The Cinema Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: The Cinema Thread

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:31 am
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:36 am
Some people let their OCD go to their headys, and then they start making mountains out of ant hills.

Sad.
Yet another stupid, cowardly and desperately deflecting answer to a question. Pitiful.

Here’s another one for you to cower from, pussy - Why was your misspelling such a “mountain” to you that you went to the infantile extent of revising Wiki? Normal people with a spine would have just said “Oops” and admitted their error. Or, normal people with a brain would have just let their error slide. I saw it immediately and that's what I did, but rewriting Wiki was just too outrageously stupid and immature of you for me to pass up.

The really funny thing here is that you got butthurt at me elsewhere so you got the idiotic notion in your head that you would somehow be showing me up by posting gibberish after me in this thread last night. Instead, you just made a bigger ass of yourself than you already were. Good one.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4627&p=140696#p140696
I knew it was "Hedy" but decided to let it slide. The fact that he revised his wiki link (he Sharpied it) is definitely trumpy.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:02 pm
{garbage deleted}
I knew it was "Hedy" but decided to let it slide. The fact that he revised his wiki link (he Sharpied it) is definitely trumpy.

As I recall, the name of a character in Mel Brooks' now classic movie "Blazing Saddles" is "Hedly Lamarr". Or maybe it was "Headly Lamarr". I guess there's no accounting for OCD fools who get triggered by it.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Here's a useful hint. If one reads a lot, one sort of learns how to spell correctly. I've read a lot and still do. That's why I can immediately spot a word that is spelled incorrectly. And evidently you don't know this (you post ".....OCD fools who get triggered by it.") but virtually every book, magazine article, scholarly paper, or internet story is checked by an OCD fool called an editor before that work is published. And if that editor finds a mistake, the editor does not go through the manuscript and change the spelling of that word to the incorrect version every time that word appears. Instead the editor corrects the mistake rather than compounding it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Cowardly and childish deflection, as usual. Mel Brooks did not alter any encyclopedia.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

And now, back to our regularly scheduled program.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:31 am
Yet another stupid, cowardly and desperately deflecting answer to a question. Pitiful.

Here’s another one for you to cower from, pussy - Why was your misspelling such a “mountain” to you that you went to the infantile extent of revising Wiki? Normal people with a spine would have just said “Oops” and admitted their error. Or, normal people with a brain would have just let their error slide. I saw it immediately and that's what I did, but rewriting Wiki was just too outrageously stupid and immature of you for me to pass up.

The really funny thing here is that you got butthurt at me elsewhere so you got the idiotic notion in your head that you would somehow be showing me up by posting gibberish after me in this thread last night. Instead, you just made a bigger ass of yourself than you already were. Good one.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4627&p=140696#p140696
Question and points cowered from, as usual.
neoplacebo wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:02 pm
It's funny that we both generously cut him some slack at first, but the poor brain damaged child just had to go and dig his hole deeper.
Ulysses wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:29 am
As I recall, the name of a character in Mel Brooks' now classic movie "Blazing Saddles" is "Hedly Lamarr". Or maybe it was "Headly Lamarr"....
Both wrong, figures, and it's hilarious that you have such delusions of grandeur that you're comparing yourself to Mel Brooks. You're not fit to change his Depends.
1312. ETTD.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I can see a sense of humor is in extremely short supply with some individuals, who shall remain nameless.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

I've got a fabulous sense of humor. Because of that I can spot things that aren't funny.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Ulysses wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:41 pm
I can see a sense of humor is in extremely short supply with some individuals, who shall remain nameless.
Au contraire, I think YOU are :laughing-rolling: .
Please rewrite some other publication that we can all easily access.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

This movie is some "hedy" stuff:
Nightcrawler (2014)

Nightcrawler is a 2014 American neo-noir psychological thriller film written and directed by Dan Gilroy. It stars Jake Gyllenhaal as Louis "Lou" Bloom, a stringer who records violent events late at night in Los Angeles and sells the footage to a local television news station. Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed, and Bill Paxton also star. A common theme in the film is the symbiotic relationship between unethical journalism and consumer demand.

Gilroy originally wanted to make a film about the life of American photographer Weegee but switched focus after discovering the unique narrative possibilities surrounding the stringer profession. He wrote Lou as an antihero, based on the ideas of unemployment and capitalism....

The film was met with widespread praise, with critics highlighting Gilroy's screenplay and Gyllenhaal's performance. Several critics listed Nightcrawler as one of the best films of 2014 and it received various accolades, including a Best Original Screenplay nomination at the 87th Academy Awards.
(Debut) Director Dan Gilroy on the impetus for the film:
I think to some degree it's certainly an indictment of local television news, but I'd like to cast a wider net in the sense that all of us really watch these images. I would hope that maybe a viewer would take it further and maybe go, 'Why do I watch these images and how many of these images do I want to put into my own spirit?'
:clap: :clap: :clap:
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

So - excluding the time last year when all theatres were closed, has anybody here been to a movie at a theatre lately? Or intends to go anytime soon? We hadn't been to a movie for some time even before covid, but now maybe won't ever go again. It's not that they're crowded - if you go in the afternoon during the week it's entirely possible to have a given theatre to yourself. It just doesn't seem like much fun anymore.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

We stopped going to movie theatres long time ago, well before the pandemic hit.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:35 pm
So - excluding the time last year when all theatres were closed, has anybody here been to a movie at a theatre lately? Or intends to go anytime soon? We hadn't been to a movie for some time even before covid, but now maybe won't ever go again. It's not that they're crowded - if you go in the afternoon during the week it's entirely possible to have a given theatre to yourself. It just doesn't seem like much fun anymore.
Yeah, I surprised myself by going a little over a month ago. Went and saw Black widow in the theater because we wanted the theater experience.

It wasn't crowded, And surprisingly I did not feel uncomfortable.

So I think that will be a one-off with Delta.
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:45 pm

Yeah, I surprised myself by going a little over a month ago. Went and saw Black widow in the theater because we wanted the theater experience.

It wasn't crowded, And surprisingly I did not feel uncomfortable.

Our "theatre experience" hasn't been that fun for a while. Traffic to shopping center, which is mostly where the big theatres are now, freezing cold inside, endure countless ads and promos (very loudly) before even the previews begin, ill-mannered theatre-goers, yada. We really enjoy the smaller venues, often with food and drink, even if it's a smaller screen. We also like the older venues if they've been kept up or renovated. A lot of those haven't come back from the covid yet - if they ever will. This one fortunately has so far made it:

https://www.lapalomatheatre.com/

GoCubsGo
Admiral

The one we were in was pretty upscale, we had reserved our seats in advance and food options were available. Reclining seats also.

Capacity was about 85 and I don't think it was half full.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Oakland and surrounding areas have some great old timey movie theatres, like the Grand Lake theatre by Lake Merritt.

I might even venture out there again after I get my covid booster shot.

O Really
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:36 pm
The one we were in was pretty upscale, we had reserved our seats in advance and food options were available. Reclining seats also.

That sounds like a good experience.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:40 pm
GoCubsGo wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 1:36 pm

That sounds like a good experience.

It felt ok after the initial readjustment. Just wish the movie was a little better.

6.5/10

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

3.6/10, tonight:
Sharktopus vs. Pteracuda (2014)
SYFY • TV-14 • CC

A half-shark, half-octopus battles a half-pterodactyl, half-barracuda.

I’m guessing that Conan O'Brien gets eaten. Yep:

:lol: Maybe I'll skip watching it.

Oooh, it's a double feature!
Sharktopus vs. Whalewolf (2015)
SYFY • TV-14 • CC

A half-shark, half-octopus battles a hybrid of a killer whale and a wolf.
2.9/10, the cost of not killing Conan.

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Whalewolfs are real.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”