The Food Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Re: The Food Thread

Unread post by Vrede too »

KFC: Mission Accomplished on Antibiotics
With this commitment, the popular fast-food restaurant is helping to transform antibiotic use practices in the chicken industry.

... Starting in 2014, in response to increasing consumer concern about the antibiotic resistance crisis—fueled by overuse of these drugs—restaurant chains and their suppliers set of a remarkable domino effect in the chicken industry when it came to responsible antibiotic use practices. The following year, NRDC and allies first published the annual Chain Reaction scorecard grading the top 25 restaurant chains on their antibiotics policies and practices; just five received passing grades.

By 2016, when NRDC first directly encouraged KFC, the nation’s most iconic chicken chain, to take action, we were in the midst of an arc of change—and the company’s announcement in 2017 pushed the chicken industry past the tipping point. By the time we released our fourth Chain Reaction scorecard last fall, 18 of out of the top 25 restaurant chains in the United States had meaningful antibiotic policies in place, the vast majority of them for chicken. More than half of the U.S. chicken industry—spurred by commitments from fast-food chains and meat producers—is now under a commitment to address antibiotics overuse in its supply chain....
Not my usual, but I'm going to celebrate with a bucket of KFC.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Mackerel is off the menu as stocks fall

It’s delicious, it’s good for you and until now you didn’t even have to feel guilty about eating it because it has been in plentiful supply.

But conservationists are warning shoppers to avoid mackerel, which is set to lose its status as a sustainable food because of rampant overfishing....
:( I used to eat mackerel fairly regularly.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Urge Congress to pass the Fairness for Farmworkers Act

Farmworkers are some of the least protected workers in the country when it comes to on-the-job harms. They are also excluded from federal standards for minimum wage and overtime pay guaranteed to other workers.

Last week, the Fairness for Farmworkers Act was introduced by Senator Harris and Representative Grijalva to fight this discrimination against farmworkers. Urge your Representative to support the Fairness for Farmworkers Act, today.
1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

You don't have to be a corporation or a politician to screw the public anymore, even universities are doing it.

"Everybody is doing it now"
Commander Cody and His Lost Planet Airmen

https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/loca ... estigation

"The public relations campaign comes after I-Team Investigator Kylie McGivern uncovered UF develops new types of blueberries -- a program designed to help Florida's farmers -- and then made millions of dollars by selling the rights to grow those blueberries to the foreign competition"
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

We had our first mess of poke salad last night. Shouldn't be long now for you Carolina folks.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

O Really
Admiral

Unread post by O Really »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:33 pm
We had our first mess of poke salad last night. Shouldn't be long now for you Carolina folks.
What does it taste like?

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:13 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
What does it taste like?
spinach is close

O Really
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:44 pm
O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
What does it taste like?
spinach is close
Love spinach. Toxic weed maybe not so much.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:53 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
What does it taste like?
spinach is close
Lots of foods require special preparation. Poke salad's is really pretty simple, pick very young leaves before there is any sign of purple in the stalks, boil in a lot of water, drain off the first water and re-boil in fresh water.

I also would still love to get some point mushrooms, but only because I know how to safely deal with the see.

Food storage also requires certain special activities to keep it from becoming "toxic".

I try to eat seasonal and local, always have.

O Really
Admiral

Lady O took a mushroom course a few years ago and is competent to gather wild. Shantrelles (sp?) are favorite. Just joking about the "toxic." Gotta watch your oysters, too, but that doesn't keep me from enjoying them.

GoCubsGo
Admiral

Unread post by GoCubsGo »

I thought poke was a sushi salad? Am I missing something?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poke_(Hawaiian_dish)
Eamus Catuli~AC 000000 000101 010202 020303 010304 020405....Ahhhh, forget it, it's gonna be a while.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am

Also:

An ice cream cone, poke (Ireland and Scotland) or cornet is a dry, cone-shaped pastry, usually made of a wafer similar in texture to a waffle, which enables ice cream to be held in the hand and eaten without a bowl or spoon. Various types of ice cream cones include wafer (or cake) cones, waffle cones, and sugar cones.
Poke (pudding)

Poke or "Po'e" is a dessert from the Cook Islands and French Polynesia that is made out of over-ripe bananas, arrowroot starch or tapioca starch and coconut cream. There is a pumpkin version of the dish as well.
This is what billy.pilgrim and O Really are discussing:
Phytolacca americana

Phytolacca americana, also known as American pokeweed, pokeweed, poke sallet, or poke salad, is a poisonous, herbaceous perennial plant in the pokeweed family Phytolaccaceae growing up to 8 ft (2.4m) in height. It has simple leaves on green to red or purplish stems and a large white taproot. The flowers are green to white, followed by purple to almost black berries which are a food source for songbirds such as gray catbird, northern mockingbird, northern cardinal, and brown thrasher, as well as other birds and some small animals (i.e., to species that are unaffected by its mammalian toxins).

