The Hiking Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Hiking Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 pm
I suppose "suffocate" is technically correct, but apparently what he did was choke the cat. Man, can you imagine grabbing a mountain lion by the neck and holding on until he's dead? Would have taken at least a couple of minutes, I'd think. Now there's a prop bet for you - how long to choke the mountain lion.
The story I saw on ABC earlier says the lion was a young one, but still, I wager it would take at least 90 seconds to choke the beast, all the while dealing with a writhing, clawing, squirming mass of natural hell, both combatants knowing it is a fight to the death. Seeing it was in Colorado, if it had been me, I'd head straight to the local pot shop and bar to convey my story in an appropriate way. :D
Mountain lion killed by Colorado trail runner was a kitten, necropsy report says

The final necropsy report of the mountain lion killed by Colorado trail runner Travis Kauffman estimates the age of the lion at three to four months.

The necropsy performed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife veterinarians in Fort Collins identified the lion as a "kitten'' with a weight of 24 pounds. However, the animal was heavily scavenged and officials estimated the animal's live weight was 35 to 40 pounds....
I'm not so impressed anymore. He basically got "attacked" by the neighbor's Border Collie and could have defended himself with a laser pointer or a ball of yarn. :D
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 7:45 am
neoplacebo wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:57 pm
O Really wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:12 pm
I suppose "suffocate" is technically correct, but apparently what he did was choke the cat. Man, can you imagine grabbing a mountain lion by the neck and holding on until he's dead? Would have taken at least a couple of minutes, I'd think. Now there's a prop bet for you - how long to choke the mountain lion.
The story I saw on ABC earlier says the lion was a young one, but still, I wager it would take at least 90 seconds to choke the beast, all the while dealing with a writhing, clawing, squirming mass of natural hell, both combatants knowing it is a fight to the death. Seeing it was in Colorado, if it had been me, I'd head straight to the local pot shop and bar to convey my story in an appropriate way. :D
Mountain lion killed by Colorado trail runner was a kitten, necropsy report says

The final necropsy report of the mountain lion killed by Colorado trail runner Travis Kauffman estimates the age of the lion at three to four months.

The necropsy performed by Colorado Parks and Wildlife veterinarians in Fort Collins identified the lion as a "kitten'' with a weight of 24 pounds. However, the animal was heavily scavenged and officials estimated the animal's live weight was 35 to 40 pounds....
I'm not so impressed anymore. He basically got "attacked" by the neighbor's Border Collie and could have defended himself with a laser pointer or a ball of yarn. :D
well, as the Wizard of Oz said.....that's a horse of a different color. Guess the guy is lucky the cubs mother wasn't nearby or the story would likely have been a different one. opps

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

I'm willing to cut the guy some slack. A few years ago, our neighborhood had an infestation of feral cats, probably because of some "cat lady" putting out food. Anyway, the official preferred method for dealing with feral cats seems to be to round up the young ones, neuter/spade them and turn them back loose somewhere. The guys who volunteered to round up the kittens (that would not include me) probably still have the scars to prove it. I'd think a 30 pound feral cat could be pretty ferocious, even if it weren't a mountain lion.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:34 am
I'm willing to cut the guy some slack....
I'm partially joking, but I do think they're going to cancel the movie about him.
neoplacebo wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:11 am
well, as the Wizard of Oz said.....that's a horse of a different color. Guess the guy is lucky the cubs mother wasn't nearby or the story would likely have been a different one. opps
Probably dead. She would have prevented the attack and/or obviated the need for it.
Officials later trapped two lions in Horsetooth Mountain Open Space, where the attack occurred, that they believe to be the dead lion's siblings. Officials moved the animals to a wildlife rehabilitation facility with the intent to release them back into the wild.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:46 am
O Really wrote:
I'm willing to cut the guy some slack....
I'm partially joking, but I do think they're going to cancel the movie about him.
They've made movies about less - like the guy who cut off his arm in the canyon, or the shenanigans of a bottom-feeding Vice President.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:54 am
They've made movies about less - like the guy who cut off his arm in the canyon, or the shenanigans of a bottom-feeding Vice President.
:D Maaaybe with a 150# cat portraying the <awwww> kitten.

Never saw the movie but arm-hacking canyon guy was pretty rad.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:08 am
O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 10:54 am
:D Maaaybe with a 150# cat portraying the <awwww> kitten.

Never saw the movie but arm-hacking canyon guy was pretty rad.
We did see the movie - it was actually pretty good. But still the premise and basic plot is pretty bare. Guy (unwisely) goes off canyon climbing by himself. Guy tells a couple of girls he's going one place, then (unwisely) decides to go somewhere else. Guy falls, traps arm under rock. Guy spends some time considering "chop off arm - dehydrate and get eaten by whatever." Decides to chop and (courageously and strong) makes it back.

And of course the movie would have a 150lb cat - probably even bigger, and likely computer-enhanced. And he'd probably get chewed up more, too - much like with the bear in Revenent.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Poor guy will always be known as Travis "Kitten Killer" Kauffman.
O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:47 pm
... And of course the movie would have a 150lb cat - probably even bigger, and likely computer-enhanced. And he'd probably get chewed up more, too - much like with the bear in Revenent.
:D

If he's ultimately saved by Scarlett Johansson wielding a laser pointer and a ball of yarn, I'll go see it.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Maybe the movie could be back on...
https://thetrek.co/no-travis-kauffman-n ... tain-lion/

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Sat Mar 02, 2019 8:58 am
Maybe the movie could be back on...
https://thetrek.co/no-travis-kauffman-n ... tain-lion/
“The weight at necropsy was 24 lbs, although the estimated weight of the full carcass prior to scavenging was 35-40 lbs.”

The article I linked made that point clear, and Border Collies are about 35-40 lbs. However, some commenters still misread the attack weight as being 24 lbs.

How much does Scarlett Johansson weigh? ;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

57kg at 5'3".
But I'm not sure it matters very much how much a mountain lion weighs as an estimate of its danger. I think its less about the cat in the fight and more about the fight in the cat. I still remember those feral kittens those guys rounded up. Oof-da!

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

O Really wrote:
I'm willing to cut the guy some slack. A few years ago, our neighborhood had an infestation of feral cats, probably because of some "cat lady" putting out food. Anyway, the official preferred method for dealing with feral cats seems to be to round up the young ones, neuter/spade them and turn them back loose somewhere. The guys who volunteered to round up the kittens (that would not include me) probably still have the scars to prove it. I'd think a 30 pound feral cat could be pretty ferocious, even if it weren't a mountain lion.
I watched this weird movie called Gummo a while back. I heard about it because the soundtrack had a bunch of metal bands on it that I didn't think anyone else knew about, so I decided I must watch this film.

The two main characters ran a side hustle where they'd hunt feral cats with a BB gun and sell them to a middle man who'd then sell them to a local restaurant.

That's one way to deal with feral cats I guess but I don't recommend. Never eaten one myself so maybe it's ok, so long as they're free range wild cats.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

O Really
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 pm
The two main characters ran a side hustle where they'd hunt feral cats with a BB gun and sell them to a middle man who'd then sell them to a local restaurant.
Korean restaurant?
"In Korea, cat meat was historically brewed into a tonic as a folk remedy for neuralgia and arthritis. Modern consumption is decreasing and more likely to be in the form of cat soup."

Ewwwww.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 pm
Whack9 wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 pm
Korean restaurant?
"In Korea, cat meat was historically brewed into a tonic as a folk remedy for neuralgia and arthritis. Modern consumption is decreasing and more likely to be in the form of cat soup."

Ewwwww.
When I lived in central Florida there would be occasional news stories about Canadians stealing and eating people's pet cats. The stories we're always so matter of fact that I believed them then.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 5:30 am
O Really wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:40 pm
Korean restaurant?

More commonly shortened to the word 'catsup'.

Ewwwww.
When I lived in central Florida there would be occasional news stories about Canadians stealing and eating people's pet cats. The stories we're always so matter of fact that I believed them then.
There it is. O Really, you should be:

;)
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Well, you know how things get distorted...
In central Florida, it was probably horses, not cats, stolen by the Quebecers. :lol:

On the other hand, it does sound lot like boogie man stories spread about, oh, black people, Mexicans, Asians... given the number of loose ones running amock around Disney, why not Canadians too?

O Really
Admiral

Speaking of hiking - we're carless most of today due to seasonal detailing, so we're taking the bus over to Marco Island to do the Sea Trail...
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/flor ... sland-area

Winter's tough...

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:15 am
... On the other hand, it does sound lot like boogie man stories spread about, oh, black people, Mexicans, Asians... given the number of loose ones running amock around Disney, why not Canadians too?
Someone has to take their educated, healthy, polite, tolerant and decent asses down a peg.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:15 am
O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:15 am
... On the other hand, it does sound lot like boogie man stories spread about, oh, black people, Mexicans, Asians... given the number of loose ones running amock around Disney, why not Canadians too?
Someone has to take their educated, healthy, polite, tolerant and decent asses down a peg.
Bringing criminal habits to the US, too. Victoria news reports crime, just like. Yesterday the RCMP was investigating theft of two baby strollers. http://www.victoriabuzz.com/2019/02/rcm ... hore-area/
Yeah, expensive strollers, but still... And they were carelessly left on a porch area like the owners didn't know they lived in a high crime area.

The Mounties aren't really "mounted" anymore or wear the traditional uniform except for ceremonial show occasions, but still it's fun to think about a Dudley Doright character riding up to the house, "So, when was the last time you saw the stroller, Ma'am?"

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

O Really wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:23 am
Speaking of hiking - we're carless most of today due to seasonal detailing, so we're taking the bus over to Marco Island to do the Sea Trail...
https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/flor ... sland-area

Winter's tough...
How's the red tide situation?
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.