The Question Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Question Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:08 pm
Random thoughts from a trip to the grocery.

Saw a street person barking at his bicycle. Then I wondered if maybe he was just a Repug barking at the moon.

I'm not a motorcycle person, but will motorcycles not idle at a traffic light without constant revving? Or is that just part of the bikers code, like having to park backed in everywhere. I'm guessing the backing in started with Angels or some gang making it easier to escape.

I wonder why the other grocery stores don't give you a hand-held scanner like Walmart does. It's way easier. Most stores register the weight of each item scanned and you can't even move it around without the machine yelling at you. We use mesh bags for produce and sometimes have to take the item out to scan it. If you don't weigh the bag with the item, it won't let you put it back in the bag.

I wonder how many blind people shop unaccompanied and actually use those horrid cart/teeth-rattling bumps outside the doors.

If I found a grocery that wasn't effin' freezing inside, I'd shop there even if their prices were higher.
I don't know much about bike barkers. Consider yourself lucky. As of this writing, I've yet to see one.

I think the revving of the engine while stopped is required, depending on what time it is. And that business about backing in when parking is probably because once they come out of the bar or restaurant they're too tipsy to be able to walk their bike backward. They can just stagger out to it and ride off straight ahead.

God in a geodesic dome! I never use those self check out aisles. They lead straight to critical race theory, grooming children, and an uncontrollable desire to see a drag show and force kids to watch as well. But those aren't the reasons I never use the self check out. I just hate it.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:34 am

God in a geodesic dome! I never use those self check out aisles. They lead straight to critical race theory, grooming children, and an uncontrollable desire to see a drag show and force kids to watch as well. But those aren't the reasons I never use the self check out. I just hate it.
I suppose I've been mostly immune to those things so far. I have spent some time grooming dogs, but not children. If I had children, though, I'd probably send them to the groomers or use one of those mobile grooming outfits. But I've been using the self checkout ever since they started it - at least in part because they quit teaching baggers how to bag and I was doing my own anyway. Leave it to them and you'll have 15 little slippery plastic bags with one or two items in each. Much better to bring our own bags and know that cold stuff will be bagged together and the bread won't be under the cans.

But since you did such a good job on that question - Has there ever been anybody who clicks on an article and finds a paywall saying "subscribe to read the rest" and then whipped out their card and subscribed for that one article? Naaa, I didn't think so.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 2:08 pm
Random thoughts from a trip to the grocery.

Saw a street person barking at his bicycle. Then I wondered if maybe he was just a Repug barking at the moon.

I'm not a motorcycle person, but will motorcycles not idle at a traffic light without constant revving? Or is that just part of the bikers code, like having to park backed in everywhere. I'm guessing the backing in started with Angels or some gang making it easier to escape.

Safer both to park and unpark that way? -0-?

I wonder why the other grocery stores don't give you a hand-held scanner like Walmart does. It's way easier. Most stores register the weight of each item scanned and you can't even move it around without the machine yelling at you. We use mesh bags for produce and sometimes have to take the item out to scan it. If you don't weigh the bag with the item, it won't let you put it back in the bag.

The street person barking at his bicycle was barely maintaining for years as an efficient and competent grocery store bagger, but he was laid off after self-checking came in. :P

I wonder how many blind people shop unaccompanied and actually use those horrid cart/teeth-rattling bumps outside the doors.

If I found a grocery that wasn't effin' freezing inside, I'd shop there even if their prices were higher.

If it's too cold you're too old. :wave:
I have a question for you - Is the typical 30% lawyer cut for contingency cases exorbitant or is it justified by the risk, time and effort?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:41 pm

I have a question for you - Is the typical 30% lawyer cut for contingency cases exorbitant or is it justified by the risk, time and effort?
[/quote]

Yeah maybe so, but n that case I've been too old for 50 years.

I've never worked a contingency case, but to the surprise of no one, I'm happy to offer an opinion. In most contingency cases, the lawyer is getting something for the client that the client couldn't get for himself and, even if it was something the client might get, the lawyer will almost always recover more. And in some cases the settlement or award is set to accommodate the fees, so the contingency amount isn't really coming out of the client's "share." And the lawyer does have some upfront costs including court filings, staff salaries, investigators, yada along with the risk of not winning. And again depending on the case, the lawyer will spend a lot of what would be billable hours, depositions, research, filings. So whether 30% is exorbitant or reasonable depends a lot on the case but overall is probably more toward the reasonable side. If it were just a matter of the lawyer filing a claim and getting a share of what the insurance company was going to pay anyway, it would be robbery. Before entering into such an arrangement, a person would be wise to ask "what are my alternatives?" and if, for example, it was between getting 2/3 or nothing, the fee would seem pretty reasonable.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:59 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Yeah maybe so, but in that case I've been too old for 50 years.
:) Some corporate psychologist probably determined that it increases impulse buying or something.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 4:52 pm
O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:59 pm
Vrede too wrote:

Yeah maybe so, but in that case I've been too old for 50 years.
:) Some corporate psychologist probably determined that it increases impulse buying or something.
I'm not convinced, but somebody explained it as taking less energy for the actual coolers and particularly those that aren't enclosed like the dairy section, etc., plus better for produce. I don't care - make me miserable I buy less

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:03 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:34 am

I suppose I've been mostly immune to those things so far. I have spent some time grooming dogs, but not children. If I had children, though, I'd probably send them to the groomers or use one of those mobile grooming outfits. But I've been using the self checkout ever since they started it - at least in part because they quit teaching baggers how to bag and I was doing my own anyway. Leave it to them and you'll have 15 little slippery plastic bags with one or two items in each. Much better to bring our own bags and know that cold stuff will be bagged together and the bread won't be under the cans.

But since you did such a good job on that question - Has there ever been anybody who clicks on an article and finds a paywall saying "subscribe to read the rest" and then whipped out their card and subscribed for that one article? Naaa, I didn't think so.
I know what you mean about having to deal with all those plastic bags with only one item in most of them. That kind of bagism really does rattle my serenity but I've generally kept quiet and suppressed my outrage over it. Usually I just stand there and contemplate how all this is still better than getting fish slapped. Even so, there have been times when struggling with and wrangling all those goddamn bags made me think "I don't know, man. Getting fish slapped might be better than this shit. At least it doesn't last as long. Sigh."

I've only had that "subscribe to read the rest" bullshit a couple of times. Both times it made me crazy with grief and sadness. Since then I've been lucky enough to stumble onto a gig in which I am paid to read articles other people write. Sort of like how I used to get paid $75 for every post I made here, as I am in control in each case.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:04 am

I've only had that "subscribe to read the rest" bullshit a couple of times. Both times it made me crazy with grief and sadness. Since then I've been lucky enough to stumble onto a gig in which I am paid to read articles other people write. Sort of like how I used to get paid $75 for every post I made here, as I am in control in each case.
I don't mind requiring a subscription to read, and I don't mind when they give you 3 or so free articles and then cut you off. My beef is when you see an article on, say Yahoo News, and when you click on it are immediately fenced out. That article, if it's not accessible, shouldn't have been in the feed. Maybe the Yahoo people are at blame for letting those in. Anyway, I can't see it's a very good way to increase subscriptions by pissing off the readers.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:52 am
I don't mind requiring a subscription to read, and I don't mind when they give you 3 or so free articles and then cut you off. My beef is when you see an article on, say Yahoo News, and when you click on it are immediately fenced out. That article, if it's not accessible, shouldn't have been in the feed. Maybe the Yahoo people are at blame for letting those in. Anyway, I can't see it's a very good way to increase subscriptions by pissing off the readers.
Those direct links are usually within or under articles from the same source as an article that Yahoo News did re-post in its entirety. Must be a contractual thing.

Often, clearing the cookies for that site will get you those 3 freebies back.

Often, by googling the headline you will find that someone re-published the article without the paywall, sometimes even Yahoo News. :crazy:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 2:54 pm
O Really wrote:
Those direct links are usually within or under articles from the same source as an article that Yahoo News did re-post in its entirety. Must be a contractual thing.

Often, clearing the cookies for that site will get you those 3 freebies back.

Often, by googling the headline you will find that someone re-published the article without the paywall, sometimes even Yahoo News. :crazy:
Yeah, googling the headline works almost every time.

Edit: maybe we should start acknowledging some of their advertisers.

Oh no, Fer shame on me. I just advocated advertising.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

I don't mind too bad if they make me turn off my ad block as the price to read "free". If there are too many ads, too intrusive, or just to slow and obnoxious, I'm perfectly happy to click away and boogie on.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Nov 29, 2022 7:04 am

I've never paid to read anything unless you count magazine subscriptions from fifty years ago (Time, National Geographic, and a few others) and when I used to go to the Garden Basket and buy the latest Rolling Stone magazine back when it was a pretty radical left wing music and political thing during 69-72. Since then I've been reading free stuff. I guess it's free speech, or at least free reading. I plan to get onto free arithmetic before much longer. Not sure I want it.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Is the Greatest Threat to Humanity Something Called an Algorithm?
Algorithms used in social media are not tuned for what is best for society. They don’t ask themselves, “Is this true?” or “Will this information help or hurt humanity?"

https://open.substack.com/pub/thomhartm ... dium=email

"For hundreds of thousands of years, it was scouts, neighbors, and family members reporting predators or prey, animal or human, just around the other side of the mountain or on the perimeter of the nighttime fire, that kept our ancestors safe.

