Beer Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: Beer Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

I know it's texass, but "People are still investigating. It’s unknown if the driver could face any charges."

Since when are charges uncertain for a hit and run causing a death?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:24 am
I know it's texass, but "People are still investigating. It’s unknown if the driver could face any charges."

The article is from November 02, 2021, less than a day after the event. There are probably updates somewhere, but I couldn't find further info at the links, KHOU, or in the YT and Twitter comments.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Maybe everybody out there is drunk on their ass and this is just one example of it getting out to the rest of the country. I bet they freeze again in a couple of months, too. Crazy fuckers.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Booze Thread

A wild turkey is on the attack in D.C.

Funny, in D.C. it's usually the Wild Turkey being attacked. :wave:
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:21 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Well, it IS Texas.

Perhaps our Texas moderator can answer your query?
Still showing off that you don't understand context?
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:30 pm
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:21 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Well, it IS Texas.

Perhaps our Texas moderator can answer your query?
Still displaying your overly rigid conservative mind?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Yes. Sad.
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:22 pm
( :crybaby: )
Project much? YOU are the moronic literalist here. That's billy.pilgrim's point, duh.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:48 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Yes. Sad.
Ulysses wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:22 pm
( :crybaby: )
Project much? YOU are the moronic literalist here. That's billy.pilgrim's point, duh.

He did it again. I love it that he so consistently makes my point.

Poor useless doesn't understand that words can have different meanings depending on the context.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:07 pm
He did it again. I love it that he so consistently makes my point.

Poor useless doesn't understand that words can have different meanings depending on the context.
I occasionally stumble on a thread that reminds me how great it is that Useless is gone.

Bud Light Outrage Spreads to Miller Lite's New Ad Campaign
Miller Lite is about to feel the wrath of thousands of scorned social media accounts.

When the culture wars is your life, everything is an opportunity to be offended.

Miller Lite is catching flack this week after a commercial (which came out at least two months ago) was deemed "woke" by the social media crowd that determines such things.

:clap:
Miller Lite, which is a brand under the Molson Coors (TAP) - Get Free Report umbrella, apparently is conciliatory about the past depiction of women in beer advertising, not only in its own ads, but across the industry.

This apologetic tone was enough to set the culture warriors on the right off on social media Monday, with some users looking to repeat the success they had in turning on Miller Lite rival Bud Light.

(whiny RW tweets not reposted)
So, RWers hate transgenders AND cis women. No wonder they're InCels.
Lost in all the fake outrage over the ad campaign seems to be the acknowledgment of the contributions alewives have made brewing for centuries. Or the successful smear campaign that was run against them by male competitors to drive them from an industry that was once dominated by women.

While the usual suspects on the right expressed their anger with Miller Lite on social media, people on the other side of the political aisle didn't seem too bothered.

That Guy
@ItsThatGuy330

Ok..where can I apply to make you my uncle or something? I don't care I just want you at every family function I'm ever at!
Texas Paul Schroder
@Paultx890

We are brothers. Just care about humanity and want good things for our people and we are already brothers.
That Guy
@ItsThatGuy330

Hey..brothers is even better! Thank you for speaking up for people that they're trying to silence. As the father of an LGBTQ child I can't express how much it means!
I went to a firefighters' dinner, one of the men was drinking a Bud Light the other guys made a joke about it…he said “get over that bullshit guys” all the ladies at the table, looked at him and smiled… a man that has confidence in himself is pretty sexy.
Real alpha male right here. You're the man, Paul!
<s> Don’t they know that the word “light” is totally gay? Like “light in the loafers” ya know. All light beer is woke AF! </s>
Cheers!
:lol: :thumbup:
The dark history of women, witches, and beer
The history of women in brewing goes back millennia where it was a respected profession. How did it help give rise to our modern image of witches?

