The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Wneglia
Midshipman

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by Wneglia »

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Seth Milner »

OK, so I drive up to Hendersonville today to check out this critically acclaimed Apple Festival I've been hearing so much about. I come into town and park at the first place I come to, a large church on my left. (I had already heard that all parking was $5) I walk the couple of blocks to Main Street and find an atmosphere with tempting smells reminiscent of walking into the county fair or a carnival. My first disappointment was in discovering that the majority of the vendor tents were merely hawking trinkets imported into town by traveling rovers who crisscross the country; going to fairs, carnivals, and festivals or anywhere they can rent a spot. Much of their merchandise can be found in places like Gatlinburg, Cherokee, Sturgis, or practically all beach towns.
Moving on to the food was a heavenly delight! Image I don't remember what it called now, but it was similar in style to a Philly cheese steak; loaded with beef(?), cheese, fried onions, and some other unrecognizable delights that I washed down with ice-cold Pepsi. Man, that was good!
The wide variety of apple delights, some I never knew existed, (or possible) were out of this world!

I'm coming back Sunday! Image

My hat's off to the local farmers who I understand that this festival was dedicated to many years ago. :thumbup: :clap:
Don't take life too seriously; No one gets out alive

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

Unfortunately, all festivals seem to have the same vendors. But yes, the food is different and in many spots really good. I was at a festival a few years ago in Yarmouth, ME, and the same vendors (or at least appeared to sell the same stuff) were there, but there were the best clams everrrr. None of this skinny clammy stuff. Real, thick, tasty, and fresh. The lobstah wasn't bad, either. We're going to the Apple festival tomorrow, and maybe I'll try the "philly style" place. But as a former resident of the city of ummm, "brotherly love" :lol: my standards are pretty high. If I order and they don't know what I mean by "wit" I'll probably eat somewhere else.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

I went back today and sampled more of the home-grown goodies! Glad I brought along some Alka-Seltzer! I saw my self on the evening news!
I think I'll give myself an autograph!

O Really
Admiral

Reconsidered, didn't make it. Went to LAAFF instead. Glad you had a good time.

Seth Milner
Lieutenant Commander

O Really wrote:Reconsidered, didn't make it. Went to LAAFF instead. Glad you had a good time.
I started to go there! I decided I was too lazy to drive on to Asheville. Thanks, hope you had a good time as well!
I sort of wish I had gone to LAAFF though; you could buy beer there. With my luck though, I would have had to spend the night in a motel; after someone drove me there! An ice-cold brewski would have been excellent fare with that sandwich I had in Hendersonville.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

People around the world are eating banana peels because they know something that Westerners do not

Interesting, I may try it though I do compost so it's not a solid waste issue for me.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede too wrote:People around the world are eating banana peels because they know something that Westerners do not

Interesting, I may try it though I do compost so it's not a solid waste issue for me.
You can also use discarded banana peels to trip burglars by tossing them in the hallways of your home when you finish eating a banana.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

JTA wrote:You can also use discarded banana peels to trip burglars by tossing them in the hallways of your home when you finish eating a banana.
Discarded banana peels and quicksand have both turned out to be much smaller problems than I was led to believe when I was growing up.

O Really
Admiral

"The average American eats 38 bananas annually"????? Seriously? I must be eating a bunch of other people's share. I pretty much have a banana at breakfast every day, and sometimes a snack. That puts me me 10 times the average. I'll try the peels, but none of the suggested methods of prep appeal to me. What happens if you just eat it straight?

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

O Really wrote: What happens if you just eat it straight?
That's how real men do it. It puts hair on your back and chest and makes your beard grow faster.
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

O Really wrote:"The average American eats 38 bananas annually"????? Seriously? I must be eating a bunch of other people's share. I pretty much have a banana at breakfast every day, and sometimes a snack. That puts me me 10 times the average. I'll try the peels, but none of the suggested methods of prep appeal to me. What happens if you just eat it straight?
Come to think of it, the only bananas I've eaten in the last couple of years have been in banana shakes.

Mmmmm... banana shake....

Keep in mind that the bananas commonly eaten in Africa and southeast Asia and not the same as what we eat. We eat sweet "dessert bananas", today almost always from the Cavendish group. Elsewhere you'll find starchy "cooking bananas" which need preparation before they're eaten. Pounded or mashed and steam-cooked to create Matoke for example.

East African Highland bananas are so important as food crops, the local name matoke is synonymous for the word "food" in Uganda.

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:
O Really wrote: What happens if you just eat it straight?
That's how real men do it. It puts hair on your back and chest and makes your beard grow faster.
More like putting hair on your tongue. Sticky bitter shit, mon. Maybe the cooking advice is good.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

"Fine, have it your way."
- Passive-aggressive Burger King

O Really
Admiral

35 Most Addictive Foods... https://www.yahoo.com/food/these-are-th ... 46953.html

I guess I'm clean - I don't eat any of the top 9.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How good is Ruth's Chris steakhouse in Asheville . . . good enough to sit through a new drug presentation in order to get a free meal?
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

Vrede too wrote:How good is Ruth's Chris steakhouse in Asheville . . . good enough to sit through a new drug presentation in order to get a free meal?
Yes!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Maybe I'll go for it and hope the drug company doesn't skimp on the menu options.
1312. ETTD.

O Really
Admiral

I rarely eat steak, or any red meat, actually, but if I'm looking for a really good one, it's off to Ruth's Chris. Pricey, but if somebody else is buying, so what. Not a place to go to count calories or fat, however.