OWS

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Re: OWS

Unread post by Seth Milner »

rstrong wrote: Is it fair to judge Christians by lone bigots like Mr.B?
How did Mr.B get thrown into that mix of comments? He hadn't said anything.

Are you insinuating that only Christians are bigots? I've met people from all walks of life, Christians, atheists, Democrats, Republicans, men, women, Red, Yellow, Black, and White who believe, think, or whatever, that homosexuality is an unnatural trait that goes entirely against laws of Nature. Does that really constitute bigotry? Is it fair to judge all those groups as bigots simply because they believe that homosexuality is wrong?

You're entitled to your opinions of homosexuals that, in your mind must make you a saint. Because others do not share your like opinions, why should they be put down and be called names?
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:
rstrong wrote: Is it fair to judge Christians by lone bigots like Mr.B?
Are you insinuating that only Christians are bigots?
Of course not. See my reply to you earlier today in the Religion thread. Mr.B is a bigot, but it's he (and you) that wrap Christianity around his bigotry. Much the same way that bigots and demagogues wrap the flag around themselves and declare an attack on their claims to be an attack on the country.

Few Christians want anything to do with Mr.B's hatred, just like few in the Tea Party or OWS want anything to do with the worst aspects of either's rallies.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Seth Milner wrote: I've met people from all walks of life, Christians, atheists, Democrats, Republicans, men, women, Red, Yellow, Black, and White who believe, think, or whatever, that homosexuality is an unnatural trait that goes entirely against laws of Nature. Does that really constitute bigotry? Is it fair to judge all those groups as bigots simply because they believe that homosexuality is wrong?
The bigotry comes in not because of what they believe, but through what they expect others to do. I you (nor you personally, just generically) think homosexuality is unnatural and wrong - fine. Taking that belief and supporting denial of civil rights - ummm, that might be bigotry. Trashing a person you don't know and aren't likely to meet because they are or you believe them to be homosexual - that might be bigotry. Classifying the entirety of a person's life because of his/her sexual orientation - that might be bigotry.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

rstrong wrote: Few Christians want anything to do with Mr.B's hatred,
Why do you call it hatred? He's repeatedly stated his stance, only you call it hatred.
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Seth Milner wrote:
rstrong wrote: Few Christians want anything to do with Mr.B's hatred,
Why do you call it hatred? He's repeatedly stated his stance, only you call it hatred.
Have you even read his posts? He goes far beyond "I disagree" or "I'm opposed." Even far beyond his name calling ("vile", "perverted", "evil", etc.), he likes to equate homosexuality with pedophilia.

I call it hatred because it's hatred. And that's putting it lightly.

Colonel Taylor
Marshal

Unread post by Colonel Taylor »

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Colonel Taylor wrote:Image
In case you haven't figured it out, someone is photoshopping in these messages to back their right-wing fantasies. You can see how the d's, a's, i's etc. are all perfectly identical. It's a font coming from a computer.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

rstrong wrote:. . . In case you haven't figured it out . . . .
He hasn't. He won't.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

rstrong wrote: In case you haven't figured it out, someone is photoshopping in these messages to back their right-wing fantasies. You can see how the d's, a's, i's etc. are all perfectly identical. It's a font coming from a computer.
Did the 'f' come from the facebook logo?

The 'n' letters are identical as well. What's a little photoshop gonna hurt anyway?

Bungalow Bill
Ensign

Unread post by Bungalow Bill »

She didn't even get a crummy tee shirt. :(

O Really
Admiral

Here's fun - ask Google to find the pic. It shows up in a lot of places, many of which acknowledge that it's fake, but defend the position anyway. Or acknowledge it's fake but say probably somebody real has done one. Or just get off on how universities offering such (obviously fictional) programs are ruining "Merica." Not enough villages left to contain them.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

rstrong wrote:
Colonel Taylor wrote:Image
In case you haven't figured it out, someone is photoshopping in these messages to back their right-wing fantasies. You can see how the d's, a's, i's etc. are all perfectly identical. It's a font coming from a computer.
That pic would have totally fooled me if they had only used comic sans, maybe even Wingdings.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

A decade ago a soldier's picture with an Iraqi kid holding a cardboard sign became a popular meme - after someone created a web site where anyone could type In new text for the sign to create a new image. Needless to say, not all the versions of the image endlessly posted elsewhere were politically correct.

No doubt there's web sites now where you can select any number of images like the one above, and add your own text.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

$96,000/per Taylor kid's
studies and he still whines
about others being takers!

:D
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

"It's hard to believe that gay Americans achieved full constitutional personhood just five years after corporations did."
-- Stephen Colbert

:D :(
1312. ETTD.

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

Vrede too wrote:"It's hard to believe that gay Americans achieved full constitutional personhood just five years after corporations did."
-- Stephen Colbert :D :(
Spoken by a truly great philosopher.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

‘You Can Legally Bribe a Government Official’

... When Eric Holder first joined law firm Covington & Burling in 2001, he was coming from a stint as deputy attorney general under Bill Clinton. So it’s no wonder that when Holder went to the Obama administration as attorney general, the folks at Covington kept his seat warm.

And indeed, for many, Holder’s seamless slide from theoretically prosecuting big banks to defending big banks from prosecution is a common-sense phenomenon only the hopelessly naïve would bother to decry. He’s a lawyer, what do you expect? was the substance of many a comment –of what comment there was, because, again, this latest glimpse of the porous tissue between regulator and regulated went down as no news at all for most of the press.

... I think this is not just a scandal for the Justice Department in that so many of the officials, not just Holder, but his top deputy Lanny Breuer also returned to Covington & Burling after serving for a few years in the Obama administration—this is a scandal for the media.

One of the perhaps most cynical and and most prevalent ways that you can legally bribe a government official or an elected official is to wait to give them a multi-million dollar check, not while they’re in office, but as soon as they retire....

But because this has become so routine, that this happens every day, whether it’s a member of Congress or a high level regulator, or in this case, the head of the Justice Department, this has become such a function of life in Washington, DC, it’s no longer a scandal in the eyes of many reporters....

... A top lobbyist for Chevron, Stephen Sayle is now a senior staff member for the House Committee on Science, which oversees science policy for the federal government. This is a lobbyist, Mr. Sayle, who has helped Chevron beat back regulatory efforts that rest on federal science, whether it’s on the ozone or on climate change....

But that isn’t a unique dynamic. In the last two Congresses, we’ve seen an unprecedented wholesale change in the senior staff positions in Congress, and I’m referring to the chief of staff, which reports directly to a member of Congress or senator, or the staff director position, and that’s the position that oversees either a committee or a subcommittee. In almost every single position for staff director, we’ve seen lobbyists for the relevant industry take those spots.

So for the Agricultural Committee, which oversees school lunches and nutrition guidelines, we now have a Pepsi lobbyist who is overseeing that committee. In the Senate Armed Services Committee, which oversees military spending, we have a lobbyist for the trade group that represents Lockheed Martin and Boeing now leading that committee. So from committee to committee, whether it’s on chemical safety, whether it’s on pollution or on school lunches, we have lobbyists for the industries affected now running the show from the inside....
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Keeping Our Campaigns Honest Act (H.R.2125) :lol:
SIGN THE PETITION

Members of Congress:

We need to get big money out of our elections, but in the meantime, we desperately need more transparency and tougher disclosure requirements on election spending.

The FCC can and should play a role. I strongly urge you to SUPPORT the Keeping Our Campaigns Honest Act (H.R.2125) to direct the FCC to require more transparency!
1312. ETTD.