Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Education thread

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:I think that's what Moffitt means in his "times sure are different now" ad. He, and his daddy, long for the good old days.
Yeah, that's a sickening ad, not that anything with Moffitt in it isn't sickening. But I wonder if old Moffit really didn't go to school on the GI Bill. If he didn't, he's an idiot. I wonder if he's turning down Social Security or Medicare. I wonder if he'd put out his own fire in his house. Funny he's so anti-gummint and has a kid that's one of the most power-grabbing big-government building members of the legislature.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:I think that's what Moffitt means in his "times sure are different now" ad. He, and his daddy, long for the good old days.
Yeah, that's a sickening ad, not that anything with Moffitt in it isn't sickening. But I wonder if old Moffit really didn't go to school on the GI Bill. If he didn't, he's an idiot. I wonder if he's turning down Social Security or Medicare. I wonder if he'd put out his own fire in his house. Funny he's so anti-gummint and has a kid that's one of the most power-grabbing big-government building members of the legislature.
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing; if daddy Moffitt didn't get any help from the "guvmint" in the form of GI Bill or SBA loans, he's more of a dumbass than I initially thought, because he could have. These Moffitt people want you to be ignorant, just like them.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

I bet they still allow the bible, even though it's worse than either of those books.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bunde ... ouched.jpg

O Really
Admiral

Other than be aghast that anybody - even in Texas - could get by with a blatant attempt to "officially" change history (note I didn't say I was surprised they tried - just that they could get by with it), I don't care what they teach in Texas. But it is a serious problem when because Texas is such a big customer of text books, other places stand at risk to get the bullshit texts. Personally, I think creeping right-wing idiocy is waaaay more dangerous than NSA or ISIS.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede wrote:I'm fine with lumping creeping right-wing idiocy, the NSA :P and ISIS in the same category and letting people choose for themselves which is worse.
Here's my vote.
1. creeping right wing idiocy
2. NSA
3. ISIS (but I still keep an eye on that ISIS place that I have to drive by on the way to work)

indago
Pilot Officer

Unread post by indago »

"There are things we may not be proud of as Americans"

Journalists Colleen Slevin and P. Solomon Banda wrote for The Associated Press 23 September 2014:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hundreds of students walked out of classrooms around suburban Denver on Tuesday in protest over a conservative-led school board proposal to focus history education on topics that promote citizenship, patriotism and respect for authority... "I don't think my education should be censored. We should be able to know what happened in our past," said Tori Leu, a 17-year-old student who protested at Ralston Valley High School in Arvada.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

Next thing you know they'll be wanting students to recite a pledge of allegiance...

O Really
Admiral

I know things are different now, but when did it become politically acceptable to be against education in your own state? Democrats, Republicans, anybody who wanted to get into or stay in office always supported education, teachers, cops, firefighters, mom, apple pie. How can you get elected cutting education funding and not harummphing over student/school performance? If "Johnny can't read" (which he hasn't been able to do since 1959), how can you get elected by wanting lower standards, not higher? Effing apocalypse is no doubt upon us and the hard righters are the demons and zombies.

bannination
Captain

Unread post by bannination »

O Really wrote:I know things are different now, but when did it become politically acceptable to be against education in your own state? Democrats, Republicans, anybody who wanted to get into or stay in office always supported education, teachers, cops, firefighters, mom, apple pie. How can you get elected cutting education funding and not harummphing over student/school performance? If "Johnny can't read" (which he hasn't been able to do since 1959), how can you get elected by wanting lower standards, not higher? Effing apocalypse is no doubt upon us and the hard righters are the demons and zombies.
Dumb people make for cheap labor. Just saying. All the benefits of manufacturing in China without the shipping costs. 8-) As a voter, and once you're rich one day, you'll want that cheap labor market.

