The Book Thread

Generally an unmoderated forum for discussion of pretty much any topic. The focus however, is usually politics.
billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Re: The Book Thread

Unread post by billy.pilgrim »

Whack9 wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:37 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:56 am
Whack9 wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:48 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:45 am
Whack9 wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:15 pm
Been on a post-apocalyptic fiction kick. Currently reading "The Death of Grass". Some others that I've read that are really good are "On the Beach", "The Earth Abides", and "The Dog Stars" (really good).
Have you read The Road? Much better than the movie.

It's by Cormac McCarthy, which reminds me, did you read his books about western NC?
I haven't read the road yet. I've seen the movie, though. Cormac McCarthy is a really good writer. The only other books of his I've read is Blood Meridian , All the Pretty Horses, and The Crossing.

Got any suggestions?

The Orchard Keeper (1965)
Outer Dark (1968)
Child of God (1973)

All 3 are short novels and are set in the NC area

Suttree (1979) was different from his other stuff and a little hard to read, but well worth the effort.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suttree
Just finished Outer Dark.

It was really good. I feel like it's a good book to re-read as McCarthy loads his stuff up with symbolism. A lot gets missed on the first reading. His books always feel like a hallucinogenic fever dream (and I like it).
Then you'll like Suttree.
Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:59 pm
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:45 am

Have you read The Road? Much better than the movie.

It's by Cormac McCarthy, which reminds me, did you read his books about western NC?
I haven't read the road yet. I've seen the movie, though. Cormac McCarthy is a really good writer. The only other books of his I've read is Blood Meridian , All the Pretty Horses, and The Crossing.

Got any suggestions?

Outer Dark (1968)
Child of God (1973)

Suttree (1979) was different from his other stuff and a little hard to read, but well worth the effort.

It was really good. I feel like it's a good book to re-read as McCarthy loads his stuff up with symbolism. A lot gets missed on the first reading. His books always feel like a hallucinogenic fever dream (and I like it).
Already read that one. I really enjoyed it. Might check out Child of God next.
I paid my fees to hip-hop college, sucka!

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Written about me. :lol:

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Delusions of Grandeur.

Read it now.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

neoplacebo wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:58 pm
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_of_God
Child of God (1973) is the third novel by American author Cormac McCarthy. It depicts the life of a violent young outcast and serial killer in 1960s Appalachian Tennessee.
:o

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:06 pm
neoplacebo wrote:
Child of God (1973) is the third novel by American author Cormac McCarthy. It depicts the life of a violent young outcast and serial killer in 1960s Appalachian Tennessee.
OMG

neoplacebo
Admiral of the Fleet

Unread post by neoplacebo »

Whack9 wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Shucks, I was only kidding. I admit to the young outcast part but that other shit must have been some other body.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

Unread post by Vrede too »

Whack9 wrote:
neoplacebo wrote:
Lester Ballard, serial stomper. Among god's creatures only groundhogs and hummingbirds were/are safe from him.
A clown with a flamethrower still has a flamethrower.
-- Charlie Sykes on MSNBC
1312. ETTD.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

1312. ETTD.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Trump: “We had the safest border in the history of our country - or at least recorded history. I guess maybe a thousand years ago it was even better.”

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

I may have mentioned this elsewhere (possibly over on LNF), but currently I'm enjoying some Zane Grey works. Currently the novel "Riders of the Purple Sage". I also remember the Grateful Dead had a spinoff band named "The New Riders of the Purple Sage". Although Grey reflects the racism and sexism of his time, it's pretty good stuff.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:19 am
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:

Got any suggestions?

Outer Dark (1968)
Child of God (1973)

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/202 ... r-the-road

"Sixteen years since his last novel, The Road, Cormac McCarthy’s long awaited follow-up has finally been confirmed – with not one, but two new novels to be published one month apart later this year.

The Passenger, out in October, and Stella Maris, out in November, follow siblings Bobby and Alicia Western, “who are tormented by the legacy of their father, a physicist who helped develop the atom bomb”, reported the New York Times on Tuesday."

Ulysses
Vice admiral

Unread post by Ulysses »

Finished Grey's "Riders of the Purple Sage". It seemed to end a bit abruptly, but with a happy conclusion.

The next half of the volume is "The Rainbow Trail", which is sort of a sequel to the "Riders of the Purple Sage" work. Not quite as interesting, but some elements of mystery in the first work seem to be answered, not that they were any huge mystery to begin with. Now I dimly remember reading the Riders work some years ago, but not the Rainbow half. I'm also aware that Mormons were none too fond of how they are portrayed in the Riders work. It remains to be seen if they come off any better in the sequel.

Stay tuned...

