The Religion Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Mr.B
A bad person.

Re: The Religion Thread

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:
Mr.B wrote: "The Christian that has accepted Christ does not concern him/herself with worldly practices.
"Essentially everything in the practice of the Christian religion (as well as the others) are all "worldly practices." Not exactly the worldly practices I meant. The Bible teaches " be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. (Romans 12:2)" Simply put, "worldly practices" mean idol worship, lust, love for wealth and fame, etc.

"You don't get to do unworldly practices until you've died."
??? :lol:

"Rituals, ranging from baptism to communion, to rules on drinking, Lent, whatever, are all worldly practices,
most of which have little if anything to do with the afterlife."
Rules are hardly rituals; and you're correct, the other 'practices' have nothing to do with living in the 'afterlife'; rather they are a prelude to one's entry into the 'afterlife' by one's obedience to God and one's attitude towards others.

I heard it put like this once ... "My old friend Richard died the other day; his obituary read '1935 - 2017' , the 1935 was the year he was born, and 2017 was the year he died. The 'dash' in the middle was his life, and the intimate information stored in that little dash was known only to him and God." That little dash determines one's entry into Heaven ... or Hell.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Mr.B wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:"Very poor answer."
Since you didn't like my first answer, I'll have to admit that I, nor anyone else for that matter knows the exact age in millions or billions.

I know what you would have loved for me to say, but I'm not naive´ or radically conservative.

Much better answer. Thamks. Shows some basic scientific understanding.

Any thoughts on fundies demanding full payment from taxpayers, atheists and scientists way above their own meagar tax contribution to subsidize their 6,000 year man and prehistoric animals lived together beliefs.

Only answer if you want to
I appreciate the other answer.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Many radical or ultra-conservatives are adamant about the earth being 6,000 years old ... that's foolish, because of the overwhelming proof of age determination of past earthly events. (BTW, Global warming/cooling are past Earthly events)

MY opinion is that the historical events recorded in the Bible go back approximately 6,000 years ... the Bible begins with "In the beginning, God..." It doesn't say, "Last week, (or yesterday) God..." Therefore, a time frame is not mentioned ... because the writer doesn't know.
He knows WHAT occurred because of Divine Inspiration.
billy.pilgrim wrote:"Any thoughts on fundies demanding full payment from taxpayers, atheists and scientists way above their own meagar tax contribution to subsidize their 6,000 year man and prehistoric animals lived together beliefs. Only answer if you want to"
I'm not certain I know what you're talking about ... enlighten me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

We do know for an undeniable fact that the Earth's age is billions, not "millions".
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Mr.B wrote:Many radical or ultra-conservatives are adamant about the earth being 6,000 years old ... that's foolish, because of the overwhelming proof of age determination of past earthly events. (BTW, Global warming/cooling are past Earthly events)

MY opinion is that the historical events recorded in the Bible go back approximately 6,000 years ... the Bible begins with "In the beginning, God..." It doesn't say, "Last week, (or yesterday) God..." Therefore, a time frame is not mentioned ... because the writer doesn't know.
He knows WHAT occurred because of Divine Inspiration.
billy.pilgrim wrote:"Any thoughts on fundies demanding full payment from taxpayers, atheists and scientists way above their own meagar tax contribution to subsidize their 6,000 year man and prehistoric animals lived together beliefs. Only answer if you want to"
I'm not certain I know what you're talking about ... enlighten me.
in my tea bag state we pay to private schools and Moms who teach crazy shit the full price that the state pays for educating a kid in public schools. This comes to about $5,000/ per kid. Easy enough for fundie Moms to set up a fundie school - 6 or 8 kids provides a great income for any group. Toss in another 20 or 30 thousand for sovereign citizen foster kids work farms (think Bundy) and these people can produce $100,000/year easy.

never mind that the taxes are paid by all citizens for the betterment of our citizens - believer and atheist alike must support all the old tales found in the bible as the absolute undisputable word of some god

trump loves it and the idiot he installed to destroy the dept of education will attempt this all over the country

we had one sorta real voucher school a few years back where the teachers were paid less than half of a beginning teacher's salary and the principal/owner paid herself about a half million a year - no oversight, zero accountability

are you enlightened
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:"We do know for an undeniable fact that the Earth's age is billions, not "millions".
Millions, billions ----- what's few million among friends, Mr. Condescending Narcissist ?

