The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Vrede too wrote:The High Falls - Triple Falls loop from the Visitor's Center, plus Hooker Falls. I've been much more ambitious there, but it was late after ziplining and lunch at the Co-op.
Lady O and I are considering DuPont this afternoon. Haven't decided whether to take bikes or hike. Either way, we like to go up Imaging to Locust and back down on Jim Branch. Sometimes over to Ridgeline for a nice downhill. Getting caught on bikes on the mountain in a thunderstorm isn't fun, though, so I'm thinking we'll probably hike. Your 3.5 with three waterfalls sounded like fun.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Had a waterfall-fan out of town visitor. It was the shortest way, though crowded, to see the most in a partial day. I've also done full day, partial bushwhacking hikes more around the perimeter.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Right choice. Wrong timing. Decided to hike, got drenched. :thumbdown:

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Having both lived in the mountain West, my VT friend and I were talking in Dupont about how it's nice to be able to get wet without getting cold. I brought ponchos, anyhow. Some habits will never die.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, we had the little plastic pack-stuffer ponchos. Got drenched anyway. Fortunately there was no lightning. We got caught out there a few years ago and ended up dug in huddled under a big rock like a couple of forest critters. Never spent much time in the Rockies, but used to visit relatives in Barre, VT. Winters are pretty brutal in Vermont, but summers are nice. Everybody goes on a picnic that day. :P

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Ay yo.

Who has been to Western SD/Eastern WY?

What's there to see and do?
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

JTA wrote:Who has been to Western SD/Eastern WY? What's there to see and do?
I've been there, but not on a pleasure trip.

Here's a link to a page that was posted on August 23, 2011; click on the author's Facebook page link for photos

If you're planning a trip there anytime soon, you won't be disappointed if you enjoy nostalgia, openness, and isolation.

Have fun, my friend!

Southwest Designated Driver
Last edited by Seth Milner on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Seth Milner wrote:
JTA wrote:Who has been to Western SD/Eastern WY? What's there to see and do?
I've been there, but not on a pleasure trip.

Here's a link to a page that was posted on August 23, 2011; click on the author's Facebook page link for photos

If you're planning a trip there anytime soon, you won't be disappointed if you enjoy nostalgia, openness, and isolation.

Have fun, my friend!

There's a community of prairie dogs I was thinking about joining.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Mount Rushmore and the rest of the Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Badlands National Park, Pine Ridge Reservation and other nearby reservations, Bighorn Mountains. Little Bighorn Battlefield is not too far up into Eastern Montana, I think they did a really good job with it.

Also, massive coal strip mines, if that interests you. I worked at the Cordero Mine south of Gillette, WY, along with various oil patch jobs.

Then, if it's not too far out of your way, Carhenge in NW Nebraska is great.

Why Western SD/Eastern WY?
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Any hiking boot suggestions? I prefer mid cut boots.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:Mount Rushmore and the rest of the Black Hills, Devil's Tower, Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Badlands National Park, Pine Ridge Reservation and other nearby reservations, Bighorn Mountains. Little Bighorn Battlefield is not too far up into Eastern Montana, I think they did a really good job with it.

Also, massive coal strip mines, if that interests you. I worked at the Cordero Mine south of Gillette, WY, along with various oil patch jobs.

Then, if it's not too far out of your way, Carhenge in NW Nebraska is great.

Why Western SD/Eastern WY?
I've never been to that area. Always wanted to check out badlands, mount Rushmore, the crazy horse monument, and devil's tower. Ive got five days so I figured that'd be the perfect amount of time to drive around and check out stuff and do some camping. Been going to the southwest the last five years so I figured I'd change it up.

I always liked the solitude of wide open spaces. One of my favorite drives out in CO was in the eastern part of the state.

Originally I had planned to check out Santa Catalina island, but I really like to just cruise around too so SD it is

Was thinking about prospecting for gold in the black hills too.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Not sure about your tastes but if it was me I would start with Badlands National Park, then decide how soon to leave in order to do how many of the others on the list. It's really cool.

I passed up ever going to Mount Rushmore, I like my mountains intact and there were too many other cool things, including a Black Hills hike where we found mushrooms 8-) , lots of time in the Bighorns and even going over to the Tetons on a long weekend.
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:Not sure about your tastes but if it was me I would start with Badlands National Park, then decide how soon to leave in order to do how many of the others on the list. It's really cool.

I passed up ever going to Mount Rushmore, I like my mountains intact and there were too many other cool things, including a Black Hills hike where we found mushrooms 8-) , lots of time in the Bighorns and even going over to the Tetons on a long weekend.
Yeah I'll be starting there. I didn't realize it was that large. Any good trails? I'm planning on going to the sugar Creek campground and hiking back maybe a mile or so and camping. Nothing too strenuous just wanna do some camping. Not sure yet though I heard the place is littered with rattlesnakes and UFOs.

I just find Mt Rushmore amazing, mostly due to the fact that God's mistress mother earth intelligently designed that mountain over millions of years to eerily resemble a few dead American presidents through pure chance of the raw forces of nature.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

There's a pinnacle that's said to look like Nixon, and a shorter one that resembles Trump. God has a sense of humor.

Too long ago for me to remember any particular Badlands trails. You'll have to let online and onsite sources be your guide.

Trivia: NC has more snake envenomations per capita than any other state. After the MD that mentioned this finished his lecture I raised my hand and asked, "Does that tell us more about our snakes or our people?"
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Vrede too wrote:There's a pinnacle that's said to look like Nixon, and a shorter one that resembles Trump. God has a sense of humor.

Too long ago for me to remember any particular Badlands trails. You'll have to let online and onsite sources be your guide.

Trivia: NC has more snake envenomations per capita than any other state. After the MD that mentioned this finished his lecture I raised my hand and asked, "Does that tell us more about our snakes or our people?"

The people who live in the badlands area are great and will give you gas when you run out.

The Crazy Horse mountain is touristy but amazing in its scale
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

I haven't been to any of those places, but next summer Lady O and I are taking the winter residence out to Washington. We're going by Denver and Salt Lake on the way out, and Montana, South Dakota, on the way back. If you find something we ought to see, suggestions welcome. One thing I'm not going to miss is the Hiawatha bike trail... http://www.ridethehiawatha.com/the-trail

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

:lol: You want ideas for the entire Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies? Can you narrow it down some?

Here's what I wrote about one trip: http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... lls#p42259

I even mentioned the Hiawatha bike trail.
Last edited by Vrede too on Thu Aug 18, 2016 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:I haven't been to any of those places, but next summer Lady O and I are taking the winter residence out to Washington. We're going by Denver and Salt Lake on the way out, and Montana, South Dakota, on the way back. If you find something we ought to see, suggestions welcome. One thing I'm not going to miss is the Hiawatha bike trail... http://www.ridethehiawatha.com/the-trail

https://crazyhorsememorial.org/
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote::lol: You want ideas for the entire Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies? Can you narrow it down some?

Here's what I wrote about one trip: http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... lls#p42259

No snark required, and no we're not going blind without a plan. I just thought if JTA ran into something special and not on every tourist map that he might pass it along. Lady O (who has traveled more extensively on that side of the country than me) has a long and getting longer list of things to do/see. However, we've often found really interesting things while on the way to or looking for something else.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote:
Vrede too wrote::lol: You want ideas for the entire Pacific Northwest and Northern Rockies? Can you narrow it down some?

No snark required, and no we're not going blind without a plan. I just thought if JTA ran into something special and not on every tourist map that he might pass it along. Lady O (who has traveled more extensively on that side of the country than me) has a long and getting longer list of things to do/see. However, we've often found really interesting things while on the way to or looking for something else.
Yeah man I'll send some pics of the spots I visit BRD's way.