College football

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: College football

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:00 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:15 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 6:01 pm
No review on pass to set up bammer’s 2nd quarter touchdown? Weird.
I was watching Appalachian State get beaten :( If you come across a video please share. It could have decided the game.
Who did they play?

It wasn’t so much how it was called as it was that it wasn’t reviewed. 99 times out of a hundred a similar reception would have been reviewed; the lone non-review would have been in favor of Alabama.

I saw the ball touch the ground and change direction.

World’s biggest bammer fans, Brad and Gary didn’t
And I imagine the bammer loving reporter you quoted last week agreed with them
Of course when I don’t quote we go to a new page.
Bumping this for conversation context
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
I was watching Appalachian State get beaten :( If you come across a video please share. It could have decided the game.
Who did they play?
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:16 pm
Sun Belt Championship, ESPN
Appalachian State (8-4) > @Troy (10-2, -5.0). GoHominiesGo!
23-49 :cry:
It was closer until the end.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
It wasn’t so much how it was called as it was that it wasn’t reviewed. 99 times out of a hundred a similar reception would have been reviewed; the lone non-review would have been in favor of Alabama.

Good eye. Not just reviewed, it should have been deemed an incomplete. SEC refs for the SEC Championship? 4th down play, might have affected the winner :angry-banghead:
:roll: Are you referring to your paranoid delusion about the Northwestern-alum USAToday reporter in New York who supported Auburn by telling the world that the final play might have been OPI when she didn't have to discuss the issue at all?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

New page.
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:13 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 12:33 am
FCS Championship - Second Round
Most important games (2 points):

2:00 PM ESPN+ :x
Sacramento State (8-4) > @3 South Dakota (9-2, -3.5)
24-34. Montana State won't get a home game next week :(

3:00 PM ESPN+ :x
@6 Montana State (8-3, -2.5) > North Dakota State (9-3)
44F degrees but ND is just as cold, no advantage. Oh NOOO! Montana State PAT blocked in OT1, 34-35 :cry:

Tight spreads, so far.

9:00 PM ESPN+ :x
@2 Montana (10-1, -18.5 :lol: ) > Delaware (9-3). 37F degrees, hah!
35-12 at the half :thumbup: :lol:
49-19
:happy-cheerleaderkid:
C'mon, Furman from SC, welcome to a Montana winter. I won't care much about the other games.

Less important games (1 point):

12:00 PM

ESPN+ :x
Richmond (9-3) > @5 UAlbany (9-3, -7.0). 34F degrees. 13-41 :thumbdown:

ESPN+ :x
Youngstown State (8-4) > @8 Villanova (9-2, -5.5). 28-45 :thumbdown:

1:00 PM ESPN+
Chattanooga (8-4) > @7 Furman (9-2, -6.5)
Winner loses @Missoula next week. 7-26 :thumbdown: Oh well, good for uncaring Whack9.

2:00 PM ESPN+ :x
Mercer (9-3, Macon) > @1 South Dakota State (11-0, -32.5 :laughing-rolling: )
38F degrees. I would bet on Mercer, PLUS the points :D I would lose that bet :wtf: 0-41, that's why they're #1.

10:00 PM ESPN2 :thumbup: ESPN+
Southern Illinois (8-4) vs @4 Idaho (8-3, -6.0)
No pick, I like Moscow. Go football. 17-20 OT1.
All of the seeds except Montana St :( won their games :yawn:
2-8 FCS :thumbdown:
Last edited by Vrede too on Sun Dec 03, 2023 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:24 pm
Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Who did they play?
Vrede too wrote:
It was closer until the end.
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Good eye. Not just reviewed, it should have been deemed an incomplete. SEC refs for the SEC Championship? 4th down play, might have affected the winner :angry-banghead:
:roll: Are you referring to your paranoid delusion about the Northwestern-alum USAToday reporter in New York who supported Auburn by telling the world that the final play might have been OPI when she didn't have to discuss the issue at all?
Yep. And btw, the kicker was advancing down the field as he was supposed to do and not headed towards the sidelines. It all on video.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

New page.

You need glasses, billy.pilgrim, and it was OBVIOUSLY an unnecessarily dirty play from the blindside rather than the front like a man.
Vrede too wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:26 am
FBS

3:00 PM Mountain West Championship, FOX
Boise State (7-5, -2.5) vs @UNLV (9-3)
Could be a good game, go football! Nope, a rout. 44-20 Blufield, billy.pilgrim's favorite team is the Champ.