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

billy.pilgrim wrote:"are you enlightened"
Not really. I see the ranting of a home-schooling/Christian hater; one who despises the fact that home-schoolers receive federal money for their kid's education --- never mind that those home-schooling Christian parents also pay taxes that support public schools that teach what they don't want their kids to hear. It's a two-way street, billy.

As far as the Secretary of Education; I can't speak for or against her; I know nothing about her; nor does she even interest me.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Yep, forcing all of us to pay for Christian madrassas to "teach" easily disproven fairy tales and thus create substandard citizens as science rapidly advances. The NC GOP has really pushed vouchers.
billy.pilgrim wrote:Any thoughts on fundies demanding full payment from taxpayers, atheists and scientists way above their own meager tax contribution to subsidize their 6,000 year man and prehistoric animals lived together beliefs. Only answer if you want to
I thought you were talking about:

More Baloney From Ken Ham (KY's Noah's Ark)

More taxpayer subsidies for indoctrination in nonsense.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:"Yep, forcing all of us to pay for Christian madrassas to "teach" easily disproven fairy tales and thus create substandard citizens as science rapidly advances. The NC GOP has really pushed vouchers."
As well as forcing all of us to pay for heathen ideologies taught in public schools; teaching that subversive life styles are the norm; encouraging pre-marital sex by handing out condoms, that human life began with Vrede's ancestry (a slime ball that took to walking) ...etc.

"Sub-standard citizens" ... ? Why Vrede..! You never told us you were home-schooled! Maybe this article will make you feel a little better about your tarnished up-bringing --- 5Year-old home-schooled, sub-standard child will go to the National Spelling Bee in Washington, DC

"The five-year-old champ beat out fifty-three students ranging from ages five to fourteen to win her region."

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I, along with probably a majority of US citizens, consider "home schooling" to be an inferior means of education. Not that it has to be, nor that it is inferior in every case, but without some reasonable oversight, there's no way to tell if it's good or not. And why would we care? Because it's in the best interest of the country that people receive a decent education. Because uneducated people are more likely to end up on those evil "welfare" programs and more likely to end up in the overcrowded prisons. And because providing an education is in most state Constitutions.

So a parent who is well-educated her/himself, who understands teaching and learning concepts, and who has the time and resources to do in-home education complemented by online or in-school programs can certainly do it.

But just because you're a parent - even a good one - doesn't mean you can be a good educator. Just because you can drive doesn't mean you're the best choice to teach your teenager. Or just because you were the star of your high school team doesn't make you a coach. So with no certificate or basic training required to home-school, no verification of curriculum, no requirement to meet consistent standards, etc., it might just be "home-staying."

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:I, along with probably a majority of US citizens, consider "home schooling" to be an inferior means of education. Not that it has to be, nor that it is inferior in every case, but without some reasonable oversight, there's no way to tell if it's good or not. And why would we care? Because it's in the best interest of the country that people receive a decent education. Because uneducated people are more likely to end up on those evil "welfare" programs and more likely to end up in the overcrowded prisons. And because providing an education is in most state Constitutions.

So a parent who is well-educated her/himself, who understands teaching and learning concepts, and who has the time and resources to do in-home education complemented by online or in-school programs can certainly do it.

But just because you're a parent - even a good one - doesn't mean you can be a good educator. Just because you can drive doesn't mean you're the best choice to teach your teenager. Or just because you were the star of your high school team doesn't make you a coach. So with no certificate or basic training required to home-school, no verification of curriculum, no requirement to meet consistent standards, etc., it might just be "home-staying."