... Which brings us to today

Women have long had a hand in brewing. With the poor quality of water before modern sanitation methods, these women played a vital part in keeping humanity healthy and nourished. While the occupation has long since been taken over by men in the west, it remained a woman’s job in parts of Latin America and Africa. As women begin to re-enter the brewing industry with fewer fears of being burned as witches, they can step into the shoes of countless brewsters before them. Beer lovers may rejoice at this news.
:thumbup:
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:

Speaking of slow Texans:
‘Cringe’: Ted Cruz Mocked For Super Awkward Beer Stunt On Live TV

Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) is so angry he can hardly sip.

Cruz ― who has been in the headlines lately for repeatedly getting duped by fake stuff he saw on the internet ― said “these idiots” want people to limit drinking to two beers a week.

“That’s their guideline!” he said.

That’s not the guideline.
Opps. :lol:
In the United States, the guidelines ― which are recommendations only ― suggest adult men should limit alcoholic drinks to two or fewer per day, while adult women should stick to one or fewer per day.

But Cruz and others on the right are angry over comments from George Koob, director of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, who told the Daily Mail that those recommendations could eventually change.

“I mean, they’re not going to go up, I’m pretty sure,” he told the newspaper, noting that Canada’s guidelines currently recommend a limit of two drinks per week and said any eventual change in the United States could move more in that direction.

The guidelines won’t change until 2025 at the earliest, and even then they would remain just recommendations and nothing more.

But Cruz is so livid that he went on Newsmax to awkwardly sip a beer in protest....

61% of Americans live paycheck to paycheck, yet this is what this dude is outraged over? Please!
I don’t drink beer and I still know I’d look less awkward than this if I downed one.
Truly genuine and totally not phony blue-collar energy here
The disingenuous nature of this shit is exhausting. Maybe a recommendation comes saying you should drink no more than two beers per week.

So what?

You'll still have the choice of drinking more (or less).
This is the corniest shit I’ve ever seen.

Priceton grad Ted Cruz tries to look like a tough guy about a fake story—dropping a “kiss my ass” and taking a sip of beer in unison with his tough guy “friends.”
Joe Walsh
(Host, "White Flag with Joe Walsh." Former Candidate for President. Former Congressman.)

On the right, the whole point is to scare the fuck out of your audience. I used to do some of this. The whole point is to spread fear. Brown people are coming to your neighborhood to commit crimes, and the government is gonna limit the amount of beer you can drink. Fear sells.
“I have an unopened beer - which is my understanding of how beer is served in very regular bars like this one - which, I assure you, I enjoy frequenting very much with other very regular men like me.”
Good point. Teddy doesn't know that the bartender always opens the beer. Opps.
Ivy league elitist with kids in private school, who kisses the butt of a man who mocked his wife, went to Cancun during a national emergency in his state.
How exhausting it must be to constantly keep the maga cult outraged
:lol: :thumbup:
Wait isn’t the 2 beers a week thing just some health guy’s suggestion? When have any of us ever listened to those people?
Bazinga!

Alcoholism might explain Teddy's flushed face and chronic whiny stupidity.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Canada's fault. And that "recommendation" is being roundly ignored. As it should be

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2023/08/07/ ... ugh-a-day/

It's all a part of a giant conspiracy brought to you be the descendants of those responsible for the widely successful "prohibition." Every year social, if not legal, restrictions grow. Remember Sinatra "One for my Baby, One More for the Road"? Think that would sell now? Remember when DUI was not socially worse than any other serious traffic citation? Now people get cancelled over it. Remember the "two martini lunch", which might not have been exactly real but certainly having a beer or a glass of wine with lunch on a work day was totally acceptable. Creeping prohibition. Social engineering. Now if they put those people to work on guns, it might be worthwhile.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:47 pm
Canada's fault. And that "recommendation" is being roundly ignored. As it should be