Go:

12:00 PM, Big 12 Championship, ABC
@7 Texas (11-1, -15.0) > 18 Oklahoma State (9-3)
With OR out of the way Texas still has a shot, especially if AL and FSU lose. I've always heard great thing about Austin. Hook 'em, 'Horns!
49-21 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Bye-bye Big 12.

4:00 PM

SEC Championship, CBS
(holding nose) @1 Georgia (12-0, -5.0) > 8 Alabama (11-1)
Saban's whiny paranoia notwithstanding, I think an SEC team will be in the Playoffs and the greater risk is seeing 2 SEC teams qualify. So, I want AL booted with a 2nd loss. 24-27 :problem: It would be hilarious if the SEC gets snubbed due to Saban's paranoid whining, but ain't gonna happen. Bama is in. Georgia after its 29-game win streak ends?

American Athletic Championship, ABC
@22 Tulane (11-1, -3.0) > SMU (10-2)
New Orleans hedonism > TX xtians! Break that 20-ranking barrier for the Group of 5.
14-26 :thumbdown: Pundits say that there is a debate whether SMU or Liberty gets a New Years 6 game. Go SMU, the less RW xtians.

8:00 PM

Big Ten Championship, Indianapolis, FOX
16 Iowa (10-2) > 2 Cheatin' Michigan (12-0, -22.0 :( )
I won't count a loss in my tally. I would make this bet on Iowa +22.
0-10 with the sole TD coming after an 87-yard punt return to the Iowa 5. I still believe. FYI, "I believe" seems to be a jinx :angry-banghead:
0-26, shame the Iowa offense missed the plane. Cheaters do prosper and Michigan is in :puke-left:

ACC Championship, Charlotte, ABC
14 Louisville (10-2) > 4 Florida State (12-0, -1.5). GoLouisvilleGo, upend the CFP!
Who allowed all of those FSU fans across our border? Why is the stadium tolerating that obnoxious chant? Expel and deport them!
0-3, lowest scoring ACC Championship 1st half ever :yawn: Just 10 total first downs, 11 total punts :wtf:

6-16.
Lots of pundit speculation going on, but it's going to be:
Cheatin' Michigan
Huskies
FSU
Bama
Possibly in that descending order. TX and GA get screwed by the 4-team Playoff regimen that was always too small.

I'm FBS 1-4 today, FBS 1-5 for the week.
2-8 FCS.
3-13 overall this week :roll:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 pm
New page.

You need glasses, billy.pilgrim, and it was OBVIOUSLY an unnecessarily dirty play from the blindside rather than the front like a man.
Vrede too wrote:
Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:26 am
FBS

3:00 PM Mountain West Championship, FOX
Boise State (7-5, -2.5) vs @UNLV (9-3)
Could be a good game, go football! Nope, a rout. 44-20 Blufield, billy.pilgrim's favorite team is the Champ.

Go:

12:00 PM, Big 12 Championship, ABC
@7 Texas (11-1, -15.0) > 18 Oklahoma State (9-3)
With OR out of the way Texas still has a shot, especially if AL and FSU lose. I've always heard great thing about Austin. Hook 'em, 'Horns!
49-21 :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Bye-bye Big 12.

4:00 PM

SEC Championship, CBS
(holding nose) @1 Georgia (12-0, -5.0) > 8 Alabama (11-1)
Saban's whiny paranoia notwithstanding, I think an SEC team will be in the Playoffs and the greater risk is seeing 2 SEC teams qualify. So, I want AL booted with a 2nd loss. 24-27 :problem: It would be hilarious if the SEC gets snubbed due to Saban's paranoid whining, but ain't gonna happen. Bama is in. Georgia after its 29-game win streak ends?

American Athletic Championship, ABC
@22 Tulane (11-1, -3.0) > SMU (10-2)
New Orleans hedonism > TX xtians! Break that 20-ranking barrier for the Group of 5.
14-26 :thumbdown: Pundits say that there is a debate whether SMU or Liberty gets a New Years 6 game. Go SMU, the less RW xtians.