Pokeweed is native to eastern North America, the Midwest, and the Gulf Coast, with more scattered populations in the far West. It is also naturalized in parts of Europe and Asia. It is considered a pest species by farmers.[not verified in body] Additionally, pokeweed poses a danger to human and animal populations via poisoning; with toxicity levels increasing as the plant matures, and with poisonous fruit. The young leaves can be made edible by proper cooking. It is used as an ornamental in horticulture, and it provokes interest for the variety of its natural products (toxins and other classes), for its ecological role, its historical role in traditional medicine, and for some utility in biomedical research (e.g., in studies of pokeweed mitogen). In the wild, it is easily found growing in pastures, recently cleared areas, and woodland openings, edge habitats such as along fencerows, and in wastelands.
Along with lard ODs, the confusion explains why so many Irish, Scottish, Hawaiian, French Polynesian and Cook Islands visitors to the South die from poisoning.
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:12 am
O Really wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:53 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
O Really wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
What does it taste like?
spinach is close
Lots of foods require special preparation. Poke salad's is really pretty simple, pick very young leaves before there is any sign of purple in the stalks, boil in a lot of water, drain off the first water and re-boil in fresh water.

I also would still love to get some point mushrooms, but only because I know how to safely deal with the see.

Food storage also requires certain special activities to keep it from becoming "toxic".

I try to eat seasonal and local, always have.

Proof read, proof read

psilocybin mushroom, not spell checked point mushrooms

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

GoCubsGo wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:35 am

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phytolacca_americana

And there's this

https://youtu.be/fRF24LY5pvw

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

It's 'proofread, proofread'. :P
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

How Much Do You Know About Tuna?
Various species are prized around the world—but they need better management

Every May 2, people around the globe celebrate World Tuna Day. The United Nations set aside this day to recognize the cultural, ecological, and economic significance of tuna and to highlight the importance of managing these fish stocks sustainably.

Tuna are among the most commercially important fish in the world, with the seven largest fisheries worth approximately $42.5 billion annually. But the huge demand for tuna—primarily as pricey sushi; tuna steaks; and mass-produced, affordable canned fish—has resulted in overfishing and mismanagement of many tuna populations.

But how much do you know about the various tuna species?

Test your knowledge by taking this quiz....
"You got 2 out of 5!" :(

Happy belated World Tuna Day!
1312. ETTD.

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Vrede too wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 4:55 pm
How Much Do You Know About Tuna?
Various species are prized around the world—but they need better management

Every May 2, people around the globe celebrate World Tuna Day. The United Nations set aside this day to recognize the cultural, ecological, and economic significance of tuna and to highlight the importance of managing these fish stocks sustainably.

Tuna are among the most commercially important fish in the world, with the seven largest fisheries worth approximately $42.5 billion annually. But the huge demand for tuna—primarily as pricey sushi; tuna steaks; and mass-produced, affordable canned fish—has resulted in overfishing and mismanagement of many tuna populations.

But how much do you know about the various tuna species?

Test your knowledge by taking this quiz....
"You got 2 out of 5!" :(

Happy belated World Tuna Day!
I used to have a really nice FM tuna but that was long ago. No, that's not right.....I know that some of those tuna, like a single fish (they're about the size of a man) can sell for 60 or 70 thousand bucks right out of the water. Hell, if I were a tuna fisherman I'd only have to catch one or two a year to be ok. Probably even be able to get an even nicer FM tuna for my efforts. Tuna brokers have to be careful not to bid on tubas, since B is next to N and in all the excitement about a particularly succulent tuna you could bid on a tuba by mistake. And, hell, you can't eat a tuba or play a tuna. That is all.