https://www.whiskeyriff.com/2023/08/07/ ... ugh-a-day/

It's all a part of a giant conspiracy brought to you be the descendants of those responsible for the widely successful "prohibition." Every year social, if not legal, restrictions grow. Remember Sinatra "One for my Baby, One More for the Road"? Think that would sell now? Remember when DUI was not socially worse than any other serious traffic citation? Now people get cancelled over it. Remember the "two martini lunch", which might not have been exactly real but certainly having a beer or a glass of wine with lunch on a work day was totally acceptable. Creeping prohibition. Social engineering. Now if they put those people to work on guns, it might be worthwhile.
Your article is making fun of people who dismiss the health data. Are you saying that DUI enforcement and social condemnation are bad things?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I might have been a bit tongue in cheek about the "giant conspiracy" but not about the creeping toward prohibition, which appears to be intentional.
I'm saying that unless you hurt somebody, that DUI ought to be a traffic violation, no more and no less, and on a points scale similar to reckless driving. If you do hurt somebody, the charge ought to be vehicular homicide, or assault with a deadly vehicle, or whatever is appropriate, and books can be thrown. But now just the charge of DUI - even if you've pulled over into a parking lot - can and often does have major personal cost past just an insurance increase.

I'm saying that people have been drinking since before the first Viking made the first mead and over the past 20-30ish years or so, there have been increasingly tight "guidelines". I don't think this is entirely scientific or medical findings. It's surely not scientific or medical reasoning that sets the age to drink at 21 in the same places that guns can be bought and people can be sentenced to death/life imprisonment at 18. The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 forced states to raise their legal age for purchase or public possession of alcohol to 21 or risk losing millions in federal highway funds. Who was President then? That would be Reagan and his "Just Say No" First Lady. Coincidence or conspiracy? Then it was legal limit down from .10 to .08. What's next - closing drive-through Daiquiri stands in New Orleans?

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:54 pm
I might have been a bit tongue in cheek about the "giant conspiracy" but not about the creeping toward prohibition, which appears to be intentional.
I don't see the evidence for that.
I'm saying that unless you hurt somebody, that DUI ought to be a traffic violation, no more and no less, and on a points scale similar to reckless driving. If you do hurt somebody, the charge ought to be vehicular homicide, or assault with a deadly vehicle, or whatever is appropriate, and books can be thrown. But now just the charge of DUI - even if you've pulled over into a parking lot - can and often does have major personal cost past just an insurance increase.
The point is prevention rather than just retribution.
CDC: Impaired Driving Is an Important Public Health Problem

* In 2020, 11,654 people were killed in motor vehicle crashes involving alcohol-impaired drivers, accounting for 30% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States.1 This was a 14.3% increase compared to the number of crash deaths involving alcohol-impaired drivers in 2019.
* 32 people in the United States are killed every day in crashes involving an alcohol-impaired driver—this is one death every 45 minutes.
* The annual estimated cost of crash deaths involving alcohol-impaired drivers totaled about $123.3 billion* in 2020. These costs include medical costs and cost estimates for lives lost.
O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:54 pm
I'm saying that people have been drinking since before the first Viking made the first mead and over the past 20-30ish years or so, there have been increasingly tight "guidelines". I don't think this is entirely scientific or medical findings.
Your link:
These changes were made in response to the World Health Organization’s warning that no amount of alcohol is safe.
I think you need to prove the health data wrong.
It's surely not scientific or medical reasoning that sets the age to drink at 21 in the same places that guns can be bought and people can be sentenced to death/life imprisonment at 18.
I'd be fine with raising the age for gun purchase and death/life imprisonment sentencing to 21.
The National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984 forced states to raise their legal age for purchase or public possession of alcohol to 21 or risk losing millions in federal highway funds.
That is indeed a limited prohibition, one that has not been extended since. It was meant to reduce the roadway death toll, but I don't know that a ban on all youth drinking was wisest.
Who was President then? That would be Reagan and his "Just Say No" First Lady. Coincidence or conspiracy? Then it was legal limit down from .10 to .08.
Guilt by association? I think it had more to do with the rise of MADD than with the Reagans. Aha:
National Minimum Drinking Age Act

... With the lowering of the voting age to 18, the minimum legal drinking age (MLDA) was similarly lowered under the notion that by being able to vote (and for males, be subject to being involuntarily drafted into the enlisted ranks of the military), one should also be able to legally consume alcoholic beverages.