8:00 PM

Big Ten Championship, Indianapolis, FOX
16 Iowa (10-2) > 2 Cheatin' Michigan (12-0, -22.0 :( )
I won't count a loss in my tally. I would make this bet on Iowa +22.
0-10 with the sole TD coming after an 87-yard punt return to the Iowa 5. I still believe. FYI, "I believe" seems to be a jinx :angry-banghead:
0-26, shame the Iowa offense missed the plane. Cheaters do prosper and Michigan is in :puke-left:

ACC Championship, Charlotte, ABC
14 Louisville (10-2) > 4 Florida State (12-0, -1.5). GoLouisvilleGo, upend the CFP!
Who allowed all of those FSU fans across our border? Why is the stadium tolerating that obnoxious chant? Expel and deport them!
0-3, lowest scoring ACC Championship 1st half ever :yawn: Just 10 total first downs, 11 total punts :wtf:

6-16.
Cheatin' Michigan
Huskies
FSU
Bama
Possibly in that descending order.

I'm FBS 1-4 today, FBS 1-5 for the week.
2-8 FCS.
3-13 overall this week :roll:
Only because the kicker turned his back at the last second.
You are the one who said that he was leaving the field, after he had advance straight down the field from where he kicked the ball.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"the kicker turned his back at the last second" and "he kicked the ball" from that close to the sideline? :laughing-rolling: I'm done now that you're making stuff up. Take the last word.

TX, victor over AL, and GA get screwed by the 4-team Playoff regimen that was always too small. The former bugs me, the latter is great.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:56 pm

Cheatin' Michigan
Huskies
FSU
Bama
Possibly in that descending order. TX and GA get screwed by the 4-team Playoff regimen that was always too small....
I have never been so happy to be wrong!
CFP: Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama to vie for title

Michigan, Washington, Texas and Alabama have been selected by the College Football Playoff committee to vie for the national championship, leaving out Florida State -- the first time in CFP history an undefeated Power 5 champion failed to finish in the top four....
My only regret is that Washington will play Texas (-4.0) in the Sugar Bowl semi rather than the Final. Go Huskies, but if not then Go 'Horns in the Championship.

Florida State 13-0, Georgia 12-1 and Ohio State 11-1 all getting snubbed. It doesn't get any better than this . . . oh wait, it does get better:
State lawmakers bash Florida State’s CFP snub, threaten lawsuits: ‘Corrupt decision’

... former Florida State player — and current Florida state senator — Corey Smith (Simon, R-Tallahassee) took the issue a step further and wrote Sunday on X, “The corruption of college football rears its ugly head again. ESPN and Disney have a vested interest in the SEC participating in the CFP. Lawsuits should be filed tomorrow.’’

And Senator Rick Scott added he was “infuriated” by the decision, adding, “I’ll be demanding the committee answer as to how this decision was made and what led to this outcome.”

... DeSantis and others were critical of the committee, with DeSantis writing on X: “What we learned today is that you can go undefeated and win your conference championship game, but the College Football Playoff committee will ignore these results...."

Jared Moskowitz, a congressman from Florida (D-Broward County and southern Palm Beach County), wrote on X: “I am circulating a letter and will be doing a resolution condemning @NCAAFootball @NCAA decision to leave @FSUFootball out of the playoffs. This decision is about TV money, a corrupt decision for college athletics.”
AL and Austin mean more money than FL? :headscratch:
Another Republican congressman from Florida, Byron Donalds (wingnut, O Really's Naples), called the committee “trash.”
:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:

Also, College Football Playoff Rankings

8 Oregon 11-2, the best 2-loss team, down3, fair enough, will Duckslap 23 Liberty 12-0.
18 NC State Wolfpack 9-3 up1 will shred the 25 Kansas State Wildcats.
Loyal 19 Oregon State 8-4, the best 4-loss team, up1 to beat 16 Notre Dame. Beavers rule!
2019 national finalist 22 Clemson 8-4 up1 vs unranked Kentucky. How embarrassing!
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Billy. P is right. The rules are different for Bammer and can't possibly all be on the up and up.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:35 pm
Billy. P is right. The rules are different for Bammer and can't possibly all be on the up and up.
Could be, but the expressed rationale for excluding FSU - 3rd string QB and diminished dominance the last 2 games - is at least sensible if not compelling. IMO they could have drawn names out of a hat (and possibly did) in deciding between Texas, Alabama, Florida State, Georgia and Ohio State for the 3 and 4 seeds. I'm just happy that my favorite of the 5 got in.

