The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
JTA
Commander

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by JTA »

Vrede wrote:Your wife is trying to kill you?

P.S. Tell her it's better with bacon.
Haha found that abomination on the internet.

I would replace the bologna with spam though to make it even more disgusting, and maybe even add some ketchup to it to give it a little hint of sweetness to offset the saltiness of the spam. Perfect!
You aren't doing it wrong if no one knows what you are doing.

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Add maple syrup.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

billy.pilgrim wrote:you should never eat seafood from anywhere in or near asia

stick with the gulf and atlantic
I only eat seafood when dangerously drunk; after being in the Navy and knowing how much trash is dumped into the oceans on a daily basis from hundreds of ships, I just can't do it anymore.

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

neoplacebo wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:you should never eat seafood from anywhere in or near asia

stick with the gulf and atlantic
I only eat seafood when dangerously drunk; after being in the Navy and knowing how much trash is dumped into the oceans on a daily basis from hundreds of ships, I just can't do it anymore.
If you're willing to eat an oyster, a lobster, a shrimp, or a crawfish at all - which I am, by the dozens - you're pretty much willing to eat whatever was dumped on them.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

O Really wrote: If you're willing to eat an oyster, a lobster, a shrimp, or a crawfish at all - which I am, by the dozens - you're pretty much willing to eat whatever was dumped on them.
Bottom feeders, literally. And I love 'em.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

O Really
Admiral

Boatrocker wrote:
O Really wrote: If you're willing to eat an oyster, a lobster, a shrimp, or a crawfish at all - which I am, by the dozens - you're pretty much willing to eat whatever was dumped on them.
:lol: :lol: And some would say "of course O Really would like bottom feeders" - how appropriate.

Boatrocker
Lieutenant Commander

Unread post by Boatrocker »

Vrede wrote:Or, that Boatrocker would love to eat O Really, nttawwt. :o :P
If he tastes like fried oyster, it may prove hard to resist.
I will not lie down.
I will not go quietly.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Yeah, most folks don't like bad news, and this would also tend to collide with the corporate profit motive in a way they'd rather not be publicized. Maybe in the future soft drinks will be banned from tv ads like cigarettes were. Hell, I remember when movies and tv shows typically showed the actors smoking as regular normal behavior. Even Andy Griffith smoked in his sheriff uniform but I never saw Barney smoke. I saw him drink moonshine once, though.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

I was just thinking about this and wanted to share with you all, in case you've made something similar.

Anyway, I'm sitting here listenin to Foghat I think. Maybe Creedance is on now. That's not important though, well it sort of is. Anyway I came up with this recipe sitting here and I wanted to share. I haven't tested it yet, but I will sometime.

1) Hot Dogs
2) Mexican cheese
3) Lettuce
4) Onions or mushrooms.
5) Tortillos

Quesadilla-dogs I call them.

Enjoy!

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

1) Hot Dogs
2) Mexican cheese
3) Lettuce
4) Onions or mushrooms.
5) Tortillas

Enjoy!

O Really
Admiral

JTA wrote:I was just thinking about this and wanted to share with you all, in case you've made something similar.

Anyway, I'm sitting here listenin to Foghat I think. Maybe Creedance is on now. That's not important though, well it sort of is. Anyway I came up with this recipe sitting here and I wanted to share. I haven't tested it yet, but I will sometime.

1) Hot Dogs
2) Mexican cheese
3) Lettuce
4) Onions or mushrooms.
5) Tortillos

Enjoy!
So you take a flour tortillo (which is going to turn this thing into a wrap), exchange the hot dog for a brat, add cheese, lettuce, mushrooms and grilled onions, slather generously with brown mustard - yum! Chase it down with a good stout.

JTA
Commander

Unread post by JTA »

Memorial day treats (potentially)

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Boatrocker wrote:

they are great little cleaning systems

and where does your water come from

In a
number of carefully controlled trials, scientists have demonstrated that if
we drink 1 liter of water each day, at the end of the year we would have
absorbed more than 1 kilo of Escherichia coli, (E. coli) - bacteria found
in feces. In other words, we are consuming 1 kilo of
poop.

However,
we do NOT run that risk when drinking wine & beer (or tequila, rum,
whiskey or other liquors) because alcohol has to go through a purification
process of boiling, filtering and/or fermenting.

Remember:
Water = Poop, Wine = Health

Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water
and be full of shit.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Unread post by Guest »

JTA wrote:Honest question for everyone - Do you think we could produce enough food if we didn't use industrialized farming methods? Even if we could, do you think food prices would rise significantly causing hardships for people on lower incomes?

yes - simply requiring transportation and industry to pay for the costs they dump on taxpayers would be enough to bring industry and jobs back home; along with local knowledge of production and quality would increase

one of the major chicken producers is now sending dead (I'm sure they were gentle) chicken to china, to be canned and shipped back to the US for consumption by the unsupecting

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

JTA wrote:Honest question for everyone - Do you think we could produce enough food if we didn't use industrialized farming methods? Even if we could, do you think food prices would rise significantly causing hardships for people on lower incomes?
yes - simply requiring transportation and industry to pay for the costs they dump on taxpayers would be enough to bring industry and jobs back home; along with local knowledge of production and quality would increase

one of the major chicken producers is now sending dead (I'm sure they were gentle) chicken to china, to be canned and shipped back to the US for consumption by the unsupecting
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

rstrong
Captain

Unread post by rstrong »

Fish caught in Lake Winnipeg half an hour north of here is sold on local store shelves - as a "product of China." It's shipped there, processed, and shipped back.
Agreed.

Keep in mind that there's another motive in place:

There was a common saying a decade or so ago that no two countries with McDonalds restaurants had ever been at war with each other. The reason being that once they had an economy that could support McDonalds franchises, the effects on the local economy made launching wars unthinkable.

And so instead of the decades-long cost of a Cold War with China - complete with US/Soviet style Mutual Assured Destruction - the US opened trade in a big way. Not only did China modernize, but it became so dependent on exports to the US that attacking the US would destroy its own economy. And in turn probably lead to the overthrow of its own government. Heck, China even subsidizes US debt so that the US can continue to buy Chinese goods and labor.

Of course this was supposed to be balanced by needing less defence spending. But Halliburton and the rest had other plans and a lot of bribe lobbying money. And former Halliburton CEO (and still stock holder) Cheney was installed in the White House to start a different war.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

homerfobe
Ensign

Unread post by homerfobe »

billy.pilgrim wrote:Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of shit.
It's really hard to tell which you drink the most of. Your posts are a reflection of either Are you ever going to clear up those zits on your avatar?
Proudly Telling It Like It Is: In Your Face! Whether You Like It Or Not!

Mr.B
A bad person.

Unread post by Mr.B »

homerfobe wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:"Therefore, it's better to drink wine and talk stupid, than to drink water and be full of sh*t."
"Are you ever going to clear up those zits on your avatar?"

Image►►►►►►Image
ewwwww!

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.