Beer Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
O Really
Admiral

Re: Beer Thread

Unread post by O Really »

Well said.
Don't forget driving while sleepy
Driving after fight with spouse or kid
Driving while male under 25 in a jacked up pickup

O Really
Admiral

DUI penalties have gotten bigger:
California First Offense DUI
License suspension of 4 months or longer
Up to 6 months in jail
Fines and fees of up to $3,600 dollars (the total costcan range up to $15,649)
Three months of DUI school
Possible installation of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle
Three to five years DUI probation
The cost ​of impaired driving
B.C. has the toughest drinking and driving laws in Canada. If you’re caught driving impaired, you could face these penalties:

Driving suspensions from 24 hours to 90 days
Vehicle impoundment
Fines, from $600 ​to $4,060
Jail time
Mandatory rehabilitation
Installation of ignition interlock in your vehicle
You may also have to pay a driver risk premium, on top of your insurance.

If you crash while driving impaired, you're likely in breach of your insurance policy. That means you could be personally responsible for 100 percent of the costs if you damage someone else's property or injure them.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

O Really wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 12:25 am
DUI penalties have gotten bigger:
California First Offense DUI
License suspension of 4 months or longer
Up to 6 months in jail
Fines and fees of up to $3,600 dollars (the total costcan range up to $15,649)
Three months of DUI school
Possible installation of an ignition interlock device on your vehicle
Three to five years DUI probation
The cost ​of impaired driving
B.C. has the toughest drinking and driving laws in Canada. If you’re caught driving impaired, you could face these penalties:

Driving suspensions from 24 hours to 90 days
Vehicle impoundment
Fines, from $600 ​to $4,060
Jail time
Mandatory rehabilitation
Installation of ignition interlock in your vehicle
You may also have to pay a driver risk premium, on top of your insurance.

If you crash while driving impaired, you're likely in breach of your insurance policy. That means you could be personally responsible for 100 percent of the costs if you damage someone else's property or injure them.
As qualifications for DUI get smaller

As they should, (and I speak Florida only) but with a little more common sense too. The guy who stops by the bar after work for 2 beers over an hour or so isn't so impaired as to be lumped with the idiot who can't walk, much less drive.
Then there's the huge jump from fines and the like, if part of the 1 or 2 % caught, to 10 or 20 years in prison for 1/2 a beer (true Santa Rosa County story) and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Edit: Florida law - under 21 can't drink any and drive ever.
Headline could have read: driver dead as carload of drunk teen cheerleaders slams into rear of a poor loner type teens car while he was stopped at a traffic light on the last day of school. He had had a half of a beer.
I forget exactly, but he got over 10 years, plus a lifetime of hardship.
DUI laws seem to be driven more by the MADD types, who have lost someone, lashing out their vengeance at the world, rather than by cool heads and experts.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:00 am

As they should, (and I speak Florida only) but with a little more common sense too. The guy who stops by the bar after work for 2 beers over an hour or so isn't so impaired as to be lumped with the idiot who can't walk, much less drive.
Then there's the huge jump from fines and the like, if part of the 1 or 2 % caught, to 10 or 20 years in prison for 1/2 a beer (true Santa Rosa County story) and being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
2 beers, let alone "1/2 a beer", can only put the tiniest of people over the limit, MAYBE. Also, prosecutorial discretion usually means that the barely illegal and the blotto are not treated equally. Then, the blottos can and do rack up additional charges like reckless driving.

Please link the "true Santa Rosa County story". Is there more to the tale?
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:20 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:

2 beers, let alone "1/2 a beer", can only put the tiniest of people over the limit, MAYBE. Also, prosecutorial discretion usually means that the barely illegal and the blotto are not treated equally. Then, the blottos can and do rack up additional charges like reckless driving.

It's been 20 years, but I'll look. Our under 21 DUI laws seem to be just picking on the defenseless. If the kid sitting at the light had money, likely there's no prison.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 am
Vrede too wrote:
... Please link the "true Santa Rosa County story". Is there more to the tale?
It's been 20 years, but I'll look. Our under 21 DUI laws seem to be just picking on the defenseless. If the kid sitting at the light had money, likely there's no prison.
As I posted to O Really, I don't know that a ban on all youth drinking was the wisest and fairest way to reduce youth MVCs.

Most laws can be applied unequally and/or are used to favor the rich. That doesn't necessarily make the law bad.

I must have lost track, what "kid sitting at the light"?
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Too many other more recent dui wreck, I guess.
It you want to look. It was graduation day about 20 years ago. The girls were cheerleaders and from prominent families.

https://www.blslawyers.com/dui-injuries ... orida.html

The Comparative Damages aspect should have applied, I think. I guess that's where money and even skin color come into play.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:53 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:42 am
Vrede too wrote:
... Please link the "true Santa Rosa County story". Is there more to the tale?
As I posted to O Really, I don't know that a ban on all youth drinking was the wisest and fairest way to reduce youth MVCs.

Most laws can be applied unequally and/or are used to favor the rich. That doesn't necessarily make the law bad.

I must have lost track, what "kid sitting at the light"?
I thought I got to the Edit in time. Apparently not.

Edit: Florida law - under 21 can't drink any and drive ever.
Headline could have read: driver dead as carload of drunk teen cheerleaders slams into rear of a poor loner type teens car while he was stopped at a traffic light on the last day of school. He had had a half of a beer.
I forget exactly, but he got over 10 years, plus a lifetime of hardship.
DUI laws seem to be driven more by the MADD types, who have lost someone, lashing out their vengeance at the world, rather than by cool heads and experts.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2023 8:59 am
Too many other more recent dui wreck, I guess.
It you want to look. It was graduation day about 20 years ago. The girls were cheerleaders and from prominent families.

https://www.blslawyers.com/dui-injuries ... orida.html

The Comparative Damages aspect should have applied, I think. I guess that's where money and even skin color come into play.
Not enough info for me to search, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to glean from your link and subsequent statement.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

O Really
Admiral

Somebody might be a bit bitter.