Ftr, the AP Top 25 is significantly different:

1 Michigan(51) 13-0 up1
2 Washington(11-nice, I agree) 13-0 up1
3 (still :thumbup: ) Texas 12-1 up4
4 Florida State 13-0 no change
5 Alabama 12-1 up3
6 Georgia 12-1 down5
7 Ohio State 11-1 down1

Names drawn from a different hat? :shh:

19 NC State 9-3 up2 :thumbup:
23 Tulane 11-2 down6, but still ranked :thumbup:
24 James Madison 11-1 no change, still ranked :thumbup:

Others receiving votes: Clemson ... Utah, Kansas State - Haha
No votes: Appalachian State, WDE, Duke, MD, Miami, UNC, Northwestern, SDSU :think:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Does it get worse? UNC going g to the Mayonnaise bowl is bad enough, but it has to be the "Duke" bowl?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:27 am
Does it get worse? UNC going g to the Mayonnaise bowl is bad enough, but it has to be the "Duke" bowl?
:violin: :P In Charlotte vs West Virginia is practically a home game, though :thumbup:
Otoh, Duke gets screwed by playing Troy in Birmingham :ateeth:
Hah, Auburn vs Maryland in neutral Nashville. You're going down, billy.pilgrim!
Appalachian State vs Miami (Ohio) in Orlando. Go hominies!
Miami (Fla.) plays in The Bronx, close to a home game for Rutgers, ut-oh.
Northwestern vs Utah in Las Vegas. Keep the streak alive, new coach.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
I still think he misread the USA Today reporter, but that doesn't mean he's wrong about the media in general.

Raft of Pro-Alabama Apologists Defending Bad CFP Committee Decision Represents the Worst of Sports Journalism

Did FSU slack on its non-conference schedule, something I've often griped about? -0-?
Cupcakes Southern Miss, FCS North Alabama :roll:
Theoretically strong Florida, a rivalry game played every year
Then #5, now #13 LSU
Plus, FSU beat:
Then #14, now #15 Louisville
Then #16 Duke
Now #22 Clemson

Again, IMO the CFP could have legit chosen 2 among FSU and any of the four 1-loss teams. I'm just happy that Texas got in.

Ah, here's the reason that FSU got snubbed:
Donald Trump blames Ron ‘DeSanctimonious’ for FSU being left out of College Football Playoffs

... In a post to Truth Social, Trump said “Florida State was treated very badly by the ‘Committee.'”

“They become the first Power Five team to be left out of the College Football Playoffs. Really bad lobbying effort…Lets blame DeSanctimonious!!!” ...
:clap: :lol:

Never mind that ex-PINO is a more powerful national pol from Florida than Fascist DerSantis. Where was his "lobbying" on behalf of FSU? Opps.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2023 4:14 pm
So many reminders of just how bad harsin sucks.

Not only did he run off a great quarterback, but he relegated this guy to the Scout team and the bench.

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2023/ ... -week.html

https://flywareagle.com/2023/09/11/aubu ... ntalizing/

"Eugene Asante had 12 tackles and a sack in a narrow but historic 14-10 victory at California Memorial Stadium. After the game, Asante revealed that he was on the scout team under Harsin. That prompted a response on Instagram from Dayn Harsin, one of Bryan’s daughters, claiming that Asante asked to be on the scout team.

Dayn Harsin defends millionaire dad - too funny.

I love this one

As more and more of Harsin's idiocy comes to light, I wonder more and more that he saw a way to make millions of dollars and retire at the same time.
And the truth starts to come out about certain white people from Idaho.

https://flywareagle.com/2023/12/05/find ... c-inquiry/

“ Opelika-Auburn News editor Justin Lee implied that there are confirmed findings, potentially, if not likely of the groundbreaking variety, regarding AU’s 2022 inquiry into disgraced former Auburn football head coach Bryan Harsin”
“‘For whatever reason, the university omitted the real reason for the inquiry into the program — the investigation into the possible mistreatment of Black football players — and allowed him to make a statement suggesting it was about the affair rumors,” Lee said.

If the lid is about to burst on Harsin’s tenure, and why it was so short and didn’t work out on the field or the recruiting trail, you can forget a return to the sport for the Boise native. Ideally, AU could perhaps find a loophole out of their financial commitment to Harsin in that scenario. You’d have to hope Auburn University’s Athletic Department’s counsel could retroactively find cause to fire him without any further payouts.”

No wonder he refused to go to player’s homes and meet with their families.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:29 pm
O Really wrote:
I still think he misread the USA Today reporter, but that doesn't mean he's wrong about the media in general.

