Beer Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
rstrong
Captain

Re: Beer Thread

Unread post by rstrong » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:50 pm

The other countries - including Canada - will have to retaliate with sanctions of their own. It won't just hurt American manufacturers by making them pay a lot more for steel and aluminum.
But home appliance maker Electrolux said it was delaying a $250 million expansion of its plant in Tennessee as it was worried U.S. steel prices would rise and make manufacturing there less competitive.
It'll also reduce their exports as the other countries are forced to retaliate with tariffs of their own.

But of course that's what any Putin-wannabe wants. A siege mentality. It gets them more support, and makes it easier to demonize thier political opponents.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:24 pm

rstrong wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:50 pm
... It'll also reduce their exports as the other countries are forced to retaliate with tariffs of their own.

But of course that's what any Putin-wannabe wants. A siege mentality. It gets them more support, and makes it easier to demonize their political opponents.
We've been here before.
Great Depression

... The decline in the U.S. economy was the factor that pulled down most other countries at first; then, internal weaknesses or strengths in each country made conditions worse or better. Frantic attempts to shore up the economies of individual nations through protectionist policies, such as the 1930 U.S. Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act and retaliatory tariffs in other countries, exacerbated the collapse in global trade.
We're really gonna need cheap beer to get through this.
So many liberals, so little time. :P

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 3:24 pm
rstrong wrote:
... It'll also reduce their exports as the other countries are forced to retaliate with tariffs of their own.

But of course that's what any Putin-wannabe wants. A siege mentality. It gets them more support, and makes it easier to demonize their political opponents.
We've been here before.
Great Depression

... The decline in the U.S. economy was the factor that pulled down most other countries at first; then, internal weaknesses or strengths in each country made conditions worse or better. Frantic attempts to shore up the economies of individual nations through protectionist policies, such as the 1930 U.S. Smoot–Hawley Tariff Act and retaliatory tariffs in other countries, exacerbated the collapse in global trade.
We're really gonna need cheap beer to get through this.
Well my friends I have just the thing you're looking for:

You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 pm

JTA wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

:?:
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ght#p82208
JTA wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm
... Since I've gotten older, my tastes have become more refined. Can't have any of that hillbilly garbage.

I'm now a Miller Lite connoisseur.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA » Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:20 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:57 pm
JTA wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:47 pm

:?:
http://www.blueridgedebate.com/viewtopi ... ght#p82208
JTA wrote:
Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:42 pm
... Since I've gotten older, my tastes have become more refined. Can't have any of that hillbilly garbage.

I'm now a Miller Lite connoisseur.
Miller Lite is a tab bit too refined when things get tight. Don't want to come off as pompous and out of touch with you proles, so bud lite it is.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:42 pm

rstrong wrote:
The other countries - including Canada - will have to retaliate with sanctions of their own. It won't just hurt American manufacturers by making them pay a lot more for steel and aluminum.

It'll also reduce their exports as the other countries are forced to retaliate with tariffs of their own.

... “We will put tariffs on Harley-Davidson, on bourbon and on blue jeans - Levi’s,” European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker told German television....
Harley-Davidson's HQ is in Ryan's district. :D
Bourbon is huge in Mitch McConnell's KY. :D
I'm not sure why Levi’s made the list. Their HQ is in San Francisco and very few of their products are made in the US.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 2:42 pm
rstrong wrote:

... “We will put tariffs on Harley-Davidson, on bourbon and on blue jeans - Levi’s,” European Commission President Jean-Claude Juncker told German television....
I'm not sure why Levi’s made the list. Their HQ is in San Francisco and very few of their products are made in the US.
I read that back when W. tried to implement steel tarrifs, the EU responded in kind with "surgically" aimed tarrifs specifically targetting swing states Bush needed to be reelected.

billy.pilgrim
Captain

Unread post by billy.pilgrim » Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:52 pm

JTA wrote:
Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:04 pm
Vrede too wrote:
rstrong wrote:

I read that back when W. tried to implement steel tarrifs, the EU responded in kind with "surgically" aimed tarrifs specifically targetting swing states Bush needed to be reelected.

Wish they had done a better job.
George Carlin said “The owners know the truth. It’s called the American dream because you have to be asleep to believe it.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:03 pm

JTA wrote:
Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:20 pm
Miller Lite is a tab bit too refined when things get tight. Don't want to come off as pompous and out of touch with you proles, so bud lite it is.
I keep telling folks that your not just some frilly shirt, Jheri curl, pancakes on a silver platter washed down with Miller Lite, effete snob, that you remember your Bud Light roots and are really still just 'JTA from the Block'.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Mon Mar 05, 2018 6:42 pm

Vrede too wrote:
Pelosi's district.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:16 pm

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:43 am

Teen gets head stuck in truck's exhaust pipe, then she's cited for underage drinking, of course (with pics)

... The exhaust pipe was briefly on display at a local bar.

Ironically, the bar is called “Darwin Tavern.”

O Really
Captain

Unread post by O Really » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:11 am

Do we need a thread for "A Minnesota Girl"? Naaa, she probably was a Florida import.