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 11:13 pm
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Outer Dark (1968)
Child of God (1973)

"Sixteen years since his last novel, The Road, Cormac McCarthy’s long awaited follow-up has finally been confirmed – with not one, but two new novels to be published one month apart later this year.

The Passenger, out in October, and Stella Maris, out in November, follow siblings Bobby and Alicia Western, “who are tormented by the legacy of their father, a physicist who helped develop the atom bomb”, reported the New York Times on Tuesday."
Oh man I just saw that. I'm super excited.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

O Really wrote:
Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 pm
Gift for billy.p and whack9:

https://www.wonkette.com/here-is-your-b ... -armistice
https://www.vonnegutmovie.com/

Dude spent 30 years making this documentary. It's priceless and on Prime.

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 8:07 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:

Have you read it yet?

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:40 pm
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:

Have you read it yet?
Not yet, have you?

Might check this out next.

Vrede too
Superstar Cultmaster

billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 10:25 am
They know. We even knew that in 1962.
A Reporter's Life

Walter Cronkite, 1997 (81 years old)

As the New York Times book review said, "It's the story of a modest man who succeeded extravagantly by remaining mostly himself -- succeeded in a demanding new medium, itself part of an exploding technology that made the world more complex by enabling peoples to know more about one another. And not unlike journalism itself, his memoir is a short course on the flow of events in the second half of this century -- events the world knows more about because of Walter Cronkite's work, and some of which might not have happened without it."
Very accessible and informative read, chock full of interesting anecdotes spanning decades. It's a chronicle of much of my life. Maybe Fascist DerSantis will ban it because of the discussion of the Civil Rights Movement and freedom movements in South Africa.

:clap: :-||
... The LA Times recounts, "Cronkite is entitled to boast--especially in a book that is less surprising for its hubris than for the bitterness with which it ends. After almost 400 pages of great stories, unforgettable characters and impressive journalistic achievements at CBS, Cronkite complains that ultimately he was 'driven from the temple where for 19 years . . . I had worshiped the great god News'." ...
Well put. IMO the book stumbles with its divergence into the subject Cronkite should have known best, the making of the News. It comes off as preachy, whiny and too lacking in taking responsibility for his enormous role in shaping our modern news coverage. Fortunately, he saves all of this for the end of the book and does not dwell on it too awful long.

John Grogan

Just a few months older than me. I found myself often relating to the personal and historical context of his writing.
... in 2002, he joined The Philadelphia Inquirer as a columnist. The Inquirer published a volume of his best articles in 2007 called Bad Dogs Have More Fun.
Despite the title less than 1/3 of the columns are about dogs and other animals. He has a very engaging style.

:clap:
Marley & Me: Life and Love with the World's Worst Dog

In 2003, when Grogan's dog, Marley, died at age thirteen, Grogan wrote a column in The Philadelphia Inquirer honoring him, and he received over 800 responses from his readers. The readers' astounding response and interest in Marley sparked Grogan's decision to write a book, due to the realization that he had "a bigger story to tell" and "owed it to Marley to tell the rest of the story."

In 2004, Grogan began writing Marley & Me, which is told in first-person narrative. Marley is a yellow Labrador retriever, boisterous, somewhat uncontrolled, powerful and often destructive of property but loyal and loving and always forgiven. Released in 2005, Marley & Me was an international bestseller, having sold over five million copies in over thirty languages. It spent 76 weeks on the bestseller list, and 23 of those weeks it stood at the #1 spot. His first book earned him Quill Awards in the Audiobook and Memoir/Biography categories in 2006. It was later adapted into a film that was released on December 25, 2008, starring Owen Wilson as Grogan (and Jennifer Aniston as Jenny Grogan)....
Finally got around to it.
:clap: :lol: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
1312. ETTD.

Whack9
Commander

Unread post by Whack9 »

I highly recommend this book if you're a nature nerd. Even if you're not, I still highly recommend it. One of the best I've read this year so far.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Braiding_Sweetgrass

Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge
Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants is a 2013 nonfiction book by Potawatomi professor Robin Wall Kimmerer, about the role of Indigenous knowledge as an alternative or complementary approach to Western mainstream scientific methodologies.

Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants is about botany and the relationship to land in Native American traditions.[1] Kimmerer, who is an enrolled member of the Citizen Potawatomi Nation, writes about her personal experiences working with plants and reuniting with her people's cultural traditions.[1] She also presents the history of the plants and botany from a scientific perspective.[1][2]

billy.pilgrim
Admiral

Whack9 wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:02 pm
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Wed Oct 26, 2022 7:40 pm
Whack9 wrote:
billy.pilgrim wrote:
Whack9 wrote:

Have you read it yet?
Not yet, have you?

Might check this out next.

https://news.yahoo.com/cormac-mccarthy- ... 30329.html

RIP Cormac