//Have no idea how these people keep getting elected.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:I know things are different now, but when did it become politically acceptable to be against education in your own state? Democrats, Republicans, anybody who wanted to get into or stay in office always supported education, teachers, cops, firefighters, mom, apple pie. How can you get elected cutting education funding and not harummphing over student/school performance? If "Johnny can't read" (which he hasn't been able to do since 1959), how can you get elected by wanting lower standards, not higher? Effing apocalypse is no doubt upon us and the hard righters are the demons and zombies.
I think in some places it's not so much education that people are against, it's the bureaucracy surrounding it. Growing up, it seemed like every other year school districts in neighboring PA would have to delay the start of the school season because teachers would go on strike because a contract couldn't be agreed upon. They may have had legitimate reasons to go on strike, and it may be that the school district was largely to blame, but it still sucks for the students to have to deal with that delay. Most people don't give a shit who is at fault, they just want to send their kids to school to get an education. Teachers and school districts and whoever else bickering amongst themselves = students not getting an education.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

O Really
Admiral

Nobody likes teacher strikes, but that's not an issue most places. Hell, most states don't even allow strikes by public employees. And in NC, they can't even negotiate.

indago
Pilot Officer

Unread post by indago »

Vrede wrote:Forcing them to would be unconstitutional.

My link above describes the proposed curriculum as being more jingoistic, capitalistic, conformist and intolerant of dissent than your quote, but I wouldn't know. It's outrageous enough that scores (hundreds?) of teachers and hundreds (thousands?) of students have taken action, a pretty rare thing.
Are you saying that yours is bigger than mine?

Journalist Colleen Slevin wrote for The Associated Press 3 October 2014:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Students and parents say they'll renew protests Friday after a suburban Denver school board rejected their calls to back off a proposed review of the Advanced Placement U.S. history course. As the Board voted 3-2 Thursday night to expand the membership on two existing curriculum review committees to include students, parents and administrators, some in the audience yelled "resign" and "recall, recall." ...Students across a majority of the 17 high schools in Colorado's second-largest school district have left classes in droves over the past few weeks.

Sarina Phu, 17, one of several students who spoke to about 300 opponents of the school board from the back of a pickup truck in the building's parking lot, said some of the nation's greatest achievements, including civil rights and equality for women, were achieved through protests and social unrest. Phu, the daughter of Vietnamese immigrants, praised the U.S. for being a nation where people from all backgrounds can thrive, but she said students need to learn about the negative sides of its story, including the mistreatment of Native Americans and the internment of Japanese-Americans during World War II.

"Would you like to sweep us under the rug, too, just like our histories?" she asked.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

article

indago
Pilot Officer

Unread post by indago »

Vrede wrote:
indago wrote:Are you saying that yours is bigger than mine?
Not anymore with your new link/quote and I posted, "but I wouldn't know." At the time I just pointed out the difference between your quote and an article I'd already linked and quoted on the same page since your comment could have been taken as support for the Board cons. Whose side are you on anyhow?
I'm on the side of research and education!

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Here in Manitoba we have the country's worst homicide rate at 4.1 per 100,000 people, well over double the national average.

O Really
Admiral

Florida is worst in zoning and land planning. More strip centers per mile than anyone. Worst at preservation of historical artifacts. Best (really a worst) at filling wetlands.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

The state with the highest will to live is New Jersey
Damn diggity.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Back in 1999 we were glad it was W running for President, not Jeb, because W was the smart one.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede wrote:Is that right? I thought Jeb was always supposed to be the smart one and that it was a bit of a surprise that Shrub got the first shot. Maybe I'm misremembering.

(NC) Vouchers Are An Unconstitutional Taxpayer Bailout For Sectarian Schools, Says Church-State Watchdog Group

shrub has always been considered the idiot and jebbers the smart one, the timing was right for w to run and whoopee jebbers got him appointed and now we are in world war 3

if jebbie does run, remember - he was involved in hindering the prosecution of his daughter (drugs) and wife (smuggling) while gov of florida

also - after Katrina he sold NO (w helped) pumps that wouldn't work for twice the price they could have gotten pumps (from the Netherlands) that would have worked

once a member of the crime family, always a member of the crime family
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Mr.B wrote:Image
OK...I guess we can let this kid off the hook...it's obvious where he/she get his//her info.....

Image Image Image

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: