The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Yep, Torrey Pines is one of the few municipal public courses on the PGA tour. Green fees range from about $125 to about $300 depending on which course and time of day/week. But I have no worries about running into the raccoon-eyed critter. For one, it only plays courses it owns, and second, it has been found essentially extinct in California except for isolated pockets of inbreds.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:03 am
Yep, Torrey Pines is one of the few municipal public courses on the PGA tour. Green fees range from about $125 to about $300 depending on which course and time of day/week. But I have no worries about running into the raccoon-eyed critter. For one, it only plays courses it owns, and second, it has been found essentially extinct in California except for isolated pockets of inbreds.
Whew! That's lucky; guess you guys are safe from the REAM (raccoon eyed anus mouth) golf cheater. Will you go toward Sacramento and see if you can get a pic of Devin Nunes' cow? Or maybe take a curiosity tour around there to try and figure out what kind of assholes voted this clown into office?

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:31 pm
Will you go toward Sacramento and see if you can get a pic of Devin Nunes' cow? Or maybe take a curiosity tour around there to try and figure out what kind of assholes voted this clown into office?
Nunes' current district is in the heart of the Central Valley, including Fresno and Visalia, where a huge amount of the country's veggies grow, and with about half its population being HIspanic. We did come through there back in the fall, and as far as I can tell, the only way Nunes gets elected is they don't tell the Hispanics where or when the election is, and they count all the inbreds' votes three of four times each. We did look for Nunes' cow, and while we didn't actually see it, we heard from good authority that his cow lives with Sasquatch and a Jackolope in a cave stuck somewhere around Lodi.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Very well. And Nunes can suck eggs. I read a story about "his hometown newspaper" and it was about the Sacramento Bee or something; just assumed that was his House district but that's where the city reference for me is from. Nunes might as well be from Mars; he's crazy stupid.

O Really
Admiral

neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:35 pm
Very well. And Nunes can suck eggs. I read a story about "his hometown newspaper" and it was about the Sacramento Bee or something; just assumed that was his House district but that's where the city reference for me is from. Nunes might as well be from Mars; he's crazy stupid.
It was the Fresno Bee.
It's owned by the same people as the Sacramento Bee. Don't know why they call it the "Bee" or why they couldn't each have its own name. Or if the owners like the Bee so well, maybe they could have called the Fresno edition the "Worker Bee" which would have been appropriate. They could call the Sacramento edition the "Queen Bee" from the capitol. There's a Bee in Modesto, too, which I guess could be the Drone.
And they could use Beyonce as their mascot. Play HoneyDrippers music at the office. Encourage their writers to be as busy as bees. Lack of imagination - that's what they've got.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:49 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:35 pm
It was the Fresno Bee.
It's owned by the same people as the Sacramento Bee. Don't know why they call it the "Bee" or why they couldn't each have its own name. Or if the owners like the Bee so well, maybe they could have called the Fresno edition the "Worker Bee" which would have been appropriate. They could call the Sacramento edition the "Queen Bee" from the capitol. There's a Bee in Modesto, too, which I guess could be the Drone.
And they could use Beyonce as their mascot. Play HoneyDrippers music at the office. Encourage their writers to be as busy as bees. Lack of imagination - that's what they've got.
Ah, Bees will be bees I guess. In any case, the editorial from the Bee didn't have much good to say about Devin and pretty much intimated they wouldn't care if he died. Maybe all those bees are closet Mormons and are just jealous of the Utah beehive theme.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

O Really wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:49 pm
It was the Fresno Bee.
This is why this newspaper is called The Bee

A newspaper columnist at the Orange County Register - in an all-in-fun indictment of the capital - reminded us last week that "Sacramento is the only capital in America that has a newspaper named after an insect."

We can only presume that this columnist, whose Sacramento-bashing was generously reprinted by the insect (Tuesday in the Scene section), thinks the name "Bee" is funny. Or somehow provincial.

To each his own. Certainly there's no quarrel that the name "Bee" hung on a newspaper is unusual.

This is, after all, a world of Heralds, Gazettes, Chronicles, Journals, Registers, Stars, Dispatches and Timeses, and the name Bee rather stands out....

Glad you asked. It's been that since 1857 when James McClatchy founded the paper. An editorial on the first day of publication said: "The name of The Bee has been adopted as being different from that of any other paper in the state and as also being emblematic of the industry which is to prevail in its every department."

So, the promise was a paper as busy as a bee. (Quaint, but not a bad marketing strategy, I should think.)
As you suggested.
Today, the name isn't quite as rare as it once was....

My favorite, though, is a weekly in Arkansas, in a town named De Queen. You're ahead of me. It's De Queen Bee. Really....
As you suggested.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, it's not exactly "hiking" in the usual meaning, but Lady O and I cruised up to Orange County and found a great place to take a walk. After finding parks and beaches closed (as expected), we had lunch from a Greek food truck - with drive-through service in Laguna Beach, and then found Ocean Blvd in Newport Beach, close to Corona Del Mar. Not really a walking trail, but they had made the sidewalks one way and people were keeping their distance. So the "hike" was between multi-million dollar mansions (tens of millions, actually) and the ocean, with Catalina Island in the distance and every yard landscaped to the max. We got in about three miles both along the beach and through the neighbourhood. Lot of nice cars cruising - flashy new ones and cool rods and restorations. And an Aston Martin dealer - https://www.astonmartinnewportbeach.com ... e-payments

I was reminded what a starkly different world when our biggest complaints are a closed beach or store compared to Queens and the Bronx where they've got bodies stacked in the street. We're grateful, and always will be.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:41 am
Lady O and I got trekking poles (Leki's) probably 12-15 years ago. They make a huge difference in hiking moderate to difficult trails, particularly going downhill and crossing streams. The actual effect is to change from walking with two legs, to using four, as you're also using arms for balance, propulsion, and brakes. Borrow a pair and try them out.
I see monopods advertised for use as trekking poles. My son needs something (bad ankle break). He doesn't hike long distance because of his ankle, but loves to shoot landscape photos.
Do you think he would do better with real trekking poles and carrying a tripod or monopod? I'm generally a little suspicious of dual use products.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I'd say go with some real trekking poles. I think I have a lopsided leg or something. Hard to explain, but going down steep declines fucks my left knee up bad.

If I'm doing a technical hike with lots steep ups and downs, or if I'm carrying a backpack for an overnighter, I use the trekking poles.

They've made a HUGE difference. No more leg/knee pain. Zero. I highly suggest them.

I got the lekkis O Really mentioned and I'm super pleased with them. 100% worth it.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Yeah, I'd suggest the real poles, too. I don't know how a monopole is set up, but trekking poles are adjustable within a wide range and most importantly, they have molded handles with a wrist strap that makes a big difference. As you walk, particularly on steep surfaces, you don't really grip the handle that hard, but rely on the wrist strap for additional support. Plus using only one, like the monopole, is not nearly as supportive overall to your hiking, balance, and ability to pull uphill.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Thanks. No wrist straps, but they are adjustable.
Plus, a tripod is better than a monopod and easy to carry.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

JTA wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:37 am
Vrede too wrote:... 10 mile Suwanee River canoe paddle from Anderson to Manatee Springs - Paddled right over a manatee (rare in late March) at Fanning Springs S.P. then hung out with it for a bit, couple of gators, bald eagle. Big, flat, developed river for my tastes, but a good first splash and the south side is mostly Andrews Wildlife Mgmt. Area - took a walk there after the paddle.

... Lower Suwanee National Wildlife Refuge - Shell Mound Trail, Nature Drive, very cool River Trail.

Manatee Springs S.P., FL - North End Trail is nice.

... Stephen C. Foster S.P., FL - Permanent crafts demos., weekend old tractor demo./fair. Good Upper Suwanee River hike. Odd place though - Big park, grandiose memorial, but Foster was only south of the Mason-Dixon line once in his life and that was a month long trip to New Orleans. All he did was write "Swanee River" and we were told it was originally about the Peedee River, anyhow....
Bad ass! Cool read and glad you had a blast my man!
Florida FWC Traps 100-Pound Suwannee Alligator Snapping Turtle
The FWC is working with other researchers to learn more about the distribution of this species.

:shock:
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

Super cool, never heard of these before.

Sailors/Rope lighter. Old tech used back in the day -

I tried using a ferro rod to light a fire for shits and giggles last time I backpacked but failed :(

These things are cheap. Be cool to try.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

So today we took a day hike on the Pacific Crest Trail, running along the edge of the Anza Borrego. Got on it here https://www.google.com/maps/@32.9346001 ... !1e3?hl=en
and hiked about an hour out and an hour back. Probably didn't qualify a a real "hike" but it was great walk along a trail with spectacular views over the desert in pretty much perfect cloud-free 75 degree day.

Stopped on the way up at Ramona's best bbq tri-tip to take along.

Saw a couple of golden eagles, a rattlesnake, a large coyote, and a couple of rabbits that were undoubted trying to stay out of the way of the eagles.

Fine day.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:04 pm
... Probably didn't qualify a a real "hike" but it was great walk along a trail with spectacular views over the desert in pretty much perfect cloud-free 75 degree day....

Saw a couple of golden eagles, a rattlesnake, a large coyote, and a couple of rabbits that were undoubted trying to stay out of the way of the eagles....
And the rattlesnakes and large coyotes.

75 degrees is better than 95 degrees. :o
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:16 pm

75 degrees is better than 95 degrees. :o
Yeah, the 95 is Friday. That's why we went out there today.

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

O Really wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:41 pm
Yeah, the 95 is Friday. That's why we went out there today.
Friday it might hit 67 here.

Cool, calm, and connected.

O Really
Admiral

So today we cruised up to Laguna Beach to hike and hang at Crystal Cove State Park.
https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/cali ... state-park
Good choice of trails, from canyons to beach - all with spectacular views. On the way up we could see where the Laguna Niguel fires were that took out 20 homes. Stopped off in Dana Point at the original Hobie surf shop for some beachwear and ended the day with a little winery in the Dana Point Lantern District. Nice day all around.

O Really
Admiral

4th of July hike - Cottonwood Canyon State Park, approximately 20 miles outside of Middle of Nowhere, OR

https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guid ... acles_Hike