Over the millennia, we developed elaborate social constructs or “rules of society” to enhance our confidence in the information we’re getting from our fellow humans, because that information may be essential to our survival.

When important information is twisted, distorted, or lied about it can put us at risk. And that’s what’s happening right now across multiple social media platforms,"

The Hartmann Report

Is the Greatest Threat to Humanity Something Called an Algorithm?
Algorithms used in social media are not tuned for what is best for society. They don’t ask themselves, “Is this true?” or “Will this information help or hurt humanity?"

Thom Hartmann
Nov 28

"The man who coined the term “virtual reality” and helped create Web 2.0, Jaron Lanier, recently told a reporter for The Guardian there’s an aspect to the internet that could endanger the literal survival of humanity as a species. It’s an amazing story, and I believe he’s 100% right.

Humans are fragile creatures. We don’t have fangs or claws to protect ourselves from other animals that might want to eat us. We don’t have fur or a pelt to protect us from the elements.

What we do have, however, that has allowed us to conquer the planet and survive for eons is our interconnection with each other, something we generally refer to as society, community, and culture."

"Humans are social animals. Our ability to share information with each other in ways that are meaningful and credible has been the key to our survival.

For hundreds of thousands of years, it was scouts, neighbors, and family members reporting predators or prey, animal or human, just around the other side of the mountain or on the perimeter of the nighttime fire, that kept our ancestors safe.

Over the millennia, we developed elaborate social constructs or “rules of society” to enhance our confidence in the information we’re getting from our fellow humans, because that information may be essential to our survival.

When important information is twisted, distorted, or lied about it can put us at risk. And that’s what’s happening right now across multiple social media platforms, causing people to question global warming and other science (Covid vaccines, for example) while engaging in behavior destructive to a democratic, peaceful, functioning world.

These rules or Commandments about truthful communication are at the core of every religion, every culture, and every society from the most technologically sophisticated to those “primitives” still living in jungles, forests, and wild mountain areas.

They’re built into our deepest and most ancient oral traditions, stretching back to dim antiquity, known by every person in every culture around the world.

We in western culture can all recite the story of The Little Boy Who Cried Wolf, Eve’s lie to her god about consuming the forbidden fruit, and the consequences of courtiers’ lies about The Emperor’s New Clothes. Every other culture on Earth has their versions of the same stories.

We know, remember, and pass along these stories because truthful information is essential to the survival of family, tribe, community, nation, and ultimately humanity itself."

"Click on a post about voting and the algorithm then leads you to election denial, from there to climate denial, from there to Qanon.

Next stop, radicalization or paralysis. But at least you stayed along for the ride and viewed a lot of ads in the process": that’s the goal of the algorithm.

Algorithms used in social media are not tuned for what is best for society. They don’t follow the rules that hundreds of thousands of years of human evolution have built into our cultures, religions, and political systems.

They don’t ask themselves, “Is this true?” or “Will this information help or hurt this individual or humanity?“

Instead, the algorithms’ sole purpose is to make more money for the billionaires who own the social media platform"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Scary and unfortunately makes a lot of sense. Brings to mind "The Boy Who Cried Wolf", among others. If nobody can be trusted or relied on, there is no society. Animals like wolves understand that - but humans, noooooo.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Another question

https://apnews.com/article/business-eco ... fccddff22b

Why did dems impose a deal on the shallow pockets of workers who had rejected the deal offered by the railroad owners when they could have as easily imposed the union deal on the deep pockets of the railroad owners.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 4:05 pm
Another question

https://apnews.com/article/business-eco ... fccddff22b

Why did dems impose a deal on the shallow pockets of workers who had rejected the deal offered by the railroad owners when they could have as easily imposed the union deal on the deep pockets of the railroad owners.
Dems have been doing that for 30 years. :problem:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

It's a good question, but I don't think the issue is as simple as that. Union and company negotiators agreed to the September terms and then let 4 of the 12 unions off-leash. The union SMART Transportation Division voted the deal down by 50.9 percent, while Engineers voted for it by 53.5. The others were smaller units. I don't have the total membership count, but it would appear that a majority of the members covered under the contract voted to ratify, but each individual union has a veto type power. Further, it looks like the Congress critters will add in the sticking-point 7 days sick leave in the imposed contract.

Railway workers do have cause for beef, however, and it's the same beef that usually cause labor strife. Pay and benefits notwithstanding, they get treated like crap.

O Really
Admiral

Russian-held captive Paul Whelan is always referred to as "former Marine". True, he was in the Marines and got a bad conduct discharge for a variety of crooked things including fraudulent use of somebody's SSN, kiting checks, stealing stuff, yada. Nobody seems to ever mention that. He also has lied/misled about his law enforcement experience, and somehow managed to get high jobs in IT with no visible apparent experience or education, including his last position as "director of global security and investigations for BorgWarner" where he spent a good bit of time in Russia and bragged about his contacts including a Russian FSB agent and other law enforcement people. Canadian born, he had passports from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Ireland. The CIA said he wasn't one of theirs, that they probably wouldn't have taken him with his military record and if he was one of theirs they wouldn't have left him without diplomatic credentials. The "smoking gun" flash drive wasn't snuck into his luggage by KGB people, but was handed to him by someone he knew.

So sure, he may not be a spy; he may be innocent as the driven Siberian snow, but it should be pretty clear that getting him out would be a different project than getting Brittney Griner.

My question is, why are they made equivalent, and why with the background he has is he always just referred to as a 'former Marine"?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:17 pm
... Further, it looks like the Congress critters will add in the sticking-point 7 days sick leave in the imposed contract.

Railway workers do have cause for beef, however, and it's the same beef that usually cause labor strife. Pay and benefits notwithstanding, they get treated like crap.
That failed. Railway workers are pissed off.
Senators With Unlimited Sick Days Vote Down Paid Leave For Railway Workers

... Though a slight majority of senators, 52, did vote in favor of the measure, it failed to reach the 60-vote threshold it would have needed in order to pass. Forty-three senators voted against it.

The House did manage to pass the sick leave measure on Wednesday in a 221-207 vote. All Democrats voted in the affirmative and were joined by three Republicans: Representatives Don Bacon of Nebraska, Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania and John Katko of New York....

O Really wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:13 pm
Russian-held captive Paul Whelan is always referred to as "former Marine". True, he was in the Marines and got a bad conduct discharge for a variety of crooked things including fraudulent use of somebody's SSN, kiting checks, stealing stuff, yada. Nobody seems to ever mention that. He also has lied/misled about his law enforcement experience, and somehow managed to get high jobs in IT with no visible apparent experience or education, including his last position as "director of global security and investigations for BorgWarner" where he spent a good bit of time in Russia and bragged about his contacts including a Russian FSB agent and other law enforcement people. Canadian born, he had passports from Canada, the United States, the United Kingdom, and Ireland. The CIA said he wasn't one of theirs, that they probably wouldn't have taken him with his military record and if he was one of theirs they wouldn't have left him without diplomatic credentials. The "smoking gun" flash drive wasn't snuck into his luggage by KGB people, but was handed to him by someone he knew.

So sure, he may not be a spy; he may be innocent as the driven Siberian snow, but it should be pretty clear that getting him out would be a different project than getting Brittney Griner.

My question is, why are they made equivalent, and why with the background he has is he always just referred to as a 'former Marine"?
Agreed, should be 'disgraced former Marine'. Another huge difference is that Griner confessed. I'm not saying that Whelan should confess if he's innocent - who knows with our spy agencies? - but not confessing puts him in a different position.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:08 pm
O Really wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 9:17 pm
... Further, it looks like the Congress critters will add in the sticking-point 7 days sick leave in the imposed contract.

That failed. Railway workers are pissed off.
Senators With Unlimited Sick Days Vote Down Paid Leave For Railway Workers

... Though a slight majority of senators, 52, did vote in favor of the measure, it failed to reach the 60-vote threshold it would have needed in order to pass. Forty-three senators voted against it.

The House did manage to pass the sick leave measure on Wednesday in a 221-207 vote. All Democrats voted in the affirmative and were joined by three Republicans: Representatives Don Bacon of Nebraska, Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania and John Katko of New York....

O Really wrote:
Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:13 pm

Agreed, should be 'disgraced former Marine'. Another huge difference is that Griner confessed. I'm not saying that Whelan should confess if he's innocent - who knows with our spy agencies? - but not confessing puts him in a different position.

Depends on your side. Remember all the discussions in the media about what to call disgraced President Clinton after the impeachment? There were some wild ideas floated.
Remember that their were no discussions about trump. It's either ex or former President.