However, these changes were soon followed by studies showing a significant increase in motor vehicle fatalities attributable to the decreased MLDA. In response to these findings, many states raised the minimum legal drinking age to 19 (and sometimes to 20 or 21). In 1984, the National Minimum Legal Drinking Act, written by Senator Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ) and influenced by Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD), required all states to set their minimum purchasing age to 21. Any state that chooses not to comply with the act would have up to 10 percent of its federal highway funds withheld....
No mention of Reagan instigation. Ftr, I would favor raising the minimum military draft and enlistment age to 21.
What's next - closing drive-through Daiquiri stands in New Orleans?
"44 oz Mega 190 Octane Daiquiri" — assuming at least one shot per 12 oz daiquiri, that's at least 4 drinks sold to drivers! Discussion
Edit: OPPS! My bad:
IBA specified ingredients

60 ml white Cuban rum
20 ml fresh lime juice
2 bar spoons superfine sugar
So, a 44 oz daiquiri, assuming no extra ingredients, is 33 oz of booze, less if diluted with ice. A fifth of rum is a little over 25 oz. :shock:

Fwiw, boozers created far more tragedy and work for me than druggies, even in 1990 Oakland. I am not bothered by health science-based information, and consideration of such when crafting policy.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:51 pm

So, a 44 oz daiquiri, assuming no extra ingredients, is 33 oz of booze, less if diluted with ice. A fifth of rum is a little over 25 oz. :shock:

So truth is, I rarely drink at all anymore. But I can personally attest that 4 open half full bloody marys, stereo playing Zachary Richard a bit louder than necessary, and an attempt to turn the wrong way down an alley does not earn a traffic ticket during JazzFest, much less an arrest.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

There's at least 20 ounces of ice in that 44 ounce drink

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:09 pm
Vrede too wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:51 pm

So truth is, I rarely drink at all anymore. But I can personally attest that 4 open half full bloody marys, stereo playing Zachary Richard a bit louder than necessary, and an attempt to turn the wrong way down an alley does not earn a traffic ticket during JazzFest, much less an arrest.
I down to 5 or 6 drinks per year. What happened?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Equivalencies

Dropped cigarette or joint in lap = 2.5 drinks
Applying makeup while driving = 2 drinks
Driving while having a coughing fit = 3 drinks
Driving while on phone = 1 drink
Driving while texting = 27 drinks - don't do it
Driving to doctor with injury or high fever = 3 to 5 drinks
That time I drove with a 104°temp = 3 drinks
That time I drove to the hospital with a ruptured appendix and passed out in parking lot and fell out of moving vehicle = at least a quart.

Sorry, but driving is dangerous, but it makes little sense to focus on one thing.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:12 pm
There's at least 20 ounces of ice in that 44 ounce drink
Assuming that you're not exaggerating that's still 18 oz of rum, not far from a fifth.

I used to drink a fair bit, but now I MAYBE down a beer or two for major sporting events.
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 11:25 pm
Equivalencies

Dropped cigarette or joint in lap = 2.5 drinks
Applying makeup while driving = 2 drinks
Driving while having a coughing fit = 3 drinks
Driving while on phone = 1 drink
Driving while texting = 27 drinks - don't do it
Driving to doctor with injury or high fever = 3 to 5 drinks
That time I drove with a 104°temp = 3 drinks
That time I drove to the hospital with a ruptured appendix and passed out in parking lot and fell out of moving vehicle = at least a quart.

Sorry, but driving is dangerous, but it makes little sense to focus on one thing.
:lol: Distracted driving, including texting, is illegal in most states. It makes sense to focus on the things that can be measured. Being drunk is one of them.
1312. ETTD.