These so called teachers live off of taxpayer money and take away from legitimately trained teachers and the facilities they use.
I have no problem with some flat earth idiot not having to pay school taxes if they want to teach their kids nonsense but don't ask the country to pay for it.
These people are far closer to welfare queens than someone buying a steak with food stamps.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:... But just because you're a parent - even a good one - doesn't mean you can be a good educator. Just because you can drive doesn't mean you're the best choice to teach your teenager. Or just because you were the star of your high school team doesn't make you a coach....
Just because you're a Christian doesn't mean you're competent to teach religion.
Vrede too wrote:
Are you smarter than an atheist? A religious quiz

Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right....
All else equal, you would want an atheist or agnostic to teach religion if you want an educated child.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote: All else equal, you would want an atheist or agnostic to teach religion if you want an educated child.
Ah, but here lies the rub. Many don't want an educated child. They want an indoctrinated child.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Even so, all else equal an atheist or agnostic will deliver more accurate information about Christianity or other religions. Funny that.
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

O Really wrote:"I, along with probably a majority of US citizens, consider "home schooling" to be an inferior means of education."
Most atheists, free-thinkers, "gays", and "gay" advocates feel the same way because the majority of parents involved in home-schooling don't want their children taught subjects that go against their Biblical, personal, and moral values.

"And why would we care?"
Namely because home schoolers can receive public assistance and that irks hell out of the aforementioned groups.

"Because it's in the best interest of the country that people receive a decent education."
And that's why so many are choosing home-schooling. One would have to define "decent" as applied to the aforementioned groups.

"Because uneducated people are more likely to end up on those evil "welfare" programs and more likely to end up in the overcrowded prisons."
Citations...?
While you're at it, list names of those "highly-educated" people who are serving prison sentences for their crimes ... start with "Bernie" Madoff.

"And because providing an education is in most state Constitutions."
"So a parent who is well-educated her/himself, who understands teaching and learning concepts, and who has the time and resources to do in-home education complemented by online or in-school programs can certainly do it."

"But just because you're a parent - even a good one - doesn't mean you can be a good educator. Just because you can drive doesn't mean you're the best choice to teach your teenager. Or just because you were the star of your high school team doesn't make you a coach. So with no certificate or basic training required to home-school, no verification of curriculum, no requirement to meet consistent standards, etc., it might just be "home-staying."
Sadly, I have to agree with you.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Vrede too wrote:All else equal, you would want an atheist or agnostic to teach religion if you want an educated child.
A hallmark of Mr.B-style Christianity is their ignorance of the history of Christianity and what the Bible actually has to say. "EULA Christians"; folks for whom the Bible is like a software license. Not to be read or understood. Just assume that you know what it means, scroll down to the bottom, and click "I Agree."

Granted, I'm not sure why a knowledgeable follower of Christ wouldn't just switch to Judaism. Jesus was Jewish. Sure, he was leading a doomsday cult - the Bible has him saying several times that the Last Days would happen within the lifetime of his followers - but it was a Jewish cult with Jewish practices.

It was in the decades after his death that it turned into its own distinct religion with its own practices, with more changes happening over the next three centuries. The bulk of Christian beliefs separate from Judaism came from Paul, who came along years after Jesus died. It's a wonder they don't call it the Paulian religion.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

billy.pilgrim wrote: "These so called teachers live off of taxpayer money and take away from legitimately trained teachers and the facilities they use.
I have no problem with some flat earth idiot not having to pay school taxes if they want to teach their kids nonsense but don't ask the country to pay for it.These people are far closer to welfare queens than someone buying a steak with food stamps."
The butthurt runs deep in this one ....

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Mr.B wrote:"Because uneducated people are more likely to end up on those evil "welfare" programs and more likely to end up in the overcrowded prisons."
Citations...?
While you're at it, list names of those "highly-educated" people who are serving prison sentences for their crimes ... start with "Bernie" Madoff.
A college Bachelor of Arts in political science. That's quite the "high education" there.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

In some circles :roll: a Bachelors is "highly-educated [sic, no hyphen needed]".

It's so obvious and well known that it shouldn't need citations. It's also way easy to search.

education level - welfare

education level - prison

Gee, look at all those citations. Mr.B fails common sense, knowing how credible O Really is, the difference between stats and anecdotes, education and initiative, again.
1312. ETTD.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede too wrote:
Are you smarter than an atheist? A religious quiz

Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right.

How will you do on the quiz?
Your score
32 Correct
0 Wrong
100%

You answered 32 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 100%.

Average reader score
84%
Twice as knowledgeable about religion as the average Protestant. Funny that.

#11 correct, but I wasn’t 100% sure. #29 correct, but I sort of guessed between 2 of the choices. So, I could have ended up at 93.75%.
31 correct- 97%- and I protest the one I got "wrong."
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.