people share on Facebook without giving it a second thought.

It's obviously fake. The website "newspress" doesn't even work.

But people blindly accept these things as fact, share it, and it continues to spread.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Maybe this thread should be re named "The 1 CAT FAN" box thread. This is the kind of stupid shit that pseudo Christian dilettante seizes on and then squawks and quacks about. Hilarious.

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Unread post by 1 CAT FAN »

Walking Dead Zombie Pelosi gave her leftist constituents souvenir pens commemorating the occasion that accomplished nothing.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:56 pm
Walking Dead Zombie Pelosi gave her leftist constituents souvenir pens commemorating the occasion that accomplished nothing.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "My party has gone batshit crazy." Lindsey Graham 2-26-16 Billions of dollars have been spent, squandered, and burned but, alas, Lindsey's party is still batshit crazy and coming up on the four year mark since Lindsey was able to recognize it. :lol: :lol:

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

"The best thing for the American people is to end this crap as quickly as possible, to have a trial in the Senate, bipartisan acquittal of the president. And on Feb. 4, when the president comes into the House chamber to deliver the State of the Union, he will have been acquitted by the Senate." said Lindsey Graham.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

1 CAT FAN wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:20 pm
"The best thing for the American people is to end this crap as quickly as possible, to have a trial in the Senate, bipartisan acquittal of the president. And on Feb. 4, when the president comes into the House chamber to deliver the State of the Union, he will have been acquitted by the Senate." said Lindsey Graham.
Richard Nixon became subject to impeachment the day he failed to answer a Congressional subpoena. --- Lindsey Graham. :lol:

1 CAT FAN
Ensign

Were you still wearing a diaper then as well as now, porch shitter.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:00 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: "My party has gone batshit crazy." Lindsey Graham 2-26-16 Billions of dollars have been spent, squandered, and burned but, alas, Lindsey's party is still batshit crazy and coming up on the four year mark since Lindsey was able to recognize it. :lol: :lol:
Wow, that's really stupid and desperate of 1 FAT CAN. No one ever thought that the Senate Repugs would be anything other than unpatriotic, complicit, ovine cowards. We won't know what was "accomplished" until Nov 3.
1312. ETTD.