Education thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Education thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

stephenpe wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:fla teachers have had it rough in several counties over the years

teachers are proof that there is more to life than money
We havent had raise in 7 years or more. Our insurance rates have gone insane while coverage has gone to hell. Our state raised our retirement contribution by 3% so we have basically had a 7-10% pay cut over the last 7 years,.......
Dont ask me about all the BS they have started giving teachers to do..............data collection assessments out the wazzooo and testing insanity, They used to have normal amounts of paper to push,,,,,,,,,now it is like what ESE teachers push but for WAY more kids...........here is one of the big reasons I teach (and love it I may add)....
Thursday my 2nd grade came to PE. I have a tiny little boy who is probably Aspergers with super high IQ. He doesnt do much in PE. I taught his mom. One day after calling him Jake from State Farm (he is name jake) He told me it was not nice.......so I apologized and quit. Last month he FINALLY got into something active (jumping rope) He works hard at it and its a work in progress.........Welllllll Thursday he came over and wanted to throw the football with some boys........This was monumental.......he is not social or likes sports so I was really excited. I showed him how to throw and left him with the boys figuring it would end not so good. Welllll I turned around 5 minutes later and one of my big knucklehead boys (he gets in trouble a lot) was PATIENTLY and carefully teach Jake how to throw. Putting his hands on the ball and working hard to help Jake. OMG I was so happy.......I took the helper to the office (where she sees him in a bad light often) to brag on him. He was pleased and the principal was very happy. This was my best present in a long time...........Sometimes something amazing hits you in the face and you rejoice for the human race, children and the spirit of kindness.......

I come from a family of teachers. I quit in 1982 with pay of $8,888/yr

I miss the work - not the pay
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

Vrede too wrote:
stephenpe wrote:I thought I had been gone longer than that........funny how you found it.......you must have a search trick.
Just click on a name then on "Search user’s posts". It was your only prior post, not much there to tease you about.
Don't let him fool you, stephenpe; that sucker's got a memory like an elephant and a Dewey Decimal System that rivals the Library of Congress! :lol: ;)

(Oh wait. . .did I mention that was a joke?)
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Sometime Lefty
Flight Lieutenant

Unread post by Sometime Lefty »

stephenpe wrote:Hello fellas, Taught in Fla public schools for 37 years (still do). What do you want to argue about........I have not posted here in years......a guy named Bushwacker (RIP) linked me to it years ago............FWIW I have heard some horrible sh#t (is that word ok) about NC schools for years now (from teachers on a national forum).
Hey Mr PE how ya doin? I think I'm the only Sun Forum poster left here. I've met stephenpe a number of times and I observed him in the classroom once and the kids all loved him! They were 2nd graders and they just were so excited to get to class and see their teacher. He is the kind of teacher you remember many years later. There are hundreds if not thousands of kids that have been positively influenced by Mr PE. We all owe the teachers of the world way more money and recognition!

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Scathing Study: La. Voucher Students Were Better Off In Public Schools

... The study pointed to the large percentage of religiously affiliated private schools accepting voucher students as part of the problem. Many of those schools, the study found, were having trouble staying open – until vouchers bailed them out.

“This fact suggests that the LSP (Louisiana Scholarship Program) may attract a negatively-selected set of private schools struggling to maintain enrollment,” it says....
1312. ETTD.

stephenpe

Unread post by stephenpe »

Sometime Lefty wrote:
stephenpe wrote:Hello fellas, Taught in Fla public schools for 37 years (still do). What do you want to argue about........I have not posted here in years......a guy named Bushwacker (RIP) linked me to it years ago............FWIW I have heard some horrible sh#t (is that word ok) about NC schools for years now (from teachers on a national forum).
Hey Mr PE how ya doin? I think I'm the only Sun Forum poster left here. I've met stephenpe a number of times and I observed him in the classroom once and the kids all loved him! They were 2nd graders and they just were so excited to get to class and see their teacher. He is the kind of teacher you remember many years later. There are hundreds if not thousands of kids that have been positively influenced by Mr PE. We all owe the teachers of the world way more money and recognition!
Damn Stan, long time.......how are you. I see GOA and Xena on FB but that is about all. We have a poli forum on gator chatter. You should give it a look. I haven't been here in awhile. Thanks for the nice comments.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

To: mcgregorr@wellesleyps.org,dohertya@wellesleyps.org
Subject: Civics 101

Dear Principal McGregor and Superintendent Lussier,

Re: Elementary school bans boys from wearing Trump masks at talent show
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-bobble ... 48695.html

LOL, thanks to a single complaint from some butthurt Trumpette and your own fear millions are now seeing a goofy, harmless Joseph E. Fiske Elementary School routine that scores would have watched otherwise. Censors never learn, which is especially ironic when they reside in places of learning.