Raft of Pro-Alabama Apologists Defending Bad CFP Committee Decision Represents the Worst of Sports Journalism

Did FSU slack on its non-conference schedule, something I've often griped about? -0-?
Then #5, now #13 LSU
Plus, FSU beat:
Then #16 Duke
Now #22 Clemson

Again, IMO the CFP could have legit chosen 2 among FSU and any of the four 1-loss teams. I'm just happy that Texas got in.

Donald Trump blames Ron ‘DeSanctimonious’ for FSU being left out of College Football Playoffs

... In a post to Truth Social, Trump said “Florida State was treated very badly by the ‘Committee.'”

“They become the first Power Five team to be left out of the College Football Playoffs. Really bad lobbying effort…Lets blame DeSanctimonious!!!” ...

Never mind that ex-PINO is a more powerful national pol from Florida than Fascist DerSantis. Where was his "lobbying" on behalf of FSU? Opps.
Her tone and implied questionable calls said bama fan to me.

I still don’t know why you think the kicker was moving towards the sidelines. He had advanced toward the ball carrier parallel to the sidelines from where he kicked.
And if you will stop the clip at just over 4 seconds, you’ll see the Auburn blocker’s helmet make contact with the now bama tackler in front of his shoulder. You’ll also see him begin to turn away from the blocker just before contact. It was close - he almost drew the penalty.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2023 8:29 pm
O Really wrote:

Then #5, now #13 LSU
Plus, FSU beat:
Then #16 Duke
Now #22 Clemson

Do you really see much different with bammer’s schedule?
Or Auburn?

Funny that there are loads of articles about the fsu qb being a reason for their snub, but no mention of bama needing a last second 4th and 31 to squeak out a win against an unranked Auburn.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:40 pm

I still don’t know why you think the kicker was moving towards the sidelines. He had advanced toward the ball carrier parallel to the sidelines from where he kicked.
And if you will stop the clip at just over 4 seconds, you’ll see the Auburn blocker’s helmet make contact with the now bama tackler in front of his shoulder. You’ll also see him begin to turn away from the blocker just before contact. It was close - he almost drew the penalty.
He sure didn't punt from that close to the sideline. It wasn't a direct trot to the sideline, but more in that direction than the center of the field. I'll settle for, "It was close - he almost drew the penalty," thanks. My point all along is that it was a dirty hit, whether or not it was technically a penalty, and the reporter's point was that the refs did not zap Auburn when it was "close" and "almost" and they could have. That's not a pro-Bama bias.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:09 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2023 5:40 pm

He sure didn't punt from that close to the sideline. It wasn't a direct trot to the sideline, but more in that direction than the center of the field. I'll settle for, "It was close - he almost drew the penalty," thanks. My point all along is that it was a dirty hit, whether or not it was technically a penalty, and the reporter's point was that the refs did not zap Auburn when it was "close" and "almost" and they could have. That's not a pro-Bama bias.

I’ll go with some of that. It was an unnecessary hit. The kicker probably would have taken himself out of the play if the guy had just gotten in front of him. He kicked from just outside the hash mark.
Had there been a penalty, I hope that I would have been more pissed at the Auburn player than the refs.
Notice that on the same play the bama tackler sort of picked the Auburn runner up by his legs/feet and after dropping him on his head another bama player straddled him so he couldn’t get up. That started a lot of pushing and shoving both ways.
No flags.
Could be that got all the attention.

btw - my son agrees with you that there could have been a penalty

But the slanted article was written by a bama fan or an Auburn hater. How is this not biased?

“The call was one of a number of decisions by the officials that earned scrutiny from fans and coaches,

(All fine, except all of her examples are pro bama)

including an incompletion on what appeared to be a first down catch from Jermaine Burton

Called an incompletion on the field and by review. It was ever so close but his toe was in the white)

and a review for an illegal forward pass from Jalen Milroe.

(What controversy, he went several yards over the line before throwing the ball)

The Crimson Tide pulled out a 27-24 win on Jalen Milroe's heroic
(and of course the bama an is a heroic guy)

(and of course the bama an is a heroic guy)
31-yard touchdown pass to Isaiah Bond on 4th and goal.”

Now really, on what planet is this an unbiased article?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Alabama has always played their important games in Birmingham because it had a better stadium and B’ham is a bammer town.
The sec is headquartered in Birmingham
From 1904 through 1992 the game was only played once in Auburn, the rest were all played in Birmingham