Sincerely,
(Vrede too)
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

http://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/post/polk- ... e#stream/0

A Polk County public school teacher's letter of resignation has apparently hit a nerve with frustrated teachers and parents nationwide.

"It just hurt to see the frustration on all the children's faces," she said. " Five-year-olds are not allowed to play, they're not allowed to talk. They don't know the names of other kids in their classroom because they're not allowed to talk to them."

The administration for Polk County schools issued a statement saying it understands Bradshaw's frustration in trying to balance mandates with childrens' particular needs.

Bradshaw says she was prompted to quit when she realized that she wouldn't want her infant daughter to attend public school when she gets old enough. She then made the decision not to return from maternity leave
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

SC, update:

Niya arrested for challenging police abuse in school

One day last fall, Niya Kenny was sitting in her math class at Spring Valley High School in Richland County, South Carolina, when a police officer came into the classroom. A girl in her class had refused to put away her cell phone, and the teacher had summoned an administrator, who called on the officer assigned to the school.

Niya thought the officer was bad news — his name was Ben Fields, but he was so aggressive that students knew him as Officer Slam. As soon as he entered the room, she called out for other students to record him.

Three different students made cell phone videos of what happened next. Fields picked the girl up, flipped her in her desk, and then grabbed an arm and a leg to throw her across the room. Niya stood up and called out, she recalled later. “Isn’t anyone going to help her?” she asked. “Ya’ll cannot do this!”

Fields yelled at Niya to sit down and be quiet. She was so scared that she was yelling and crying. As Fields handcuffed the other girl, he turned toward Niya and told her she was going to jail, too.

Niya was arrested, taken to jail for the day, and released with criminal charges of “disturbing a school.”

Today she’s fighting back. On her behalf, the ACLU filed a lawsuit against South Carolina to challenge a law that makes “disturbing a school” a criminal offense.
Kenny v. Wilson
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Mark this day in infamy - I, O Really, agree with and support a decision and executive action taken by a Republican. :shock: :shock:
Maryland Guv requires schools to start after Labor Day. https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/md ... story.html

:clap: :clap:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It always did when I was a kid there.

I've read good things about year-round schooling with more but shorter breaks, but I don't know and am well past caring.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, but an intentional year-round schedule is a different animal. So many places had just kept creeping the start date up to a ridiculous point. Some places in Florida were (are) starting the first week in August. At least some places can whine about having to allow for snow days and such, but there aren't many of those in Florida.

The snow day excuse is lame, anyway. They've got decades of weather records to see what's typical. They could set a schedule that already comes pre-planned with a what-if list for days closed. They act like they never had snow before and have to start all over every year.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:D Acting "like they never had snow before" was a DC/MD tradition 50 years ago. Ever try driving there after only a couple of inches fell?
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:It always did when I was a kid there.

I've read good things about year-round schooling with more but shorter breaks, but I don't know and am well past caring.
Yeah that's how it was in NJ. We started after labor day, got out around the third week of June
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:Mark this day in infamy - I, O Really, agree with and support a decision and executive action taken by a Republican. :shock: :shock:
Maryland Guv ...
MD had some great Republicans in the 1960-70s. I still remember an enviro. expo put on by one suburban DC federal Rep. I suspect that any elected MD Republican remains much better than the national average.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote::D Acting "like they never had snow before" was a DC/MD tradition 50 years ago. Ever try driving there after only a couple of inches fell?
Yeppers.
I got my first license in October, and when the first snow fell, I wasn't intending for it to keep me in. My dad had other ideas, however. He took me over to what was then Wheaton Plaza to a large parking lot that had not been cleared. Had me drive around first trying to keep a steady un-spinning pace, then a bit faster and sliding turns, including a couple of 180-s/360's. After about an hour, he got behind the wheel and drove the car down an incline into a snow bank next to a curb. Gave me the keys and said when I got the car out I was OK to drive in snow. Must have worked, I've never had a snow accident yet and don't intend to do any more snow driving if I can help it.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Moving to the northern Rockies while still a relatively new driver does wonders for one's snow driving abilities . . . if you survive. I still remember when my girlfriend took the wheel that first winter and got us over a pass at about twice the speed I had been driving. :oops:
1312. ETTD.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

A young CNA colleague of mine asked for advise on the mechanics of writing a psychology research paper - sourcing, citation, etc. - she's never done one. I helped a bit and will try to find some basic rules to forward to her. It's not a big deal - pick some psychologist, answer 5 questions, 6 pages expected. Then, I had a brainstorm (or flashback 8-) ) and suggested that instead of the typical dry and boring psychologist, she could write positively or negatively about Timothy Leary. She had never heard of him, but Wiki'd him and may do it. I think I either got her an A or kicked out of school. :o
1312. ETTD.